Addiction Expert Forum
methadone

Questions in the Addiction forum are answered by a medical expert.

methadone

I hope i can get a answer as quick as poss. im decreasing off my methadone i do go to a clinic since aug. 22 2012 i was at 80gs my highest point. i have been decreaseing 5mgs a week im now at 19mgs this tues. i will be at 14 mgs for some reason at 19 mgs, i did have some wd but last three days ive been fine, i have to be done 3rd week in april, due to money prob. so i have no choice but to go down 5mgs a week as i have been doing. My question is the last week 3rd i will be at 4mgs for that week, should i quit at 4mgs or go a week at 4mgs then quit? would it really matter, the way im going do you see any prob. ive been sick on and off i think it was anxiety, will i go in full blown wd when decreasing, the way im going and when i quit? thank you please get back ASAP
Dear ponco,

I have been working with opiate dependency patients for over 15 years and we actually detox the highest levels of Methadone in the country. The best way I have seen patient coming off the Methadone when they get to the teens,  is by one milligram a week. And when you reach the last five  to ten  milligrams, then I would do one milligram  every 2 weeks. I know is hard to dose this way, but the slower you allow your body to adapt when you get to small amount , the easier it will be.
All the best.
Well it must be a miracle im at 14mgs this tues i will be at 9mgs for a week and then 4mgs im quitting im not sick i feel great, this stuff isnt affecting me as i thought it would. i kept a possitive attitude i hated takeing methadone from the start, i was at 80mgs i tapper 5mgs a week till 4mgs and stop, i should be fine, i dont think i will get sick when i stop i stayed on vitimans has a lot to getting off this and a good attitude helps and my bp meds are helping beta blockers my bp the highest its been was 160\ 95 and didnt stay there, i have always run a little higher then norm 135\ 74 or 147]83 not bad for me thank you john
I was on 5 mgs for a year and believe me der is a bad sickness maybe not as bad as 60 mgs jst be carefull