ADDICTION: SUBSTANCE ABUSE
COMMUNITY
What is the worst day of alcohol withdrawal after stopping cold turkey?
by enderW, Jul 30, 2009
I stopped drinking 3 days ago. I drank pretty much every night for 5 years. I decided to stop cold turkey after a particularly bad night.

I feel like ****, the only thing I've been able to "eat" is protein powder mixed with water, my hands are trembling, I have hot and cold flashes, severe anxiety, fast heart rate, pretty nasty insomnia and a slight fever.

I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and when the affects start to decline. I'm willing to do pretty much anything except start drinking again, and have a doctors appointment in 4 days, which will be one week from when I took my last drink. That's the earliest I could get in and can't afford the ER.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Member Comments (7)
by GA Guy, Jul 30, 2009
Is there any way you can get into an urgent care doctor tomorrow? Depending on your consumption, you're at a very high risk of certain heart problems as well as seizures from the withdrawal. Opiate withdrawal isn't life threatening, but alcohol and benzo withdrawal is. Please, try and get to a doctor ASAP. There's meds they can put you on short term to make the withdrawal less dangerous.
by Kevin_Bacon, Jul 31, 2009
Although Ga Guy is quite right about benzo w/d's, you really need a short-term (Valium) tapering run on this drug or Klonopin. It's standard OP, especially for the first 72hrs -- most folks are out of seizure territory at this point.

The reason I'm advocating (short-term and as prescribed) Valium is that it will take the edge off the whole mess, including w/d's and straighten out your sleep a bit for now. Usually, sleep issues can last quite a while, but you can get something else, e.g., Imovane or Ambien short-term and then melatonin and any herbal stuff that works.

You should really get to your dr. or a clinic Friday -- I know about the agony you're going through.

Good luck.
by candothis247, Jul 31, 2009
i dont know much about alcohol withdrawal, but it really does sound like you should go to urgent care sooner than later. good luck
by Calamity2, Jul 31, 2009
Hey I want first to congradulate you on your decision. I drank for  many many years. I got sober many times also.  I think my most comfortable alcohol withdrawal was when I went to detox for 3-4 days then directly into rehab for at least 30 days. That approach is about as successful as the urgent care or doc with a SMALL script for the first 3-4 days of whatever they give now maybe valium.  But if you already have several days I would head to the first A.A meeting you can get to. then 2-3 A.A meetings a day. Have you ever been to a meeting?
by dominosarahBlank, Jul 31, 2009
Please get into the doctor and tell him what is going on.  WD'ing from alcohol can be very dangerous.        sara
by msr17433, Apr 08, 2013
I just got out of detox after three days. Did fine, now I am experinceing internal shakes, vision problems, dizziness,  and palpitations.   Looking g for advice.
by knaankj, Apr 08, 2013
hello....because this was an older question.....from what i understand how this forum works..it may be advantageous for you to start a new thread of your own to ask your question as i will get more attention that way and thus more answers to help you.
just go to "post a question" and ask again. that way more folks will see you and be able to help you! i hope you feel better soon!
Paige