Allergy Community
titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 1201-1267 comments:
I wish I wrote down the name of the tool, but the oral surgeon who is going to do my implant removal said it is like the miniature version of a tool that is used to put a door knob in a door.  It makes a hole around the implant so it is easier to get out.  I hope it is simple and not complicated.  It is 2 days away so hopefully I will be writing with good news soon.  
Hi, there is a fairly new tool out to remove implants now. It has been in use for a couple of years. If you look up osseonews website and click shop it is featured. It unscrews the implant a bit like reversing a screw out of wood I think. The idea is not to remove any bone only implant. I have implants I would like removed finding someone to do it is the problem!! I follow dental xp forum and they are always saying ' back the implant out with the removal tool' but this an American site and I am in the UK. I have had my implants for 13 years now and have massive bone loss and gum loss but the b things wont fall out!! Years ago implants were trephined out but things have progressed lets hope this new tool becomes standard procedure for easy implant removal. I think it may be called the Neobiotech removal tool.
Thank you for your messages! I think the Neobiotech removal tool is indeed the name of the tool, although there may be other similar ones as well. There's a dentist in Bulgaria, who obviously does this. You can find his contact info from CeraRoot's web page. I may also send the info in a private message if needed (I don't know it's allowed here). I would assume that there would be someone in UK, but I don't know. I also know that Dr. Kazeemi does these in the US.

But what do you think, is putting a zirconia implant still a risk so would it be safer to just leave the place open? This would mean the risk of bone loss (due to no exercise to the bone) and teeth shifting, but at least there wouldn't be an implant for the body to reject.            
So obviously no-one has opinions about whether it'd be better to put the zirconia implant or to leave the place open? I know this is a difficult question and I'm sorry to get back to the topic with another post.

I'm just trying to make the right decision this time and I really don't know where to search for more info, as I've already spent a lot of time by going through different sites.  
I was having trouble logging in as usual! I had two zirconium placed and am very happy. You will most likely need a bone graft before it can be placed. Feel free to message or email me.
How are you doing?!
Hi, I am not sure about everyone else but for me personally I think it depends a lot on age, finances and the worry that it may all go wrong again. I was told the implants would not cause any pain and last a lifetime. Titanium that is. I am in my mid 60's and to be honest going back to an upper denture after 13 years of problems would be a relief. Now that is just my view and I know I would not take a chance again. I hope you make the right decision for you.
Thank you so much for your mails terrybrown 12 and lyndhurst76!  Did you have titanium implants at first or were the zirconia implants the first ones you got? If you had titanium implants first how were they removed? Did the dentist use the specific tool for that?

If I do need a bone graft I'll have some more time to consider putting the zirconia implant in. I mean I would need a few months to get the area healed before I could consider a new implant.

But if it is possible to put a zirconia implant immediately after removing the titanium one I wonder if an immediate replacement would be a better option? Would this possibly avoid the need of bone graft? Or would it be better to fill the hole and let it heal before another implant? I'm thinking that with good luck it might be possible (at least in theory) to use the new tool to get the old one out and then just stick the new implant in and let it heal. Of course that's the ideal movie version, real life may be another story :)  
Hi, if you check the thread my entire story is on here. :) Best to not try to place the zirconium till there is nice strong bone. We tried that for one of mine and it failed.

Thank you again! Yes, I read all your posts in the first three or four pages of this thread and it gave so much helpful info! I will continue reading this thread, I'm planning to start from the beginning, but with over 1200 replies it's gonna take some time :)

In one of your messages you mentioned that you got a very informative reply from your dentist to the arcticle you sent him and that you'd be ready to send it if someone is interested. Do you still have that reply and would you still be ready to do that kind of a service? Would we need to exchange private messages to get each other's email addresses?

After reading your messages I think there's quite much in common between our cases. I used to be a healthy guy, doing great socially and career-wise, but during the last decade a lot has happened in that sense. I've also never given up and have been doing my best in life, but it sure is different with something like this. I've also been researching a lot and have been following a candida diet for about a year and it has helped quite much, but it's still a long way to go.

I started to think what's happened during the last ten years or so and I'm pretty sure my problems are a combination of the following things:

1. Lots of mercury ingested (especially 11 years ago before having an implant installed)

2. A titanium implant (11 years ago)

3. Candida

I have been trying to deal with candida, but it just leaves me so tired. I've read that candida binds a lot of mercury so killing candida may make the mercury poisoning worse. That's why I think the correct order is to get the implant out, then do chelation and then keep on dealing with candida.

You also said your bine graft was done with a 100% biocompatible material, may I still ask what this is? Thank you so much! I'm really glad to see you're feeling much better, I'm also on my (slow) way and determined to share my good news here in a year or two :)  

Hi, I got your message. Would you kindly send the above message to my email terrybrown12atAOLdotcom
Much easier to respond to you there.
Thanks!
I had my titanium implant removed on Jan. 12. The oral surgery went well and I have had no complications or problems so far with the post surgery healing.  I wish I could report that my symptoms have all disappeared, but unfortunately, they have worsened.  The tinnitus is louder and the burning and tingling in my skull and face are more pronounced, but I think there is a lot of inflammation in there so I need to give it some time.

I wish I could give you all better news, but I am not sorry I did this.  I think in the long run, I will feel good about getting that metal out of my jaw bone and so close to my brain.

I had the implant analyzed by Dental DNA and 3 different bacteria were found as well as candida! So the post above mine is very well timed!  I will write again to update you all.  Hopefully with good news!  I got a bone graft but luckily, the surgery did not create an opening in my sinus, which we feared.  I don't plan on doing anything to replace the implant in the near future.  Probably never!

Hi dear Ones!

Finally, I have found someone to take out my implant in Salzburg. The surgeon, to whom I was taken by a friend, was even excited, because they have just received this new drill going around the implant. Bluebird22 was also mentioning this. I am having my operation on the 10th of February (upper, left, 5 tooth). By the way, I was also glad to see, that here they did not fight with me at all, it seems like that they are accepting these kinds symptoms related to titanium dental implant..my dizziness, panick attacks, weak left side where the implant is... Now there is a new term in dentistry, he said: EXPLANTATION. Oh, I will let you know how it went!Keep your fingers crossed. I am already thankful for another Austrian Homeopathic doctor, who had started working on my symptoms two months ago, although they did not disappear, but at least I have the strength both mentally and physically for the operation. :)
Hi!

I have just posted on the wall...having my operation on the 10th of February.
Will be back afterwards....I am so grateful for this forum! Love to you all!
Happy for you Leela!!!
Bluebird, I feel strongly you will improve with time. :)
I cannot express how thankful I am for this entire thread. It really changed (and saved, in many ways) my life.
It is also so good to see how in the last few months the change in approach of dentists and the industry as a whole. My neurological symptoms have subsided and I am ready to get back into shape and fighting fit.
I will keep checking back here and I am keen in perhaps writing an article just to get this information out further.
Those that are still suffering- stay strong, it takes time
What wonderful news, I am so happy for you!!
If you are like me it will just take time to heal completely then you will be better than ever because you are taking good care of yourself!
Yes, this is a wonderful thread so thank you all and especially lovely people like terrybrown12 who have used their valuable time to help me!

I will have my titanium implant removed in March and I still need to decide whether or not to replace the titanium implant with a zirconia implant or if I should just leave the place open. If I do go for the implant I also need to decide if I should have a MELISA test for the zirconia implant or if I can just assume that it won't be necessary. Does anyone know how common it is to reject zirconia?
My dentist has been repalcing zirconia after removing the titatium and none have failed. These are all people that had trouble with the titanium.
I guess it is always a possiblity. Dr Robert Marshall QRA, has found them to be compatible with the body and has two himself. You can google him to learn more.
Hi everyone. I wish I had found this site before having two more titanium implants 5 months ago. I am very grateful to have found it now and have read through the entire thread during these past two days. Here is my story in brief.

I had had post-encephalitis CFS for a couple decades before getting an implant in 2000. Because I was already not well (though much more functional than after that) and most of the strange new symptoms that started developing around that time developed slowly and insidiously or appeared to be otherwise unrelated, I did not recognize a potential connection.

Nor when the implant was failing and I had it removed last year did I notice any improvement in my health. In fact it had gotten somewhat worse for awhile. For those reasons it did not occur to me to not replace it or seek a dentist who could do zirconia instead of titanium.

Since bone grafting on one side of my jaw and placement of 2 implants on the other last year (both lower jaw), a number of symptoms escalated over the next several months: lethargy, systemic tingling, buzzing, vibrating sensation, neuropathy, including loss of feeling in my fingertips (permanent),  feeling of pressure around my chest and reduced lung function, word finding and general depressed mental functions, bleeding, burning nose, dry burning eyes, tendonitis, pain and slight weakness in my thumbs.

These were not new symptoms, but they became worse and worse over the next several months following the surgeries, and the bleeding nose had not been a problem for about 8 years. Some of my immune function tests had also worsened in this period.

I cancelled several of the next appointments because I was feeling too sick, but feeling slightly better this week, went ahead with abutment placing. First of all, I noticed they do not look the color of titanium. And second, the nervous system symptoms and neuropathy are now worse than even after the first surgeries, and this time I can be almost certain it is not because of drug effects. The anesthetic has had 4 days to work its way out, and Tylenol for one day too, and I didn't even use an antibiotic this time.

I will be contacting the periodontist (post-grad) at the dental school who placed the implants about having them removed. I hope I do not have a problem getting a surgeon there to remove them. The dentist who placed them had expressed concerns about my health following the surgeries and had actually encouraged me to wait until I felt better to continue. I got the impression she may have developed some misgivings herself about whether I should continue? I will have a better idea when I speak with her.

So getting a surgeon to remove them asap will be my first priority.
I do not live anywhere near a biological dentist except for one who was interested in my money exclusive of my health when, a few years back, I was experiencing destructive periodontal infections related to malpractice elsewhere - I lost a healthy tooth as a result.

Does anyone know of any in the Boston/South Boston or Albany, NY areas who do zirconia? I may not be able to afford (2-4 of) them after this fiasco, but since I am missing all posterior teeth on the bottom, having to rely on a partial will mean never being able to eat much normal food again, so I feel compelled to at least look into it.
You can report to the FDA online your complaint that you developed tinnitus or any other problem following your dental implant. See the link below and on the right side of the FDA page start your complaint as a consumer. How else will they know there are  problems with these implants? Please note if it was titanium or ceramic implant in your complaint. Mine is titanium. I developed tinnitus 3 weeks after the implant and in 7 months since the single implant was put in have developed other health problems. I had no health problems before the implant. The implant is a medical device and regulated by the FDA. You may have to copy the link into your browser. We need to report this to  the FDA to help ourselves and others.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/
Thank you for the link, Ilenepie! I had been thinking about that as I read through the comments here. It is so important that we report our experiences.

Can you describe the health problems you have developed since your implant?

These are some of the early symptoms I recall that began around the time of my first implant: thumb weakness, long ropey saliva, palpitations and weakness with exertion, worse fatigue, GI pain followed by IBS, a feeling of unreality and disconnection, skin problems, chronic back and neck pain, cold pruritis, feeling suddenly ill and weak after about 15 minutes of moderate treadmill use.
I just came across this thread. I have been having upper jaw pain right by my titanium implant. I have addressed this issue with my dentist and he keeps telling me that it is due to my tooth behind it but the pain comes right from where the implant is. He wants to do a an uneccessay root canal, but I keep telling him that it hurts when i push up on the implant. I have been sick within the last month ad it made me wonder if it was due to the implant.
Can anyone send me in the rights direction. Is there something else I can replace this titanium implant?

Thank you so much
I have been wondering lately what kind of dental implant would be right for me. I didn't know there were so many options with metals to choose, and that each one could have a different result. Do you know if there is a test that can be done to see which metal would be right for you?

-Lewis

http://georgiandental.ca/dental-implants/benefits-of-dental-implants.aspx
Janosha - I just saw your question and do not know if you've done anything yet, but if it were me I would have the implant removed and replaced with a bridge. Bridges used to be a common and are not as bad a solution as they're made out to be IMO.

Another option, if you prefer, is to replace the metal implant with zirconia, depending on how much you want to spend and how near you are to a surgeon who uses them.
Lewis - If a single tooth is missing, IMO the solution with which you are least apt to run into complications is a fixed bridge, in which the teeth on either side are crowned and bridged with another crown called a pontic. This is assuming you use high grade "noble" metal that you are not allergic to or all zirconia.

A test called Melisa is supposed to be able to identify metal allergies. I am not familiar enough with it to be able to recommend one way or another.

Implants made of metal, even highest grade titanium, are potentially more risky to your health than zirconia, but far more available: It appears that many dentists in the US are not yet trained in placing zirconia implants and therefore do not offer them.

Anyone considering implants should familiarize themselves with potential problems with the metals and with the placement of them as reported by real people, and not just what is reported in the literature, and then decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

This thread is about people who have had problems with their health following placement of titanium implants, so there may be a built-in bias to the advice and experiences you will find here.
A question for people who have had metal dental implants removed and had their health improve--did you have issues at the site itself? I do not have any issues at the implant site, but I've had a world of other serious symptoms for 5 months now since my implant was installed. Severe swelling at first, hives, severe joint and muscle pain as time has gone by, shortness of breath at times, feeling extremely fatigued too.
I had no problems at the site.
Had all of the above symptoms you mentioned except hive.
I would remove that implant ASAP if I were you.
Thanks for the input. My oral surgeon is very willing to remove it, but he also claims there's not one documented case anywhere in the world where the implant caused other problems without also causing problems at the site. I see people saying their health improved after removing the implant, but not much clarification if they also had issues at the site or not. My jaw has taken wonderfully to the implant, but all these other issues came on at the same time and are really severe. We assumed it was a penicillin allergy for the longest time, but I'm five months into this now and none of the symptoms are getting any better. We plan to remove it March 10th.
Hi Everyone,

I would like to introduce you to my oral surgeon, Dr Mehta.
He has been following this thread for a while and he emailed me that he is going to post here and is available to answer questions anyone may have.

How desperately we need a qualified doctor to be a part of our discussions!

Dr Mehta was very open to helping me several years ago when I needed my implant removed. While I was the first implant he removed before doing so he researched extensively and was able to remove two implants successfully.

Since then he has removed many, I am not sure of the number. I personally have sent 3 people to him and they have all had outstanding results.

Dr Mehta has now has all of the state of the art equipment and professional knowledge on removing implants and replacing them with Zirconium.

I really can not recommend his services enough!

Please do not be shy about asking him any questions you many have.

Dr Mehta is a great person all around. All that go to him love him!

Terry

Correction: Dr Mehta is an Endodonist not an oral surgeon. He has had specialty training in oral surgery procedures.
PT105 asked about a doctor in New York area, who does zirconia. I will be having my titanium implants removed and zirconia ones installed by a doctor Veselin Shumantov, who has practices in New York and Bulgaria. I haven't visited him yet but I've heard a lot of good things about him (and talked to two of his patients) so I have every reason to believe he is a very good option. He also seems to have lots of tools to aid the easiest possible removal of the old implants.    

I will have my old implants removed in a couple of weeks so I'd like to ask if anyone knows what material should be used for the bone grafting? I was told the options would be synthetic calcium bone, bovine bone mixed with some natural bone taken from the adjacent area or just one's own bone.
I also had excellent "take" at the implant sites and as stated previously, increased neuropathy and other neurological symptoms, tendonitis, breathing problems/chest discomfort following implants. Maybe increased itching.

Like you I thought it was anything other than the implants at first, but symptoms continued to worsen and never improved to pre-implant level.
I forgot to add increased lethargy to my last post, which has been rather significant also.
I'm new to the board and am hoping to help people answer questions they may have about their titanium implants and wanting them to be removed.  I have helped quite a few people with the removal of their implants and will provide a professional opinion to any questions you may have. There is a correct way to remove these implants to preserve the bone. This is a procedure I'm very familiar with and hope to provide help to those who need it.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mehta
Just make sure he isn't "trephining" the implants out.  I would strongly recommend against this.  The idea here is that a drill that fits around the implant is used to core out the old implant.  This creates trauma to the bone and therefore necessitates a bone graft.  The correct method to remove your implants would be to expose them and counter-torque them to remove the implant without any trauma to the bone. Then, I would place Zirconia implants at the same time depending on the size of the removed implants.  There are many ways to remove the implants but only one that creates almost NO trauma.  Dr. Mehta
As I wrote to Studiotea:

ust make sure he isn't "trephining" the implants out.  I would strongly recommend against this.  The idea here is that a drill that fits around the implant is used to core out the old implant.  This creates trauma to the bone and therefore necessitates a bone graft.  The correct method to remove your implants would be to expose them and counter-torque them to remove the implant without any trauma to the bone. Then, I would place Zirconia implants at the same time depending on the size of the removed implants.  There are many ways to remove the implants but only one that creates almost NO trauma.  Dr. Mehta
I just wanted to shed some light on the physiology behind titanium reactions.  The current belief is that the titanium in the implants does not cause a "true" allergic reaction which is why a MELISA allergy test may not reveal a problem.  However, that is not to say that there is no adverse reaction in the body to these implants.  I recently talked to a very well respected clinician / researcher in the field of metal-free dentistry. Dr. Ralf Luettman practices in Switzerland and is an international speaker on the benefits of ceramic implants. He was trained under the guidance of Professor Branemark who many consider the father of implantology today and has also worked with many leaders in the ceramic implant field. His research shows that there is truly a reaction to titanium implants in certain individuals where the bodies own cells (macrophages) start to destroy the tissues around the implant. This self-destruction is inflammatory in nature and may be the cause of many systemic issues that patients experience. We know from medical science that inflammation in the body in a chronic state is very much an adverse state of being and inflammation is seen in many conditions such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, etc... There is a lot of buzz in the media regarding "eating an anti-inflammatory diet" and such as medical professionals know that inflammatory agents are detrimental to the body.  So, there is documented research showing an adverse reaction to Titanium in certain individuals - the problem is that this research is very difficult to find.
Thank you for taking time to post here, it is much appreciated. One question I have is that I show absolutely no signs of any issues whatsoever at the site of my titanium implant, which was implanted 5 months ago. I show a lot of systemic problems that are very pronounced and only showed up after the implant was done. Mostly severe joint and muscle pain, extreme fatigue and hives that are still here (the hives started one week after the implant). I feel very confident in my oral surgeon, he has been very open minded and has helped doing research, and his one hang up is that he says he cannot find one documented case where there were systemic problems but no problems at the implant site itself also. This is a big sticking point for both of us. Do you know of cases where there's been no problems at the site but other problems were being cause by the titanium implant?

I had the Melisa test done, and it came back positive for nickel and vanadium. My surgeon contacted the implant maker and they told him there was no nickel in it. They said there was vanadium, but it was only on the inside part of the screw that was screwed into my jawbone.

Again thanks for taking time to answer questions here, this has been by far the worst experience of my life and very difficult to try to research.
Hi. I had a titanium dental implant placed 3 weeks ago, at the same time as my tooth extraction. I have had a metal/salty taste in my mouth ever since, which I thought was normal the first week. The oral surgeon and my dentist have never heard of this, so I appear to be crazy. I do not want to place the crown until this clears up, or I find out if I have an allergy. I have looked into the Melisa test. I plan to wait another week or two before taking the test.  I don't know if it would be worth it to talk to another oral surgeon at this point. I had no idea such an allergy existed. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I saw where you where having your dental implants removed on Feb. 10.  How are you doing since you got them removed? My son had 2 dental implant surgery March 2013. Within a couple of months he started having headaches for 3 weeks. Then started having pelvic bladder and pain and urgency to urinate every 15 min. He was 24 yrs. old at the time of surgery always been healthy never had these crazy symptoms until he had his implants in. He has been to neurologist, had Mri, ct scans head to toe. and went to urologist for cystoscope. Everything came back normal. Urologist said it could related to nerve problem in his bladder. In October he had his implants removed this was last resort. In November his headaches come back for few 3 weeks again. His bladder problems went away for 3 weeks which is strange but now symptoms has come back again and now having pain in his legs and spine. Are you experiencing are anyone on her still having strange symptoms after having Implants removed? Thinking he has metal toxcitity and should be tested. Worried Mom!
My son also been having anxiety and panic attacks too! He had his implants removed Oct. 2014. I am praying we get answers soon and hoping from other patients experience we can get to the bottom on what is going on!
Sorry about what your son is going through.Some people take longer to heal, but I am surprised he has not made more recovery by now. Does he have any mercury fillings in his mouth?

He should first be optimizing his diet and nutrition, seeking advice specifically for environmental toxicities and improving immune status in that regard. He may at some point want to look into environmental medicine and environmental, mercury and metal toxicity, if after a few more months, he is still experiencing all these new symptoms. Methylation and chelation are two kinds of therapies often employed in that case.
My son doesn't have any mercury fillings. My daughter is also a dentist and 2 years ago she found out she had Mercury toxcitity from taking Mercury fillings out of patients. She is better now with the help with naturopathic Dr.  She also wears a special mask to protect her to remove fillings. She only uses ceramic fillings in her practice. She wants him to come to Colorado to see her Dr.  I Iand my daughter just feel his symptoms is caused by metal Toxcitity. My son has so much anxiety thinking he has Mutiple sclerosis. He also been having leg and back pain off and on this week. Thank you for your concern and all your information. How are u doing since your implants removed?  
I have written several posts about my son. He had his implants removed in March 2013 from the oral surgeon who put them in.  He had them remove October 2014. He is still having symptoms.Please read my posts. He had so much anxiety thinking he has MS. I thought his symptoms would get better after implant removal. I'm thinking he has metal toxciity. What would u recommend my son to do? Thanks!
I am going to take a guess that it may be his body reacting to metal toxicity. I too feared greatly I had MS as it felt as if I did. All tests were negative. Once my implants were removed it took about 2 years to completely return to normal. I had to restore balance to my body again. I did so through diet and repairing my gut and other things. Given the fact your son was fine prior to implants and troubles came afterwards is a sure sign it was the implants. Is he seeing any doctors that practice functional medicine?    
Thank you responding to my posts and encouraging words. My son hasn't been tested for metal toxcitity. Did u get tested? He had a MRI  last week and came back normal. The neurologist is ordering a spinal tap this week. What kind diet where u and how did u repair your gut? Did u have diagnostic tests to rule out What kind of Dr. Did u see one who specializes in immune system? Im sorry for all the questions. I'm praying my son will get back to normal like you have.
I stopped before the spinal tap because I knew if I did in fact have MS I would work to heal it naturally .I have seen many doctors, chiropractors, Holistic MD's and Functional Med cine MD's. The best conclusion I can offer is our body is a delicate ecosystem and there are many factors at play (toxins everywhere, vaccines, pollutants, GMO foods, mercury and other metal poisonings... )  I believe for me and others getting the titanium implant was the straw that broke the camels back. So... what I did and others I know in my situation was read all we could on safely detoxifying the body and bringing our body ecosystem back to fully functioning through diet, stress reduction, supplements etc. I am happy to share resources with you if you would like to email me. terrybrown12 at aol *******.      
Thank you so much for your message and for coming here to share your knowledge and experience! I specifically tried to find a doctor who has these new tools for removing the implant as safely as possible and even though I've lived there in California and that location could be possible for me, I will proceed with the plan to get it done here in Europe. I've already booked the flights and hotels and I do have every reason to believe this doctor is also a very good choice, as I'm certain you would be as well. But I sure know there aren't many of you. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of more questions:

You mentioned that some people's bodies destroy the tissues around the implants. I've had the implant for 12 years and nowadays the gum around the implant has been "eaten" so the screw can be seen quite clearly. Do you think this is part of what you mean?

My titanium implant will be removed in less than two weeks so what would you recommend for bone grafting if that's needed? I was told it could be synthetic calcium bone, bovine bone mixed with natural bone (from myself) or just my own bone.

Thank you so much!

Most of the implants I have removed have looked very good at the implant site.  I do not see as much tissue degradation as you would think or expect. I In fact, almost all of the implants that patients report to have caused systemic problems do not exhibit any tissue destruction at all.  That is partly why it's such a mystery.  You can have two different patients with the same implant and the same tissue profile but have very different effects overall.
You mention that the gum has eroded away exposing the screws.  This is NOT what I am referring to.  The gingival recession is seen in many implants as well as natural teeth and is a different process than the macrophagic tissue destruction I mentioned in a previous post.

As for the bone grafting, I'm a fan of the synthetic calcium bone if used properly. I would shy away from using your own bone as that creates more trauma at a different site in your body and is really not needed.  
Thank you so much for your response. Do you know a way that we can find "documented" evidence of this? My oral surgeon says he can't find that, and I am not sure why. I have read plenty of anecdotal stories about it where there is no problems at the site, but he says he can't find documented cases. He is in agreement with removing my implant and it will be done on March 11th. It would just put his mind at ease if he could see proof or evidence that would suit him. Thanks again for your help.
This is all really just coming to the light so there is not much documentation anywhere on any of the problems of titanium implants. You should direct him to this site where he can read the multitudes of stories, with very few having issue at the site of implant. Reading these stories should ease his mind at removing your implant.  
Terry thanks again for all your input. He's been doing a lot of reading and contacting colleagues, and I think his willingness to do the removal comes from seeing a lot of this. He is convinced there really is legitimacy to all this. Like him, I'm curious why there's not more documentation when there are so many stories of removals, and the removals helping so much. He's commented on being surprised at the lack of documentation, but I'm sure that will come along in the near future.
Encourage him to be the first one to document. Dr Mehta, you too! :)
He's already said he's going to make a case study out of my situation and write an article about it. He's taken quite an interest in the whole thing, very interested in my well being first and foremost. He's been open minded the whole time and willing to consider all possibilities from the very beginning, even though this is all new to him.
I'm not sure there are any documented cases in the literature.  The stories most doctors like myself have are from patients we've treated and from patients such as the ones on this website.  For example, I have a patient that just got treated and 90% of the symptoms she had have resolved after 2 weeks post-treatment with the treatment being removal of 2 titanium implants. She had the problem for a few years and after the implants were removed, things have been improving.  I would love the write a paper on this but, the community is frankly not quite ready to hear this story.  Not only that, since the symptomology is somewhat subjective, it's hard to document.  Hope that makes sense!
It makes total sense to me, and again I really appreciate you taking the time to come here and answer questions. It's a shame people aren't ready for the story, because I believe more and more people are having implants done, especially knee and hip, and are going to be vulnerable to these monstrous problems, without having any clue in advance the risk they were taking.

I have asked my oral surgeon to contact you via email. He is removing my dental implant on March 11th. He plans to bone graft the hole so we can place something else down the road. He's not comfortable yet with zirconium or porcelain, he is afraid they are too brittle and prone to chipping and breaking. It's my understanding you feel differently about that. If you could convey that to him I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to consider going ahead and placing a zirconium implant on the 11th at the same time we remove the titanium one, if that is possible.

Thanks again, I can't express enough how much I appreciate it.
Dear Everone,

I am blown away by my experience right now. We had to postpone my removal operation, so it was done now on the 26th of February in Salzburg, with a new "unscrewing" tool. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. ALL MY SYMPTOMS ARE GONE. The operation itself was not more than 5 minutes...plus the injection etc.
My titanium implant was in the left 5th position. Last year March it was put in. 3 days after, I thought I was having a stroke or something because walking on the street all of the sudden my head became heavy, somehow towards the left side, and a kind of dizziness followed, and of course enormous panic which was somehow natural with these kind of experiences. Fear of death.I went to doctors after doctors. Only in August had I realised all of the sudden: ahh, this all started after the implant had been put in!!!And then it took me this long to find someone to take it out. Then other symptoms followed in this period of time: bad digestion, acidic stomach, fatigue, dry mouth, suffocating feeling on the neck or in the throat (this I could lessen a little bit that I stopped using fluoride toothpaste), and of course lethargy. THIS IS ALL GONE NOW, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT.
BUT: I think my homeopathic treatment that I started in November helped a lot in the meantime. I went to a homeopathic doctor and He could test that the meridian that is weak in my case is exactly the METAL meridian!Lung and the big intestines. But he said this was weak even before. Which I could agree to, because I did have candida problems ten years ago. And guess what: he said that in Chinese Acupuncture, this 5th left position of the titan implant is exactly the intestines. So I guess, that the somewhat subjective symptoms in patients like us is the result of this, that every tooth is in a specific Acupuncture point.
So the Homeopatha hoped that maybe we can strengthen my meridian and then my body would be able to accept the titanium. OH, but it didn't. It was clear it had to come out. But I followed his advice and treated myself in the meantime. I had to take Fortakehl D6 for my bowels for a fortnight, then Candida Albicans D6 for a month, Probiotics, I also got Bach Flower Remedy for the soul level, Pulsatilla Globuli, and Zinc..And in the past few weeks before the operation I just started to take Kurkuma (Turmeric) which is good for inflammations in the body, and helps to take out the metal ions from the system.
This radical change now might also be because I had already been working on my body before they took it out this Thursday.
I cannot express how happy I am!One year of hell, and pulling myself together in the midst of lethargy to fight and find a surgeon. I thank you all for your postings, it gave me hope. I thank all the people who helped here around me.
And now, as I promised myself before, I am going to start writing. First a blog in Hungarian, English and Gerrman to help the people like us! I want to help, so that my suffering was not in vain....and to tell everyone that there is hope!
When my blog is ready I will post it here too.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need support, or have questions!
And I greatly welcome Dr Metha!!! I am very happy you are on this forum too.
All my love
Adrienn
What WONERFUL NEWS!!!
I am soooo happy for you!!!
Congratulations, that's fantastic news.
Thank you so much for your reply! Okay, it's good to know that having the gum "eaten" by the implant is nothing too unusual. However, it does seem strange to me that in every other place my gum is pretty much perfect, but the place in front of the screw has changed so much throughout the years.

Also thank you for your comment on the bone graft material! Before seeing your message I'd done some research on my own and I'd come to the same conclusion, the synthetic material seems like a pretty good choice.
You might want to try MMS to help remove metal toxicity.It has helped many people.
I had the EXACT same thing as you. Same symptoms. Nothing around the implant. I was a mess- the symptoms worsened until eventually I developed a tremor and was an emotional wreck. I had my implant removed 4 months ago and I cannot explain to you the difference it made. I have my life back, it took a good 2 months to start feeling my old self and I am not fully recovered (still have some brain fog and some inflammation) but I have been on a herbal chelation course and I swear to you, month on month I am improving.Trust your instinct- remove that thing!
Thanks for your input, glad to hear you got better. I have it scheduled, the implant is coming out in 6 days. Absolutely no doubts in my mind at this point. The last three weeks all of my symptoms have gotten worse and worse, it is unbelievable how bad I feel at this point.
Thanks to all who have posted on this forum.    

I got a titanium implant almost two years ago.   When the healing abutment was installed a couple of weeks after the implant, I had a great deal of head pain and sensitivity afterward.   Since then I have had recurring ear pressure and chronic low intensity headache.   My head is always sensitive and hurts if I ever have to cough or sneeze...probably indicative of a constant state of inflammation.     I was always told that the implant itself and gum looks health, so it couldn't be the problem, but the timing of the symptoms correlates with the implant.    Eight different doctors consulted with no useful results.     MELISA test showed no metals allergy.   Just went to a new periodontist who sees from CT scan that there is bone loss around some parts of implant.    He said it might imply neuropathy which could be related to my symptoms and suggests that he do surgery to biopsy the tissue near the bone loss plus perform bone augmentation.   He thinks I should try this before resorting to removal of the implant which, he thinks, could cause further nerve damage.    

I would be most grateful to hear any additional advice from those who have had implants removed.   It sounds like some have improved and others not.
Viewing 1201-1267 comments: