Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
tapering off painkillers

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

tapering off painkillers

can anybody out there give me some info on tapering off percoset?  i am down to 3and one half a day, but don't know how long to wait before cutting dosage down and how much to cut down.  please, i need advice.
Tags: Addiction
Joanne,I have been eating percocets for the past 10 years and needless to say am horribly addicted.  I decided I can't go on like this anymore, they are not getting me high like they used to  , so I tried to taper down from 20 a day, then 8, then 6, now I find I can get through the whole day if I just eat 2 in the morning.  That is when I find I need them the most.  My "morning percs" with my coffee get me out of bed, I'm real sick if I dont have them.  I hope someday to be able to get through the day with  NO morning percs, but the urge, temptation and availability are always with me.  I can't believe the damage these pills can do, I am an emotional and physical wreck. Re-hab is not an option for me, once they clean me up at re-hab, staying clean will be my problem. I wish I could turn back time, I would never have started eating them. (By the way, I don't have any pain, I just eat them because I LOVE them!)

I don't know where all of you manage to get your pain meds from but all I have been able to muster over 10 years is Ultram. It seemed to work at first but I am already building a tolerance to it. When the pain gets bad I would just like to freak out and tear everything around me to peices, so instead I down three mg of Klonopin. That only calms me down and stops the anxiety. These seizures make the pain worse I just wish someday to go into status and just stop breathing right there.

Being off the booze for 90 days seems like nothing to me when I am still in severe pain and still having seizures. The ole A.A. hooplah is nice but just doesn't help get me through the day.

I see two Neurologists this coming week. Hopefully one or both can do something. I have symtpoms of Lupus but my old psych doctor I dumped had said I have Fibromyalgia. I never had any of this **** when I drank but now I can not stand the feeling of being drunk and clouded in the head.

When I have seizures I go into delirium for a while though, I guess they call it post ictal something or other. I just wish I could find some strong pain killers to get rid of this f---ing pain. That is why I started drinking in the first place and now sure enough after 90 days it is back full blast! I can barely concentrate on my work anymore. I can see where people can easily get addicted. Right now I don't care about addiction only about stopping the pain!!
Hi i have been on hydrocodone 10-650 for about three years and i know exactly what you are going threw.  I tried withdrawl (withdrawal) pills they do not help. For muscle spasms i usually take a hot bath that does help. I am trying myself if you have any tips please help me out e-mail me colleenrose17@yahoo., Hope ya get better
ah, a girl after my own heart ... thanks for admitting the simple truth that you love opiates. Frankly, it makes no sense NOT to love something that gives you so much pleasure, so easily. We in the states are still burdened with this tedious philosophy that says man is put on this earth to suffer, and anything that even briefly lifts the curse of work-pain-death is somehow immoral. Before we can face the truth about the damage drugs do, we have to be honest enough to admit how we feel about the good things that they do. Hypocrisy eventually cripples even the best-intentioned efforts to steer kids away from the drug life. Anyway, bravo, Lynn, for your refreshing candor.

by the way, I found a site with an illuminating piece on opiates, their history and the physical mechanism by which they do what they do. Don't forget to take the links to the second and third pages. Fascinating. Check it out!

http://www.drugtext.org/sub/opiat1.html
go to a thread below called "Oxycontin detox", dated 8-18. look up the "tom to Charlie" posts there. I put pretty much all I've learned about handling narcotic withdrawal over my 27-year "career" in those posts. You're on the right track with the hot baths, though. Hope this helps.
also, some of the "tom to Mariah" posts below have info on how to "schedule" yourself down from narcs without too much unpleasantness. If you have the discipline, it really works! Let us know how you're doing this weekend. No one knows what you're feeling like we do.
sorry to disturb your nap, but do you think you could archive some of the older threads so some of us can post new topics? I mean, really, one new thread a day? This site is as constipated as its posters ... and don't give us that, "we don't have any money" nonsense. The web doesn't charge by the word. Open this thing up or shut it down. That's what the mouse is for!
Tom thank god your around. I' have gotten more help from you. I know these Docs feel liable, but the reason some of us come here is there are no other options. How many times have you read-see a specialist.Sometimes we just need a little info.The immodium was key along with hot baths.Maybe wecan't get better without rehab or AA, NA,RA, but it nice to have someone who hs been there.My wife is SO supportive but has no idea of the pain.I told her to take all the check books, atm card any money, because i will spend it.oh well...thanks
Try to reduce your dosage by about 10% every few days.  If you are taking 3.5, cut down to 3.25 for 3 days, then 3.0 for 3 days, etc., taking them on the schedule you normally do.  This should give your body time to adjust to the reduced dosage and will help minimize withdrawal.  Once you enter withdrawal, drink lots of fluids, take hot baths (for muscle cramps, chills and relaxation) and try to do some walking.  If you have a physician you trust or want to go to an addiction medicine specialist, you can perhaps obtain buprenorphine which is the best medication for minimizing withdrawal.
Tom why are you so anxious for a new thread? peole come here desperate,getting on any how or plac they can.I know you are an opiate addict but do you come here for amusement or to play doctor.
Are you looking for some new addictions or problems to challenge you?I know you are articulate and seem intelligent but you are sounding like you want to play jeopardy or something! I'll take addictions for 200.00. How do you know about the finances of this site. I know DR>s are not around for awhile at times, but I imagine this isnot al they do.I like your posts Tom and have gotten help from some. But what is with this new thread stuff?You obviously spend a lot of time here, maybe you can start your own site...: sorry lady we covered that yesterday, NEXT.
I come to this site because I want to talk with people who understand what it is to be a drug addict in today's world. Addiction can be a lonely experience. I don't feel so alone when I can exchange stories or addiction-related info with someone who has walked the same path as me. Furthermore, I would like to take some of the suffering I've gone through during 27 years of opiate addiction and use it to help other addicts. That way, I don't feel as if this part of my life has been  totally wasted. I am turning 47 next month and I want my addiction experience to have meant something. I feel good when someone tells me I helped them get through withdrawal, or I saved them from using a drug in a dangerous way. I almost always take time to let people know that I am not a doctor, just a fellow addict with sometimes more experience than they have. Why should everyone have to make all the same mistakes I have when I can give them what I honestly believe is a better way to go? And if I'm wrong, I'd like to know about it so I can learn from my visits. I love it when people like Brian get on and share what they know with us.

The reason I ask for more threads is because addiction is a broad subject and people come here for answers to all kinds of questions. More threads simply means more communication. It's not that I'm not interested in the topics in the current threads. But look at the dates of the last additions and you can see that no one is responding to them anymore. I work in the computer industry and I know that archiving old threads that have served their purpose and are no longer attracting messages is a simple matter and involves only a little of a webmaster's time. This site accepting only one new topic per day limits its effectiveness.

I hope that answers your question.

So why do you come here? Tell us your story. I'm sure you've got one. Teach us something. Participate and provide some knowledge and companionship. I look forward to your next post.

Hey Tom, Chad here...understand one thing..I belive that one of the reasons that I am trying to stay clean is because of the advice that you gave my girlfriend and I. Tom, you were VERY helpful! That much is true. I just posted on a thread down below, Let me know what you think. Anyway, I am sure that I speak for alot of us in the fact that you have helped many of us both detox and recover from this stuff. I just wish I would have read your posts before I withdrew cold turkey! There was no hot baths or any of that stuff for me. Just layin' in bed twitchin' like a (can't think of a good analigy) but you get the point! Chad
I never did drugs etc... but was perscribed 12 tablets of them. anyhow interesting drug. very fast acting about 1 hour before the take effect. now I realize how people get hooked on this. anyhow I noticed like a nice mellowing effect and a slowdown in breathing was noticed, Im still able to function though mentally such as make decisions etc.. but at a slower rate naturally (Im typing this letter). anyhow I do relize this is a artifical feeling and do know if I take this drug again all it will do is create this "high" ie mellow, buzz etc.. it is a interesting effect. but I do know it has negative implications and will end in a addiction so I dumped the pills. so thats my first and last experience with this drug. what kept me from being an addict and I think this is what has kept me from doing drugs (did smoke some pot once) is I know there is a terrible price to pay and this feeling (although its a good feeling) its a short term thing with a long term price. anyhow I thing reality is better. anyhow just bored and stoned on percocet for now. back to reality tomorrow.
thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. I think "About Tom" asked valid questions so I was happy to respond. I can't always say what draws me to this site, and I suppose someone could deduce a variety of motives from the content of my posts. I was a little sarcastic with the webmaster, but what can I say? It was late, and, yeah, I was high.
Anyway, thanks. I'm going to read your other post now. Good to hear from you. Give my best to your girlfriend.
If you haven't "fallen in love" with the stuff yet, maybe you're smart to get out of the relationship before it becomes permanent. I'm curious, though, what brought you to this site?
I can not do this! I've tried probably 20 times to get off the hydracodone...and I can't! I keep going back! Any advice? Don't want to talk to my doctor cause I'm afraid he'll cut me off and I'm afraid to be without these wonderful pills. For some reason i just don't think NA would work for me.....what else is there I can do?
I was addicted to hydrocodone for about ten years. When I was deep into it, the last thing I could do was think clearly, rationally or objectively about anything. I was either scoring and getting high as fast as I could, or I was sliding into withdrawal and looking for the bathroom. Before you can really decide about long-term recovery, you've got to get the detox accomplished. That is as much as you can afford to think about right now. Hydrocodone is one of the tougher drugs to get on top of, and few can do it without getting skilled help. There are more treatment options than just NA, but even if you had all of them explained to you now, in your current state, none of them would seem any good. Right now, I'd bet that nothing sounds like it makes any sense.
As someone who has been there, my suggestion to you would be to just think about detoxing. Don't try to solve the whole thing now. You can't. Nobody can in your present state. Recovery from drug addiction is a complicated journey. The most you can expect of yourself is to see your way to the first bend in the road. Think about just getting some professional medical help to see you through detox. Your options, the whole world for that matter, will look very different when you've got all the toxins out of your body and your mind is clear. Just work on getting to the front door of the detox unit. The rest of the answers will come when you're ready to hear them. Good luck.
I found a very helpful site www.oxycontinNightmare.homestead.com
I have chronic pain from three degenerating disks in my lower back. I have had surgery (in 1993) but have opted not to have any more. I lead a normal life that includes several miles of jogging per day. I "successfully" control my pain with plain propoxyphene hydrochloride combined with OTC enteric aspirin. However, in order to get effective relief, I have to take three darvon 65's at a time, usually about 4 hours apart, and average between 12 to 15 Darvon a day. Naturally, I'm concerned about the toll that much propoxyphene is taking on my liver. Apart from back pain, I feel fine. Apart from the quantity of propoxyphene I'm taking, the darvon/enteric aspirin combo controls my pain surprisingly well. In terms of the performance of my medication, I have no complaints.

Every two months or so, my doctor switches me to Vicodin for a few weeks, in the hope that this will keep my tolerance to Darvon from increasing. For two years now, this has actually worked. My Darvon (and Vicodin) dosages have stayed the same.

When I use Vicodin, I take two 5 mg tablets, 4 times a day. The Vicodin is more potent, to be sure, but it wears off quickly, hours before I can or should take another dose, producing a rollercoaster effect of 2 hrs relief/2 hours of pain
Just read the perc experiment and I have a question. I hope this does not sound moronic because its the truth. When I discovered the euphoria that opiates provide I was in my early twenties. The were prescried for having my wisdom teeth removed. There was 20 vicodin and when the were gone that was it. It wasn't until 10 years later that I had the oportunity to have some more prescribed that my interest really peaked. I had taken some, in between those years by friends but, again, no big deal. As I started taking them on a regular basis, I read the warnings of addiction but didn't really know what that meant. I did not have the fear of addiction because I had no idea what that meant! I am 37 with a degree and worked in the mental health field since completing college. Did anyone else not know about addiction until it was too late?
Ughh, yea, like no one ever told me.,...bastards!
I'm going to give you my honest opinion, for whatever it's worth.  I don't have your medical history or the benefit of an examination; however, from your description of jogging, which is a particularly hard activity on the back, you fortunately do not appear to have the type of pain warranting oxycontin.  Furthermore, with your history of addiction, oxycontin would likely be very difficult if not impossible for you to take without abusing the drug, becoming addicted and experiencing numerous periods of withdrawal.  There are many non-surgical options for your condition, many of which may be more effective than surgery.
I found the webpage because I was curious to see what percocet consists of, someone asked if I know it is addictive, I figure all these pharms. are addictive, common sense in my book if its a pill and makes you feel real good. its addictive somehow. anyhow its not something I will miss. but Im not of the "addictive personality" so I guess thats the difference. how long does it take before someone gets addicted to that. I figure it can be one day or one week so for someone to be addicted to it they must be real unhappy with thier life to begin with and since the drug "percocet etc.." makes the feel good they take it knowing it will cause addiction in the long run but dont care because the life the person is living is not great and the addiction risk is not enough to weigh against the risks. anyhow Im writing an essay so the experiment was interesting I wrote down all the effects on a half hour basis. one thing for sure I cant believe the prescribe this drug. I figure there are better alternatives out there because this drugs gets you high more than anything else. Pot pales to percocet and I cant believe pot is illegal.
damn, I knew you'd say that. You are, of course, correct. I keep looking for a loophole in the law of cause and effect. Ah, well ...

Thanks, Brian, have a good evening.
(I posted this below but I didn't know if you saw it or not since no reply.)

Hey Chad, I have been following this discussion thread for the last few days. I am a fellow Philadelphian. The reason I am responding is to encourage you to follow your idea of training in the IT industry. I am a mid-level manager of an IS department in a major company in Philadelphia. I can tell you that it is a great career to get into if you are really interested. The money is good and it is very exciting work.

I guess I am also writing to say that you can make it...you can be successful even after this problem. I was in your place a few years ago. I still struggle. Anyway I finished my college degree from a reputable university and am now making a 6 digit income. If I can do it anyone can do it.

Although I didn't go there, I hear Temple University has a great (non-credit if you aren't interested in college) IT training problem with offices in Philly and Fort Washington and other places. And they are relatively inexpensive. They may even have need-based scholarships. There are other great training programs in the area too.

Good luck

A friend in Philly
Actually Tom I like the idea of the one thread thingie.  For one thing people get alot of answers to their posts and by just manipulating one finger you get alot of reading.  This really comes in handy if your in withdrawal or waiting for your next scripts.  Just a thought.
No, I didn't see your reply. I am going to school with my girlfriend in a few weeks (assumiming the loan goes through) for A+ and NET+ then we will move on to MCSE. We have to start somewhere. We are doing much better. We now wake up real eairly and get alot of things done. I'll tell you something, the worst part about drugs is the fact that you know you can take an ordinary situation (like cleaning out your garage) and turn it into a hell of a good time. Being straight doesn't allow this. The trade off is a much better outlook on anything I do. I mean, I have spent the last 10 years just letting time go by. Now that I am straight I have to pick up where I left off. Alot of my friends are driving nice cars with five or six years of a carear already under their belt. That hurts but I believe that when I do finially pass the tests and land a good job, I will be that much more proud of myself. Thanks man, talk soon.CHAD
j, you have given me a new perspective on the PLUBB (Pathetically Limited Uni-thread Bulletin Board). Perhaps Microsoft should extend Windows' Accessibility Options to include withdrawal as a physical handicap. Maybe they can offer a mouse with a little spring-loaded OxyContin catapult, so you can get a load on without missing anything ... ok, I give up. But I think the webmaster is taking AA's One Day at a Time too far.

Chad, you're still alive, again ... you've discovered one of the many curses of sobriety: Things that are supposed to suck actually do! The MCSE thing sounds great -- any certification related to Microsoft and NT certainly can't hurt. Maybe A Friend in Philly will stay in touch ... a little training and a lot of connections can take you far. I am encouraged that you talked about computer training a while ago and you're actually following through on it. Coming off an oxy habit, you following through on your career plans is huge. Follow-through is usually one of the first things you lose when you use. Finishing what you start would be a great thing to become addicted to. Chad, you're now officially The Man. Bravo!
This site will be extremely helpful www.oxycontinNightmare.homestead.com
Tom is right...the MCSE path is a great place to start.  A lot of people (including me) use it to get a good foundation and then specialize in something later.  

Also, connections are KEY in this industry.  Start becoming friends with anyone who has anything to do with the technical side of computers.  Let them mentor and guide you in the path you want to go.

Anyway, like Tom said--let this become your new addiction.  Getting really good at something can be intoxicating.  It is a great feeling when people come to YOU for advice.  Also, learning new things is such a rush.

Best of luck...you CAN do it!

A friend in Philly
Tom my post wasn't meant to put you down. You have been the most helpful person here to be honest.It just seemed odd, like you were sitting waiting for a different addiction dilemma to pp up for you to discuss rationally. When I first came here, I crawled on to this post, didn't know where or how to post...didn't give a damn, just wanted HELP!!! I didn't want to access archives. But Now I see what you mean...It's hard getting a new question on, for whatever reason, and forever to get an answer. I feel like I know some of you. I thought youwere tired of people coming on talking about same thing, early withdrawls. Now I see your problem is wit the site management and I agree. My apologies.I didn't have any oxys that day either does that explain it..ha! how did Tom his holiness of opiates avoid oxys...man that's a question of the ages. This is THE opiate. The hotbaths are a joke for this one pal...maybe a hotplate to the face to take your mind off it..bad humor..well Tom my friend, just wanted to clear up my post...I'm sure I didn't succeed...but we your people thank you...sincerely. I feel honord to be counciled by an opiate addict of your status...this is not sarcastic Tom..I know you have a sense of humor.You have made me chuckle on day 3 of an oxy withdrawl (withdrawal)...that's an oxymoron in itself.Goodnight to my dysfunctional family out there. Thank you all !!!!
Not to get personal there buddy but i'm curious. Now that you are clean is the ol libido coming back.Do you have a turtle or a hanger dude.That's what sucks about opiates.Limpo dicktamitis.Any action going on in the crib. Need some encouragement.I'm still dreaming of the return of Mr.Hardon.Good luck bud, have a laugh, stick it in bro...
thanks for the advice brian.  ineeded numbers and percentages and details and you gave me what i needed.  i am down to 2 perks a day tken at 4 hr. intervals.  i am doing it for a week and then cutting down to 1 1/2 a day.  i know this is a 25% decrease and i amy experience some withdrawl (withdrawal), but i'm hoping it will be manageable.  what do  you think?  i love this forum.  i'm not alone.  thank you.
no offense taken, my friend. Actually, you asked some good questions that made me think. How did I miss out on the oxy's? For starters, I don't know anyone with street connections, plus I never quite had the physical "proof" to persuade an MD to part with the triplicate stuff, except for once in a blue moon. That Schedule II thing is a real threshold with the docs because of the good ole DEA getting a copy of every triplicate they write. That would freak me out, too! Every time they write one, their medical diploma probably passes before their eyes. Considering what it takes to become an MD, I wouldn't want to risk it, either.
Did you go to that "oxynightmare" web site? What's up with those guys? They even have a "turn your MD in" page. What a low thing to do, rat on the guy who, out of compassion for your pain, gave you what you wanted. When I was busted for rx forgery years ago, I could have walked if I'd turned rat on my doctors -- all of whom where perfectly legitimate MD's (I was the crook!). Strange web site, anyway, very "shrill" in tone. Take care. Good to hear from you.
Hello everyone. I just found your website because i was intentionally looking for websites on Hydracodone/Vicadin/Opiate
addiction. I am someone who found the "love" after a car accident in 98'resulted in a prescription to Vicadin. I never new Opiates could feel so Goooood. I re-upped as many times as I dared. Who needs love when things feel so right! I wasn't able to get a steady supply until my son went into the hospital for orthroscopic surgery on his knee. They sent him home with a bottle for possible post-operative pain. I still don't know what is more amazing/shocking, him not asking for any or me eating those pills until they were all gone. There were thirty. I took one a day until they were finished. I told him some bullshit that
they had fallen in the sink. Even in that small dose they just make me float. I feel like a pat of melted butter. Warm, safe,
free from my anxieties. They make me feel right. I would probably take one now if I had it. This weekend I attempted to recreate that feeling by buying a twenty dollar bag of heroin on the street.I have never done that. It was real but I cringe at the risks of buying dope so easily cut with who knows what. I "wish"
I could get a script so i wouldn't have to think about going to such extremes.I don't like/really use heroin. I prefer something more "safely" pharmacutical. Please don't rip on me too bad. This
life just feels so hard. Too hard, I'm afraid. Sometimes it
seems like the lesser of two evils. Seeming suicidal depression
being the second. I'm just reaching out. Peace,Jon (jon_bd***@****)
free from my anxieties. They make me feel right. I would probably take one now if I had it. This weekend I attempted to recreate that feeling by buying a twenty dollar bag of chiva on the street.I have never done that. It was real but I cringe at the risks of buying dope so easily cut with who knows what. I "wish"
I could get a script so i wouldn't have to think about going to such extremes.I don't like/really use chiva I prefer something more "safely" pharmacutical. Please don't rip on me too bad. This
Hello all.  I had a bout a 2 week stint with Percocet which I pilfered from my grandfather's medicine cabinet after he was taken to a retirement home with terminal cancer.  The bottle does not give a dosage, but the tables read Endo 602 (602 mgs?).  I took a half of one of these while I cleaned out my grandfather's belongings and I did notice that it made the experience significantly more interesting.  I got it in my head that it would be meaningful to re-stage the house for the Realtors with all of his personal belongings.  In any case, a couple of days later I took a whole pill and got somewhat sick.

I left them alone for a week or so until I went to Vegas for my girlfriends birthday.  I am not a hardy traveler, and I have a history of anxiety.  Normally I bring Lorazepam with me wherever I go just in case.  I started with one half a Percocet a day and by the end of the trip I was up to two halves a day - One in the daytime and one at night.

When we got back home 4 days later I found myself fairly depressed.  I noticed that I was very irritable and somewhat anxious.  I took a half and went for a bike ride a couple of days ago and haven't touched it since.  I have been quite depressed, which is fine, nothing new, but my anxiety seems to be right next door at all times and ready to blow up into a panic attack.  Bad dreams.  Careless, crude, and insensitive with my girlfriend  

These feelings are strongly linked to my predisposition for anxiety - somehow the Percocet has  worked its way into my system and become an added driver.

Im sure that my addiction is nowhere near as painful as many of these posters.  I'm simply looking for the best way to get though his period.  Ive already been off for 48 hours.  Should I go back on to taper?  I have tried hard not to get addicted to Lorazepam and so wont take it more than every other day, but can this be a good transitional drug?

I can see the danger that this drug poses, especially with so much of it on hand.  I feel that I am the loving person I am supposed to be when I am on this drug.  I feel eloquent, calm of course, but more, I feel contained, a warmth and support that I cannot offer myself and my family cannot offer me.  I'm sorry to all of you who have gone even further down this road than I.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks.

YOu did not take it enough to need to taper off... The pills slightly alter the brain chemisty... especially the "feel good" part... You will be fine in a few days...
However based on what you are saying.. Have you ever been on a anti depressant??  I would consider a natural option like 5HTP  or L-tyrosine...
Get rid of the rest of the pills... dont start down this road,,, we do not want to see you back here in a few months because you couldn't stop...
my family has been destroyed from presciption drugs! iwas agreat wife&mother ilived for my kids 1stmyhusband2nd me last! hewas a RN   put our kids1st me2nd him last!i started getting sick from ovarian,pelvic,uterous cysts&fibroids.had 8surgeries 2ayear from98 thruogh 2006.he played everysportwith our2 boyscoached em  all the time.got hurt without me knowing took my percocet,vicoden,oxy& morphine!with out me knowing.Stole scripts fromwhatever hospital,nuresinghome homehealthcare family homes he worked4. gotaddicted.started goin2 doc4 painpills.doc tapered him off after4 years so he wouldnt get that habbit.heneeded.then wrote his own scripts at every dr. visit i had,kids&his dr visits 2! he lost his RNlic got caught stealing meds from his patiens.went2jail got finedpaid $$$$4,000courtfees&put on probation.then1 month left2 b done with probation,startedfakeN  like he was a DR.writting manyprescriptions again.hes now in prison! im raising our2boys @15#17 yrs.old& our 9yrold daughter.I`m more sicknowith3lumps on my rightbreast myDr.says it needs2 b tested4 cancer,igotta have surgery2remove thecysts/lumps that camebackon my ovaries,haveaheartproblem i takeheart meds4,along withasthma&astomachulcer.... the boys arenolonger respecting me as weraised em2&theoldest ishangN with  gangmembers that have guns,sell drugs&rob withguns maybe Nagang.the15yr.got a15yr.oldgirl pregnant my.Our daughter needs eye surgey&her vision will never improve even after surgery.my husband wont be here 4anysurgeries nor2help raise  ourboys 2guideEM&protectEM! prescription drugs are just as bad as streetdrugs.Thier should be alaw against DR.whom give patients narcoticdrugs 4 to long& turn EM into drugaddicts! Docs are drug dealers 4 the pharmaccompanies. take benadryl,ativan,,antibiotics,vitamins 6 small meals no redmeat lots of fish,vegies,juices,fruits&lots of fiber& pray get close2GOD live everyday like its your last enjoy&honor the lifeGODgave you!
dd69,

This post started some 8 years ago. It is old and will get pushed to archives. You need to go to the top of this page and hit the post a question button, and create your own post. Hope to see you out there.
Im addicte to percs I need A good taper  Dose Anyone have any advice Itake 20 Mg  3 to4 Times a day  Idetoxed once bfore And then started again Its Been 7 months Pease someone help me i hate this evil grip its got me in
I've been doing almost every painkiller known to man.oxi,percs,vics and hydrochloride also known as ultram my first love.After being discharged from the service with a 3 mo refill on ultram 50 mg i built a tolerance to them.A friend of mine noticed,and gave me this little pill with 40 on it so i took it, and god bless America it was kick *** no pain no nothing!! so the next day i went back and got one that had an 80 on it Wow!santas elves are working overtime(Christmas everyday)then one day my wife asked me what was wrong.I didn't think it was bad so i told her,have you ever seen a Tasmanian devil?Well i didn't know it was illegal i said.then she asked me how long on been on them and how much do i take.Well everyone i should be dead,for 4 years on at least 3 8o's of Oxycontin a day so she took me to see a doctor and he wanted me in treatment asap!!so i went,Mind you i have never been without,and this **** sucked night sweats,diarrhea,shakes,insomnia,racing thoughts and cravings.(twelve days) of this reaping hellish introspective nightmare.After i left the hospital they put me on suboxone.I stayed on it for a year got off of it and more withdrawals!my wife was there through the toughest times.i was clean for a month until on a random occurrence i saw the guy i got my first oxi from.and before i could say no he gave me 20 40s.I stared at them for three days until i got in a fight with my wife and did two of them through a straw,and the devils grip had me again .but this time i was to ashamed to tell her cause i was doing so damn good!After about a week of doing them in secret my daughter came up to me and told me she was proud of me and she was glad i was her daddy.I gave her a hug and cried till i couldn't any more and told her thank you for being there and i loves you very much.well guys and gals god has a funny way of telling you he's there even if he or she  doesn't talk back.i don't do oxi anymore or anything for that matter.the love of a child is a wonderful thing and a blessing.the physical addiction is nothing compared to the love of a child.Some of you are going through the same and some may even be worse,but honestly from my heart to All ,you know whats important in your heart.and if you ever need someone to talk to my E-mail address is ***@****.  

sincerely lee h johnson recovering addict
What is the Perc Experiment? Where can i find it? My husband and myself are addicted, and we are wanting to get off them. We need to know what our chances are and what we will be facing as far as withdrawls?
Old post...posting a new question will help u get more answers to ur needs...cool thing tho is IBKLEEN is on ur psot...she no longer posts but she was a forum leader when she did post...read her posts..listen and absorb...she is a very good down to earth poster....thinking she must be an earth sign in the zodiac  LOL
I started taking Vicoprofen in 2004. By 2007 I was taking 10-15 per day, then I used tramadol 7-8 times a day when i ran out of vicoprofen.  I got my scripts the next month and started the cycle all over again.  
By 8-2007  i was so ashamed of my life i saw a doctor who helped me with Suboxone.  January I quite Suboxone, and I did have withdrawals, sleeplessness, anxiety, diarrhea, anxiety, SEVERE depression, etc.  Probably 6-7 days later it started to get better.  I slept 2-3  hours for a couple of nights, then 4-5 for a couple of nights.  My depression was getting a little better each day, though I didn;t notice it, I would tell my self I made it another a day, and the sadness will be a little better.  From mid February until November of 2007, I stayed clean.  I have 5 herniated discs in my back (thats why i started pain management on 2003) but eventially my pain stopped with Physical Therapy.  Back to my sober days, I never felt the same though.  The drugs were out of my system and I didn't even think about them.  I always felt tired and fatigued throughout the day.  I am 32 years old and I felt like I was 70 years old.  I had a minor injury  and i am back on vicoprofen.  I want to stop because i have been on it for 2 months but i am afraid of what i went through to get off.  My doc has switched me to darvocet and want to wean my self off.  Can anyone recommend how to wean off so I dont go into withdrawals again.  I didnt wean off suboxone correctly so I went through it pretty severe.  Please help!!! what should I do
Denise, you may want to start a new thread since this one is several years old and could easily be missed by those that might be able to help!

-Vic
I had a hysterectomy about 2 and a half weeks ago.  I was taking 5/325 perks for fun for a week before.  Then my boyfriend got  10/325 so I took about ten of those spread out about a week.   So, I was taking percs before my surgery.  Then came the surgery.  My Doc gave me 10/325 about 30 of them.  then He gave me 30 more.  My pain had gone away but I was taking them because I liked the way they made me feel.  I took one of my last 10/325 on sunday night about 7 oclock.  I had one left, I figured i better save one.  Monday was the worst day of my life.  I figured I had become addicted to these things.  I was so upset that I let myself get this way.   I called the doc that night , of course the office was closed, so I asked the doc to call me.  He told me to take the last 10, but split it in half.  I was to take one that night and one in the morning.  Thats what I did.  That night I flipped around in bed like a fish out of water.  Now a friend gave me 5 5/325.  I split that one in half and took a lorazapan and actually slept without flipping around.   I'm feeling a little shakey (shaky) right now, but my question is should I take a 2.5 this morning and cut that in half for tonight before bed??  How many days should I take 2.5 before cutting that in half?  When this is over I will never take another pain pill ever again!!   Will  Someone let me know the correct way to wein?
was reading a post that someone asked if we knew they were addictive... the answer yes and so does the doctors. yet when you have chronic pain...you take them for the pain not the high! then there comes a times after 1, 2, 3...years you get tired of just taking pills. and that is where i am - i guess i am deciding i would rather just live in pain, I know the Lord will help.  i am going to wean down, and going to have the Thomas recipe help me.  if anyone has any idea's how i should wean... would love to hear them.
i take 10mg of Percocet and in between 7.5 vic. ---3 to 4 times a day, sometimes depending on the pain i will mix but still not taking any more than 3 or 4 a day.  i  have ultram but usually do not take, doesn’t help. also doc just prescribed something for nerve pain.  
thank you for all the info i have read
I'm also going through a similar battle.  I'm lucky in the respect that I was able to quit smoking after 10 years or so.  I may be just a mental thing for me but I feel in my brain I have the power to quit anything if I can quit that.  
That said I don't remember it giving me the physical affects like Oxy 15mg 6 X day does.  Ouch....  I have found that doing a tapper really worked for me.  It's tough don't fool yourself but you can do it!!!!  I cut from 6 to 5 for 2 days, dropped to 4 and stayed there for 3 days, then I went to using a perc 10/325 and mixed the oxy 15mg by breaking it in half but being careful not to make a higher does than using 3 1/2 of my original pills oxy15's.  I actually had to keep working and I'm IT so it is tough to sit at the computer and Craaaawwlllllll.....   By Friday I was ready to take some more pain and knock this crap out....   I went to 2 1/2 of the 325's, and I think the next day went to just to of the 10/325's.  Oh yea and then I added Excedrine.   Careful you don't want to take to much of this either due to liver issues.  It also has 65 mg of caffine so take early for your morning perc... it helps a little.  I went through another week at work this way...sucked a little but was doable for sure.  I knew the next weekend was going to be it....scared for sure because I thought I might be in trouble at work..... I was so I called in for Monday and Tuesday.....in process of forclosure too so wow stress is maxin............   God will make things work!!!  Give it up to him....  you can't controll all of it....
So Wed went back and wow it was not as bad as I thought.  I actually had some good stuff happen and I felt more alive... hair kind of stood up on neck (good thing not the creepy feeling) and got pumped up.  okay now it's been 6 days and nothing other than Excedrine and ibuprofin.  Don't forget when you get all the aches and pains to use ibuprofin with excedrine.  Not large amounts.  1 excedrine couple times a day and 3 ibuprofine 2 to 3 times a day as long as your liver can take this.  If you have other problems for sure get the doc involved.   Just letting everyone know my experience.  I've been on these things for over 10 years now and I'm so over it.  There is more to life.
Cheers and good luck!!!!!!  I will keep watching this post
I'm still a teenager and I found about pain killers my senior year in high school I use to take them from my dad.. I stopped cause they found out I was taking them. I didn't feel the addiction then but I got back on them an it's horrible I have taking everything thing from vicoden percs tramadol to oxy I'm at a bad stage I'm taking up to an average 6 tamadol or 3 in a half percocet a  day does anyone have a good way to get off these pills
David,

There is lots of  great help and advice that the folk on the list can give, but you'd be much better to ask this as a new question to the forum. This thread is years old and your question is at the very bottom of hundreds of replies so not many people will see it.

Meantime, we need to know how long you've been taking the pills for this time, exactly what, and how much you take each day. Do you always take pills every day?

It would also be helpful to know what made you come to the decision that now is the time to stop, and let us know how serious you are about wanting to stop.

Thanks.
David,

I'll start off here anyway, to give you time to start a new thread.

When you decide it's time to come off the pills, you will suffer from a withdrawal syndrome. That's like a really bad dose of flu so your parents are going to notice. Do you feel able to tell them so they can support you through this.

You could also think about going to your doctor and asking him/her for help with writing up a tapering plan. Again your parents would probably need to know.

If you decide to go cold turkey, you should plan in advance because there are things you can get to ease the withdrawals:-

1.) A good vitamin supplement.
2.) Tonic water to ease leg cramps and also some fresh orange juice.
3.) Simple pain killers like paracetamol and ibuprofen
4.) Travel sickness tablets to ease nausea
5.) Imodium (immodium) capsules to stop diarrhoea
6.) 5HTP, a natural amino acid to help with the withdrawals and calm you down.
7.) Valerian tincture to help you sleep.

The last two can be bought at any good healthfood shop or online.

Take a hot bath every day and again when you get the sweats.

You should lay in a good stock of DVD's to distract yourself with, and lying down listening to music helps too.

You'll need to get out for a walk in the fresh air at least once a day.

Can you handle all that. Do you have a brother, sister, partner or close friend who can support you through all this?

You can expect the worst of the withdrawals to be over by day 3, but you'll still feel crappy up to day 10.

I'm not sugar-coating this for you. You need to know to suss out whether you have the determination to succeed.

Think it all over and we'll be waiting for your questions and comments. There is plenty of help, advice and support for you here on the online community.

Take care

i just wanted to share my story. I have abused percocet now for nearly 4 years. When i realised i had a problem a friend told me about suboxin. I bought them off the street and they kept me good and solid for about a year. Now i want to stop taking anything and i want my life back. I had no idea how addictive subs are and man the last 6 days have been brutal. I own a business have a wife, and 2 kids and all i want is to be there for them. with a clear mind and body. Well, it's day 6 and it still sux but it is getting better. I have been reading posts on this site all week and I want to tell everyone here thank you. without the advise and nameless support i dont think i could have made 6 days. I'm almost there and when i get there another pill will never touch my lips again. Thank you to you all you have been like my family on this site. I know it sux guys and if your hurtin now believe me it gets better.
The health pages are full of great info

good luck to u
THE BEST WAY TO BEAT A HABIT IS IFMYOU ARE ON PERCOCET LIKE OXYCODONE START AND SWITCH UP TO A HYDROCODONE ITS A DIFFERERNT KIND OF PAIN MED DO THAT FOR TEN DAYS AND YOU SHOULD BE PRETTY GOOD. IT HELPED ME ALOT AND I THINK IT WILL HELP OTHERS IT WILL TAKE THE EDGE OFFAND STILL KINDA HELP WITH THE PAIN
I feel the same way Lynn, your story stood out to me. my problem is i am taking 10 vicodin 10's a day. I am suppose to take no more than 5 a day. I want to do this I just dont know how to. anytime something happens i run to the pills to numb my feelings. How were you able to ween yourself down to such a low amount? I really need help and advice but treatment is not an option!
Hello, I am a 39 year old male and I need some help with my addiction to pain killers.  It started off with a visit to the doctor for a herniated disk and from then on it has grown out of control.  I am currently taking about 20 pills of hydorcodone 10 mgs and I want to QUIT.  I went without them for a day and a half and he side affects were killing me.  What can I do to stop the addiction and get back to the life I had before them?  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you may have.  PLEASE HELP!!  I don't know what else to do.  
2000, long time ago. I was and still am an addict. For fifteen years now I get my scripts and go off for two weeks. The next two suck. Like today, number two with nothing. For about three years I got into coke and meth. Jail got me off that ****. And a job that tests me. You can't test me fo perscriptions that I have though. I can't stop shaking, sweating, and ********. Yes really, really, hot showers help, not for ever though. O my God this ***** why can't I quit. By the time I feel good again here comes my new scripts. O well.
I couldn't have said it better myself! It seems like I could have wrote the post you did. I'm so sick of this crap. Worrying everyday about running out. I'd love to be down to 2 a day. How do you feel the rest of the day if you don't take any until the next morning?
what is Ultram? So you're saying they are highly addicting? I have pain also. I can't stand living in pain everyday if I don't have my pain medicine from the doctor. But they are highly addictive and I always want more. 40mg per day isn't a lot.
Iv never felt so aone on this my wife dont get it  I try to stop slow down  then when I think I got this im back were I started   the morning cup of coffy is how I fell about them dont want to go no were until I get a few in me , on the pluse side I give my bottle to my wife so I dont abuse them so bad  but then I find myself looking for the bottle and where she might hid them, then I'm back to where I started she does not understand that is ruining my marriage
Hello Brian, My name is Rob,Im 47 and iv been taking 4 to 6 narco 10/325s for about one year and before that I was taking lorcet 10/650s for about 12 years. My question is can you taper off without any withdrawal at all ? because I want to try it but am pretty scared.And if I have withdrawal how long will I have to go through it and also what kind of things happen with the withdrawal? I have went without 1 only one time in a 24 hour period. Thank you for any info and GOD bless.