Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
is there any help out there to get off these pain pills?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

well what is the point in reaching out to your doctor to be told sorry nothing we can do, sorry your addicted glad you want to get off of them thoe have a great day.  WTF???? what are they there for? they dont mind handing them out but when you want to get off they all turn there back on you. guess it is cause there not making the kick back on you filling the prescriptions.  I must say this is also taking a tole on my depression which is also so much fun to deal with. Is it so much to ask to want to eat something or simply sleep I would love sleep right now but i wake up every hour with cold sweats and stomache cramps that feel like something is being ripped out of me.  Just so overwhelmed that i cant get some sort of help for anything? I am glad i stumbled on this site cause the few people i have talked to have been so suportive and great.  Its not often you find people wiling to open up and share there experiances. I guess ill just start by thanking god i found this site. and for a little help as to what to do next.  I tried cold turkey that did not work for me i have been on them way to long.  any ideas on what i can do since the doctors office couldnt care less?

I would try to find another doctor. Or there are options such as suboxone.

Melissa
i am so sorry, but alot of doctors do this and it pisses me off...What was your dosage?
i was taking 15 10 mg hydros a day, went c/t,...Can u call your doctor and ask him if he can at least percribe you some clonodine??  that helps so much...Many hot baths, immoduim for your stomach....Just try to take this as you have a really bad flu?
can u take time off of work?
do you have any support?
or kids to take care of?
r2r
there is also the thomas recepie that alot used...
I'm a newbie on this site...on day 10 of recovery from ultram. Even my Dr has no clue as to how addicting this " non-narcotic" is.
My experience is very limited and there are others here that can guide you a bit better. But I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone here. This is a very good support group, with heart.
The withdrawls are very difficult to deal with, but if you can hang in there for just a few days it gets much better by day 5-6. If you have to taper, all is well and good there too. There are many who have gone down that road and can help you w/ that.
My prayers are w/ you

dawn
what is subozone?
thank you, unfortunatly i tried CT after 26 hours and my son asking me why i looked so sick i had to give in and take 1.  i have been on vicaprofen 7.5's for 18months and the last months i have been on Narco which is vicodin 10's.  i was up to around 12-15 daily for the last 8 months.  I had double surgery March 5th and last friday was my first day back at work so i cant take anymore time off. I have a VERY high paced stressful job and if im not here it only leaves 1 person to do hers and my work.  what is clondine? i have never herd of that.  Im just at aloss right now.  I have 4 kids 9,7,5,3 and i want them to not see me in the condition i am in with the withdrawls.  They told me to taper and gave me 30 vicaprofin 5's which i only have 6 left of now and i am having a hard enough with the withdrawls with lowering my intake i cant imagine how much worse i will feel when these are gone.  

thank you for your comment.  
thank you very much for your comment and your suport. this is my first day on this site and i have seen that there is alot of heart here and i need them as im sure we all do.

thank you again!

des
If you look over in the health pages onthe right side of the page, you will see info about it. Much better than I can explain! Some people swear by it and ohters aren't crazy about it. I personally tapered but most people find that very difficult.

I tapered and its just prolonging the torture, based on you having 26 hours in and only took 1 Pill? Just go C/T get it over, it won't be much worse than already is..  Use this site and just do it... get some help with the kids, you just have a really bad flu.. Good Luck!  If your ready you can do it!  Get your Life Back!    Day 17 Shot Rock
clonidine is a blood pressure medicine, and since our blood pressure goes up when we detox it helps lower it and gets rid of alot of the chills, sweats, ebby jebby feelings i call it....now it is not a miracle cure, nothing really is, but it does help..
I am sorry you have to work and try to go through this...I have seen some go through it and still work, but i don't think i could of...
you can just tell the kids mommy has the flu, because that is what it feels like...
Here is you need..
r2r
thank you so much for the helpful ideas and the support YOU GUYS ALL ROCK!!!!
Welcome...i dont' hav emuch to add to whats' already been said. HOT baths when you get home work wondres...as many as you need a day...LOL

GOod Luck and Keep posting!!

I had 5 pain management clinics turn me down when my GP tried to send me to them telling them he wants to get off pain meds for a while to see how he can better manage the pain. Even the lady doctor at the pain clinic that suggest them to my GP did not want anything to do with getting me off. Said we have done all we can for him. My doctor then tried 3 others. All said no we dont think we can help. Then he said he knew a new doctor that just open a pain management clinic that needed the business, Again NO dont want to see him.. My doctor would not give me anything to wean with unless approved by a pain clinic. That is when I said ok,, Lets just start weaning down and see how it goes.. My point .. They should start shutting these pain clinics as they are helping make a lot of addicts that dont neet to go there..
I ask he nurse at my doctors office // Why are they all turning me down ?? She said beause you are wanting to get off pain meds and they do not want to get involved.. Not even the lady that got me on them in first place.. talk about feeling like I had been let down..
that is exactly what i am dealing with. it is really kicking my *** today. maybe cause its my first REAL day back at work. i dunno Ijust feel really Disgarded by the doctors that had no problem prescribing but want to write you off when your FINALLY pain free.  Thank you for your comment it means alot that people share my feelings and what i am going thru.  how did you ween? the whole 3,2,1 done did not work for me.
It really is like the flu, so telling your kids you have symptoms of flu is not a lie.  I remember even running a temp for a while.  Immodium is good for diarrhea, and I don't know if you are there yet but I also went through a phase where I just felt like the light was too bright, everything was louder, and I felt pain from the tips of my fingers thoughout my entire body.  Doctors like this really suck because it's true they give us these scripts, but when it comes to telling them we have a problem they are so afraid of being busted themselves they turn their backs on us.  This happened to me with my first doctor, but then (and this took months) I got in to a new GP who saw I had a problem and suggested a pain clinic himself.  I am totally so happy with this place, I am seeing a physical therapist, occupational therapist, addictions counselor, and a doctor who prescribes Visteral and Inderal for the anxiety and Suboxone for the pain and w/d.  The first step they took with me though was sending me to rehab for a week to go through detox.  They first weaned me from Darvocet, Percocet, and Xanax then put me on these other meds.  These people are professionals, it shouldn't be up to us anyway to know how to quit since you can never really become "unaddicted" and if you are like me and have a legitimate reason for needing something for pain it is their obligation (not just their job) to help me or you help ourselves by taking this wholistic approach.  You are so brave to be at work and still committed, good luck!

Lisa
Thank you so much, i have noticed Friday is when the headaches started and there still there. It is really just a hopeless feeling when you WANT some relief from the panic attacks and withdraws but they tell you they can give you more pain pills or they cant do anything at all. and to ween off in 3 days you will feel fine on the 4th day. MY  BUTT!! I thought about doing rehab for a week since my work will pay for it but i have 0 vacation and sick time since i just came back from surgery and i think my co-worker would kill me for even thinking it as we are coming up on the busiest time of the month.  Im still contemplating it if this weening doesnt work in the end. thank you again
You have to think of numero uno right now. Yourself. If you really are committed to getting off these pills then phone an addiction centre or doctor and explain the situation. I know you don't want to lose your job but what's more important? I mean, can you be honest with your superior and explain the situation? Sometimes when we let our honesty direct us we find out it was truly the best policy and we find genuine people that want to help. And lets face it, if they take your honesty and NOT help you then these aren't the kind of people you really want to be working for in the first place.

As far as worrying about what your kids will think: Remember, you are trying to come off them. Kids, depending on their age need some form of the truth. There's nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing.

Here's the truth:

1)The withdrawal is long and yes, it's hard. I tell people 3 weeks acute withdrawal. That's pretty standard. This is when you will feel the worst.

2)However, you can get medication to ease it. Clonidine (non-addictive) is good for opiate withdrawal. It will help but you will be in bed. Just follow your body's needs. If you prepare properly you will be more likely to succeed. Get all kinds of easy foods for your stomach and if you can stand drinking ENSURE high calorie drinks then get them and drink them cold when you can.

3)Sleep will be difficult, so if you need something for sleep short term then do so.

4)Have someone come care for the kids if you can. It will be easier for you if you have a place to either bring them or have someone care for them.

5) Be extra good to yourself. Take all the time you need. You can beat the addiction. Remember: prepare, consult someone in addiction medicine, and take your time.

thank you so much for that. i am going to talk to the VP of my company tomorow. my manager wont understand but im sure my VP will.  you are right i have to do what is necesary to get off these evil things for good. I appreciate you taking time to write me please know that it does not fall on deaf ears not one bit.  3 weeks really? wow is that until you feel totally like "you" again?  i havent been able to really sleep in days so thats nothing abnormal for me.  I just know i am ready for the battle and i am in it for the long haul.  thank you SOSOSO much.
Adding a work schedule to an already difficult situation can really be frustrating...I worried about missing work as well....but I went ahead a took the time off...I tapered down until that time got her...i had 5 days off in a row...and made it back to work on day 6...I also used hydros...the problem that worried me (hence my name lol) later on is I had to leave early a few times and had to call in sick again for 2 days several weeks later..seemed like I just kept catching every bug that flew by,...then I started worrying about my job...I decided that no job is worth remaining an addict...my job would have eventually been in trouble if i would have kept using as well...Anyway, I made it and am doing a good job now...for a while I was there but working at a minmum level...in my profession u cant get away with that for long...when i was addicted my patience was getting really short, and u cant get away with that in my profession either....so I guess what I am trying to say is that getting clean is more important than anything else right now..cos if u dont, you could lose it all
I am lucky to say i have job security and the vice president has my back so i can do what is necesary.  I am trying to do it without missing work well see how it goes. Thank you for hte comment I do appreciate it and Im happy to here that you did it and have a good job.

HUGZ
Des