Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
c/t or weening

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

c/t or weening

this is a post that i find very interesting.this is actually worried878's post about 4 days ago.personally i would prefer to taper but i haven't been able to do this in 8 years, so that leaves the other option.c/t.when i heard about flushing them, i said to myself no way,how could somebody do this.the more i think about it,she's got a point,especially with the psycological point of view.how do some of you feel about this.i'm curious
I was a uniquely qualified disaster every time I tried to taper........finally had to go cold turkey to really get it done.....but I did finally get it done.
were you in a detox facility or at home
I was at home ..... and my habit was large and longstanding.........may not have made it this time without using this forum extensively - - - the tips and suggestions from experienced people really helped a lot. The amino's and the Thomas Recipe arent silver bullets, but even the placebo effect works frequently. If you feel like you are doing something about the situation - the situation will change.....................
If you can flush whatever stash is left you will feel very empowered - its a feeling of victory that you were really strong enough to do it yourself.  And I felt the same way you do - How could anyone just flush the pills?  Found out you could flush the pills when you realized that they were killing you.....good luck Steveo!!  We are on your side - -
thanks for your info.does that thomas recipe really work, i mean i hear alot about this on the forum so i'm sure it helps.when i got out of rehab 1 year ago,i started on some gnc products,by the way i was coming off methadone at that time.i was on ,a mega men multivitamin,flax seed oil,a super B complex and vitamin c.i left rehab after 10 days i couldn't stay still in group,probably because of the xanax and alcohol i;ve also been addicted to even longer than the opiates.they had me off of all meds after 5 days.the xanax was probably the worst,i think thats a pretty fast taper when it comes to benzos.now i have to make a choice.i cant even get below 7 tabs a dayand so much more to go through yet.i'll be honest,i've never in my life been this scared
I have done both...I honestly think it is close to the same amount of pain just a matter of whether it is spread out or all at once.  Tapering takes a stronger mind set in that it is easy to get off the schedule...however, there is something to be said for knowing you have some relief in a hour or whatever time frame you have.  I have managed to work through both, but tapering is much easier to get through the w/d days if you cannot stay at home.  When I tapered I thought that was definitely the way to go, but sometimes it just didn't work...plus other times I think I just wanted to punish myself for getting back into it, so c/t was the choice.  I am at 5 weeks today and, I know others will not agree, but I have not flushed the last 13 1/2 I had left yet...but I have my reasons.  I wanted to wait until I felt good to flush them, not when I was in pain...I feel anyway I look at this whole mess, I have to be strong mentally to be permanently done and easy access is not an excuse. Early in the w/d process I had planned on flushing at one month and then decided on Jan 31 which will be one and 1/2 months.  
With regard ot flushing. It is the only way i could have succeded, there is no way i would have kade it through day 4 or 5 if I had not flushed my remaining stash......I wish I could find the post I read that inspired me to do it.....What a feeling that was holding that botlle of 48 pills in it and making the ultimate commitment.  

I have to think if you really, really wnat your life back..you have to either through inpatient detox or a plan of your own remove the availability of the drugs.
I did a slooooooooooooooooooow wean.  I'm did six months of weaning, going down 1/2 to 1 pill per month.  Today is day two of no pills.  I don't have very severe withdrawals, just general aches, hot/cold sweats and a little anxiety.  I cure the aches with hot baths with epsom salts and heating pads and with the aniexty, I am taking Xanax.  Unfortunately, I have to live with the hot/cold sweats.

I'm following the Thomas recipe, and so far so good.  I have two, 30 mg oxycontins and I haven't had the urge to take them.  Believe me, I've thought about it, but I've pushed those thoughts aside.

Good luck on whatever you decide, and if you need help or have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask!
For me, I tried the taper.  Problem was.......I knew I always had pills 'if the going got rough'.  I also tried CT (this last time-3rd relapse) and left myself a 'back door' by having a stash, or knowing who I could call to get more.  I failed CT miserably because I left myself a way out.  Making a decision to finally quit is tough, but once you are finally there and ready......you can't look back.......you can't give yourself that back door........there's no giving yourself a way out.  The decision is an all or nothing deal.  For most addicts, if we have a way out of a situation that scares us......we will take the detour.  It's what we know, it's what we've done for so long by using pills/alcohol to escape life.

Once you finally decide you are ready to quit, Give it your all.....this is life or death we're talking about.
if you had to do it over again would you do i the same way.     by curious
I tried the taper.  I even had my husband leave me out enough for the day and hide the bottle.  I would tear the house apart and find it.  I felt so bad physically with tapering, and I imagined doing THAT for weeks on end, and that scared me.  I am on day two of cold turkey, and flushed my stash.  If I had the bottle, I took them.  Simple as that.  I always said 'ill try tomorrow.'  Tomorrow never came until the toilet took them.