Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Trazodone for Opiate Withdrawal

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Trazodone for Opiate Withdrawal

I feel like a whiner after reading some of the posts here.

I am a chronic pot smoker of 30+ years (as well as abusing opiates with increasing frequency). As I get older, the detriment is outweighing the benefits. Pot is harder to find, poor quality or outrageously expensive. Unfortunately, I have turned to occasional heroin use as an alternative, going through cycles of use/withdrawal almost every few weeks. To combat the after effects I have been taking Vicodin (in the absence of having pot to smoke) for about two weeks steadily (max 8 5/500s, min 3 per day).

I need to break out of this cycle before I face more dire consequences. I'm already facing nausea, sweating, and other discomfort.

My questions are: Could lack of smoking be exacerbating my discomfort from the other drugs (i.e. should I find some pot, deal with the opiates, and work on the pot addiction later)?

I have heard of Trazodone prescribed for cocaine withdrawal. Is there any benefit in helping with opiates?

I'm really tired of drugs being the focus of my life, and would like to change while I still have some life left to enjoy, but after all these years, question my ability to do so. I am not at all religious, and don't like the idea of any of this 12 step ****.

It has helped a lot reading this board and seeing I'm not alone, but it hasn't got my foot out the door. Any advice would be appreciated. James
Don't know if you're male or female, but in rare cases, trazadone causes priapism which can only be relieved through surgery resulting in permanent impotence. Just thought I'd mention it ... check it out at www.rxlist.com

Thomas
I am aware of the precautions with Trazodone. I currently take 50mg at night to help sleep (and to try and help with depression, but it doesn't seem to).

Like so many others here, I try to rationalize my problem by searching for ways to mitigate my upcoming discomfort before I stop taking opiates. I sit and count the remaining pills to determine when I have to start weaning (a point which I have probably passed already).

Fortunately, my problem is one of months, not years, and fear of things like Tylenol toxicity has somewhat limited my intake. Unfortunately, I have a low tolerance for discomfort, and have augmented the Vicodin with Heroin use (it is amazing how little it takes to make stopping after even a short period of time a grueling experience, but apparently not grueling enough to not repeat the process several times [a week on, and about that long recovering]).

So now I'm searching for the easiest way out.

One of my biggest worries is my stomach. I haven't thrown up in about twenty years, and can't stand the nausea and cramps I seem to be already experiencing. I have read what I assume is your 'recipe', and may try that, but need to know the best method of keeping my gut intact. Are any of the OTC aids for upset stomach (or prescription) helpful in these situations? I can deal with the sweating, insomnia, and flu-like symptoms for a few days, but please help me keep what little food I am able to consume down.

Thanks all. Even with limited posting, this forum has already been a great souce of support. Misery loves company, James (male)
your answer, my friend, is blowin in the wind! Pot is the best anti-nausea drug on the planet. Get yourself some Chips A' Hoy, a gallon of milk, take a big ole gnarly bong hit and enjoy! Pot works beautifully with the recipe. It will help you rest, ease the muscle aches and won't interfere or potentiate any of the other recipe ingrediants. So get with it and start token!

Thomas
Trazadone is basically used in place of benzos for people detoxing.  It is also an anti depressant, so it helps in that way.  Many docs do not want to introduce another addicting drug into the fold.  I have seen here where it was suggested to someone to try klonopin and trazodone, which is absurd and rather dangerous.  It is one or the other.  Trazadone has sexual side effects for many......the biggest for men being not being able to ejaculate.  I have personally experienced this, so needless to say, the trazodone went down the toilet.  I don't feel comfortable with something having such a profound effect on me.
I still say a big gnarly bong hit is in order!
I do concur on that one.
THOMAS RECIPE
Please remember Thomas is not a Dr and one should always check with your DR before attempting a detox on your own.

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (immodium) (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper and Magnesium.

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium (immodium) aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

With breakfast, take the mineral supplement.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

My MIL continues to take Tyrosine and B-6 (clean 3 months), as it has also kept her depression to a minimum.
Hope this helps.
Take Care
I'm sorry I had to post here.  I'm new to this and I'm not really sure how to do this... I've been reading your posts and they have been very informative and have helped me to understand what my husband is going through a little better.  He is currently in rehab (I dropped him off today).  He has relapsed about 6-7 time in the last year.  He is not able to stay clean for more than 4 days (Percoset) and I am concerned that this round will have the same results.  I have been looking for The Thomas recipe and have not been able to find it. Can someone please post it again or let me know where I can find it.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it has actually been very comforting to me. I must sleep!  It has been a long week.

i know it is a good idea to get off the vikes asap
the longer your on them the more you do and the harder
it is to detox off them.
i have no experence with pot, i smoked everyday for 13 years
and stoped smoking it 20 years ago when i was 23 , i was a union painter and i would wind up painting the same wall like 5 or 6 times when i smoked. so i stoped.
the receipe helped me a lot when i got off the vikes
this time last year.
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hippy
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum!  I am in the same vote as you, my husband is also addicted to percs, but also codiene.  Anyways, just thought i would let you know that i am hear....if you want to talk.  My husband went into rehab as well, he has been out for over a month now.  The first day he went in i remember well, ahhhhh i can do whatever i want and not have to worry about him!  What a great feeling it was.  Anyways, keep us posted.  And if you have any questions please ask.
Catherine
Your funny. You made me laugh. I agree with you 100%.... I needed that today. So "Thanks"! I always enjoy your words of wisdom!!! :)
Luv-Erika
RECOVERY: I'm starting to think much of my discomfort (specifically nausea) is coming from more than reducing my hydro intake. I stopped at the pharmacy and picked up some Emitrol (OTC anti nausea). Is anyone familiar with it? Does it help at all? Trying to keep my fluid intake up, but can't eat a thing. Lost about 15lbs. in the last few days (maybe I could write a diet book).

POSTING: There seems to be a narrowing window when you can post a question here. Seems like around mid morning. Even though there is nothing for today, the limit seems to have been reached. Am I noticing a greater occurence of pop-up ads, too?

THOUGHT for the DAY: I feel like I've been given the keys to heaven and hell. I've worn out the first key and can't get a replacement until I use the second. Hopefully, when I get through hell this time, I'll have the smarts not to repeat the cycle again.

Does anyone know of any support groups that don't rely on a 12 step program? I'm one of those cynical agnostics that wouldn't be able to deal with NA. I'm in Eastern PA.

Hope all of you are hanging in there and can still see the light at the end of the tunnel.

James
Please post and let me know how you all are doing on your fiorinal addictions and tapering programs. Miss all of you and the support we all gave each other constantly. This is really hard not having to be able to post and knowing that someone will need help and not be able to reach out and get it, depresses me. I seem to be doing OK, but I have my moments since last week and have taken a few. But not like before by any means. Please post and keep in touch. Love, Kat
I am still here Kat. I can't believe how hard it has been to post to this forum.
I really miss reading the daily messages.  I do think we all need each other's support and I'm sure there are new people who are lurking out there too.

Let's keep trying to post as often as we can.

Take Care
Golden Slipper

have you heard anything new on our friend finished!!? i keep him in my prayers as well as the rest of my fellow addicts. i know you don't know me but i have kept up with your story for several months just reading before i got "fogless" enough to post. i hope your headaches are a thing of the past. i have had migrains for years. thats partly what started me on that downhill slide.
anyway, we would all like to hear how finished is doing.
you are such a sweet lady....god bless you for your selflessness.
strength and serenity
maddawg
What is Trazodone?

Has anyone here ever fully recovered from Opiate dependance?? (or know anyone who has?)

I don't think it's possible.  I think I screwed up for life.
did you happen to ask the pharmacist for an OTC anti-nausea drug? Promethazine (phenergan) is a good anti-nausea drug but it's Rx. The only OTC drugs I know of are for motion sickness. I'm not certain, but I don't believe WD nausea is related to "sea sickness." Too bad you can't get some pot. That would cure a multitude of "sins." For what it's worth, I've been a hydrocodone addict for 31 years. Needless to say, I've withdrawn from hydro hundreds of times, in many cases from 50 to 100 Vicodins per day. I never experienced the slightest nausea, even when I withdrew cold turkey in jail. Nausea is usually associated with the administration of narcotics, rather than the cessation. That is not to discount your experience. It's possible that an anti-anxiety drug such as Valium might calm your nerves and ease your nausea at the same time. Good luck.

Thomas
Hey freezing!!!
Trazadone is an antidepressant; in the class of MAO inhibitors.
In lower doses(ie. 50 mg), it has reasonable sedative qualities.  I've been on and off it over the last year; initially to calm me down after my mother passed away unexpectedly(and very good friend murdered); and more recently, after my percocet detox....August 19th last pill, as sleep was almost impossible for several weeks.
I've been very happy with it.(and I'll add with no sexual side effects)

So, depending what you mean by fully recovered, I'd say overall, my life has returned to what is was prior to my 3-4-5 year perc run.  For the last year, I was bouncing between 12-20/day(perc 5mg), and alternating dilaudid(hydromorphone 4 mg); plus oxycontin 10 mg. I used both recreationally and for two back surgeries.
And I can say, initially after I got clean, I thought I'd never feel great again, but as weeks turned to months, everything returned to normal....and I wasn't just living life by going through the motions.

So you can say you know someone who has stayed in recovery from opiates, and living life again.

I wish you well!!!!! and have to believe there is hope for you also.

Percs No More
Hi, I'm new to this board.  I read it quite often though.  I am an opiate addict, clean for a few months, but for the past 2 I have been taking everything I can get my hands on.  I feel like I am in it's clutches all over again, and don't know how to function without it.  This past week I have been taking lower doses though, trying to ween, about 3-4 Vicodins a day, give or take.  I feel VERY depressed when I don't have any painkillers in me, and I also have a history of major depression/cutting.  I am going to see a therapist soon, and hopefully get this thing in check.

But in the meantime, I just wanted to say *HI* to everyone, and I'm so greatful for this board and all of you and cannot wait to be a part of it.  : )
Happy Valentines Day everyone! I am 18 days clean now and feel great. I have no cravings just a little anxiety. I am so happy I swallowed my pride and went in patient. Love to all Badd
Ty for your kind words.  I just try to give back a portion of wut i get.  As for my headahces they are bettr now cuz i got a script for sumfin.  
Finnnihsed is now home an d doing great.  Of course he is in lots of pina but he is just glad to be alive!  He actaully stopped breathing twice!
Peace to you and e-mail me anytime if ya like at
***@****
Suzie
Freeze, this time around was 18 mos. I had 5 yrs clean time. Its easier to get off drugs than to stay off, granted its been 18 days but life is no picnic. Anxiety is still real bad, I know I will not use but life is not grand this time around. Its very hard. I am going to NA once per week. I guess its not enuff. I know one pill will send me back so I take it a minute at atime, I am no big NA junkie either, sparks do not fly when I go. I don't know all the answers. I guess you can say I am unhappily clean
Thanks for the feedback.  Glad you guys are going well, really.  Hopefully I will be too someday.
Baddgirl, what and how long was your habbit?  I'm coming off hydrocodone, heroin, methadone, oxycontin, & fentanyl (in that order).  I hope to taper with buprenorphine from the fentanyl.  Any other real material insights/experiences are appreciated. -freezing
I forgot to mention some people are able to take trazadone without any side effects at all.  But, many do have them.  It is an excellent alternative to benzos, but it does have strong side effects for many.  Fifty mg is a relatively small dose and that should be stressed.....that getting away with the smallest possible dose is preferred.
very nice to see you posting agian
after not seeing you for a few weeks.
thanx for being here.
your wisdom. sense of humor and experence
is invaluable.
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
your friend --------- hippy
Welcome to the board. Don't get down on yourself for relapsing. Recovery is not a once-in-a-lifetime religous conversion. Detoxing and living without opiates is, like most things, a learned skill. It doesn't help that you're dealing with what sounds like major depression. As most people know, opiates are the most effective anti-depressants on the planet. Too bad the cure leads to another type of illness. I'm glad you're seeing a therapist about your depression and cutting. Depression is something I know all too well. Opiates are the only thing that ever relieved my depression. I am one of those people who doesn't respond well to SSRI's such as Prozac or Zoloft. From my viewpoint, however, your cutting sounds infinately more alarming than your taste for narcotics. Hopefully, your therapist will be able to offer something to help you with that. Good luck. Keep posting!

Thomas
Hello everyone,  Just wanted to drop in and tell my story.  I am a recovering addict,  drugs of choice "painkillers"  I would take 7 or 8 80 ml oxycontin per day on top of 10 to 20 vicodin or any form of hydrocodone.  And when I didn't have any oxycontin I would take 40 to 50 vic's a day,  I am currently in an iop program "intensive outpatient program" at the start I had to detox because of the obvious withdrawl (withdrawal),  which deffinetly can hurt if not kill you if not done under a "doctors" supervision.  Listen there is no other way to get off this **** unless you "cold turkey" it in one way or another.  The detox I went thru was for 5 days and it made the withdrawls easier to deal with.  The dr. put me on catapres or (clonidine) which all it is a blood pressure med. that was discovered to ease the withdrawls.  In combination with dicyclomine for the abdominal crampings "helps" methocarbamol for the muscle cramping or "skin crawling" Motrin 800 for pain and immodium for the shits also  trazadone for sleep aid.  It sounds like a lot of meds and for all the addicts out there Remember the **** you were putting in your body in the first place and not worry about any consequences, Believe me this stuff is nothing compared to the Volume of Narcotics we were dumping in.  so remember that.  If you are serious about getting clean,  You need Help In some professional way or another tappering off is not the answer Because Remember The last pill you take will still bring Mr. Jones knocking Believe me I can testify to that.  You need "support" to do any of this Don't be affraid of N/A or A/A thats what there there for.  It's tuff but after the Physical part it's just mental and Believe me That's where you will **** it up if you don't reach out for that support.  This is my third time and so far so good.  Taking one day at a time and liking myself better each day.  Hope this Helps.
Does anyone know the best way to taper?  10% per day?  5%?  Any ideas?  Thanks........
I went through similar detox twice with similar meds.  Each time I couldn't hack it physically.  It was physical not mental, freezing with back "fingernail on chalkboard" sensations, never decreasing, depression, could not function at home or work.  I was coming off 90mg of Methadone.  

Please keep us posted on how you feel every few days or day.  Good luck and well wishes.  I hope your experience is better than mine.  I was also on Naltrexone.  I remain still, freezing.
Hey, I know it's tough man.  Methadone is very similar to oxycontin in the regard that it is designed to stay in your system for a much longer period of time,  When I detoxed the last time the doc. wasn't really sure if it would take 5, 7 or 10 days.  Believe me the detox was nothing compared to what I have gone through mentally for me it's a real ***** I hate the drugs but they are constantly on my mind and that it what eats me up.  I haven't been able to do this without support and believe me all the screwed up things I done to alot of people.  It's amazing that there are people willing to help.  But You really have to want to quit for yourself.  I still go through post withdrawls which Im told is brought on by stress.  skin crawls chills sweats etc.  it dosen't happen all the time but I try to deal with it when it happens,  my sleeping is still screwed up and I haven't had dope for awhile.  I really want to stay clean.  and it's the hardest thing I've ever delt with in my life.  The only drug I take now is motrin,  It's to the point I don't even like taking those.  I live in pain,  zero cartalidge left in my knees and awaiting knee replacement but I am not ready for that,  because of fear of the drugs.  once an addict always an addict.  hang in there things get better.
If anyone would like to e-mail me to talk my address is- ***@****
3 weeks ago i done a 5 day detox for detoxing of methadone with naltrexone. I have not had one craving! but the withdrawls were pretty bad but getting better. I was given trazadone it did help me sleep but i didn't like it as it made me feel worse, so my DR gave me mild sleepers which have worked better. All the stories on hthis board have made me feel alot better knowing i'm not the only one in the world going thru this, which i'm sure people will understand. THANKS!
Thanks.  Sorry about your knees.  Really.
Hi everyone, Just wanted to know if any of you have tryed naltrexione.(a blocker)I am currently on this for oxy & Herion Did know if you can have any kind of alchol?
answered my own question, yes you can drink but might not get the fast effects.But still want to know if anyone has tryed it ? and how it helped you
You want an easy way to detox from a short acting opiate (like vicodin, heroin, morphine, etc...).  Try going to a licensed dr who can prescribe either SUBOXONE or SUBUTEX.  This is the easiest and best way to withdrawal from an opiate.

The key to using it is you must be experiencing the beginning part of withdrawal.  You cannot take it before then or it really hurts your system.  I know from experience!  It sucks!  But if you take it at the correct time, it is a miracle drug!  You will feel NO OPIATE WITHDRAWAL and be given energy and be feeling mostly normal, although if you are an addict you will be disappointed at how boring normal is at first and may have to adjust.  You usually take about 5-7 days worth of this medicine (acitve ingredient: buprenorphine) and taper last two days.  Then you are normal.

It is expensive.  I have a supply always at the pharmacy for in case I get addicted again.  Otherwise I will just find ways to stay addicted because I hate withdrawal pains so badly, like EVERYONE.  I can't take them, the insomnia, the cold sweating, the chills, the nausea and then the huge increase in adrenaline....

You can get hooked on Suboxone/Subutex because it is an opiate itself.  It isn't a rough wd, I've done it from suboxone once, and it was like 2-4 weeks of misery but not rapid or severe like heroin.

ALSO: To the original poster: If you are taking opiates because you can't get pot/weed, then I suggest relocating to a state where medical marijuana is LEGAL.  It is legal where I live (CALIFORNIA) and I have a script.  I can have great weed any time I want, although I don't like pot myself so I never have any.  But they prescribe it for... OPIATE WD!!  And also: harm reduction!  And the pot is good, decent.  I have used it to come off of my suboxone and it made it a lot easier.  And I used it to come off of heroin once too, and it made it hella easier.  So don't take vicodin in place of weed, take weed in place of vicodin!  Your system will thank you!  Withdrawals are rough on your system, every time you do it just is like a total system shock. People who relapse over and over like myself are causing themselves a lot of brain trauma.

It takes the brain about 90 days to recover back to a semi-working state after WD.  It takes over a year to be 100% from drugs like methadone and oxycontin, which are both considered "long half life opioids" where heroin, hydrocodone, morphine are "short half life opioids." :-)
Stop taking so many vicodin per day!  Do you have any clue about the amount of tylenol (acetomentaphen) that is in those pills??  Do you know how toxic they are to the liver?  Your liver will be destroyed and you will die from a tylenol overdose before you die from any opiate overdose.

Percocets have a lot of tylenol too.

THE AVG ADULT should never take more than 4000-5000 mg of tylenol per day.  If I take 5000 mg of it within 24 hours I begin to throw up and get toxic poisoning from the tylenol.  Granted, most addicts that take 20 pills, each vicodin on avg having 500 mg acetometaphen (CHECK YOUR PILL BOTTLE), that's 10,000 mg of tylenol a DAY, double the toxic avg adult dose! - granted, as an addict you work your way up to a dose that high, so your liver may be compensating and all that, but keep in mind you are blasting it into death.

Combine it with alcohol and you will likely die.  Right there.  No kidding!

READ on acetometaphen poisoning... aka tylenol on the net.  Or ask your dr or pharmacist.  I was put in a ER hospital because I took too much tylenol once... taking tylenol PM to try to sleep through opiate WD pain.  I was throwing up all over the place, bile everywhere.  It was so terrible.  Pounding headache, toxic feeling, inability to move.... it hits you suddenly and you can't turn back.  You will have to go to an ER and they will have to stabalize your liver.
The APAP will kill you, STOP taking them by the handul, or your liver could ultimately "fail".
i am addicted to nubain its a drug used by bodybuilders however i am not a body builder my husband is. i had surgery in september and was in alot of pain and my husband started giving me nubain shots. Now i want to stop and i feel like i cant i am so scared,afraid and tired of feeling like this i have never used drugs or been addicted to anything now my kids are losing there mother to drugs. I feel like my life is not worth living anymore
why was the last message posted, dated 2007.  Where is everyone?
Hello. My name's Kacey. I just recently decided to stop taking roxy and oxycontin. I'm young, only 20. In high school I expiramented with all sorts of things but in the end, I only kept smoking cigs, drinking, and smoking pot...until recently. I moved back to Florida and I got this new job, telemarketing (haha), started meeting people...and shortly thereafter...I was offered a "roxy". I had no idea what it was, just a pain pill was all I knew. Not long afterwards, I started taking them regularly. I am at a point where I take between 1 and a half - 3 roxys (30mg) or take an oxy (80), and half of a roxy every day. The worst part is, I snort them. I've recently ruined, or &@#$ near came close to ruining, a lot of relationships with family and friends b/c of my drug addiction. I am getting methadone to help with the withdrawls, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to stop the restless leg/insomnia feeling. The muscle and back pain isn't fun to deal with either. I think I am going to try at least a few of these things in your recipe to help reduce the severity of the withdrawals. If you could let me know anything at all, it would be much appreciated.  You can email me : ***@**** , myspace me: myspace.com/kaceyfuckinweaver ,or call me 727-657-5919. You seem like a smart guy and I am willing to try to do anything to make things right with my family again, and to kick my roxy habbit. Thanks so much. -kcjones-
It would be a good idea to post a new question to bring attention to your post as this an old thread...first off...quit snorting them tho...there is a great tapering article in the health pages as well....keep posting
Appreciated your insights.  Trying again to get off oxycodone and alcohol, know to stay away from tylenol, think I can stop drinking, but the withdrawal is so horrible when I've tried in the past - take alot of oxycodone (no tylenol in it) - chew it/shouldn't - guess my question is, if I switch to just methadone, with some willpower can this plan possibly work?  If so, how many milagrams a day weaning down and for how many days?  And, is it ok to still take some xanax to help me sleep or temazepam instead?  In bad shape, losing everything, want my life back and will even attend meetings, walk, take hot showers - any advice would be most appreciated by you or happy to give advice or warnings or just chat with you all.  Best wishes.
I have read every single post on this page and they're all great.  It's really nice to know there's other people out there addicted to opiates, GOOD people, not your run of the mill street walking addict.  I started taking Vicodin about a year ago.  A emergicare dr gave me a bottle for a minor pain and that was all it took.  The first time I took it I realized how friendly and loving it made me.  I wasn't cranky and things that would usually send me off the deep end didn't bother me in the least.  After that first Rx started getting low I went to my normal doctor with complaints of joint pain and so forth.  He wouldnt give me what I wanted so I switched doctors.  The new doctor I saw wouldn't give me any either so I just kept going to the emergicare that gave me the first Rx.  After going to them for 3 more bottles they said no more.  Before I ran out of the last prescription I ended up having a minor surgery on my ear and to my surprise the ear dr that I had never seen before gave me 90 vicodin and 60 oxycodone.  A few days ago I ran out of both and now have no where to get any.  I had a few Talwin at my house left over from something a long time ago so when I ran out of my drug of choice I swallowed them.  Now however, I am out of everything with no way to get any...Guess that means it's time to quit.  I never took massive amounts of anything, my stomach couldn't handle it but I have been on them daily for about a year straight.  I never took more than three 7.5mg vicodin a day and never more than two 5mg oxy's a day..(never at the same time)  I guess my question is do I need to worry about withdrawl (withdrawal)?  This will be my first day in over a year with no pain pills in my system.  I'm terrified of what's coming.  

One last thought.  For a long time I thought this was my fault.  I figured "normal" people didn't get addicted to drugs that doctors give them.  They wouldnt prescribe them if people would get addicted, right?  NOT SO MUCH!!  While I still blame myself, I should have been stronger and stopped before it got to this but I also blame the doctors who would rather throw pain pills at you to get you out of their office than listen to you...And when people DO get addcited to the pills THEY prescribed, THEY don't want any part of it.  The drs I've dealt with will give you NOTHING for withdrawl (withdrawal) yet won't give you any pain pills either.  Somehow, someway, I think these ******* doctors should be held partially responsible.

Thanks for any advice you may give.
~ The weakling
I am an addict; but recently decided my family is much more important than these dang pills I've been taking. I've been using Oxy's 40's and 80's, Morphine of various mg's up to 120mg. I used for @ a year at a minimum of 160mg of Oxy's a day in combo with Morphine and the odd Perc or Tab. I once used 400mg of Morphine @ one time. (prob should've technically died) Anyway I have been clean now for 7 days COLD TURKEY!! I have had all the same withdrawls that every other user on here has had. It ha been the hardest thing I have ever done. Now it's the brain thing! (ya gotta have it cravin) I Have used nothing for discomfort except Tylenlol and my wife counts it every day, She takes my car keys to work with her and I sure ain't riding my Motorcylce in this cold A@@ weather to find a pill!!!!!
All I can say is SUPPORT/SUPPORT/SUPPORT! If ya ain't got it I can't see ya making it.
Now if I could just come off these dang PEPSI's I'd be allllllll Righttttt!!!

RAyBay
Hey, I'm new to the forum and I have been abusing opiates for several years. I started with oxycontins then progressed to herion. I have kicked chasing the dragon and am back on Oc's but trying to kick them as well. I have tried everything from cold turkey to self medicating with other "recipes" but my biggest problem is with muscle tremors and feeling like I have to constantly move my arms and legs. I don't know what to do about it, it keeps me from relaxing during the day and from falling asleep at night. Help Please!
you need to post your question as anew posting this posting here is very old. not many people will read your question to post it all you have to do is look at the top and you will see post a question. post this there and you should get more reply's
I have been using vicodin 5, 7.5, and 10 mg pills for a few years now for low back pain/problems.  I have also taken them just for the fun of it.  I have gone through the WD more then a few times.  Some of those times, feeling very emotional, crying about things I have done and said to my children while wanting more.  I must admit, I do enjoy taking them.  Let's face it, they are fun to take.  They make watching paint dry fun.  But the fun part seems to have faded.  I taken them to feel normal mostly.  I have found that I can taper down rather quickly now, almost in a couple days.  I get the aches, sweats, you name it.  But I have started taking kolopoin which has helped with the emotions, my biggest downfall.  But I have taken a different mind set towards it lately.  I am not blaming the drug compaines or docs for my problem.  But I tell myself while I am withdrawling, "you mother f**ckers are not going to get rich of my addiction and misery.  I can beat you and I will beat you.  My will and desire to quit is stronger then your desire to make money off me."  Soul search a little, there is NOTHING stronger then the human spirit, which we all have tucked away within us.  We are all human and we can be as strong as we need to be.  You have to dig down deep, put up your fists, and fight like a person on a mission.  NO MORE.  You will not beat me no matter how bad I feel.  You make me feel bad, I laugh at your attempt to keep me in your grip.  Your pills got nothing on me.  End of story.  Everyone can win this fight.
wow, i'm a chronic pain patient for 5 years now i'm on 150 mic of fentnyl and 24 oxcodones a day with 6 1mg lerazapams a day.

none of you should be on anything other then marijuana.  Unless you have a serious condition .. It's pricey to but hey benzo's are more dangerous to get addicted to because you don't go through immediate withdrawal.   it will hit you with a seizure a week or even 2 weeks after you stop and you can die..  so please guys..  you want to detox, thank god..  but go to a docter, he will set it up for you.. do not try it on your own .. do NOT try it on your own.... DO NOT TRY TO DETOX ON YOUR OWN.

it's not illegal.

it's private.

no one has to know about it..

go get connected with a professional doc he will point you to a detox center and monitor whats going ..

you may need rehab after words..  don't be a afraid or embarrassed it's all ok...  if you relaps just do it again..  it will work at some point..

take yourself out of the loop with the people doing anything other then pot..  

just stay away from them..  they have more power over you especially once your addicted..  it's out of your control once you become addicted and your chillin with a dude slangin dope or(slinging)  slangin sounds better.

get away don't answer the phone lock your door and pretend you are not home get those people out of your life..  drugs are the socialite steroid..  Any interaction with another person can seem better on any drug..   SO don't go there .. if you are there go to rehab and erase the phone numbers and move to a different location.. start over ... or you don't have a chance.

PS: rehab and detox is nothing at all like celeb rehab on VH1

in fact that show puts people lives in danger and people have died at that very recovery center with Dr. Drew as the head Doc..  so it's nothing like that.

any questions cus i have a lifetime of info and more to say
steveies

No one but yourself is to blame.. Doctors are not all evil.. i don't know your Doc, so i may be sadly mistaken.. but pain doctors are not evil..  usually someone getting meds from a pain doc will Hate there pain doc because when you take to many you want them to give you more.. WRONG that's the definition of abuse..( BUT,  if the doctor didn't get you comfortable and you always ran out early from the beginning and he didn't change the regiment, THATs a bad pain doctor)  if you must be on pain meds you must find the comfort zone which will take a month at least.  Then Lock in the amount and when you take it and never stray from it...  If you try hard enough they will help you on the odd occasion that you make a mistake. i learned the hard way and i said everything you said until i realized no.. its me i'm in control and i have to take the meds as prescribed or i shouldn't be taking them at all..
You started taking heroin, to cope with kicking pot?? Are you kidding me?

Pots like the lightest drug, and heroin is the most life destroying addictive drug.
I'm addicted to benzos AND pain pills. For chronic pain and insomnia. But it's gotten out of hand. My doc is tapering me off the benzos first. Nightmare drugs. So my question is, how can u use the Thomas recipe but avoid the benzos? Once I'm off those hellacious drugs I'd prefer never to be on them ever again!
i'm new to this i hopr your still around to answer my question i'm an heroin addict i've been snorting about 7 or 8 small bags a day for about a yr now i'm ready to quit 'i'm going to quit i have 6 399mg ativan capsules and 4 or5 triazidone will they help get me thru the first few days i also have 3 8mg suboxone and a little pot  will this help is it ok to take the ativan and triazidone together then take the suboxone last