weight loss on methadone
I have been on methadone for little over a year and have gained 40 lbs.  I exercise 3 5 days a week for at least a hour a day and still no weight loss.  I try to eat healthy, but still i gain weight.  Is there any way to help me lose this excess weight?  Even my husband who is also on methadone is 10 lbs over weight.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Hi and that's the nature of the beast. Most people gain weight on Methadone but I never did. Then I got off of it 5 years ago and quit smoking and then gained a little. Methadone slows down digestion and make the GI trac sluggish and isn't a drug that's conducive to muscle tone. You could try to exercize more and eat less cabs and fats or go way down on dose or get off, which you may not want to hear. I'm always there for the methadone addict weather they want to get off or just live better on methadone.
I to am on methadone and have been for 2 1/2 yrs at 95mg. Since the start of it I have gained 40lbs also kinda funny same amount. It has also made me stop having period not had one over yr and T-4 Level are low they could have something to do with your weight also your T-4 have you had checked?
What is T-4? i have never heard of that what is it. so have you heard about any ways or diets to help me lose this weight?
T4 is your thyroid gland function test. the thyroid gland controls metabolism.

my hubby gained heaps of weight on methadone too. he started  losing some when he began tapering. he tried dieting but nothing really worked. it seems to be a common problem with methadone.