Allergy Community
Allergic to titanium?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-253 comments:
youre right.i had my elbow replaced totally with titanium,all of a sudden gradually,my hand on the titanium side was in pain and little white noddy things appeared between my fingers,which i already had arthritis in.sso i confronted the dr about my research and he prescribed loratadine i.e. claritin.helped very little.have been on antibiotics,in my research i found out about the parisitic indecftions that go with titanium,along with the other side effects.hives scratching fingers,peeling flesh off the fingers...there are moments i think i am going mad.and i am wearing gloves constantly to bed so i wont scratch etc.vit E and white gloves on when in bed lol..b ut it is too serious to be funny.
I am so sorry to hear this.  Do you have a plan of action?  Have you been metal tested?  I used Melisa in NJ.  

I had a titanium plate and after 2 years of misery I had it removed by another physician.  I can only imagine how frustrating this must be.  I wish you the best.
Following a cervical fusion of 3 levels and a titanium plate and screws being placed I again required revision surgery due to failed fusion on my bottom level.
Hardware removed and new hardware installed.  This time only 1 level.
Since the surgery my health has gone down hill quickly.
Sever muscle wasting.  Horrible headaches,  My body has completely became so weak I can hardly open a soda or lift a pan of water. I am in constant pain every day.
I developed a rash on my side following the surgery and as well a huge hematoma on my incision following the first surgery.
I now am having horrible vascular problems with elevated BP and as well heart palpitation.  Mostly when I lay down I think? I feel horrible all the time.  my right shoulder and arm hurt all the time like there is no circulation.
My Doc told me that my little muscles that hold the spine have disappeared and causing my hip to rotate out to far which is causing my lower back to now hurt all the time worse than my neck did.  I am in constant pain and I honestly feel my body dying.
My Doc is strongly against removal of the hardware claiming it is fine.
Im so scared I don't know who to go to in order to have it removed.
Prior to this all I was in excellent shape.  Now I can hardly get out of bed.
Would love to hear any suggestions.  
Thank you

SLCUTAH
I had a single level cervical fusion.  Much of what you are describing I was suffering from too.  I told my surgeon prior to the surgery I was allergic to metal, (I wear no jewelry or watch) and he told me no one is allergic to titanium.  There are people allergic to titanium or the alloys that are in the plate to make it stronger.  I was allergic to the nickel.  I contacted the Melisa lab in NJ (melisa dot org. - this website will not allow us to put in links,) and set up testing.  When the results came in it did show the allergy.  I then persuaded another surgeon to remove it.  Today is my one year anniversary since I had it removed.  My life has totally turned around in the year.  I started doing yoga to build my muscles back and researching and taking supplements that help me too.  Unfortunately not all of the symptoms went away, but enough of them did to regain my life.  If faced with the same option again, I would have it removed again in a second.  I wish you well.  If you have any questions please ask we are here for you.
My father had a titanium device called a Coflex inserted into his low back on April 11, 2013.  Since that time every single month without fail he becomes very ill with horrible chills, fevers of up to 104, sweating, facial rash and flaking.  He loses his balance, his strength and his stamina.  This passes within a week.  Then the very next month like clock work it happens again.  He has been hospitalized every time.  Nothing comes up in any tests they've run.  No infection of any kind.  I have had a gut feeling since it first started it was this implant.  Anyone have any similar issues?  We are having the Melisa testing done next week.  We are at our wits end here.  thank you in advance for any help/replies/ideas etc.
Dear Teabags1,

I had a titanium plate from cervical fusion about 3 years ago.  I continued on a downward spiral for the next 1 1/2 years.  My doc ran tons of testing and nothing showed up.  I had a rash too along with muscle pain/weakness, fatigue, etc.  All I did was sleep and when I wasn't sleeping, I wanted to sleep.  My doc told me if I could come up with something she would run the testing.  Long story short, after doing a lot of research, I had the melissa testing and found out I was very allergic to nickel, and also 2 other metals.  I had my plate removed a year ago and have been steadily improving.  It did a lot of damage, so the recovery is very slow plus I am having to have major dental work done because it reacted to my dental work.  

What the doc doesn't tell you is that the stuff they use isn't 100% titanium.  Titanium has to be mixed with other metals to make it hard enough.  When the surgeon removed it he told my husband that the metal had leached into my bones.  I do believe that is why my recovery is going to take years.

I wish your dad well.  Please let us know what happens.  The more information posted here will help future patients get treatment that they need.
After a bad experience with a total knee replacement 8 months ago, my surgeon said 96% of patients are happy with the surgery but 4% have "unexplained pain" and I was in that 4%. He sent me on my way to suffer for the rest of my life. A new surgeon said it's their job to find out why there is pain and to address it. Found out I am allergic to titanium. Before scheduling surgery to take out the knee prostheses and put in a replacement made out of materials that won't last as long, he prescribed an anti-inflammatory with the hope that I can get the inflammation down long enough for my body to eventually accept the knee. It's sure worth the effort since the alternative is a really big deal. I'm so sorry to hear of others suffering with this. After 3 weeks I am in less pain and am hopeful for the future. Before getting a new doctor, being very frustrated and in so much pain, the accompanying depression and sense of hopelessness was even worse. You too may benefit from an anti-inflammatory. I wish you the best! Oh, BTW, I've had a titanium dental implant for years with no problem. The surgeon said that implant is totally unrelated to this. Maybe because the dental implant is in bone. I have no rash - only swelling, pain and my knee is "hot". Does anyone else have these symptoms?
Interesting to read your post! I also had a total right knee replacement at the end of Dec. 2011. I think it was due to an auto accident, but of course the defense attorney decided that since I had osteoarthritis anyway that I would have had to have had a knee replacement. The summer before the accident I was in Europe for 3 weeks with teenagers!!! Anyway, I was off work for 15 months for this surgery and almost 4 months when I had 2 pins to fuse my big toe due to the accident. I am a realtor and I have had problems doing steps. I still have to have the occasional cortisone shot in the new knee to get rid of scar tissue. My doc said I'm in the 1 percent that gets scar tissue. Have to wonder if I have a metal allergy that caused the scar tissue?  Concerned now because I have to have oral surgery and have been considering an implant. The more I read, the less I want a dental implant!  Thanks for your post!!! "JA1520"
One other thing...I developed "double pneumonia" within 48 hours of surgery. Maybe it wasn't pneumonia at all, but my body's allergic reaction to the new "foreign body" in my body!  I was told it was double mycoplasmic pneumonia. I don't remember them ever considering the possibility of an allergy reaction. It could have been just a coincidence, but based on what I've read here, I have to wonder!!! "JA1520"
my dad has been sick since he had a back operation on April 11. They inserted a device called a "Coflex" into his low spine instead of doing a fusion. He has run fevers every month since he had that titanium put in his body. He has severe cold chills (looks like he's convulsing) and his fever gets up to 103 sometimes. This cycle does pass but he still is not himself after. His body is being attacked by something. He gets a rash on his face, flaky skin on his face, runny nose and severe dizziness before these attacks. He is hospitalized and released once fevers go away. This has been happening every month since April. They have run so many tests. Bone scan, MRI's, Bone marrow biopsy, x-rays, blood work etc. All negative. There is no infection in his body. I have felt like this titanium Coflex thing has been the culprit all along. Hard to get doctors to take that seriously because NO NONE is allergic to titanium or titanium alloys. We have finally succeeded in sending a blood sample to a private lab in New Jersey for Melisa testing (metal sensitivity/allergy) and are waiting on the results.
I had an anterior cervical fusion with a titanium plate and screws. I became horribly ill afterwards; fever, chills, edema, joint pain, body aches, cold sweats, etc. I eventually (after 15 months) had the plate removed due to what I suspected was a metal allergy, and substantially recovered over time. My surgeon did not believe I was allergic. I eventually had testing done by Melisa Labs, which confirmed I am in fact highly allergic to Titanium, as well as several other metals. Most doctors do not believe that it is possible to have a Titanium allergy, however, they are sadly mistaken. I was so sick from it, I honestly thought I was dying. I hope this info helps.
After having your titanium implant removed, did you need to do any chelation therapy with chelators, or does your health gradually return on its own?
Linwain,

About 80% of my health returned on it own.  I could probably do with something type of therapy because the surgeon who removed the implant said that it had leached into my bones.
Hello Teabags,

unfortunately this sounds a little bit familiar to me.
I have an artificial disc im my spine and five month after the operation hell broke loose.
Please keep us informed how the "story" goes on.

Best wishes from Germany, Günter
Hey Gunter,

I have been wondering how you have been doing.  Any news?

B4SuzieQ
Hello Suzie,

nice to hear from you.
I had an knee operation six weeks ago und in one week there will be a surgery at my right hand.
So I didn´t had the time to care about something else.
If there would be any news about my spine - implant I would have post them.
So, you see, there is no news.

And what about you. Do you still recover day by day. I hope so!!!!

Please keep me informed about your health.

All the best from Bavaria/Germany, Günter
I am so sorry you are having so many surgeries.  I do hope one day you will be healthy again.

I do continue to improve.  I just had to have some varicose veins removed from one of my legs, and I am recovering from that, but prior to that surgery I was really feeling great.  It seems now it takes a little longer to recover from surgery, but I am.  I have noticed the fatigue has been dwindling slowly and that is great.  I hope one day that you will be able to feel this good too.

I am hearing more and more stories about people having these devices removed.  Hopefully one day these doctors will realize that they can be dangerous and no one will have to go through this misery.

I wish you all the best and please keep us posted even if it is to say all is the same.

Suzie Q
Hi Prissy, I had the same clips put in. I had told the doctor who did it I was allergic to titanium. He put it in anyway. After I started getting very tired all the time. No energy at all. My left arm started burning and me eyes were as red  and burning all the time. I became very sick...I said he only put three in. When I went to see my physical doctor. He couldn't believe how I looked.. He told me not to see that doctor again.. I did the Melisa test and it showed I was allergic to titanium..My doctor set me up with a surgeon. In three days he removed them. I had 16 clips in me. About a week later my arm stopped burning. I had seen and eye doctor before they were removed. He said I was having an awful reaction to the clips...After it took about 2 weeks for me eyes to improve. But when I went back to the eye doctor he couldn't believe the difference in my eyes. They were so much better. You can have them removed..I didn't have to have anything else put in because the tubes sealed. That is what you may have to do...Good luck!! If I can help let me know...Linda  
I had a 3 level fusion with constant pain with neck vibration. who removed your titanium since I found out I am alleric severely to Titanium?
Any surgeon that does the original surgery can do the revision.  More and more docs are realizing that this is a concern and destroying lives.  Are you having problems finding a doc to remove it?  Why won't your original doc remove it?
My husband just had to have a pacemaker implanted.  When I questioned the rep about what metals are used in the unit, she gave me the usual line about no one being allergic to titanium or if they are taking benadryl will solve any problems concerning that.  I of course went into my own experience and benadryl isn't a solution, and told her that she should tell her bosses that this is very much a concern and that they can scoop up additional business by eliminating any metal in the product.  I think we all should, at any opportunity, explain our position on this.  If they think that there is profit to be had, they just may come around.
I have broke out in hives ever since they unknowingly put these clips on my tubes. They said they were going to tie them and did not inform me until after to c-section. I have to be on a antihystomine 24/7 or my face blows up and my body is covered in hives. I did not have these symptoms before the clips were taken out. The doctor that did it, does not see to care. Any assistance ***@****
As you can see this website will not allow you to type in your email address.  Consult another doctor.  If I am not mistaking, those clips can be removed.  That is insane that you have to ruin the quality of your life because these docs don't bother to find out if people are allergic.  If you tell us what state you live in maybe someone here can give you a doc's name.  I wish you the best, do not accept this for yourself.  

As you can see this website will not allow you to type in your email address.
Hi: I had a 3 level ACDF with plating on 7/18/13. After 2 weeks I went down hill. My throat began swelling and I feel like I am choking. I have a rash on the left side of my face that turns in wheels. I feel weak and racked with pain and fatigue. My heart rate is elevated. My husband did some research and said since you can't wear ear rings, I wonder if you are allergic to your hardware? I did a MELISA test and am waiting for the results. For now, I take 2 Alegras in the daytime and 2 Zyrtec in the PM. I take Primatene tabs to keep my airway open. I can barely function. My NS dismissed me, as I have no other appointments. I had another cancer center high tech MRI, and it showed impingement on the C5 nerve root. The PA also said the hardware moved. The NS disagreed with the radiologist and the PA. He said it was artifact.I live in Iowa/Ne area and I need a dr who will consider removing my hardware, but I also need to have the C 5 issue resolved too.
I too was so sick right after my surgery.  I didn't have a clue as to what was going on.  One day while driving and praying it came to me, it was the implant.  I did the research and had it removed after it lived in me for almost 2 years.  I never have regret the decision, in fact I wish I had known I would have done it sooner.   I had mine removed 1 year ago and has made a very positive improvement in my life.  

Did the MRI reveal that the hardware was the culprit with the C5 nerve root? There is a doctor at the Melisa Lab in NJ who is a wealth of information.  Her name is Dr. Valentine-Thorn.  I have spoken/emailed her on many occasions and I think she has a lot to offer.  She may have some information that maybe able to help you.  I wish you the very best and I hope you find your answers.  If you have any questions please feel free to ask.  Do not give up hope, more and more docs are aware of this and are doing the revision surgeries.  
Thank you for your responce. I got the MELSA results yesterday. And it showed negative for all metals after having the implant for just over 2.5 months. the Nickel was 3.2 and negative is 4.5 or less. But it did say that there is no safe level for people who are "hypersensitive." To which I am!
The MRI said, "There is a small rounded area of low signal noted in the right foraminal region at C 4-5. This could represent a residual osteophyte disc complex or a post surgical change. It does narrow the right neural foraminal and some compression of the C 5 nerve root." He either left the bone spur or it is part of the screw pushing on the area? But he said or its only artifact! I am so bummed. But I am praying and fasting for God to show me what next... I see a specialist in Omaha in November. I hope he can help me. I asked the NS to do a Myleogram-CT with contrast to R/O artifacts, but he refuses. So we pray, wait, and see:-)
I left a note for you, that may help.  Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
There is another thread for this subject through Medhelp it is called "titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implants".  This isn't just for dental implant, but it is the main discussion.  There are stories there that may help.  There are a lot of people there that have titanium dental implants, had them removed and are doing better.  Hope this helps.
Hello, I am so so worried about my husband.  He had neck surgery several months ago and had the titanium plate  done.  About 5 months later he is in the hospital with hemolytic anemia and never could find out what the cause was.  He was put on high doses of steroids and eventually got better from that.  But since then he has had rashes break out on his back and belly area and for almost a month now he is waking up with severe leg cramps pretty much every night.  He has also complained of a chemical taste at times.  I can't help but think it has got something to do with his neck surgery.  I read about this test you were having done on your dad and would love to know more about it and how to go about getting it done. Any help would be great!!!
Same thing happened with me, different symptoms, but definitely a rash everywhere.  I had the plate removed and I have recovered to about 80%.  I had a Melisa test done through the NJ lab.  There is a doc there that will talk to you and give you more info.  Her name is Dr. Valentine-Thor.  I hope you find answers for him.  

Please keep us updated.
My daughter just had the MELISA test done after about a six month span of being extremely sick with doctors telling they just dont know what is wrong. They suggest I get her therapy. Ya no thanks I would rather find out what is wrong with my once bubbly, hyper, very outgoing 15 year old. She had dental implants back in August and the symptoms started within two weeks time. It started first with severe stomach pain and vomiting. They put her in childrens hospital and finally decided it was her gall bladder so they took it out on Nov 20 2013. The symptoms only got worse after we were discharged and she was right back in the hospital 2 wks later. Only this time she also had severe fatigue, severe joint pain and a rash on her arms and legs that would come and go. She also had a very rapid heartbeat (always above 130 at rest and chest pains. Once again sent home saying they just dont know. About a month later she still had not been back to school and was still experiencing all the same symptoms. She had lost 20 lbs. One day the chest pains got so bad they transported her from our ER to the Arkansas childrens hospital by ambulance. They done extensive heart testing and came up with nothing. Sent home again not knowing. So, on the way home as I was praying and crying for my child that nobody seemed to want to help I thought about when this all started she had had some dental work done so I began researching allergies to dental implants and was astonished to see that she was suffering from a lot of the same symptoms so many had suffered that had a metal alloy allergy. I took her to her dentist that was very helpful and had done tons of research before we came in to discuss options. His first step was for us to contact or pcp and get the MELISA test ordered. So we get the test ordered and it finally came in. We just got the test done yesterday on 2/12/14. We cant wait to get the results and so hope this is what is wrong with her so she can get back in school and back to being a teenager. If she is positive for the titanium or nickel allergy we will also have to go see the surgeon that took out her gall bladder because they leave clips on your bile duct when they remove it that is also titanium. Its a lot to have to have done but we are ready and willing if it means getting her well. Has anyone else had similar symptoms as my daughter?
I didn't have dental implants, I had a titanium plate on my cervical spine.  After 1 1/2 years of tests and being exhausted and felt like I was dying, I found out about the Melisa test.  I was extremely allergic to nickel and a couple of other metals.  I had the plate removed and have made a 80 - 85% recovery.  I used the Melisa lab in NJ and the director there is extremely kind and helpful.  I wish you and your daughter all the best and that you find her the answers she needs.

One other thing, because of the implant I have had to have extensive dental work done.  Find a dentist that caters to this.  

I hope this helps.  I am sure others will be by to tell you their stories.  
This is interestng. I had coflex implant in Dec 2013. Thought that would be the end of pain. The pain in my legs disappeared which was amazing.BUT I now have constant headaches and neck pain. Quite worried now.
Hi I had bilateral hip replacement with titanium rods done 3 years ago and have developed a terrible case of excema. What did you do to treat and relive the symptoms you have?
Thanks Riki
The only way I was able to get the rash to go away was to have the cervical plate removed.  In the meantime what helped lessen the rash was taking some strong probiotics I ordered from my chiropractor and I would wipe my rashes with the brown listerine.  
I had a breast biopsy the middle of april. I am so sick. My throat is swollen hurts to swallow and my ears ache all the time. I have pain in my chest near the surgery site and enough nausea to light up Las Vegas. I have had CT scans and xrays. All negative for an infection anywhere. Called the surgical hospital and when I explained my symptoms, the nurse said that it sounded like a reaction to implant. Then all my symptoms made sense. I have been very allergic to metal since I was little. I have a vegus nerve stimulator to help with depression. It had to be turned off 4 weeks ago because the pain in my neck and ears was so severe, needless to say, it isn't doing anything for my mood. It is a long weekend so I wont know more about all of my symptoms till Tuesday. I have been searching everywhere for an explanation. Thank you for writing in. There is no information about this kind of allergy on the internet. I find it hard to believe and thankful for this site. I stumbled on to it by accident. Good luck to your daughter. lookinforhope 316
Dear Lookinforhope316,

I had a "titanium" cervical implant in 2010.  A few days after the surgery I developed a rash around the incision.  The surgeon ran a few tests and said nothing was wrong.  I suffered for almost two years.  I told my PCP I thought I was dying.  She told me if I find anything let her know and she would run the testing.  I found the Melisa Foundation.  I called Dr. Valentine-Thon at the NJ location and she was extremely helpful.  Long story short, I had the testing, I tested extremely positive for 4 metals including nickel, which is in a lot of titanium implants.  I had a revision surgery and have improved tremendously.  I wish you the very best and if you have any questions, please feel free to post them here.
Hi Suzie: I am scheduled to get my 3 level, 8 screws +  plate out next month. I talked to you before. My allergy test did not show a high reaction to metal. But it was only in 2 months out. I am now out 52 weeks. Since then my symptoms have gotten worse. I too get a rash over my whole neck. But the 1 screw on the top left C4 is not even engaged in the bone and is in the soft tissue pointing at my vertebral artery. I have developed painful joints through out my body. I am fatigued, I have scalp sores on my crown, my throat closes off and sometimes I have a hard time breathing. I still have dysphagia too. Both my hands, fingers, and arms are weak and painful. I can't even hold a phone very long.I am going to start a heavy metal detox program soon. Please everyone pray for me on 7/11 for a safe surgery and good recovery!
It seems like you are allergic to something with all of those symptoms.  I will tell you this, my sister, (technically half sister) also had some metal in her back for over 2 years and was tested after getting sicker and sicker.  Her tests basically came back in the normal range, but in the upper part of the range.  She had it removed and is doing much better.  It took her a couple of months, but things slowly started to improve.  There are a few minor symptoms that haven't gone away completely, but they are minor.  I do wish you the best and I have sent up prayers already for you.  
Hello Koni,

I cross my fingers for you (it will help, I cross my fingers in Germany).
Please keep us well informed, if the operation was (hopefully) successfully.

I myself suffer from severe fatigue since they put an artifical disc in my body in 2002.

I wish you well, Günter
I had a titanium plate and screws implanted in my neck about 3 months ago since a week after surgery I have had a terrible headache right at the base of my skull and my neck and shoulders ache and hurt also I have no feeling on the inside of my arms I only sleep about 3 hours a night then my neck starts to hurt. I went back to my neurosurgeon today he said I should be better by now but I am having these issues has anyone else had or heard of this type of problem??
Hi athomas13.  I am sorry you are having this difficulty.  I had an anterior cervical discectomy with fusion, (level 1, C5 - C6) done and suffered for almost 2 years afterwards.  You could be allergic to the titanium plate, which more than likely contains nickel or other alloys in it.  You can have testing to see if this is your problem.  The name of the test is melisa and they have a web site at melisa dot org.  I can't put the web address on this site because it will be removed.  The lab I used was in NJ and they were very helpful.  You can call there and get some answers about the testing.  If this is your problem you can have a revision surgery in most cases.  Usually you have to wait for 6 months if you had a fusion to make sure it has fused before the revision can be performed.  
I had my harware removed at 10:30 this morning central time. It took 1/2 hour. The Doctor said he found: metalosis, a nonsuppurative osteomyelitis that occurs around metal implants as a result of corrosion or hypersensitivity reaction!!! I had a skin test last year to test for nickel allergy, but the dermatologist did the test wrong. His nurse thought there was a reaction but he did not. He did not recheck me 24 to 48 hours later either as he should have. He cleaned my back up and said not to come back! Then the Melissa test on my blood last year did not show a strong allergic reaction. But they said no amount is safe for "hypersensitive people." To which I am. I can't wear ear rings. 14 K causes me to react. White gold does not bother me. If you are a hyper sensitive person, this could happen to you! I have been sick since 3 weeks post op last July 2013. My fatigue and pain had multiplied! Pains in my joints all over!!!! No one would listen to me in the medical field. A sweet doctor named, Dr. Christ Cornett, MD, in Omaha, NE helped me. He was no doubt shocked to see the black hardware and screws with black powder! He blamed it on rubbing, but rubbing on what? I am taking heavy metal detox by Swanson Health.com for 90 days. I researched this on my own. I hope to get better and better as time goes by. This has been the worst year of my life! Only God saw me through and a great husband. I am also so glad for Dr. Cornett to who stuck with me. God bless him!!!!
Hi KoniJay,

has your situation after the operation improved?
And what about your fatigue?

Please keep us informed.

Best wishes from Germany, Günter
Hello to all. It has been about 6 weeks post op for me. I moved a household from Iowa to the West Coast during this time. I was feeling good till the move wiped me out, but I am getting back to speed here. The problem I have is that the metal shavings that they found at the C 7 - T 1 level cause osteolysis. My symptoms are coming from that area now as far as radiculopathy. I have to get a new MRI as soon as I can find a new doc. My other ortho doc said you cannot have hardware in you because of the way you react. So now what??? I need a miracle!
I had a myelogram on April 2, at UNMC, and a resident, 1st year, did the injection. I ended up with a blood patch for a CSF leak and a neurogenic bladder due to a tethered cord because that hack did not know what he was doing. No one told me he was a resident!! I also have right foot pain from that. So removing the hardware won't help me there. Hopefully time and the Baclofen I am on will.
But I will tell you my energy is way way better! And I have less joint pain. I read it could take a year for this poison to get out of the body. I am now taking Chealation supps from VitalTox EDTA Chelation 850mg, 30 Count. EDTA is best for Nickel poisoning. I also take pure whey protein smoothies. They help to bind to the metals and remove them from your body. And also metals bind to fat cells and stay there. So a low carb high protein diet is what I try to follow to lose that fat.
I was taking 4 or more anti histamines a day to get by. Now I take none. So that tells you a lot. I no longer choke or feel that my air way closing off. The rash is gone and I talk better. Even sing better!
Metalosis ruins bone. I just hope it did not go too far that I can't recover. I have faith that someone out there will be able to help me.
Don't ever stop looking for answers. Those doctors who shew you off and tell you it is in your head are idiots. Keep knocking on doors till someone helps you. You know your own body they don't. I am a nurse for over 30 years and I have met more idiot doctors then I can count. Thank God there are some out there who really listen, and who really care.
I am glad to hear you are getting better.  I will pray that you have a complete recovery.  

Gone are the days that we should allow a doctor decide our medical issues.  We have to educate ourselves and if we can't, our better half needs to step in and do it for us.

All my best.  Please continue to report your progress.  I am going to check out the supplements you suggested for nickel.
My husband has been in agony for over 7 yrs because of his allergic reaction to the titanium hardware in his back. The surgeon told him "Nobody is allergic to titanium!", called him a drug-seeker, and dismissed him.

Could you please give me the contact info for the surgeon who recognized your symptoms and helped you? What I'm curious about its whether my husband's doctor should have recognized an allergic reaction to the titanium a few weeks after his surgery, or whether it was really believed by the orthopedic community at that time that there was no such thing. He's been to SO many doctors seeking help, and they tell him he's imagining it or lying about it or just drug-seeking. His lower back where the bolts are always feels so much hotter than the rest of him, and he's in so much pain. We'd love to find the right doctor to help.
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but there is lab testing to see if the titanium, or more likely the alloys in the titanium are causing this reaction.  Go to Melisa.org.  I use the lab in NJ.  There is a doctor there that will answer you questions, she is wonderful.  Her name is Dr. Valentine-Thon.

If you give your general location, maybe someone will be able to give you a name of a doctor.  I am in the Houston, Tx area if that is of any help.  I had my titanium plate removed two years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.  Prior to that surgery, I thought I was dying.
I had surgery and they put clips in me...the doctor who put them in didn't believe I was reacting...said no one does....well he was wrong...went to this doctor...and my whole life went back to normal...I was so sick when they were in...go read my story on July 2011...but any way this doctor said to refer to him to remove them...he is truly one of the best...Dr. Tiesenga...Elmwood park ,Illinois....708-453-6800...he will help you...he is a great guy...good luck  Linda
Have you had an allergy test done?  My implants have been bothering me for over 7 1/2 years, and finally a doctor agreed that I needed the test.  I was deemed SEVERLY ALLERGIC to titanuim.  The this that is infuriating to me is that the doctors do not believe the amount of pain I am in.  I know what you are going through with the feeling useless, worthless, and disbelieved by everyone.  I hope that all goes better for you!  Please have the test as soon as possible if you can.
I had an artificial disc c4-c5 about 9 months after surgery. I started developing muscle twitches, fatigue, muscles ache, I can hardly walk or move at times. Severe anxiety and heart palpitations. I have had every test you could imagine. One doctor says I have Lupus and another doctor says I don't. I also had my gallbladder removed and now deal with severe stomach issues. which has a clip where they removed the gall bladder. I asked my spine doctor if I could be allergic to titanium and he said there is hardly anyone allergic to titanium, he also informed me that there was nickel in the implant also. None of these issues started until after my neck surgery. prior to this surgery I was very active and healthy. Now I can't even leave my home. Any suggestions?
I have had 13 surgeries in my spine. They have used titatium screws and rods from the t-12 down to l-3. My body swells up all over I cant breathe. My legs swell up so bad I have headaches and severe muscle spasms there getting to go in and put cement in where all my screws are and replace the screws back in the cement. My bones are so thin from osteoporosis that the screws are staying in place. Does anyone know if this will work before I let them cut me up again. I cant take much more. The pain is so bad. I need advise.
Hello Simba,

this is Guenter from Germany.
Sad to hear about your situation but it sounds familiar!
Unfortunately I am nearly in the same situation since I received an artificial disc (Prodisc L)  12 years ago.
My symptoms started 4,5 month after the operation.

I suffer from:

- Severe chronic fatigue
- problems with concentration
- headache
- cold sweat
- panik attacks
- foggy head and dizzyness/swindle

So I would like to know the name of your "product".
Please let me know, if you have the "Prodisc" and when did they put the disc in your body.
It would be very kind if we could stay in contact.

best wishes, Günter

Viewing 201-253 comments: