Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Weight Gain After...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Weight Gain After...

Is it normal to gain weight during WD's? I’m on day 9 and you would think it would have been the opposite with all the time I spent in the bathroom, yet I have gained over 8 pounds in a week!..My cloths are tight and I hate it!
Yes, I too gained a lot of weight during my month long W/D's.   The only thing I can attribute it to is finding pleasure in other senses -- like eating.   I suppose it is a small price to pay for getting clean and I would do it again.  I did not know, however, that it happened to others so I am glad you posted.  All the best.
I lost 35 pounds in 30 days.
well I am 'holding water' to the point that I can't take my rings off..now I am  in the process of tapering  and drinking heaps of water and don't have w/d symptoms (weird dreams maybe) but I'm amazed at the water I am holding no matter how much i pee.
Haven't weighed myself--but I imagine it shows there also
WOW! I have hardly eaten anything in the past week...mainly because my taste buds were shot. I had a bad cold at the same time. My stomach feel like I'm going to burst...
It's normal for some people.  I took Roxi's and was so underweight from them I didn't get normal periods.  By the time the WD were all saod and done I had gained 10-12 in a single month.  I couldn't stop eating!  I think it has to do with missing and minerals.  Couldn't get enough milk...
Other people can't eat anything and spend most of their time in the bathroom.
Best of luck to you....
yes weight is good at this time.  the pills rob our bodies of vitamins and nutrients.  i ve put on 12lbs since w/ding in july....i have a new addiction called food.  it is okay..keep on eatin!  
lots of luck..maria  
I put on 20 lbs in 1 month...what in the world?
Day 9 clean and same here, about a pound a day, *****!
yes weight gain is typical, when i quit i gained 15 pounds in two weeks i went from 170 to 187 pounds but it was good weight gain. food was my new addiction.
Me too. i think it has to do with the anxiety our bodies and minds are going through. Maybe it's a way of dealing  with it: eating. At least i do  know that i eat a lot more  now and  i have like cravings for sugar &  carbohydr...But i'm not happy with gaining more weight  ! ( no, thanks)  so   i'm now "quitting" these kind of food too ( :-) )

I'm trying to eat   less of this  and more of the green things ( slow carbos), protein shakes, new salad recipes ... ( btw,  it's keeping me  busy  the last days  with a new thing that it's good to me: cooking more healthly ).
I put on weight as well during w/d's.  I think it's because when I was taking pills I never ate, so the pills would have the maximum effect.  I would go days without eating.  When I stopped taking pills, and I needed something to do, I would eat.
so, shall we make our new fat&&&clean t'shirts ??
went from 333lbs in January this year to 263 this morning
BigMike, that's awesome, it's so hard to loose weight, it's just making you that much healthier.
And Laurel, I love the t shirt idea!
I was the opposite and lost 25 lbs. in the last two months.. I'm sure its common to gain weight too, were you eating when you were on the pills? I know some people eat less when they're on them, so now maybe you're just going back to normal.
and a note to that post: i'm eating more now? WTF? its weird how our bodies work.. I guess everyone is different!
When i went through W/D's i lost like 15 pounds. Gained it all back when i started taking them again. I gain weight because hydro's make me kind of lazy, but when i quit, i am very active!!!
I've detoxed several times.  Except for the last time, I couldn't eat and was so sick that I lost weight.

I was smarted this last time on how to detox & all the vitamins.....and I was a bottomless pit & gained about 10 lbs.  It took a while before I took it off.  That was hard because I gained it so rapidly.
overeating food, taking soooo much medication and pain don't always leave us with room in our heads for change, it's freakin tough.

but a good shrink, and finally family support works wonders, not just that i wanna get back to dating and finding a partner that I can continue getting better with

gggrrrrr  hahaha
It sounds like you have a great plan, just keep on keepin' on!
hahah

that means you don't want the thinner&clean&dating&dating  t's ?

we have the vico-manda-bear's team : thin&clean ( it sounds also nice )..haha
It took 10 years to get here but thanks it means alot , even my dad who is a heman just like the rest of the family gave me a "  atta boy " as did the whole family  which of course he never ever has done, which in turn makes work at controlling my pain my meds and my life better after many years of abusing them

aw shucks i'm blushing tee hee
yeah, be proud , bigmike.
it looks as if all this weight loss and change of attitue is working I have to lovely ladies already talking to me

hahahahaha   cougers ggggrrrr

honestly thank you its been a long road, it's like traveling from the east coast to the west coast and constaly getting a break down in nowheresville indiana

thanks again you all have made my day
where do we get those t/shirts printed.
CLEAN BUT NOT LEAN  lol
I was surprised as well when i got on the scale after detox...i didnt eat much at all but i didnt move as much as usual either....like u i thought i had lost 10 lbs due to the runs...nope!...and i have put on ten more since i quit...dont know but some lose alot of weight instead...guess we just work on the weight after we quit..perhaps like smoking...u take it away and weight comes on cos metabolism slows down...but u r clean and that is so much more important
I'm the opposite, I can't eat...I have to force myself to eat...I guess I've always been different...fist time I ate was like on day 4-5 and if felt like a brick was in my stomache...now I've managed to eat one meal a day and not a very big one...lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of muscles due to work...but I guess it could be worst, I could still be addicted so I'll take the not eating for now anyways
I have heard totally different stories, but personally, I went from 103lbs. to 114lbs. in 1 month!!!!!!!!!!! I am still trying to lose it!
i gained 10 lbs i one  month wd-ing....
the pills dehydrate us so it is similiar to dehydration (water weight loss)   think:  a raisin getting rehydrated in water... we swell and put on weight..it will all balance out... takes a while....think of how long u were robbing your body of water nutrient and calories...
glad to hear that others have gained weight during withdrawal.  I don't dare get on the scale, but my pants do not zip and I'm very puffy and uncomfortable.
i was thinking it was just me with the weight gain
you basically "break" your metabolism and your kidneys liver etc... are working o.t. to dispell and process a diet of food rather than drugs....it takes time... you will reap the rewards with patience....ALOT OF THIS IS TEMPORARY WEIGHT/WATER WEIGHT...
stay active and make healthy food choices...(
ie;; vegetables fruit protein healthy carbs...stay away from junk!!)  take uva ursi as this is an herbal dieuretic and will help flush excess fluids trapped by a sluggish metabolism..
..I'm feeling like a FAT toad..but then... I'd rather FEEL like a FAT TOAD then a DRUG ADDICT..."rib-bit  croak... rib-it"

That sounds just like me except I didn't eat for days because I wasn't hungry, now I am hungry like a normal person and put on 20 lbs in 6 months :( I have a lot of pressure to get it all back off and now that is stressing me out and making me feel like it would be so much easier to just go back to my old ways ~ which just makes me even more disappointed in myself. . . I'm impressed with those of you that can do it naturally cuz i am fighting the temptation big time right now.