Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
how long does valium withdrawal last?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

how long does valium withdrawal last?

I've been using valium for at least ten years on a daily basis. Two months ago I reduced dosage from 10mg a day to 5, and three of weeks ago went down to 2.5mg. Two weeks ago, stopped taking it altogether.

Now, I've got a strange metallic taste in my mouth, fast heartbeat and the world seems to be kind of swimmy, if that makes any sense. A couple of nights ago I was having full on visual and auditory hallucinations.

It is my intention to walk away from this drug, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way. I have no insurance and no Doctor. I understand this may take a while and am willing to suffer through, but am curious if anyone out there might know the real taper off formula? I am 50 years old and in good shape, 5'8, 160 lbs.

Thanks in advance
Swiv
wow..you tapered rather fast...I have taken plenty of valium but I primarily have always taken xanax..It is very dangerous to go cold turkey off benzos..such as valium...and 2.5 mg would be considered alot to a dr..even though you tapered from 10 mg..I don't like the sound of these problems your having and would hesitate to do anything but send you to the e.r if it continues..Do you have any valium left? I would have kept tapering (a little slower) all the way down to 1/4mg..Are you still having these problems..this is definitly nothing to take lightly...
Thanks, I have heard the horror stories but believe I can pull this off. I am hesitant to just arbitrarily start taking some amount and get started all over again. Are you a Physician by any chance? Do you know of any kind of taper off chart or something like it?

Feeling somewhat better, taste lingers and kinda jumpy, but drinking lots of water and taking vitamins. Been sleeping okay, just feel bouncy and very aware of sights & sounds. Not so bad really, and I do feel good about making this choice.

Not taking this lightly, but thinking positively. Thanks again~
Swivelhed, please be aware of the seizure risk as well. It's high.
well it sounds like you are aware and paying attention to your body..I wish I was a dr..but i am not...The only taper I know of is the one I did with xanax..but I would imagine that you would have already had serious complications by now...I say keep doing what your doing..it sounds like you really want it..but please...if what you described above happens again..I would have it checked out..I don't balme you for not wanting to just take it again..you sound like you are going to be just fine..good for you...please let us know how your doing...
Today the world is much more stable and the metallic taste in my mouth is much reduced. Think I'm over the Big Hump~~

There is a link in the left hand column that takes you to a suggested taper method, very nice and informative.

Looks like I'll be able to accomplish this, so exciting to say goodbye to this little monkey!

Thanks so much for the advice & support, please tag me back if I can help in return.

Happy trails all
valium is not anywhere near as dangerous to xanax, soma, klonopin. Even though the taper was rather fast the dizzy swim feeling is expected regardless of how long you taper. It would have came regardless even under dr. Its your blood pressure, heart beat you want to watch and make sure it subsides. 10mg of valium is equal to about only 1mg xanax and i have dropped from 1mg xanax to nothing without taper and had no real issues other than anxiety and rapid heartbeat on off. I think your over the hump.
note...valium at your dose isnt much to be worried about. Valium at 40-100mg on the other hand is potentially life threatening as stated in this thread by others. It can cause seizures and death much like alchol or other benzos. Amazing you kept a 10mg dose all these years. You have alot of strength. Valium dependcy and tolerence goes up very fast. Its also a skeltal relaxant which makes it differ from others.
Encouraging to hear, thank you~everything seems to have mellowed out today. Not racing and the world isn't wallowing around anymore. Glad to hear my dosage wasn't all that much and that the hump is passed, whew, what a ride.

Yes, I was run over by a drunk driver and broke more bones than Evel Knievel in one split second, leading to this situation. I am a little concerned about the skeleton starting to complain, but am so tired of the side effects of valium the trade off will be worth it!

Interestingly enough, lots of good things have been happening at the same time. Thanks again for lending an ear & advice, blessings all around!
Hallo, I'm back to report and ask another question.

Had a few rough days but feel better daily, still not at all interested in using again, and folks say I look like a different person.

Only my wife and you guys know what's going on, thank you for the support, she and I have never experienced anything like this before...

Ever since about a week into this process, I've had a strange metallic taste in my mouth, like my teeth and tongue are secreting something. Nothing is visible, but anything with vinegar in it is repulsive.

Is this something I should be concerned about, and is there anything I can do to fight back?

Thanks everyone, hope you're all having a great day
heay there your doing really well keep it up and rember evry day your body will heal its self. Am coming of well i cant say for sure really as i have been taken mostly street valium but i reacon about 40 50 mg a day its been rather intense but i feel a bit beeter evry day am having bad dreams and realy jumpy and nearvious but evry day i plaster on a fake smile and get on with it.anaway you keep on doing what your doing and you will be free again.big respect to you take care.
Hi. I feel I have something to add here. I came to valium in a very weird, painful way. Let me begin. I was never a drug user... I was always a sports guy. Just a weekend drinker like so many people. I feared drugs very much thus I stayed away from them. Years go by and well, I am not feeling happy, my mother's death I was still not dealing with well, my father was going through major heart surgery, broke off with a woman I liked and I walked out on a job. Then, unfortunately, I was introduced to vicodin like many people... through a bad tooth or something similar. I liked it. I would pop them when I could but was a casual user, not enough to "hook" me. Well, I was then introduced to someone who had oxycodone/oxycontin. BOOM. I was addicted probably by the 3rd day I took it... and it was not that much. The minimum is 5mg and I maxed out at 15 mg. But I went on to take this for 15 months at least for 5 days a week. I loved it. It took me out of my little sad world and made me feel great. Hell, I would go out and just pop a couple of oxycodone and not even drink. I would order water or soda since the alcohol mix did not give me the same high. Bartenders would often scratch their heads when they saw me. Then, reality started to settle in. My "highs" were not as long-lasting and I would get very tired when coming down from them. Just plop in bed. But the one thing I refused to do was up the amount I was taking. Then one day, May 6, 2007, I said I don't want to do this anymore. I decided to throw out a bag of about 30 oxycodone pills. Sounds great, right? Me, having NO CLUE about such things as withdrawal, was ready to have the hammer drop on me. It happened slowly. I felt weird with friends, my legs would slowly shake, I had to cut-short meetings. Slowly it was getting worse until I went into full scale convulsions on the floor virtually everyday for several weeks and would shake so much I would shake myself to sleep for literally 15 hours a day... only to wake-up to the same nightmare again and again. I would think of throwing myself out the window... a long drop. This was a continual focus. I would throw myself into bed to control such thoughts. I finally had to do what I did not want to do.... go to a hospital. I was scared to death. They were not sure what to do with me. I was off the oxycodone now for about 2 months but had bad shakes and depression. They just gave me zoloft while I was with other people taking all kinds of drugs. I stayed for 1 week. But I had one major complaint... my shakes would NOT go away. I woke up at 3 in the morning at the hospital shaking like a leaf and demanded something be done. There, i was given ativan... a small dose. It calmed me down pretty quick but got jumpy again. My doctor upped the amount to 2 mg twice daily. He then let me out of the hospital saying I should not be there since there were people with "much deeper" problems. OK? But what about the shakes? He gave me enough ativan for a week. Then I had to get them off a doctor. Guess what? Ativan, as said by my doctor, is highly addictive. Thus, I went from one addiction to another( ativan) but really had no choice. I felt better at home but still not great and of course was addicted to ativan for about 8 months. It was then I decided to do my own research and came across the Ashton Manual which many know IS THE ULTIMATE source for getting off benzos. Basically, the switch had to be made over to valium so I could slowly get off. You can download it free. I was on about 30 mg of valium and SLOWLY came off... I repeat, SLOWLY. I am down to 10 mg of valium now and, according to the plan, every cut will be only 1mg, about every 2-4 weeks until finished. Read the Ashton Manual. Just do a search on it. Believe me, a lot of bed-rest is required. I am still tired often and when tears come to you, well, let them come. I am also on an anti-depressant( zoloft) 50 mg. This is due to the fact that valium or any benzo. will hype up or cause depression if taken alone for most people. I am working... but only PT for now. But it is fine right now. Basically, anyone going through benzo. hell has been hit by an atom bomb and is trying to recover. You will and do... but a very little at a time... and there will be "bad days." Sleep as much as you can. Drink water a lot. Work out a bit. Take walks, take the sun. Don't push too hard too fast. And read positive material as you get better. Shut the damn news off which is all negative thinking. A suggested first book to get, "The Power of Positive Thinking" a combo of religious and positive thought. Look at more subjects with similar titles. Get the negative **** away. I am not done with my withdrawal yet and I expect about another 5-6 months at least. Go slow, it does get better. Say your prayers and NEVER do drugs in your life. Get away from all painkillers FOREVER. Get away from ativan, valium, xanax and all those drugs. THEY ARE HELL ON EARTH. God Bless You. And get your loved ones involved. You will need them. Don't hide it.
I gave up 5mg daily valium and 55mg daily methadone six weeks ago. For the first three weeks the withdrawl (withdrawal) from the methadone was prevelant. I had hallucinations, cramps, anxiety, palputations etc... After two weeks I went onto a short dose of subutex (4mg) to ease the physical pain and I plan to cut the dose down by 1mg every six weeks.

I have used valium for the last four years (legaly for two) and have gone from 30mg to 5mg (my last drop was from 10mg to 5mg in Feburary).

Although I pretty much went cold turkey on the methadone, it was a lot easier to give up than valium. I am now still feeling withdrawal from valium. I sometimes crave it. I constantly feel anxious, I cannot sleep unless I use zopiclone (although I don't use this every night as I would rather excercise to make myself tired and I don't want an habit), I am very quick to jump to un-logical conclusions about paranoias I have and I am also very restless (although this could be down to the lack of dopamine from giving up methadone). I am also still in a bit of physical pain (especially my back and stomach).

I know you may be thinking that what I have written doesn't help due to my giving up of two majorly addictive drugs at the same time but what I found when I made the decision to stop was that I had got to the root of why I was taking the drugs in the first place.

Two close friends got me to see the extent of my addictive personality and helped me focus on how that was stopping me properly enjoying my life. I know, escpecially with valium, that addiction can sway you towards defending the drug you are taking. I feel that to break away from addiction you need a lot more than other drugs to withdraw.

I am a very stubborn person and I have always thought the idea of seeing a psychiatrist/therapist/counsellor was not a good idea. In the past I have been convinced that I have a strong enough mind to be able to get by without support. Luckily, I have a good set of friends who have supported me through breaking my addiction but I wasn't always able to see that they were there for me. Valium and methadone put you in a 'bubble' where you end up distancing yourself from the people close to you. They make you feel as though you are getting along perfectly but in fact you are just content to be isolated (be that physically or mentally). When I gave up the two drugs I was amazed at how much I was in a kind of fog. I could hear better, see better and I realised how much I had been pushing the people away who cared about me (before I gave up I thought most of these people were against me).

If you are addicted and feel that you can talk to a stranger for support then get professional help with your problem. Not all councellors etc.. are working out of a text book. If you have problems with money then there are a lot of free organisations that offer support whilst you make the change and there are many people who work for the organisations that have fought addiction themselves.

Either way, the withdrawal I am going through at the moment is worth it. I wouldn't reccomend just stopping like I did due to the intense mania I got initially. I was fortunate to be in a position where work, money and being looked after wasn't a problem (my housemate is an angel for helping through it). I had been reducing methadone for six months and valium for two years and it took all that time for me to be in a position to be confident that I could handle the depression that came with stopping. Just stopping brings all the bad things that you have being trying to not remember up. This is why I think it should be done with support rather than just drugs. All my issues are still not resolved but I plan to see a psychiartrist just to have someone to vent my stresses to rather than laying it on my friends and feeling like I am being a burden (feeling as though you are a burden can lead you back into addiction a lot more than you may think).

My main tips for what to do whilst stopping are to keep active (eg. walking, excercise), take regular baths (to stop muscle ache), if you know you are about to stop or take a large reduction then prepare youself by not taking on any extra work, try to save so that you can support yourself whilst you are not feeling well (although this isn't often something realistic it is worth a try if you are in a position to), ask your doctor/drugs worker for additional support (or seek free advice) and the most important thing is to take care of yourself. Eat properly, don't over-work/over-play and if you find that the stress is too much and you have to go back onto the drug then don't beat yourself up about it. Take note of the things that got in the way of you stopping, discuss this with a friend/counsellor and work towards resolving the issue. It took me an uncountable amount of atempts to give up valium and opiates.
A Cherokee grandfather teaching Tribal ways and philosophies on life to his grandson, spoke:

"A fight is going on inside me. It is a terrible fight between two wolves.

One wolf is evil. He is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.

The other wolf is good. He is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

Looking straight into his grandson's eyes, the old man continues:

"This same fight is going on inside you and I and every person in the world."

His grandson, thinking about this phenomenon for a moment, asks his wise old grandfather:

"Which one will win"?

The Cherokee grandfather replies replies:

"The one you feed"!

I thought this was a good story to share. Don't feed the negative wolf inside of you, feed only the good wolf!

If you take valium and feed in good WHILE taking it, you will win the battle inside of you.

If you take valium and feed the bad WHILE taking it, you will loose the battle.

I've had back problems for about 5 years. I followed the doctor's suggestions of physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments (2 and 1/2 years), cortizone shots, and then finally percocet.  I became addicted to 40mg of perc a day, then an ambien to sleep @ night.  This lasted over a year and and half.  In Nov. 2009, I wanted to reduce the perc (since it wasn't helping anymore and I was afraid to take more), the doctor gave me valium 10mg which I took on occasion and to help me get of the perc. By Dec. 2009, I needed surgery for my back and had it in Jan. 2010.  The surgeon wanted me completedly off the perc, which I did, in only a week.  The withdrawals were terrible.  All I could do is lie on the floor and cry.  When I woke up from my surgery, I found myself on Morphine.  Three days later, I was transferred to a rehab center, which put me back on percocet (but in a different form so I didn't know) and a lower dosage of the valium (which they told me was a muscle relaxer).  Four weeks later, I began to decrease the percocet and was completely off in 2 weeks!  I thought my problems were over.  Exactly one week later, my stomach began to cramp which brought me to the emergency room twice.  They put me on Dilaudid (a sister drug to percocet)-I felt wonderful!  Three days later, after finding out that I was on another narcotic I stopped completely.  That was 3 weeks ago.  My symptons were stomach cramping, night sweats, inability to eat ANYTHING without stomach cramping, insomnia, crying, depression, feeling of hopelessness (which a KNEW was not true, but felt it all the same), shakes, feeling I would never get better.  Five days later, I realized I was addicted to the valium as well and stopped cold turkey.  Exactly one week after the valium was stopped, I began with uncontrollable shaking, feeling my nerves were COMPLETELY on edge.  I couldn't stop moving because the tremors and nerves were so bad.  The only relief was an sleeping pill (ambien).  The doctor told me I was over the percocet, but was now going through valium withdrawals.  He gave me a "non-addictive" sleeping "aid" now.  I have had nerve pain all week, in my legs, arms & back.  Sometimes, I've had to use ice to help with the pain.  All the while, I am still shaking.  Morning are worse, but today was the first day I was able to be showered and dressed to go to church.  Being with my fellow Christians has made a world of difference for me.  They are praying for me.  I have been very open to everyone about this addiction, and know, through the power of the Lord Jesus Christ, I will be over soon.  God did not take away my pain, but has been with me all the way, reminding me that what I've gone through was nothing compared to what He suffered on the cross, when He paid for me sin.  I am still feeling the effects of the drugs on my system, but know there is hope in Jesus Christ.  He overcame the grave...this is nothing for Him.  While I have read all the postings I have cried knowing exactly what each one of you have suffered because I am going through it myself.  In the same manner, Jesus Christ can also sympathize because He became a man and suffered and died satisfying God.  How do I know?  Because He was raised on the third day and was seen by over 500 witnesses.  (that would stand up in any court of law)  I've given Him my life, and I will serve Him.  He is my Lord and Savior; and I have peace with Him...even through this storm.  You can too!
Speaking from my own experience getting off valium,  I would now stay off of it if you had your dose down to 2 and a half mgs.    Or use a pill slicer and take half of that 1 and a quarter mgs for the next week then stay off.     I felt edgy and jittery for some days but gradually you'll see the number of good days outnumber bad ones.    Now after several weeks I feel much better and really don't feel any effects.
Where to start...........well back in 1967, I had a duodenal ulcer. A G.P precribed 3 X 5 mgs Sodium Amytal P.D ......& 3 X 5 mgs Valium! Are these addictive, No way,  the only way you can hurt yourself is to jump in a vat full of tablets and drown..........OK, I took what he prescribed. The ulcer did not get better, I was a doped up zombie. That's OK for some, but I drive a truck for a living, and it is a  tough job!

I used to come home and sit in a chair just like a zombie. I used to go to be at 7 p.m. I found out about the Sodium Amytal, and I hit that cold turkey.I used to see the ceiling come down on me at night, and so the  withdrawal pains went on. Eventually I overcame that pill.

Next was Valium on the list. I stopped that. I was driving the truck along a main road and .............whoosh! I was not sure which way I was driving. I was shaky all right. I phoned the doc: Get back on the Valium straight away says the expert. I confronted him, I said these things are addictive, nonsense says he, I am a doctor, and that is my job to know! So I could not argue with the man.

As time went by, I saw other doctors and they all said, what the hell are you taking these for? They were prescribed for me some years ago by a G.P! Says I! So it went on.

One Medical I had, was for a British HGV license, and the M.D said, how the blazes do you keep awake on these? Good question, I did and have drove without an accident for over 50 years! If anyone has ever experienced the terror of disorientation whilst cutting the Valium, they would not ask that question!

Yes I have been in several clinics, and paid for it! Simply useless! A lot have jumped on the bandwagon of Hoffman La Roche to make money!

One joker had me cut it cold turkey, he knew his stuff alright. He was examing me a few days later, and tried to put his stethescope to my chest, I could not stop shaking! He prescibed another tranquiliser. One night a nurse came in to check me, and called the Matron, she got me some Valium tablets, she commented I was verging on serious fits.

I have tried the tapering off, according to Shirley Trickett, I went 9 months,down to 1/2 mg of Valium at night, but the pain in the epigastric area was murderous. I saw a G.P. he  put my on something, it was for dyspepsia he said, may have been only it was an addictive tranquiliser.
Back to square on, My wife said I was really putting myself through misery, and asked me to just get back on the Valium.

It has been like tha off and on now for some years. To come up to date. Apart from my job, I  also did Marahon running till I was 65, and clocked up 15 City to Surfs in Sydney.Plus swimming in distances.

I know a bit about the the religios side, as a church goer, I have not really got much from that. I have given each a shot, including the Unitarians, but that was no good.

I have a book 'The Tough Minded Optomis' by Norman Peale. I also have all his other books. I have several bibles and other religious works. So we can leave that for a minute.

I thought I would I would give Norman Peale's 'Positive Thinking' a try. OK so went ahead. One quotation I used and kept in my mind. Was from Phil:4:13.......'I can do all things through the power of Christ, which strengthens me'! I repeated this and thought about every hour in between my norma prayers. So far so good! I came down from 4 tabs: P.D to 3, then 3 to 2, then 2 to 1, It was a bit tricky, but using the words from the scriptures was going to get me by............! I mentioned the running a while ago, why? Today I was walking, a short walk, 3.5 miles. And whooosh, I got the most peculiar sensation. A sort of whizzing in the head, and I thought I was going to fall over! This contiunued half way through the walk till I got to the stage where I was praying I would make it home, I prayed no one would I bump into I knew, I was just about shaky knackered! I got home, and was grateful. But the whizziness was still there.

You will note I stopped running in 1965, a little question of cholsterol, which blocked one of my heart arteries had come away. I lost 20% of the power in my heart! Next, I lost my  wife to and isidious disease brought on for the brain cancer, the Stephen Johnson Syndrome, some expert Onclogists did not realise she was allergic to Dilantin!

Next step, they isisted I have a pacemaker installed! Why, they said my pulse was too low! I tried to tell them that all marahon runners have a low pulse in general, but  they were not used to seeing athletes, so I was given the bionic pacemaker!

Why I am saying or writing this I am not sure! But I feel I must. Don't let it put you off getting off your drugs, just do what you think best and try hard. One thing I will say, don't become the self reformed sinner! (As in the bible). You need a power greater than yourself! That is for sure, like in A.A. the 12 steps, it does not matter what you think this power is, or what it looks like, just realise, you need it. Just like the man on skid row, you can't fall any lower, but you can go up!

My e-mail is ***@**** if you want to drop me a line to tell me how wrong I am. But to you all............Good luck, just hang on in there, or you may finish up on the 43 year addiction!
After undergoing a 21 day withdrawal period for Valium (cold turkey) in a hospital setting I have had skeletal muscle tightness in my chest and neck.  Sometimes it can be very distracting.  I have had this condition since 1979.

Has anyone experienced a similar condition ??
You need to get your neck and upper back checked out. An MRI possibly. The muscle relaxant properties could have been hiding another condition that causes muscle tightness.
I have been on Valium for 3 years.  Started tapering off a month and a half ago.  I am experiencing muscle aches,joint pain,panic attacks and a sour taste in my mouth.  I am astounded at the pain the drug has hidden.  I am worried that I will have to live the rest of my life with these symptoms.  However, I am steadfast on not going back to Valium or any other painkillers or sleep aids.  Can anyone here who has gone through this tell me if these symptoms last?        
I am on about 70mg of vailum a day and stoped takin it about a week ago I feel like im gong to die!! any advice!!!
I was on 6 mg Ativan for 1 year prescribed by a doctor who omitted to inform me that it should not be taken for more than 2-4 weeks. Had she told me this, i wouldnt have taken them for the length of time i have done..I have since been on a withdrawal taper and have replaced Ativan with Diazepam [Valium]  I am now down to 20mg of Valium, and wil be dropping another 5 mgs next week....Working ok. Main withdrawals are Dry metallic mouth,
Muscle aches, headaches,lethargy,.low mood and emotional blunting. I think that if you know what is going on, and why you feel as you feel as you withdraw, you can bite the bullet, and be courageous, and you will come through the other side. Slow tapering is the answer and remember not all people have the same withdrawal experience....One size does not fit all. I was initially given Ativan for a cancer scare that turned out to be ok But even though the reason i took them had gone,my dependence on these little monsters hadnt... i was lost in a maze of Benzodiazipine hell. I would rather suffer a few withdrawal symptoms than take that poison. I have done a lot of research on these drugs and was horrified to learn that they can cause permanent brain damage.  Anyone wanting to learn more should Google The Ashton Manual You will find all you need to know there.
Footnote; I have reported my doctor to the Medical council and that feels good!
my boyfriend has a valium addiction and is slowly tapering with the help of proffessionals, hes not sleeping is up most of the night, ive never had to deal with anything like this before and know nothing about the drug, i dont know how hes going to react from one day to the next, ive tried getting him to talk to me but i just hit a brick wall, what can i do to help him
my boyfriend has a valium addiction and is slowly tapering with the help of proffessionals, hes not sleeping is up most of the night, is there anything i can do to help him, ive never had to deal with anything like this before and know nothing about the drug, i dont know how hes going to react from one day to the next, ive tried getting him to talk to me but i just hit a brick wall, what can i do to help him
hi, i have withdrawn from vallium, and there are others who can help too, but this is an old
thread, if you go to the top of the page, and post your question , it will start a new thread for you and get you some help and advice,  sudie
thankyou i have done just that
i have been on valiums for 42yrsi tried to stop i went to the er 2 xstayed in 1xmy body becamesoaked with water could not speek could only make soundslike i was in labor could not stand i felt like someone was sucking the life out of me i thought i was dying it felt like marbels were racing up and down my legs and arms i thought for sure i was dying i didnt remember alot that happened thoses night of pure horror i was told by family i said things i would have never told a sole about my past life i had seizures and my body on it owno help from me makes that horrible sound like im in labor im back onvalium and fell 90percent better
1-to the hospital two times let me go the first time kept me the second time i was laying down and started to feel funny then water started pouring from every where you could think of ifelt like my body was being pulled down into a death whole then i couldnt speak  or stand up as i layed on my bed my body made sounds like i was in labor i had no control over it my family was in fear for my life there were all crying i could not answer them i could not talk just make that horrorible noise as i lay there helpess strange things started to happen it felt like steel marbels where racing up and down my arms and legs it was so painful if i would have been alone i might have killed myself i have had very very bad child birth and an etopic pregancy this was harder im now back on valium and feel normal
i've been one ativan for about six months now and am trying to taper it off but my doctor isn't exactly being so specific about how long i should be tapering for each mg, so i keep going up and down. it takes me a while to realize when i feel like poo it's probably because i haven't taken my ativan and my body is feeling it. my doc started me out at only one mg and then down to a half. but im down to a quarter of a pill now and i was wondering if anyone had any tricks for the making the sick feeling less horrible..im only eighteen so i don't want to be on it forever. thank you.
I totally agree i just went threw the most scariest thing in my life. If you can you might be better off going to a detox where they can monitor you. They taper you down with Phenabarbitol not sure if that is spelled right. But my doctor had me taking diazepam for about 5 yrs up to 3 a day 5mg but i only took it about 2,  4times a wk. When another doctor told me to stop cold turkey it sent me into withdrawals but i didn't know that was what was happening to me at first till a friend mentioned it and i tried to tell my primary the pain doctor that took me off of it and 2 trips to the ER no one would believe me, they thought i was a pill seeker when in fact NEVER had i ever abused my medicines. So I called a Detox place and they helped me after I had been withdrawing cold turkey at home for 2 wks, they could not believe what these doctors had done to me. I would like to report them but i dont know where to go to do that. Good Luck to you, its a tough road
I was put on valium 10mg , about 10 years ago for  fast heart rate.  I am very drug sensitive and beta blockers were a problem for me.  The valium seemed to be a good solution for me and so the doctors kept me on it.  About four years ago I was hospitalized with severe abdominal pain in which I would have pain and have severe bloating. ( I had been suffering from this for some time. I had numerous tests and nothing seemed to be there.) I was given stadol by IV push and it put me in a semi coma. I then went into Steven-Johnsons syndrom (syndrome) and went into a nightmare of having my skin peel off and losing my hair and a metabolic crash.  I was put on synthroid immediately and  that begin another hugh medical problem.  I saw doctors from the Mayo to doctors from Mich. to Texas. By chance I saw a local family practice who looked at my meds and questioned the valium and the synthroid. My husband and I decided to look at my levels and increases in synthroid and agreed with doc that I had probably never needed the synthroid in the first place. The doc felt that it was a reaction to be so sick and the reaction to stadol and the stevens-johnson syndrom (syndrome) and the doctors should have waited to let body stabilize before beginning a different drug.  The bottom line is I never needed the drug for hypothyroidism.  He (the family doctor) felt I needed to get off the valium and I began the withdrawal.  I tapered off from the end of Feb to the end of April and it was a very difficult as I was also coming off high doses of synthroid. (from  122 to 62 so far) I am suffering from feeling like my ears need to pop, to increased sensitivity to noise,  and feeling some vertigo and dizziness  to being light headed. I went to endocrinologist and my levels have stabilized some and have decided to leave me there for a couple of months and let my body stabilize somewhat.  I am reluctant to start more drugs for my ear  problem if it could be part of valium withdrawal.  Has anyone out there experienced any of these problems? Help please????
Yes, Valium will make your Ears and Nose feel stuffy - I call it pumpkin head... Severe Vertigo and Tinnitus ringing in your ears... sometimes they will feel painful... It will pass - May take 6months to a year for all these bizzare symptoms to pass - just ignore them and tell yourself each day will be better... Hang in there and do not take any Benzo again...
Way to fast. 70 mg no wonder. I am going cold turkey off 2.5 mg and I feel like I am going to die. You need to taper off. Call your doctor NOW!
February,2010 I posted a lengthy account of how I was hooked on Valium. I forgot this. I am still trying to battle it. That is the word, and the Phil:4:13 referred to by Norman Peale oddly came back again.

I think we have to take a realistic approach to this problem.Why, with most elderly people, they become like vegetables in the long run. How do I know, easy, I am about to hit the age 80 mark next month. I have been hooked and it is one wish with me.......to get off these crutches.

My Kingdom is not of this world said the great teacher, Christ Jesus, here we can stand right back and take a look at what he meant. Just read Adams-v- Hoffman La Roche. They are not concerned with helping people, sick or not, but are just concerned with making money. They are 'respectable'........********, they are no different to the drug pusher on the hard line drugs who get jailed for what they do, but the drug firms, especially the Swiss ones get plenty of reward, just as bank directors get big bonuses for bankrupting their banks, and go on getting the money regardless, and even move on to more responsible lucrative positions. E.G. Sir Fred Goodhew.....Fred the Shred. He was having sex with his women staff and promoting them, the Royal Bank of Scotland went broke. Fred got his millions and great pensions, and the perks of retirement. For me, I think he should have been hung, drawn and quartered. He is just one of many globally that I mention. So we come back to the Valium problem!

Why do we need to get off it so badly. Simply because we tend to become the living dead in many ways. We lose a lot of the good things in life whilst we are taking the 'fix'! We cannot get a really good sleep for a start, Prof: Heather Ashton confirms this. Next, they now think it may affect the brain and make the damage irreparable, but no one dare say it. They have the legalised crooks to  deal with. Plus doctors,who must be getting some rip off from Hoffman's for getting people hooked.

How many of you have really had any help from a G.P? How many G.P's want to help. From their point of view, you waste consultation time, and that means loss of money to them, it is their manna. That won't do! So apart from the likes of Heather Ashton, you are on a wild goose chase.

I come to my latest go with the taper: 30 days ago, I forgot to take a tablet and did not notice it, but when I did, I quickly got one. Then I was reading Norman Peale's books again, and did not read the thrillers. What hit me, Peale said the Kingdom of God is within us, and then Hans Holbein's painting of Jesus came to mind, he is standing outside a door and there is no handle for him, it is on your side, so only you can open it to him. I hit the saying again in Phil:413. I read more and it came back to me off and on. If think I can I can, somewhere else, 'The battles in life don't go to the stronger nor faster man, but the man who thinks he can!

I accept demons are around now, I never did before, but reading two more books......from two boys who died, and came back. I knew there had to be something in it.

So armed with the Power within, I tried again to get away form this embarrassing drug, one we sneak, but don't really mention it, simply because we are really aware that it is a crutch and something we don't want to advertise.

For the first 30 days, I cut Valium...2 X 5mgs p.d down, and just prayed without stopping. I mean by praying, saying over and over again, a biblical quotation. A mantra if you like. Now I have been thought detox for alcoholism, and done the 12 steps of St.Ignatius of Loyola, but in the long run, it always comes back to the person themselves. They must do it. No matter where you look, you will see this.

Ok getting back to the Val: cut back. I thought, I have cut back, not me, but some power within me, a power we all have if we but knew it. It is built into us! I got by oddly for the first time. I have not mentioned this to anyone, just gone about it. I take no credit,I know that belongs to God within me. I have not really been tested. But last night I was. I cut the third tablet out, so that made three.

About 2 a.m, it is hard to describe, I felt my right arm go into some spasmodic movement, this went up my shoulders and neck and head. I can only liken it to a sort of electric shock of some sort. Sure I felt shaken, had I had a stroke or what. I moved arm and legs etc, but it seemed OK, I just lay there waiting to see what else would happen. Nothing did.

I lay till 4.a.m. sleep was elusive. I got up and had some tea. I went back to bed and probably dozed off here and there. But I don't feel tired today....oddly.

I was logically concerned and had cause to be. I have Congestive Heart Failure to contend with. In fact, I had tests a couple of weeks ago and was told, I needed a defibrillator, a gadget that gives you an electric shock if you heart goes on the blink. I refused this. The Cardiologist, said ....You could drop dead any minute, just like that. OK I said, so could you and lot of other people, so what is the worry, no one on earth today is going to be around in 130 years, they will all be pushing up the daisies. You included.

So what has this to do with withdrawing from Valium, just read the Book of Job and that could tell you a lot.

I am just going to carry on as best I can. Instead of Lee Child's and Jack Reacher, Geoffrey Archer, I am just going to read things that reinforce my mind,that will be some help. I would say the same to all who try to cut the Valium out. You are not unique, the problems, scary, as they may be are experienced by anyone addicted to Diazapam.

Like Dr.Norman says, you can if you think you can! The best medication for the shakes etc, is the greatest physician's prescription, and anyone can get that prescription, it is the Good Book!

I am not proselytising,nor preaching, just telling it as it is. Forget yourself. Get away from your greatest enemy for a while if you can.

Walk and see the wonders of nature from the sky down to the beauties on earth or in the seas, and coastlines.

Will I get the bad feelings again tonight? I don't know. But if I do, I will just hang on in there as best I can. Since 1967 I have been a slave to diazapam, and no longer want those chains on me. Age is of no matter, it is just like your house number, what does that matter? It is of no importance, what is important, do that which is right. Make paupers of the drug  pushers and manufacturers. And reap the rewards for doing so!

Step outside of yourself and see the other charismatic people and what have they got that you have not........nothing, you can be a high as you want to be. Just believe that is so. You want to be a President, OK, what is stopping you? Only your own thoughts. The negative ones.
im really worried about my boyfriend his been takin alot of diazipam latley an ive tryed so hard to tell him to stop but he wont listen the reason y he has it is his got epilepsy an only has it when he has a bad fit. but his been goin to the docs an getting more with out our staff knowing about it we live in supported housing. im so worried his always takin 10mg all the time i jus really need some advise on what to do because i dont want to lose him.
I found one thing out in my battles with Valium. At first, it is a real tricky devil. Sure you feel lousy, and then you have your off days and then you feel OK, similar to stopping smoking or drinking.

But the thing is, you are making progress........are you? There is a plain logical reason for the failures. I'll say why in a minute.

Detox clinics are just a waste of money, real waste, simply because the time needed can vary from weeks to years to taper. It hits you like smoking in some ways, you may have smoked, then stopped, done well, and then had a swim, and out of the blue......Wham, you fancy a cigarette,and it comes a battle that leaves you washed out, but Valium is not like that.

You may take a walk and feel really good. You are on a cut back program. All seems under control. It is not. In the mind, you brain has receptors that normally respond emotionally, like turrets on a castle, Valium fills them in. They in fact are the seats of your emotions. And then, left empty, they get a bit haywire, and don't know what to do. Valium used to placate them, now you are on your own without the sugar baby! It is difficult. I don't think in all the books and literature I have seen two cases the same.

On the walk, it is nice and sunny, the sky is blue, the flowers are beautiful, people smile as they pass you. You feel OK. Then whizz, your head spins. This scares you. It settles, but the damage is done. You walk very warily waiting for it to come back. Gradually, you begin to feel knackered and glad to make it home. The next day, after a lousy night, you are a bit scared about going for a walk. This it to be expected, you may put a Valium in you pocket as insurance and comfort. You would not do this with cigarettes or drink. But this is more powerful.

It is mystifying. I was doing so good, so why this now??????

Here it is quite simple: Some tranquillisers have varied lives, some short, some long in the system. Lets look at Valium then.........You may know it is long term in the blood....that is OK, but this is where it foxes you. It has a life span effect of 800 hours (33 days +) before it really produces the BAD withdrawal symptoms, these could take on many forms. Many common, many not so common. But the thing here is, you are not prepared for this and it hits you really hard. Shakes, nerves, not sure of yourself, negative thoughts pour in. So you feel lousy. Simply because you thought you had it made. To sum that up, you thought you were on the way to beating it, but that is the problem with it. It lets you think this, then hits you.....real hard!

Booze is different, it hits you the next day, getting coffee or tea to your mouth with shaking hands is a herculean task, but it gets better and better,and as time goes on, you heal. As with smoking. But not so with Valium, on the contrary, the opposite.

You can try a Tranx group, or that sort of thing, doing the 12 steps. It works for some, but not for some.

The one posting I have seen on here is the one that like me has had the problem for 40 years + and said, right, I am not going to suffer these withdrawal symptoms any longer, and just goes back to the best solution, taking the Valium, but keeping it to an intelligent dose. What suits you I think.......1....2....3....4...Per day. What you are happy and comfortable.

The A.A used Serenity prayer comes to mind her. Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can change, And the wisdom to know the difference!

So, now, what are you going to do?
i have made it too day 21 off the valium,,i was takin 60 mg a day for 4 months,,i can honestly say it has been the worst 21 days off my life,,i still hardly sleep but really thats nothing compared to the nitemare i have just had,,this is a very dangerous drug,,i advice anyone never take these pills as the withdrawal is by far the worst feeling u could ever imagine,,,anyone need any advice or help feel free to email me ,,its,,,,, cole_music***@****
I have been taking valium for almost 6 years at first I got them from the street dealers, I enjoyed the ruthlessness of taking valium and drinking alcohol it was all just one big aggressive mad party then I went to the doctor on a day I was feeling stressed and anxious (I suffer from panic and anxiety disorder) and asked for some valium the doctor said that he could only prescribe 2mg tablets I said ok fair enough and off i went with my prescription i then went to chemist got my tablets got home and to my amazement when i opened the bag it had 3 x 28 tablet box's of valium ( but they were all 10mg pills instead of 2mg( thats nearly 900ml) i thought 'score' did'nt even think about it i started taking them the doctor had to carry on prescribing me the same amount no checks were done no real help there just a repeat prescription of the same amount per week i had lots of crazy times on them parties etc etc which last about 2 years i then decided that i didnt want to take valium or drink any more i stopped cold turkey i would average my daily dose at the time at about anywhere between 40-80ml, about 4,5 days passed then 'BOOM' out of nowhere i had the most scarey insane panic attack i have ever experienced i did not know this was down to the valium as i felt fine for 4,5 days then i quickly realised it was withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, i still didnt have any real clue as to how to take these things so i just cut back on my use i only took a certain amount through the week say no more than 20-30ml then on the weekend no more than 50ml then over the course of a year i mananged to stablilise on 20ml per day that was 18 months ago i am now taking 9.5ml soon to be 9ml, i have been reducing my dose at no more than 10% of what my daily dose is i got this advice from a professer called heather ashtons she has info on benzo.org, i soon realised after many visits to my GP that there is no real help from benzo addicts and that i was on my own unfortunatley , it has took me a long time to get to where i am now and will take me another 18 months to get off it completley all i will say is DO NOT come off this drug to quickly as the side effects can be fatal! Valium is a drug that should only be prescribed in extreme cases, it has massive potential for abuse even with your an average person and the withdrawl (withdrawal) process is just not worth the hassle beleive me, to any one out there suffering from withdrawl (withdrawal) who feels alone and stupid for even taking this drug in the first place you are not alone and stay strong you will make it, it just takes time alot of time!
I have came of vallies 7 weeks ago, and it's been a *****(no disrespect).
I have had panic attacks, nightmares, aches and pains etc. But it does get better. I was on 40mg a day for 2 and a half years, and when I decided to get off them I tappered myself of them slowly, that's what you should do. Honestly you should see a doctor you could have a seizure, I have had 2.

Now I just can't sleep very well, the panic attacks have gone, no more seizures.Still have the stupid metalic taste in my mouth, dizziness, and sweats now and then. But that's better than the first 14 to 28 days which in my opinion are the worst

GO SEEK A DOCTOR TRUST ME.......;)
I read the whole lot, from everyone.

1. Everyone is complaining on how they are or have took A-lot of drugs at high dosage.
2. No one is actually really giving out advice on how to cut down or stopped totally  (maybe they just don't know it)
3. I know A-lot in this subject so if you want help please continue to read.

First of all i want to say i  love the quote about the grandfather explaining to his grandson about a battle of two wolves within him and every other person!
The only other part i would add on to that would of been ( and when you have feed your good wolf, remember child later in life your good wolf which has been fed and filled up and now it will be laid back and will at times come up against a vicious hungry bad wolf. my child i would rather come up against a hungry "nice" wolf than a hungry "bad" one. so be NICE and SHARE!?!!

Anyway to the people who have been on drugs for over 20+years, i don't mean to be rude or anyway heisty towards you but when you where perscribed these drugs the docters really did not have as good quality in medical science as we do in todays modern area!
This brings me to the conclusion of "gunnie-pig area"  If you check out post world war I and II drugs like the ones talked in this thread where not took in as much quantity as they are today! so what am i getting at?

Where has all your test results went to? quite simple to progress our medical science in these drugs.
And somehow we have came up with the conclusion that these drugs can be abused! GOD KNOWS HOW THIS HAPPEND!? as i do not.

to the people who take illegal ones the blue roche 10mg for example.
here is ingredients (if your lucky of just one tablet of 10mg roche)

3mg of diazepam
4mg of magnesium
1mg of blue ink (no it is not a chemical reaction of the benzodiazepen and magnesium that turns fake diazepam blue)
1mg of rat poisen
1mg of apaurine

they are cheap (easy purchased in 1000's for a reson!) so please for your health if your doing this please simply tell your docter what you are doing and explain to them you are going to continue to do so if they do not perscribe you the correct drug (the safer one) and this is what your docter is here for, is it not? if they refuse to help you they are not doing there job, and the last i looked the word JOB is what your a getting paid for and the last i looked the word DOCTER means a person who cares or looks after another person! so on there best interest would HAVE to be is to perscribe you diazepam to stop you from taking fake ones WHICH i might add is funding illegal orginizations, thus the government should be having a bigger impact on this subject than just letting it down to ONE person ( GENERAL PRACTICONER to deiced your heatlh ) but yet you still vote these unscrupulous people in to power i will not get into this as that is another story.
Back to the matter at hand!

If you want to get off the drugs you are on but its making your health worse
ITS SO EASY ITS A SECRET THEY DONT WANT TO TELL YOU BECAUSE IT KEEPS THE MONEY FLOWING FOR THEM.

I know this because i have 2 P.H.Ds in medical science.

So yes here is your answer. Strengthening up your immune system as abuse of any chemicals INCLUDING the ones your brain already produces changes the way your immune system works.  Yes change does not mean bad all the time so therefore your docter can't find what the problem is...

The information is already at your disposal on how to do this!

i took valium 60 mg. dailey for years. diagnosed with epilepsy, the drug was used for seizure control.  it never worked.i was forced to go cold turkey off from it by my employer's demand.  for 2 months i went thru hell.  there was not a spot on  my body that did not itch all of the time.later other drugs i was on dam near killed  me and i had become a canidate for surgery.  surgery was successful and proved i had a tumor which was removed.  now after 35 years off drugs i still have traces of all the drugs.  
they all have atomic half lives and never  totaly end .
I have just read your post and want some advise.  I am trying to withdraw from ambien/zolpidem and dormonoct which I have been using for sleep for 12years  and have reached total tolerance levels i.e. the are no longer working and i am taking more and more to sleep.  I have contacted the non-benzodiazepine society who suggest I switch to valium and follow the Ashton Manual to taper down.  My question to you is how bad is is your insomnia during taper off i.e. do you sleep at all, how much etc.  The reason I ask this is because I tried to cold turkey off all my sleep meds in a rehab with the most disasterous withdrawals but the complete worst was the insomnia. I never slept for a single minute in 17days.  I ended up spending 3weeks in a psychiatric hospital. Please give me your advice.
I have a CNS issue still UN-diagnosed. I am keeping this short for I am in the middle of this horrible times and I have no energy. I am posting here in attempt to find out if the withdraw is life threatening , I have all but lost hope for a "long future". I have been on 30 Mg to much higher dosaes for over 15 years,

I have one month into this with going to 2 Mg a day of lorapam, People around me know I am "beating" this medicine yet I feel as if this is simply to much. I am hoping in best case that the excessive amounts of diazapam have actually caused my complete equilibration and CNS break down, I now wonder if I should get back on the doses of valium or continue with this drop.

I post this to this community in hopes that what I am doing is safe and will it make any differnce in the long run.. I would add that I am writing this in the middle of the with draw.

You and your doctor need to get together and discuss a taper plan.
As for another recent post saying:
""I tried to cold turkey off all my sleep meds in a rehab with the most disasterous withdrawals but the complete worst was the insomnia. I never slept for a single minute in 17days.""
I went through a similar situation though yours seems even worse.     But I'm not surprised when I read these constant posts about insomnia.    Many of these legal Rx drugs will disrupt your brain's chemistry to the point where it shuts down production of its own natural chemicals that control the sleep/wake cycle.     Add to that the fact your body becomes tolerant of the drugs to the point they don't work anymore and it means you are left with nothing to control the sleep/wake cycle.      So then the next step is to wait it out until your brain gets the signal that it once again has to produce its own...but that takes time and so seems to describe what you've been through.     Most people decide to again take the med,  even more of it out of desperation to get rest..but that only prolongs the problem.    
that was a very informative article getting off dependent drugs is not easy indeed the doctors give out far to many without discussing the consequences of when you are dependant on them
I came off valium on 6th December. I have been on it for 8 years. Before I was on ativan on and off for 20+ years. It was done in a planned way, with my GP's help and advice. I have had "flu" with awful muscle and skeletal pains and now I am having sensory problems such as feeling frozen in places even though my skin is a normal temp, insomnia, depression and dizziness. My GP is really pleased, but I am feeling virtually suicidal.
Hi and welcome...Sorry you posted on an old thread and it's quiet here because it's the weekend.  Benzo tapering can be tricky and everyone is different...Have you been completely honest with your GP about usage and how you are feeling?  Sometimes adjustments have to be made and only you and your doctor can figure that out together...  I know the anxiety is paralyzing and w/d are really tough..If you are really feeling suicidal there are help lines you can call and talk or you can always go to an ER.  Please hang on to whatever you can...I know it's hard but know that you are not alone.  Hot baths, soft music, deep breaths...Whatever gets you through the moment.  Please seek medical care if it becomes too much and keep posting....Sending support...Lu
Thank you for your welcome and advice, Lulu. It does help to know I am not alone and and to know that I am not going crazy, as I had begun to think!
No-you are not going crazy...I know how it feels though...How are you feeling today?  Feel free to message me personally if you need anything and don't want to post...Hang in there....Lu
Hang in there. I am now in month two and I feel MUCH better. I never knew I was still hiding inside waiting to be free.. Its not over - BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE FAITH - THIS TOO WILL PASS, as long as it is safely done.
Hanging on, stimpi! Thanks for your encouragement.
I'm feeling a tiny bit better - can eat a bit more and sleep a little!
I'm one day not so bad and one day rough as a a badger's coat - weird!
Saying get away from pain medicines and benzos for life is incredibly ignorant and cruel advice. Some people need them for very legitimate reasons.

I for one have been on Klonopin daily for 7 years for panic disorder and take hydrocodone a few times a month due to recurring uric acid kidney stones and gout. I also take meds to help clear out uric acid from urine and have a special diet but still need the pain meds. I plan on being on both drugs in moderation for life. This does not mean I am addicted, it means I am dependent. So long as neither drug affects my work abilities, social relationships, etc, it is not addiction. This is the same advice I give to patients on a daily basis. If there is a problem with "all or nothing" personalities, I recommend cognitive behavioral therapy so that they control their use of necessary medication and learn to use them judiciously.

If you are an all or nothing personality that cannot take medication in moderation, by all means avoid it. But most ppl are not like that. Please refrain from conflating your experience to general advice. It is very dangerous as many of us depend on pharmaceuticals to have any quality of life at all. Benzos and hydrocodone are every bit a part of my quality of life as heart medicine and insulin are to a diabetic.
That is horrible advice. You are 80 years old and the medication worked for you for many years. Why on earth would you stop now? The religion is not solving your physiological problems other than giving your temporary endorphin highs from delusional thoughts not unlike phantasy thinking about doing something fun or being the hero of a story. Also, why do you need to look around at other "charismatic people" and compare them to you. You are not them and they are not you. Different parents, different genetics, different experiences, different everything. They may or may not need the medication but that is irrelevant. They are not you and you obviously needed the medication and to stop now to live our your golden years in mental and/or physical pain is terrible advice for others. The judicious use of medication is the reason these medications were invented and given to humans. For crying out loud the ignorance and hand-wringing of people taking medication they need and feeling they have a personality deficiency because they need them are ridiculous. Drugs for mental condition add quality of life to neurotransmitter deficiencies the same way beta blockers add quality of life to hear patients and insulin adds quality of life to diabetics. Learn to use medications wisely and in moderation and stop the ignorant proliferation of bad advice!
av just taking 10 tens once yesterday ifeel awfull today is there anything i can take to stop feeling so awefull ????
Hi what have you taken in the past? The most values at once before? Talk to me...let's see what we can do.
just 2 tens , but i still feel ill ilke wind symtoms (symptoms)  i was drinking a lot also
Wow! Denial is denial and 7 years of klonopin daily will definitely give you a good dose of that. So what your saying is that you don't need REM or SWS? "Someone" might need the Ashton Manual. This comment does not pertain to the other meds, as I know nothing about them, but benzos daily are a very bad idea (PERIOD) Brainwashing is only to be administered  by the brain in need of washing.
American Doctors don't want to help you. They want to keep you. You aren't a patient. You are a client. Anyone wanting to come off of benzos who does not have access to a doctor needs to read the Ashton Manual. It can be found at benzo.uk.org/manual. The American public needs access to this literature. It needs to be in our system.
no-one                                                                                                             hi, i don,t really no were to start but here i go. I am one week in to withdrawing from 20 mg diazepam a day. Iv started by reducing by half mg a day. Im 50 yrs old and have been on these for 12 yrs, many a time iv missed taking a dose due to sleeping and saved those for when i needed to go out of the house taking an extra two which has become a habit. If i know i have got to go somewere i will take a prescibed 7.5mg zopiclone so i can save my diazipam up. My psychiatryt has just changed my antidepresants to 20mg of mirtazapine a night just  weeks ago. I got to rock bottom at the end of november last year when to many things got to me and really let myself go and if it was'nt for a very good friend calling round to see if i was ok i really don't think i would be here to write this now because i'd turned my phone off, kept my blind's shut and nobody had seen me. I hope i get a reply, i want to tell more but as i m writing this i can hardly see the keys as my eyes are streaming. Please help x
i also had a heart attack in 2008 and after reading some of these posts am now frightened of withdrawing x
I think you are tapering rediculously fast.  The recommended rate is 5 - 10% every 3 -4 weeks.  You are 50 years old (I am also in my 50's) and you have been on them for 12years so if I were you I would go with the 5% reductions.  It is very important to take the correct dosages daily and at the same time each day so do not take the Zopiclone instead of your Valium. I suggest you download the Ashton manual and take it to your doctor so you can work on a more sensible taper plan.
thanks for the reply carol, i'v wrote things wrong. I take 4 x 5mg daily. I'v started cutting down by 2.5mg daily, leaving me with 3 and a half diazepam to take daily. I also take a 7.5mg zopiclone at night. If i missed taking any diazepam its them that i have saved to take when and if i have got to leave the house. I hope iv made more sense, it's the first time iv spoke about these horrible tablets and im not very good at all on the laptop. please reply if i have made more sense thank's.
I still think your cut is too much.  If you were taking 4 x 5mg = 20mg.  The maximum you should have reduced was 2.00mg i.e 10%.  I would still have gone with 5% =1.00mg every 2 to 3weeks.

Zopiclone is also very addictive and even though it is not marketed as a Benzodiazepine - Z-drugs work on the same GABA receptors.  The difference being their shorter half life. This means you are confusing your brain even more and will definitely be experiencing interdose withdrawals.  Valium has a 300hour life every time you take a Zop.

Noon IMO you should do a  taper of the Zopiclone first - I don't know how long you have been on it but if possible you should loose it first and then once you have stabilized - usually at least 3months later should you start to taper Valium.  The Ashton manual says Z-drugs can be c/t but I think that is ludicrous if you have been on them for a long time.  A 10% taper is far more sensible.

You are going to have to be more vigilent about not missing doses - get a monthly pill box and put your daily doses in them.  To w/d any drug with as few s/e as possible a slow taper is advised and it is imperative to take your doses at the same time EVERY day.
Hi There

My problem started with being prescribed 10mg Tamazepam for menopausal insomnia just over 12 months. I took it regularly for about a month and was then prescribed HRT which fixed the problem. However a few months ago the HRT stopped working and I had to start taking the Tamazepam again. I started going to a naturopath and was able to reduce the dosage I was taking down to about 2.5mg.  

However, suddenly I began to suffer the side effects of it not working and needing to take more. My doctor switched me over to Diazepam, but I found the equivalent dose of 5mg wasn’t enough. I kept increasing it each night until I could get to a dose that worked (10mg Diazepam) and then each night I reduced it by 1mg until I got down to the 2.5mg again.

Everything seemed to be going okay. I wasn’t sleeping great, but I was getting about 5 hours each night. My doctor's plan was for me to stay on the 2.5mg for about 5 days and then reduce to 2mg for another 5 days, then 1.75mg, then 1.5 etc, until I got off the hideous stuffed.

However, it's 4 days into the 2.5mg dose and suddenly my insomnia returned really badly and I can’t sleep again. I don’t want to increase my dosage because I feel that would be a backward step. I’m wondering if going up to the 10mg and reducing 1mg per day was too quick. What does everyone suggest?
Sorry, I got a bit confused with the doses there. My doctor wanted me to start with 2mg of Diazepam (not 5mg as I said above), but that didn’t work. So I went up to the 10mg. I’ve now come back down to the 2.5mg, and it’s from that dose that I want to withdraw without suffering the consequences of insomnia.
10mg Tamazapan is the equivalent of 5mg Valium as you correctly stated.  I am unclear of exactly how long you were on the Tamazapan for and when you crossed over did you cross directly over to the Valium and drop the Tamazapan.  Valium takes 300 hours to build up in your body.  This means you would have to have been on a particular dose for about two weeks for it to reach its full strength.  Once you reached the 10mg did you wait to stabilise at that dosage before you started to taper?  The rate at which you tapered would also influence your s/e.

If you wish to taper from 2.5mg at the recommended rate of 10% your first cut would take you to 2.25mg and then 2.03mg.  Just multiply your last dose by 0.9 each time.

Remember your taper must suit you and often making smaller cuts (5%) at longer intervals helps to ensure a smoother taper and reduce the consequential s/e.  I would not go back to 10mg and start again.  If your insomnia is really bad - that you have had zero sleep for the last 4nights then maybe you could go back to your previous dosage or to about 3mg - hold at that for about two weeks and then start tapering slowly again.

I hate to tell you this but insomnia is one of the most common s/e of tapering any Benzo or Z-drug so regardless of how slow you taper there is no guarantee that you will avoid it completely during your taper and for a while thereafter.  

Liquid Valium (if its available in your country) makes smaller and more accurate cuts possible.
I have just reread your first post.  You state that you reduced by 1mg every night!!  Yes you did taper too quickly.  I still would not suggest you go back to 10mg but to the lowest effective dose and hold at that for 2weeks before tapering.  Remember to hold at least two weeks between dose reductions.
Thanks for your replies. It is currently about 10.30 pm and I'm not able to sleep again. I took 2.5mg a couple of hours ago, and I've just taken another 2.5mg. So I don't know if that is going to work. I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with my doctor tomorrow afternoon, because obviously my rate of reduction just wasn't working. I do understand that I was probably trying to do it too quickly. My problem is also that I get hot flashes, and that doesn't help with the insomnia either.
Sorry, I didn’t really answer all your questions.  I had been taking between 2.5-5mg of Tamazepam for about a month before the withdrawal symptoms started.

I began taking Diazepam on 15th Feb. When my doctor gave me the Diaz she didn’t mention anything about continuing to take the Tamaz as well, but for the first couple of days I took 2.5mg along with the 2mg of Diaz. But as that wasn’t working, over the course of a few nights I increased to 10mg of Diaz on 18th Feb. I knew that was more than I needed, or was used to, but my plan was to take that larger dose as a one-off and then each night reduce by 1-2mg until I got the dose that I needed, which I thought was 2.5mg. That seemed okay for about 4 nights, but then the withdrawals presented again. Obviously that was the wrong thing to do, but now I’m really confused as to what I should do.

Last night I ended up taking 7mg. I did get some sleep, but it was only a few hours, but as I took the 7mg over the course of about 4 hours I probably didn’t get the full effect of it. I know that while this is going on I’m not going to get great sleep, but as long as I can get to sleep reasonably easily, and get about 5 hours sleep, I’m okay with that. I’m also getting a lot of hot flushes and I’m now wondering if this is a result of the withdrawal, as opposed to menopause, because I noticed last night that after I took the 7mg the hot flashes seemed to settle down a lot.

So now I’m not sure what to do tonight. Do I just start doing the withdrawal from the 7mg or could I try coming down to 5 or 6mg over the next couple of nights?

I will do what you have suggested and do a taper every two weeks.  Thanks for the tip about multiplying by 0.9. That will help me work out what my next dose should be. Obviously I need to take this really slowly, and perhaps more slowly than my doctor thinks I need to, because she said I could reduce every 5 days. I’m going to try to get an appointment with her this afternoon, but it’s not always easy getting a same day appointment if you don’t phone early enough.

Thanks for your advice and help. I just want to get off this horrendous stuff. I wish I had never taken it in the first place.
You are really confusing your brain with your erratic dosing - it is important to dose the same amount at the same time each day to be able to acurately establish what the lowest effective dose is.  

Insomnia is known to increase anxiety which tends to exhasperate flashes.
Taking Diazepan would have calmed your anxiety hense providing you with some relief.  At the same time your erratic dosing of Diazepan means you are constantly w/d from lower doses.  You have not been on it a long time but following a slow taper is always recommended.

I am 5years post menopause and was on Benzo's and Z-drugs for insomnia 13years so I understand how difficult this time is. I am still tapering off a Z-drug and having gone 21 nights straight with zero sleep trust me a slow taper is always better than cold turkey.
Well, I do have some interesting news. It would seem my problems aren't related to the diazepam at all. I saw my doctor again and she is convinced that what I was experiencing had nothing to do with withdrawal because the dose I was taking wasn't high enough or long enough, and she’s had a fair bit of experience with this kind of thing.

I went off HRT last November because it had stopped working, and I was seeing a naturopath. That treatment did seem to be working during part of January, but considering all the symptoms I was experiencing my doctor was convinced it was hormone related, so it would seem that the naturopath’s treatment had stopped working as well.

So I went back on to HRT again, which usually works pretty quickly, and I'm already feeling better. The hot flashes have reduced and I have slept reasonably well without taking any diazepam at all, although I will take a small dose over the next couple of weeks to taper myself off it.

My doctor said that some women do need to change brands of HRT during the course of the menopause journey, and sometimes they might even have to go on the higher dosed stuff, but I can't be worried about the long term effects of that because the present is more important than the future. I will deal with whatever happens in the future - in the future. I’m also taking on a new job soon, so I needed to get all this sorted out because the added stress would have been too much for me.

I think my problem has been that I have been reading too many of the horror stories on the internet, which have mostly been from people who haven’t been professional medical people or who have had long term high dose abuse of these drugs. I really needed to listen to my own doctor more, because she always said I was beating myself up too much over the whole thing, and it would seem she was right.

Thank you for your kind advice, but hopefully I have turned the corner and I am on the mend again.
That was the most inspiring piece of advice. I have read in all the research into topics such as you described.
Even reference to not watching news and negative articles is the best advice to all...the book I love to have people read is THE POWER OF NOW, by Eckhart Tolle!
Blessings to people such as yourself who can help. Others like myself learn ang grow healthier and happier!
Linda
Mooseinlaw,
Thank you for your comment--I am a believer as well, and trust that the Lord will deliver me from this dependence on Valium  (I've been on it for nausea for about 18 months (I have multiple chronic health problems, one of which requires IV nutrition, so I use IV Valium). Jesus Christ is Lord of my life, including my body. He conquered sin and death, and He loves me--and He will be with me through the withdrawal process. Your testimony of deliverance is very powerful and encouraging--I really appreciate it!!

Fortunately mine is a purely physiological dependence and not for anxiety. I've been wanting to quit, but have feared the withdrawal process. Anyway, yesterday I decided to try to quit cold turkey, and was very proud that I went over 24 hours without a dose; but after reading about the dangers and complications of suddenly stopping, I'm reconsidering my approach, and will find a tapering plan to follow.
The rest is in God's hands.
Thank you for the encouragement--even though it's been two years since you posted your comment!
1mg of Ativan is equivalent to 10mg of Valium (Diazapam).  You were tapering way to fast.  It takes about 4 months for 1mg of Ativan or 10mg of Valium.  Please everyone check out Dr. Heather Ashton in UK.  She runs a benzo clinic in UK and there is everything you ever needed to know about tapering including a schedule.  The woman graduated from Oxford Medical school and is a genious.  I have found no info in U.S.  She literally saved my life s almost died from Ativan withdrawal n the ER.  The ER doctor did not know what he was doing and tried to bring me off 5-6mg Ativan by taper in 3 weeks whichsent me right back where I started.  I have been following Heather's schedule and am slowly making progress.  It is TEDIOUS but if you want off there is no quick way.  May God bless you all and grant you success through this very difficult process. Irie Daughter
This thread is so interesting. I have been on 20mg diazapem for 3 years. I stopped cold about 3 weeks ago. The first week was torture. I thought I was getting better, because I actually felt good for a few days.. minor anxiety, insomnia, mood swings.. But then for all of the sudden all of my symptoms returned. I thought i was going crazy. I was wondering if I should just continue to 'Not' take them, and hopefully this will all go away?
I love your wolf posting! I get it. Finally someone gets it!
I have a taper chart my doc gave me, how much would you be tapering from? My boyfriend whom had seen me struggle ( & almost for on a Xanax and on a Valium withdrawl (withdrawal)) I'm very upset as he now started taking them too- just for a high to assist in I've cravings (plus he's on meds after a shocking train accident) now he is facing withdrawl (withdrawal) of the worst kind. He was also buying them and is now on 37 a day. He has 10 left and I'm terrified, I have just kinda figured he may be schizophrenic. I hate all these pulls so much. They absolutely destroy lives. I am almost off Valium myself however I use them responsibly now. (I smoke weed to help when im desperate) another thing to stuff myself mentally so I don't reccimend it. Good luck everyone going through addiction. Hope we all get to the other side.
I am planning to come off Valium cold turkey in June. I'm only on 20mg but am advised to go into detox. I have tried unsuccessfully to come of cold turkey before and tapering doesn't work. The strange thing is I've come off roughly 150 mg of morphine and 300 mg of Valium cold turkey and lived to tell the tale but getting this last 20 mg of diazepam is rough and seems to drag out. I have been tempted to take heroin for a month just to get the Diaz shifted but that plan is sure to backfire. I prefer to do home detox as I think it works. I've been on 20mg for about three years and haven't taken heroin for well over a year and don't feel the need, I don't get a high from the Valium so there is no point it being in my system. Realistic how long would it take if you went cold turkey for diazepam to leave the system I have gone without for a week before and am not concerned about seizures, any advise from a professional would be welcome.
My maths is bad 1500 mg morphine so like I said why so long to get of 20mg valium!
I was on valium for a few years I would take around 15mg's per day. I tapered off in 2 weeks. I started with 5mg's per day for a week then .05mg's for 1 week then just stoppped. I fealt very weak the first week. The second week I was not only weak but I was sick like motion sickness. By day 10 it was the worst. Day 11 I feel 100%! I do not want a valium. I took meclizine 25mg for the motion sickness. You can get this over the counte. I just took it 1 day and took 1/2 in the afternoon and 1/4 that night. I was fine the next day! Just ride it out! Good Luck
Let's see how you are next few days or next week, the real symptoms of withdrawal from Valium do not come on for weeks or even months after you stop or cut back and it is hell. You are playing a dangerous game, which could involve seizures and even death or brain damage. Gigi, you have cut way too fast and the withdrawals have not even kicked in yet, it's normal to feel okay for a day, or even a week, or more, then it hits and you wont know what has hit you.
I have been taking diazepam for years I am on 20mg now I really want to come off them. I have stopped taking them and it seems like the world is not real cant concentrate and everything is brighter how long will this last for?
I went off of them about 5 weeks ago from taking them for 11 years.  At first, it seemed easy.  After about 2 weeks it got really bad!  I just hung in there & now able to function a little bit! I believe a lot of it is mind over matter.  I have been doing research on this.  Psycho Somatic is what it is.  You are so used to taking the 'drug' that you are not 'used to life' w/o it.  I believe once that hurdle is crossed & the desire to take the drug is gone is when you start to heal.  I am still feeling the affect BUT when I tell myself that is all they are, they dissapate.  After 5 weeks, the 'drug' is probably out of your system.  I was sproatic with the doses. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little.  At the end there, I was taking 10 mills a day until I ran out & did not get a refill.  I was sick & tire of being sick & tired.  I have come this far & had a major breakthough when I conditioned my 'mind' to the fact that I was DONE!  I think a lot of the withdrawl (withdrawal) is because of that very reason... I'll be back........
Yeah this is true.  At first you 'think' you have it aced!  It does come on a few weeks after the 'drug' is stopped but the actual 'time' that the drug is really in your system is not that long after that.  It is cause of the half life.  Once you reach the point of true withdrawl (withdrawal), it is really hard & you think maybe you won't make it.  It doesn't last that long though.  Once over the detox then it is all about the 'mind'!  Conditioning oneself to 'get along with out it'.  That seems to be the hardest thing.  For so many years, we are dependent on it.  Take it away & wow!  What a difference.  Everything is intense.  I believe a lot of that is b/c the Valium DULLS everything & we just get used to that.  After awhile we realize how potent it really was & wow we did not need that!  :)
Try the benzodiazapine support group on facebook there's a lot of help and support there I myself have tapered from 150mg valium and 40mg temazepam from july 2011 I'm on 8mg now it's not easy but you can do it  also      non-benzodiaziepines.org.uk is a very useful site good luck
The Ashton Manual is the benzo bible. Print it out and read every word. I did this and it keeps me from using valium now.

I tapered very, very, slowly. By .25mgs every 3 weeks. What's the hurry if you really want to taper off completely and safely? It probably took you years to get to this point, so take it easy and taper slowly. I even took powdered fragments towards the end. As a result, I did not get sick, I felt very little difference the whole time. But I knew I was making progress so that helped calm my mind. Keep a very accurate journal/log. Go slow!

It has been just under 1 year for me since my last pill. There are occasions when my body is soooo stressed that I feel that old "need a pill" feeling. But, if you rest alot, distract yourself it will go away, make sure you eat and keep your blood sugar level. Prayers to everyone. Hang in there!! I do think some medications are necessary, but valium and similar drugs will just keep you from being free. There is a better way.
I guess I should feel fortunate ...

I take 2.5mg of diazepam twice a day for anxiety. Been taking it for YEARS. I rarely (maybe once or twice a year) feel the need to take any more - and on those rare occasions, I might take 5mg between doses if I know in advance that I'm going to be walking into an extremely stressful situation.

It works like a champ to control my anxiety, and I've never felt the need to increase my dosage, meaning, that I don't feel like I've developed a tolerance to it. But, I guess 2.5mg twice a day really isn't a hell of a lot Valium. Sometimes, I forget to take the second dose, and I've never felt any adverse effects from that.

So, because its working, and I don't feel the need to increase my dosage, I also don't feel the need to stop taking it either. I'll probably take it for the rest of my life as long as its doing the job.

A long time ago, I used to take Xanax to stop panic attacks. That works really well and pretty quickly to kill a PA. But this low dose of Valium prevents them from happening, so I'd rather take a total of 5mg of diazepam a day and not have a panic attack in the first place.

I know some people that take 25mg of Valium or more a day to control anxiety and muscle issues. I would just be too terrified to take that much of that drug even once. I don't like taking drugs to begin with, so the least amount I can take to solve the problem that I have, is what I'm gonna do :)

I'm very grateful that I can take this stuff, and its effective, and I don't feel the need to take more. But that's me, your mileage may vary.
Well, that's what I get for talking....Since my last post I had an unexpected or unexplained (as of yet) event where I awoke with my heart racing - tachycardia because it was over 100 beats per minute. It awoke me from sleep at 4am. EMT's took me to the hospital because it would not slow down for over 1/2 hour and my bp shot up 190's over 90's and stayed high for the entire 6 hr hosp stay. So, they sent me home and said to have a cardio workup. I ended up taking (on my own) 2mg of valium at home a few hours after the ER visit because my heart would not calm back down on it's own (now palpitations because rate was 90's). The valium worked within 1 hour which made me feel much better.

So, have had cardio visits and tests and now await the doctors opinion. But, I would bet you he will say anxiety. I know I am anxious, but I have never experienced anything like this. I am just thankful I had some valium left over from when I used to take it.

I am very disappointed to now be taking it again, until I find out anything better to do. Currently 2mg every other day. I am having muscle spasms and very, very sore back, shoulder and neck. Also a headache that won't go away. I am puzzled as to what happened....and I am taking the 2mg on my own now as my doctor did not tell me to take it. But, the anxious body symptoms were beyond what I could tolerate.

The ER doctors and the cardiologist suggested I may have been awoken from a scary dream or some similar event that morning. Who knows? All I know is that the shaky body has returned.

I understand what you say when you "gj32" say that you don't mind 5mg a day...but I still wish it was not necessary. I agree with you...I know people that take very large amounts or take multiple anxiety medications. So, compared to that I will be happy if I can stick to 2mg every other day, or even every day if need be. Of course now I will have to find a doctor that will continue to prescribe it to me. If they do not agree I don't know what I will do.....

My father killed himself in the 60's and he was using Valium heavily for PTSD.  Benzos are not good stuff.  Thorazine (non-benzo antipsychotic) was around at the time, cheap and non-addictive.  I wish he had used that instead.  Seems all the docs were pushing the Valium.
Hello. Ive been addicted to diazpam since i was 20, im now 38 and i am weening myself of them. After every child ive had my depression has got worse. I was up to about 30 mg a day. I am trying to ween myself off them, so i have cut down to 10 mg a day. I beginning to shake and my body feels life less. I am also on anti-depression. How long do you think it will take untill the side effects wear off?
Hi Nancy,

From your comment "I am very disappointed to now be taking it again",, Were you withdrawing?, If you were then your body was more then likely reacting to the withdrawal. If you are withdrawing make sure you cut back at the rate of 2.5% per month - its very important. Benzos have weird side effects so be very careful and look after your physical, mental and spiritual health  - Best Wishes, J
my name is james i have been valium 7 years quit taking them 21 days ago im not sleepimg at all night sweat head hurts and ears ringing what should i do too sleep eat thanks 10mg taken maybe 2 too 3 times day any suggestions
HI THERE : ) I AM ALSO COMING OF VALIUM, WAS HOOK ON THEM FOR 4 TO 5 YEARS, NOW AFTER WEANING OF FOR TWO WEEKS I STOP ALL TOGETHER 2 MONTHS NOW I FEEL FLOATING, VIRTIGO, METALLIC TASTE AS WELL HOW LONG DOES THIS LAST FOR? THANKING YOU ALL.
Hi and welcome.
You are posting on an old post  go to the top of page. Orange "post a question" start you own post that way. You will get a lot more response.
Valium is not a benzo, it's a diazepam and there is a difference. Neither is easy to get off, however I believe Valium has less side effects when you withdraw slowly, don't give up and be aware of the symptoms, these drugs should be taken off the market and used only in a hospital setting for a very short time.  
Great story and i totaly understand your pain as im coming off Valium but life is tough and hard and unlike you i have no faith in a God so i walk alone but undeluded and understand the true horror of these medicines are man made and self inflicted.
Good luck for the future.
Thank you thank you thank you for the mention of the Ashton Manual you have filled me with hope,something I haven't had for so long.I have had to take these 'horrible' little blue devils for about 3 years now due to firstly a knee operation ,then major shoulder surgery, then unfortunately another round of knee surgery because the first one failed. I have been trying so hard to come off these pills and have reduced a good few times down to taking only 5mg per day then unfortunately surgery reared it's ugly head again and i was beginning to think I would be hooked for life.I was an extremely fit extreme sportsman(b.a.s.e jumper,skydiving instructor,climber,gym fanatic) and still am pretty fit considering the operations I have had to endure.Even the great Surgeon was impressed with my physique and cardiovascular health(I have a lung capacity of 7+ litres and lung age of a 19yr old,not bad for 46!) I have tried and tried with my family GP but he is, and has always been very obtuse with me for some reason even though I am polite to him and always have been and to all other people in life too.I'm starting from today, thanks to your post, getting off these life destroying pills and I can't thank you enough for those three little words you posted 'The Ashton Manual'.I am so strong mentally there is no thought of failure,only success.You're a star and I hope life brings you what you deserve and more.Thank you very much Shauny
so glad i found this post, i to am coming of diazapam. Iwas on 10mg aday and with the help from my dr who put me on lusral Iam know down to half a mil aday, it has taken about 8mths to get this far,some days Ifeel abit wozzy and have burning sensations but most days I feel a lot lot better.Iam so glad Ihave got this far as Iwas on them for 24yrs, glad when Iam off them altogether, nasty little things. good luck to you all. sal
For those who have gone through the withdrawal process, how long did the symptoms last? I've weaned off after 10 years on it and am feeling crappy: dizzy-like, stomach pain, diarrhea, and nausea. Hope this goes away
Soon!!!!
A few years too late but for those that come across this now there is a book with a lot of info on how to get off benzos and tapering charts for different benzos as well as for different levels of usage. It is called 'the Ashton manual'. It also lists the common side effects and withdrawal symptoms and how long they are expected to last.