Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
prescribing fentanyl to a drug addict

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

prescribing fentanyl to a drug addict

is it legal to prescribe fentanyl to a person with a documented history of drug abuse (heroin)?  also, can fentanyl be a replacement therapy for methadone?  
This is just my person opinion, but I can't imagine why anyone would be put on fentanyl pain patches (which is the only way it's available except for Actiq, which is a lillipop with fentanly in it.

I have seen it go the other way around. I was offered to take methadone to kick my addiction to the fentanyl pain patches. Fentanyl should only be used for people with severe chronic pain. I read that on the box my patches came in once. Just type Fentanyl pain patches into your browser and you'll be swamped with everything you want to know about it.

Take Care....LS
I don't think it is against any laws... if the person has severe chronic pain then they prescribe what they see fit.. ( unless you are the nurse that gave LadySundown hers then they are an idiot..)
I have never heard of that being used as a replacement for methodone.. since it is stronger than methodone I don't see why..
if it was illegal we"d all be visiting our drs in the pokey