Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
pregnant and addicted to oxycoton

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

pregnant and addicted to oxycoton

I have been abusing oxycoton on and off for three years and i am 20 weeks pregnant and have been doing suboxin most of my pregnancy but have relapsed and done pills on and off throughout my pregnancy i am scared to tell my doctor i need help or the truth because im afraid when the baby is born that there will be drugs in my babys system. My main question is if i stopped now at 20 weeks pregnant and only did suboxin or whatever the doctor told me to do and no more pills i was wondering if there would still be drugs found in my babys system when it was born or if it would still be addicted if i stopped now. And if they would take the baby away from me because that is my biggest fear.
As long as you are completely honest with your OB there shouldnt be an issue with taking the baby away.  You dont want to just quit the pills.  That is very hard on baby and can cause pre term labor.  Your doctor can help you taper off the meds safely.  Do what is right for the baby and you~~~sara
The poster above is right, be completely honest with your doctor. You obviously care very much about your baby so tell the doctor and he'll come up with a safe taper which you must stick to. The only people who get their babies taken away are the ones who say nothing and when thier babies are born and start to withdrawal the staff who are trained to recognize a withdrawling baby get upset because the mother shows very bad judgement in not saying anything and letting her baby suffer and not giving the medical people the heads up in order to respond as soon as the baby is born to start treatment. Withdrawl (withdrawal) in newborns is dangerous if the medical personall cannot respond right away. Respiratory issues etc can occur and they need to be prepared. Be completely honest with your doc and you won't have to worry about the baby being taken away. You cannot just "stop" right now, that would be dangerous for the baby. You just need to tell the doctor so they can come up with a taper that you have to follow.