cortisol stress test?
I'm going to go in and have a cortisol stress test done in the morning. They test my levels and then inject me with something then test it again. Has anyone done this test and does it show accurately for AF? Thanks.
   How accurate it is may depend on the cause of your adrenal fatigue. My son had this test done, but then he was put on thyroid med. because his TSH was extremely low. I guess they interpreted the adrenal stress test as a good adrenal response, but after one week on thyroxine, my son suddenly fainted (he hit his head on the kitchen counter on his way to the floor), then began shaking and vomiting. He was immediately put on hydrocortisone, for adrenal insufficiency.
If they read his cortisol stress test correctly, I don't know how they could make the mistake of not getting him on adrenal support med. BEFORE putting him on thyroxine.

So I'm not sure how accurate the test is. I believe there are two different standard dosages for this test. One is thought to be more accurate than the other by some doctors. When you have the test done, find out what dose you are receiving, Ask them to explain everything they can about the test. It's hard to ask the right questions when you don't know what questions to ask!
I was just wondering about your comment above on your son's thyroid tests. You said that your son tested "low" on the TSH but was put on thyroxine.

A low TSH test would indicate hyperthyroidism and administering thyroxine would only make the hyperthyroidism worse - maybe even throwing him into a thyroid storm. The symptoms you say he experienced sound compatable with that thought.

It sounds also from the posts I read from you that your son suffered needlessly - but I am wondering how old he is and how did you start this journey on getting him tested for hormonal imbalances?
Are you asking about the ACTH stim testing?
Hey, I was taking this test the same time as you.

An don't expect a lot of info from the nurses, they may have only seen this test a handful of times, if at all. I had to wait 40 minutes just so they could track the hormones down.

they inject you with ACTH. Draw blood at a half hour, then an hour.

it will show if you have an adrenal insufficiency, or Addisons. If your cortisol skyrockets at three times the norm, then it is Cushings.

It is the best diagnostic test they have without having to do a midnight blood draw, which is really hard to find.

ACTH is responsible for cortisol levels. The more ACTH, the less cortisol and vice versa.
So if your cortisol is high despite the ACTH, then they know there is a problem.
But if you have less cortisol, despite all the ACTH, then  you have AI.
Yes that is the test. I have to go in monday or tuesday to have it done.

Let us know the results if you can.

I had the cortisol stress test done, with low levels of cortisol.  This is all very new to me, and haven't even found a web site that tells you what levels of cortisol are normal in the UK.  My endo says 250 -300.  Mine were 37 and I was told that day I had to start hydrocortisone tabs.  It is all so confusing, though so far, I'm impressed with my endo.......he phoned my drs surgery on the same day when my cortisol showed low, and when I went for more tests and my cortisol went even lower he phoned me personally.  It seems that this is a US site.  You seem to be so much more advanced on these things than us here.  Bye
We have heard that before LOL

What are the suggestions from the doctor treating you?
If you only responded somewhat to the ACTH what does that mean?  

my begining cortisol was 6    after injection 30 minutes 18  then 1 hour  20.  that is n't a very good response is it?   can it be something else besides adrenal fatigue/ Adrenal insuff.?  

thanks