Allergy Community
titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 1201-1361 comments:
I wish I wrote down the name of the tool, but the oral surgeon who is going to do my implant removal said it is like the miniature version of a tool that is used to put a door knob in a door.  It makes a hole around the implant so it is easier to get out.  I hope it is simple and not complicated.  It is 2 days away so hopefully I will be writing with good news soon.  
Hi, there is a fairly new tool out to remove implants now. It has been in use for a couple of years. If you look up osseonews website and click shop it is featured. It unscrews the implant a bit like reversing a screw out of wood I think. The idea is not to remove any bone only implant. I have implants I would like removed finding someone to do it is the problem!! I follow dental xp forum and they are always saying ' back the implant out with the removal tool' but this an American site and I am in the UK. I have had my implants for 13 years now and have massive bone loss and gum loss but the b things wont fall out!! Years ago implants were trephined out but things have progressed lets hope this new tool becomes standard procedure for easy implant removal. I think it may be called the Neobiotech removal tool.
Thank you for your messages! I think the Neobiotech removal tool is indeed the name of the tool, although there may be other similar ones as well. There's a dentist in Bulgaria, who obviously does this. You can find his contact info from CeraRoot's web page. I may also send the info in a private message if needed (I don't know it's allowed here). I would assume that there would be someone in UK, but I don't know. I also know that Dr. Kazeemi does these in the US.

But what do you think, is putting a zirconia implant still a risk so would it be safer to just leave the place open? This would mean the risk of bone loss (due to no exercise to the bone) and teeth shifting, but at least there wouldn't be an implant for the body to reject.            
So obviously no-one has opinions about whether it'd be better to put the zirconia implant or to leave the place open? I know this is a difficult question and I'm sorry to get back to the topic with another post.

I'm just trying to make the right decision this time and I really don't know where to search for more info, as I've already spent a lot of time by going through different sites.  
I was having trouble logging in as usual! I had two zirconium placed and am very happy. You will most likely need a bone graft before it can be placed. Feel free to message or email me.
How are you doing?!
Hi, I am not sure about everyone else but for me personally I think it depends a lot on age, finances and the worry that it may all go wrong again. I was told the implants would not cause any pain and last a lifetime. Titanium that is. I am in my mid 60's and to be honest going back to an upper denture after 13 years of problems would be a relief. Now that is just my view and I know I would not take a chance again. I hope you make the right decision for you.
Thank you so much for your mails terrybrown 12 and lyndhurst76!  Did you have titanium implants at first or were the zirconia implants the first ones you got? If you had titanium implants first how were they removed? Did the dentist use the specific tool for that?

If I do need a bone graft I'll have some more time to consider putting the zirconia implant in. I mean I would need a few months to get the area healed before I could consider a new implant.

But if it is possible to put a zirconia implant immediately after removing the titanium one I wonder if an immediate replacement would be a better option? Would this possibly avoid the need of bone graft? Or would it be better to fill the hole and let it heal before another implant? I'm thinking that with good luck it might be possible (at least in theory) to use the new tool to get the old one out and then just stick the new implant in and let it heal. Of course that's the ideal movie version, real life may be another story :)  
Hi, if you check the thread my entire story is on here. :) Best to not try to place the zirconium till there is nice strong bone. We tried that for one of mine and it failed.

Thank you again! Yes, I read all your posts in the first three or four pages of this thread and it gave so much helpful info! I will continue reading this thread, I'm planning to start from the beginning, but with over 1200 replies it's gonna take some time :)

In one of your messages you mentioned that you got a very informative reply from your dentist to the arcticle you sent him and that you'd be ready to send it if someone is interested. Do you still have that reply and would you still be ready to do that kind of a service? Would we need to exchange private messages to get each other's email addresses?

After reading your messages I think there's quite much in common between our cases. I used to be a healthy guy, doing great socially and career-wise, but during the last decade a lot has happened in that sense. I've also never given up and have been doing my best in life, but it sure is different with something like this. I've also been researching a lot and have been following a candida diet for about a year and it has helped quite much, but it's still a long way to go.

I started to think what's happened during the last ten years or so and I'm pretty sure my problems are a combination of the following things:

1. Lots of mercury ingested (especially 11 years ago before having an implant installed)

2. A titanium implant (11 years ago)

3. Candida

I have been trying to deal with candida, but it just leaves me so tired. I've read that candida binds a lot of mercury so killing candida may make the mercury poisoning worse. That's why I think the correct order is to get the implant out, then do chelation and then keep on dealing with candida.

You also said your bine graft was done with a 100% biocompatible material, may I still ask what this is? Thank you so much! I'm really glad to see you're feeling much better, I'm also on my (slow) way and determined to share my good news here in a year or two :)  

Hi, I got your message. Would you kindly send the above message to my email terrybrown12atAOLdotcom
Much easier to respond to you there.
Thanks!
I had my titanium implant removed on Jan. 12. The oral surgery went well and I have had no complications or problems so far with the post surgery healing.  I wish I could report that my symptoms have all disappeared, but unfortunately, they have worsened.  The tinnitus is louder and the burning and tingling in my skull and face are more pronounced, but I think there is a lot of inflammation in there so I need to give it some time.

I wish I could give you all better news, but I am not sorry I did this.  I think in the long run, I will feel good about getting that metal out of my jaw bone and so close to my brain.

I had the implant analyzed by Dental DNA and 3 different bacteria were found as well as candida! So the post above mine is very well timed!  I will write again to update you all.  Hopefully with good news!  I got a bone graft but luckily, the surgery did not create an opening in my sinus, which we feared.  I don't plan on doing anything to replace the implant in the near future.  Probably never!

Hi dear Ones!

Finally, I have found someone to take out my implant in Salzburg. The surgeon, to whom I was taken by a friend, was even excited, because they have just received this new drill going around the implant. Bluebird22 was also mentioning this. I am having my operation on the 10th of February (upper, left, 5 tooth). By the way, I was also glad to see, that here they did not fight with me at all, it seems like that they are accepting these kinds symptoms related to titanium dental implant..my dizziness, panick attacks, weak left side where the implant is... Now there is a new term in dentistry, he said: EXPLANTATION. Oh, I will let you know how it went!Keep your fingers crossed. I am already thankful for another Austrian Homeopathic doctor, who had started working on my symptoms two months ago, although they did not disappear, but at least I have the strength both mentally and physically for the operation. :)
Hi!

I have just posted on the wall...having my operation on the 10th of February.
Will be back afterwards....I am so grateful for this forum! Love to you all!
Happy for you Leela!!!
Bluebird, I feel strongly you will improve with time. :)
I cannot express how thankful I am for this entire thread. It really changed (and saved, in many ways) my life.
It is also so good to see how in the last few months the change in approach of dentists and the industry as a whole. My neurological symptoms have subsided and I am ready to get back into shape and fighting fit.
I will keep checking back here and I am keen in perhaps writing an article just to get this information out further.
Those that are still suffering- stay strong, it takes time
What wonderful news, I am so happy for you!!
If you are like me it will just take time to heal completely then you will be better than ever because you are taking good care of yourself!
Yes, this is a wonderful thread so thank you all and especially lovely people like terrybrown12 who have used their valuable time to help me!

I will have my titanium implant removed in March and I still need to decide whether or not to replace the titanium implant with a zirconia implant or if I should just leave the place open. If I do go for the implant I also need to decide if I should have a MELISA test for the zirconia implant or if I can just assume that it won't be necessary. Does anyone know how common it is to reject zirconia?
My dentist has been repalcing zirconia after removing the titatium and none have failed. These are all people that had trouble with the titanium.
I guess it is always a possiblity. Dr Robert Marshall QRA, has found them to be compatible with the body and has two himself. You can google him to learn more.
Hi everyone. I wish I had found this site before having two more titanium implants 5 months ago. I am very grateful to have found it now and have read through the entire thread during these past two days. Here is my story in brief.

I had had post-encephalitis CFS for a couple decades before getting an implant in 2000. Because I was already not well (though much more functional than after that) and most of the strange new symptoms that started developing around that time developed slowly and insidiously or appeared to be otherwise unrelated, I did not recognize a potential connection.

Nor when the implant was failing and I had it removed last year did I notice any improvement in my health. In fact it had gotten somewhat worse for awhile. For those reasons it did not occur to me to not replace it or seek a dentist who could do zirconia instead of titanium.

Since bone grafting on one side of my jaw and placement of 2 implants on the other last year (both lower jaw), a number of symptoms escalated over the next several months: lethargy, systemic tingling, buzzing, vibrating sensation, neuropathy, including loss of feeling in my fingertips (permanent),  feeling of pressure around my chest and reduced lung function, word finding and general depressed mental functions, bleeding, burning nose, dry burning eyes, tendonitis, pain and slight weakness in my thumbs.

These were not new symptoms, but they became worse and worse over the next several months following the surgeries, and the bleeding nose had not been a problem for about 8 years. Some of my immune function tests had also worsened in this period.

I cancelled several of the next appointments because I was feeling too sick, but feeling slightly better this week, went ahead with abutment placing. First of all, I noticed they do not look the color of titanium. And second, the nervous system symptoms and neuropathy are now worse than even after the first surgeries, and this time I can be almost certain it is not because of drug effects. The anesthetic has had 4 days to work its way out, and Tylenol for one day too, and I didn't even use an antibiotic this time.

I will be contacting the periodontist (post-grad) at the dental school who placed the implants about having them removed. I hope I do not have a problem getting a surgeon there to remove them. The dentist who placed them had expressed concerns about my health following the surgeries and had actually encouraged me to wait until I felt better to continue. I got the impression she may have developed some misgivings herself about whether I should continue? I will have a better idea when I speak with her.

So getting a surgeon to remove them asap will be my first priority.
I do not live anywhere near a biological dentist except for one who was interested in my money exclusive of my health when, a few years back, I was experiencing destructive periodontal infections related to malpractice elsewhere - I lost a healthy tooth as a result.

Does anyone know of any in the Boston/South Boston or Albany, NY areas who do zirconia? I may not be able to afford (2-4 of) them after this fiasco, but since I am missing all posterior teeth on the bottom, having to rely on a partial will mean never being able to eat much normal food again, so I feel compelled to at least look into it.
You can report to the FDA online your complaint that you developed tinnitus or any other problem following your dental implant. See the link below and on the right side of the FDA page start your complaint as a consumer. How else will they know there are  problems with these implants? Please note if it was titanium or ceramic implant in your complaint. Mine is titanium. I developed tinnitus 3 weeks after the implant and in 7 months since the single implant was put in have developed other health problems. I had no health problems before the implant. The implant is a medical device and regulated by the FDA. You may have to copy the link into your browser. We need to report this to  the FDA to help ourselves and others.

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/
Thank you for the link, Ilenepie! I had been thinking about that as I read through the comments here. It is so important that we report our experiences.

Can you describe the health problems you have developed since your implant?

These are some of the early symptoms I recall that began around the time of my first implant: thumb weakness, long ropey saliva, palpitations and weakness with exertion, worse fatigue, GI pain followed by IBS, a feeling of unreality and disconnection, skin problems, chronic back and neck pain, cold pruritis, feeling suddenly ill and weak after about 15 minutes of moderate treadmill use.
I just came across this thread. I have been having upper jaw pain right by my titanium implant. I have addressed this issue with my dentist and he keeps telling me that it is due to my tooth behind it but the pain comes right from where the implant is. He wants to do a an uneccessay root canal, but I keep telling him that it hurts when i push up on the implant. I have been sick within the last month ad it made me wonder if it was due to the implant.
Can anyone send me in the rights direction. Is there something else I can replace this titanium implant?

Thank you so much
I have been wondering lately what kind of dental implant would be right for me. I didn't know there were so many options with metals to choose, and that each one could have a different result. Do you know if there is a test that can be done to see which metal would be right for you?

-Lewis

http://georgiandental.ca/dental-implants/benefits-of-dental-implants.aspx
Janosha - I just saw your question and do not know if you've done anything yet, but if it were me I would have the implant removed and replaced with a bridge. Bridges used to be a common and are not as bad a solution as they're made out to be IMO.

Another option, if you prefer, is to replace the metal implant with zirconia, depending on how much you want to spend and how near you are to a surgeon who uses them.
Lewis - If a single tooth is missing, IMO the solution with which you are least apt to run into complications is a fixed bridge, in which the teeth on either side are crowned and bridged with another crown called a pontic. This is assuming you use high grade "noble" metal that you are not allergic to or all zirconia.

A test called Melisa is supposed to be able to identify metal allergies. I am not familiar enough with it to be able to recommend one way or another.

Implants made of metal, even highest grade titanium, are potentially more risky to your health than zirconia, but far more available: It appears that many dentists in the US are not yet trained in placing zirconia implants and therefore do not offer them.

Anyone considering implants should familiarize themselves with potential problems with the metals and with the placement of them as reported by real people, and not just what is reported in the literature, and then decide for themselves what they are comfortable with.

This thread is about people who have had problems with their health following placement of titanium implants, so there may be a built-in bias to the advice and experiences you will find here.
A question for people who have had metal dental implants removed and had their health improve--did you have issues at the site itself? I do not have any issues at the implant site, but I've had a world of other serious symptoms for 5 months now since my implant was installed. Severe swelling at first, hives, severe joint and muscle pain as time has gone by, shortness of breath at times, feeling extremely fatigued too.
I had no problems at the site.
Had all of the above symptoms you mentioned except hive.
I would remove that implant ASAP if I were you.
Thanks for the input. My oral surgeon is very willing to remove it, but he also claims there's not one documented case anywhere in the world where the implant caused other problems without also causing problems at the site. I see people saying their health improved after removing the implant, but not much clarification if they also had issues at the site or not. My jaw has taken wonderfully to the implant, but all these other issues came on at the same time and are really severe. We assumed it was a penicillin allergy for the longest time, but I'm five months into this now and none of the symptoms are getting any better. We plan to remove it March 10th.
Hi Everyone,

I would like to introduce you to my oral surgeon, Dr Mehta.
He has been following this thread for a while and he emailed me that he is going to post here and is available to answer questions anyone may have.

How desperately we need a qualified doctor to be a part of our discussions!

Dr Mehta was very open to helping me several years ago when I needed my implant removed. While I was the first implant he removed before doing so he researched extensively and was able to remove two implants successfully.

Since then he has removed many, I am not sure of the number. I personally have sent 3 people to him and they have all had outstanding results.

Dr Mehta has now has all of the state of the art equipment and professional knowledge on removing implants and replacing them with Zirconium.

I really can not recommend his services enough!

Please do not be shy about asking him any questions you many have.

Dr Mehta is a great person all around. All that go to him love him!

Terry

Correction: Dr Mehta is an Endodonist not an oral surgeon. He has had specialty training in oral surgery procedures.
PT105 asked about a doctor in New York area, who does zirconia. I will be having my titanium implants removed and zirconia ones installed by a doctor Veselin Shumantov, who has practices in New York and Bulgaria. I haven't visited him yet but I've heard a lot of good things about him (and talked to two of his patients) so I have every reason to believe he is a very good option. He also seems to have lots of tools to aid the easiest possible removal of the old implants.    

I will have my old implants removed in a couple of weeks so I'd like to ask if anyone knows what material should be used for the bone grafting? I was told the options would be synthetic calcium bone, bovine bone mixed with some natural bone taken from the adjacent area or just one's own bone.
I also had excellent "take" at the implant sites and as stated previously, increased neuropathy and other neurological symptoms, tendonitis, breathing problems/chest discomfort following implants. Maybe increased itching.

Like you I thought it was anything other than the implants at first, but symptoms continued to worsen and never improved to pre-implant level.
I forgot to add increased lethargy to my last post, which has been rather significant also.
I'm new to the board and am hoping to help people answer questions they may have about their titanium implants and wanting them to be removed.  I have helped quite a few people with the removal of their implants and will provide a professional opinion to any questions you may have. There is a correct way to remove these implants to preserve the bone. This is a procedure I'm very familiar with and hope to provide help to those who need it.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mehta
Just make sure he isn't "trephining" the implants out.  I would strongly recommend against this.  The idea here is that a drill that fits around the implant is used to core out the old implant.  This creates trauma to the bone and therefore necessitates a bone graft.  The correct method to remove your implants would be to expose them and counter-torque them to remove the implant without any trauma to the bone. Then, I would place Zirconia implants at the same time depending on the size of the removed implants.  There are many ways to remove the implants but only one that creates almost NO trauma.  Dr. Mehta
As I wrote to Studiotea:

ust make sure he isn't "trephining" the implants out.  I would strongly recommend against this.  The idea here is that a drill that fits around the implant is used to core out the old implant.  This creates trauma to the bone and therefore necessitates a bone graft.  The correct method to remove your implants would be to expose them and counter-torque them to remove the implant without any trauma to the bone. Then, I would place Zirconia implants at the same time depending on the size of the removed implants.  There are many ways to remove the implants but only one that creates almost NO trauma.  Dr. Mehta
I just wanted to shed some light on the physiology behind titanium reactions.  The current belief is that the titanium in the implants does not cause a "true" allergic reaction which is why a MELISA allergy test may not reveal a problem.  However, that is not to say that there is no adverse reaction in the body to these implants.  I recently talked to a very well respected clinician / researcher in the field of metal-free dentistry. Dr. Ralf Luettman practices in Switzerland and is an international speaker on the benefits of ceramic implants. He was trained under the guidance of Professor Branemark who many consider the father of implantology today and has also worked with many leaders in the ceramic implant field. His research shows that there is truly a reaction to titanium implants in certain individuals where the bodies own cells (macrophages) start to destroy the tissues around the implant. This self-destruction is inflammatory in nature and may be the cause of many systemic issues that patients experience. We know from medical science that inflammation in the body in a chronic state is very much an adverse state of being and inflammation is seen in many conditions such as Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, etc... There is a lot of buzz in the media regarding "eating an anti-inflammatory diet" and such as medical professionals know that inflammatory agents are detrimental to the body.  So, there is documented research showing an adverse reaction to Titanium in certain individuals - the problem is that this research is very difficult to find.
Thank you for taking time to post here, it is much appreciated. One question I have is that I show absolutely no signs of any issues whatsoever at the site of my titanium implant, which was implanted 5 months ago. I show a lot of systemic problems that are very pronounced and only showed up after the implant was done. Mostly severe joint and muscle pain, extreme fatigue and hives that are still here (the hives started one week after the implant). I feel very confident in my oral surgeon, he has been very open minded and has helped doing research, and his one hang up is that he says he cannot find one documented case where there were systemic problems but no problems at the implant site itself also. This is a big sticking point for both of us. Do you know of cases where there's been no problems at the site but other problems were being cause by the titanium implant?

I had the Melisa test done, and it came back positive for nickel and vanadium. My surgeon contacted the implant maker and they told him there was no nickel in it. They said there was vanadium, but it was only on the inside part of the screw that was screwed into my jawbone.

Again thanks for taking time to answer questions here, this has been by far the worst experience of my life and very difficult to try to research.
Hi. I had a titanium dental implant placed 3 weeks ago, at the same time as my tooth extraction. I have had a metal/salty taste in my mouth ever since, which I thought was normal the first week. The oral surgeon and my dentist have never heard of this, so I appear to be crazy. I do not want to place the crown until this clears up, or I find out if I have an allergy. I have looked into the Melisa test. I plan to wait another week or two before taking the test.  I don't know if it would be worth it to talk to another oral surgeon at this point. I had no idea such an allergy existed. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I saw where you where having your dental implants removed on Feb. 10.  How are you doing since you got them removed? My son had 2 dental implant surgery March 2013. Within a couple of months he started having headaches for 3 weeks. Then started having pelvic bladder and pain and urgency to urinate every 15 min. He was 24 yrs. old at the time of surgery always been healthy never had these crazy symptoms until he had his implants in. He has been to neurologist, had Mri, ct scans head to toe. and went to urologist for cystoscope. Everything came back normal. Urologist said it could related to nerve problem in his bladder. In October he had his implants removed this was last resort. In November his headaches come back for few 3 weeks again. His bladder problems went away for 3 weeks which is strange but now symptoms has come back again and now having pain in his legs and spine. Are you experiencing are anyone on her still having strange symptoms after having Implants removed? Thinking he has metal toxcitity and should be tested. Worried Mom!
My son also been having anxiety and panic attacks too! He had his implants removed Oct. 2014. I am praying we get answers soon and hoping from other patients experience we can get to the bottom on what is going on!
Sorry about what your son is going through.Some people take longer to heal, but I am surprised he has not made more recovery by now. Does he have any mercury fillings in his mouth?

He should first be optimizing his diet and nutrition, seeking advice specifically for environmental toxicities and improving immune status in that regard. He may at some point want to look into environmental medicine and environmental, mercury and metal toxicity, if after a few more months, he is still experiencing all these new symptoms. Methylation and chelation are two kinds of therapies often employed in that case.
My son doesn't have any mercury fillings. My daughter is also a dentist and 2 years ago she found out she had Mercury toxcitity from taking Mercury fillings out of patients. She is better now with the help with naturopathic Dr.  She also wears a special mask to protect her to remove fillings. She only uses ceramic fillings in her practice. She wants him to come to Colorado to see her Dr.  I Iand my daughter just feel his symptoms is caused by metal Toxcitity. My son has so much anxiety thinking he has Mutiple sclerosis. He also been having leg and back pain off and on this week. Thank you for your concern and all your information. How are u doing since your implants removed?  
I have written several posts about my son. He had his implants removed in March 2013 from the oral surgeon who put them in.  He had them remove October 2014. He is still having symptoms.Please read my posts. He had so much anxiety thinking he has MS. I thought his symptoms would get better after implant removal. I'm thinking he has metal toxciity. What would u recommend my son to do? Thanks!
I am going to take a guess that it may be his body reacting to metal toxicity. I too feared greatly I had MS as it felt as if I did. All tests were negative. Once my implants were removed it took about 2 years to completely return to normal. I had to restore balance to my body again. I did so through diet and repairing my gut and other things. Given the fact your son was fine prior to implants and troubles came afterwards is a sure sign it was the implants. Is he seeing any doctors that practice functional medicine?    
Thank you responding to my posts and encouraging words. My son hasn't been tested for metal toxcitity. Did u get tested? He had a MRI  last week and came back normal. The neurologist is ordering a spinal tap this week. What kind diet where u and how did u repair your gut? Did u have diagnostic tests to rule out What kind of Dr. Did u see one who specializes in immune system? Im sorry for all the questions. I'm praying my son will get back to normal like you have.
I stopped before the spinal tap because I knew if I did in fact have MS I would work to heal it naturally .I have seen many doctors, chiropractors, Holistic MD's and Functional Med cine MD's. The best conclusion I can offer is our body is a delicate ecosystem and there are many factors at play (toxins everywhere, vaccines, pollutants, GMO foods, mercury and other metal poisonings... )  I believe for me and others getting the titanium implant was the straw that broke the camels back. So... what I did and others I know in my situation was read all we could on safely detoxifying the body and bringing our body ecosystem back to fully functioning through diet, stress reduction, supplements etc. I am happy to share resources with you if you would like to email me. terrybrown12 at aol *******.      
Thank you so much for your message and for coming here to share your knowledge and experience! I specifically tried to find a doctor who has these new tools for removing the implant as safely as possible and even though I've lived there in California and that location could be possible for me, I will proceed with the plan to get it done here in Europe. I've already booked the flights and hotels and I do have every reason to believe this doctor is also a very good choice, as I'm certain you would be as well. But I sure know there aren't many of you. I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of more questions:

You mentioned that some people's bodies destroy the tissues around the implants. I've had the implant for 12 years and nowadays the gum around the implant has been "eaten" so the screw can be seen quite clearly. Do you think this is part of what you mean?

My titanium implant will be removed in less than two weeks so what would you recommend for bone grafting if that's needed? I was told it could be synthetic calcium bone, bovine bone mixed with natural bone (from myself) or just my own bone.

Thank you so much!

Most of the implants I have removed have looked very good at the implant site.  I do not see as much tissue degradation as you would think or expect. I In fact, almost all of the implants that patients report to have caused systemic problems do not exhibit any tissue destruction at all.  That is partly why it's such a mystery.  You can have two different patients with the same implant and the same tissue profile but have very different effects overall.
You mention that the gum has eroded away exposing the screws.  This is NOT what I am referring to.  The gingival recession is seen in many implants as well as natural teeth and is a different process than the macrophagic tissue destruction I mentioned in a previous post.

As for the bone grafting, I'm a fan of the synthetic calcium bone if used properly. I would shy away from using your own bone as that creates more trauma at a different site in your body and is really not needed.  
Thank you so much for your response. Do you know a way that we can find "documented" evidence of this? My oral surgeon says he can't find that, and I am not sure why. I have read plenty of anecdotal stories about it where there is no problems at the site, but he says he can't find documented cases. He is in agreement with removing my implant and it will be done on March 11th. It would just put his mind at ease if he could see proof or evidence that would suit him. Thanks again for your help.
This is all really just coming to the light so there is not much documentation anywhere on any of the problems of titanium implants. You should direct him to this site where he can read the multitudes of stories, with very few having issue at the site of implant. Reading these stories should ease his mind at removing your implant.  
Terry thanks again for all your input. He's been doing a lot of reading and contacting colleagues, and I think his willingness to do the removal comes from seeing a lot of this. He is convinced there really is legitimacy to all this. Like him, I'm curious why there's not more documentation when there are so many stories of removals, and the removals helping so much. He's commented on being surprised at the lack of documentation, but I'm sure that will come along in the near future.
Encourage him to be the first one to document. Dr Mehta, you too! :)
He's already said he's going to make a case study out of my situation and write an article about it. He's taken quite an interest in the whole thing, very interested in my well being first and foremost. He's been open minded the whole time and willing to consider all possibilities from the very beginning, even though this is all new to him.
I'm not sure there are any documented cases in the literature.  The stories most doctors like myself have are from patients we've treated and from patients such as the ones on this website.  For example, I have a patient that just got treated and 90% of the symptoms she had have resolved after 2 weeks post-treatment with the treatment being removal of 2 titanium implants. She had the problem for a few years and after the implants were removed, things have been improving.  I would love the write a paper on this but, the community is frankly not quite ready to hear this story.  Not only that, since the symptomology is somewhat subjective, it's hard to document.  Hope that makes sense!
It makes total sense to me, and again I really appreciate you taking the time to come here and answer questions. It's a shame people aren't ready for the story, because I believe more and more people are having implants done, especially knee and hip, and are going to be vulnerable to these monstrous problems, without having any clue in advance the risk they were taking.

I have asked my oral surgeon to contact you via email. He is removing my dental implant on March 11th. He plans to bone graft the hole so we can place something else down the road. He's not comfortable yet with zirconium or porcelain, he is afraid they are too brittle and prone to chipping and breaking. It's my understanding you feel differently about that. If you could convey that to him I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to consider going ahead and placing a zirconium implant on the 11th at the same time we remove the titanium one, if that is possible.

Thanks again, I can't express enough how much I appreciate it.
Dear Everone,

I am blown away by my experience right now. We had to postpone my removal operation, so it was done now on the 26th of February in Salzburg, with a new "unscrewing" tool. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. ALL MY SYMPTOMS ARE GONE. The operation itself was not more than 5 minutes...plus the injection etc.
My titanium implant was in the left 5th position. Last year March it was put in. 3 days after, I thought I was having a stroke or something because walking on the street all of the sudden my head became heavy, somehow towards the left side, and a kind of dizziness followed, and of course enormous panic which was somehow natural with these kind of experiences. Fear of death.I went to doctors after doctors. Only in August had I realised all of the sudden: ahh, this all started after the implant had been put in!!!And then it took me this long to find someone to take it out. Then other symptoms followed in this period of time: bad digestion, acidic stomach, fatigue, dry mouth, suffocating feeling on the neck or in the throat (this I could lessen a little bit that I stopped using fluoride toothpaste), and of course lethargy. THIS IS ALL GONE NOW, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT.
BUT: I think my homeopathic treatment that I started in November helped a lot in the meantime. I went to a homeopathic doctor and He could test that the meridian that is weak in my case is exactly the METAL meridian!Lung and the big intestines. But he said this was weak even before. Which I could agree to, because I did have candida problems ten years ago. And guess what: he said that in Chinese Acupuncture, this 5th left position of the titan implant is exactly the intestines. So I guess, that the somewhat subjective symptoms in patients like us is the result of this, that every tooth is in a specific Acupuncture point.
So the Homeopatha hoped that maybe we can strengthen my meridian and then my body would be able to accept the titanium. OH, but it didn't. It was clear it had to come out. But I followed his advice and treated myself in the meantime. I had to take Fortakehl D6 for my bowels for a fortnight, then Candida Albicans D6 for a month, Probiotics, I also got Bach Flower Remedy for the soul level, Pulsatilla Globuli, and Zinc..And in the past few weeks before the operation I just started to take Kurkuma (Turmeric) which is good for inflammations in the body, and helps to take out the metal ions from the system.
This radical change now might also be because I had already been working on my body before they took it out this Thursday.
I cannot express how happy I am!One year of hell, and pulling myself together in the midst of lethargy to fight and find a surgeon. I thank you all for your postings, it gave me hope. I thank all the people who helped here around me.
And now, as I promised myself before, I am going to start writing. First a blog in Hungarian, English and Gerrman to help the people like us! I want to help, so that my suffering was not in vain....and to tell everyone that there is hope!
When my blog is ready I will post it here too.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need support, or have questions!
And I greatly welcome Dr Metha!!! I am very happy you are on this forum too.
All my love
Adrienn
What WONERFUL NEWS!!!
I am soooo happy for you!!!
Congratulations, that's fantastic news.
Thank you so much for your reply! Okay, it's good to know that having the gum "eaten" by the implant is nothing too unusual. However, it does seem strange to me that in every other place my gum is pretty much perfect, but the place in front of the screw has changed so much throughout the years.

Also thank you for your comment on the bone graft material! Before seeing your message I'd done some research on my own and I'd come to the same conclusion, the synthetic material seems like a pretty good choice.
You might want to try MMS to help remove metal toxicity.It has helped many people.
I had the EXACT same thing as you. Same symptoms. Nothing around the implant. I was a mess- the symptoms worsened until eventually I developed a tremor and was an emotional wreck. I had my implant removed 4 months ago and I cannot explain to you the difference it made. I have my life back, it took a good 2 months to start feeling my old self and I am not fully recovered (still have some brain fog and some inflammation) but I have been on a herbal chelation course and I swear to you, month on month I am improving.Trust your instinct- remove that thing!
Thanks for your input, glad to hear you got better. I have it scheduled, the implant is coming out in 6 days. Absolutely no doubts in my mind at this point. The last three weeks all of my symptoms have gotten worse and worse, it is unbelievable how bad I feel at this point.
Thanks to all who have posted on this forum.    

I got a titanium implant almost two years ago.   When the healing abutment was installed a couple of weeks after the implant, I had a great deal of head pain and sensitivity afterward.   Since then I have had recurring ear pressure and chronic low intensity headache.   My head is always sensitive and hurts if I ever have to cough or sneeze...probably indicative of a constant state of inflammation.     I was always told that the implant itself and gum looks health, so it couldn't be the problem, but the timing of the symptoms correlates with the implant.    Eight different doctors consulted with no useful results.     MELISA test showed no metals allergy.   Just went to a new periodontist who sees from CT scan that there is bone loss around some parts of implant.    He said it might imply neuropathy which could be related to my symptoms and suggests that he do surgery to biopsy the tissue near the bone loss plus perform bone augmentation.   He thinks I should try this before resorting to removal of the implant which, he thinks, could cause further nerve damage.    

I would be most grateful to hear any additional advice from those who have had implants removed.   It sounds like some have improved and others not.
In my 4 or so  years here on this board I have not seen anyone not improve. Some improve right away others take time, like myself.
It is more than apparent to me that you will benefit from your implant being removed. All the best to you...
I am having my titanium implant removed on March 11th, and I believe the oral surgeon said he would be cutting the implant. I've had another oral surgeon tell me it shouldn't be removed that way because doing that could leave microscopic particles which can continue to produce the health problems I am experiencing. Do you have any advice on that matter?
Hi Everyone,
I'm another one who is in distress since having two dental implants done over a year ago, top and bottom, left side. My symptoms,  headache on left side only, disconnected type feeling, intermittent ache/throbbing at both implant sites, lightheaded, dizzy ish and fatigued, are getting quite unbearable and I have also had the run around by dental specialists, all of whom don't seem to understand the urgency I feel about getting these things removed. They seem to be concerned about doing more damage if they remove them. This leaves me feeling desperate and bewildered.
One dentist seems sure that it is a teeth grinding issue. ie stress related. Some of the symptoms fit with that but why has it coincided with having the implants placed? I've never had headaches daily, despite massive amounts of stress in my life. All the other symptoms are new to me too. I'm really worried about my health as every day/week it goes on I feel more worn down and I'm losing hope.  My implants are well integrated and show no problem at the site and show nothing amiss on any of the scans I've had done. That's why no one wants to touch them....
Thanks for any input, and best of luck to you all. ( I'm located in Australia)
Your experience with dentists is common. It is understandable that they are uncomfortable removing something that appears perfectly good, and I think it leads to reluctance to admit there is a problem with the implants when there is no visible cause for your symptoms. If you give them any reason to believe they might be right and that you are not sure of the cause of your symptoms, it only reinforces their uncertainty.

Be considerate of their expectations but firm in your desire to have them removed and your knowledge that your body does not seem to be tolerating them for some reason. Because most of us are not getting any visible local reactions it appears there is some kind of immune or autoimmune reaction other than an allergy going on.

A special tool that only some surgeons/periodontists possess will minimize damage. Hopefully you can find a dentist who has it and is willing to do the surgery. Maybe your regular dentist can find one. In my case it was a periodontist at a dental school who placed and removed them.

I was lucky that he was willing to remove them. Bone augmentation was used after removal, so I'm hoping it will not present any problems and will minimize the bone loss that was inevitable when they were removed, even with the tool.  

I am still in pain from having my two implants removed 5 days ago. The amount of pain and the way it's lingered surprises me. Aside from that it is too early for me to evaluate the effect on my health.
I had a dental implant put in last year and ever since I've had symptoms appear that I've never experienced:

excema
skin itching
partial numbness of hands and jaw
muscle weakness
joint pain
severe anxiety and panic attacks (on and off)
waking up in panic at night, sweating

I've visited the dentist who put the implant in and he said that he had only heard of issues with the implants as anacdotal and the implant site looks perfect. He said that an oral surgeon could remove the implant, but they'd have to cut it out (drill all around the implant in the bone) to remove it.

And my doctor (naturopath) has said that the titanium should not be causing a problem so treating me in different ways.

I appreciate all of the stories here and have great hope in reading that so many people feel better after having them out. And that this may not just "all be in my head!"

If anyone knows of a doctor/surgeon in Oregon or Washington that can remove the implant with the method that I keep reading about here - by unscrewing the implant - I would be incredibly grateful for any contact information you can provide.

Thank you so much!
My naturopath told me the same thing and we did everything to get my body back to normal. All we did helped alot but still needed the implant removed. I gave it a good two years of pure diet, prayer,exercise,many supplements. Still had issues. :( Just telling you so maybe you won't waste many dollars and time like I did.    
Thank you Terry! Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I don't want to waste any more time feeling like this. The anxiety is awful! I'm looking for a surgeon and hopefully I'll be able to move forward with this quickly.

My implant removal is still on schedule for March 11th, two more days. The oral surgeon is going to be cutting the bone around the implant. He won't be cutting the implant or doing the trephine method either one. So I am comfortable with it. The bone around the implant is in great shape so it should be fine. He will do a bone graft in the removal hole so that I can have some other type of implant placed at some point in the future. My health is so poor for so many reasons and all the problems came on at the the same time after the implant, so I am really looking forward to the implant being gone.  
Thanks for your response and encouragement PT105. I hope that your pain settles very soon and you are able to report a good outcome. Despite all the stories I read here that tell of similar symptoms, I still doubt my own experience of what has been happening to me. Probably because it has been a slow, creeping set of symptoms and over time I have almost come to believe it is all in my head. I have adapted to it in a way, but having said that, I have accepted a very much reduced quality of life over the past year. Every time a dental professional resists/rejects my story I feel a little less sure of myself. The whole thing has taken an emotional toll as well as a physical one.
It is very reassuring to read stories of others who have managed to have the implants removed and are doing better afterwards. I hope I can add a success story too at some point in the near future.
Best wishes
My implant was removed today, everything went well. I will give it some time to see how things go, and then I will post an update when I have a handle on how things are going.
Great that you have had the implant removed successfully. I hope the recovery period goes well too. Look forward to hearing an update when you're feeling up to it.
I am having my implant removed on March 20th by Dr. Mehta in California. I'm so excited about having it out and looking forward to recovering my health.

I'm very grateful to everyone here for sharing your stories - it has really helped me feel that I'm definitely doing the right thing.

That's great news. I hope you're doing well and feeling better!
Your words echo exactly how I have felt -- random, seemingly unrelated symptoms occurring since I had my implant put in a year ago. And always feeling (and being told) that it is "all in my head."

I hope that you find someone to help you soon!
Thank you.
I'm off to see another dental specialist tomorrow. He's a maxillofacial surgeon.  I hope he will take my pain seriously and be prepared to take some action.
I wish you well. I hope the procedure goes smoothly and gives you relief.
I'm now in just my 4th day since the implant removal. The site is doing really well and I have almost no discomfort at all.

When I went into the removal I did not expect to be cured in 4 days. I had made up my mind that even if removal did not eventually solve my vast health issues, all of which had come on only after the implant was installed 5 months ago, it was still a wise overall health decision to remove it. I had read enough from people here and from the internet in general to believe that.

Now in the 4th day, I can say without and shadow of a doubt the I feel enough of an improvement already to believe removing the implant was a great decision. My fatigue level is unquestionably better, my muscle and joint pain is already better without a doubt.  I also am very aware that I have a long way to go in my recovery, but just feeling positive changes already is extremely encouraging.

I already intend to let every doctor and every allergist I saw know that they need to recognize these metal implants are a real issue for certain people. The thought was completely dismissed by every one I saw expect my oral surgeon. I even gave printed material and articles to some of them to read, and when I went back later they obviously had not looked into it.

I realize this is probably due to the fact that such a large percentage of metal implants overall are completely successful and never cause any issues. But I find it negligent to not be open to the possibility that for a very small overall percentage of people it's a pure living nightmare.  

Thanks to all the people here who have written about their problems, it helped me stay strong in my belief that the implant was probably the problem and needed to come out. I don't feel like any of us can guarantee anybody it will cure everybody who has it done. But I was going crazy wondering if it was the problem for me, and it feels wonderful to see such undeniable signs already that I feel these positive changes and am on the right track now.

Good luck hwin44, I hope everything goes well for you.
This is such fabulous news!! I'm so happy for you and glad to hear that you're already recovering.

Thank you for sharing this -- it makes me feel more excited about having my implant removed on Friday. And even more confident in my decision to have it removed.

I look forward to hearing about your healing journey. Thanks again!

Hilary
Thank you so much! How did your appointment go with the maxillofacial surgeon?
I don't know what to think of my appointment with the maxillofacial surgeon. He was very friendly but certainly did not believe the implants needed to come out ( after seeing the xray.) I hardly had a chance to talk. I did hand him a typed letter that I had written about my whole implant history and why I wanted them out. He feels certain I have a TMJ type disorder and has given me a mouth guard to wear at night. I'm prepared to give it a try but in the mean time my condition is worsening and I am scared. I don't know what to do next, other than follow his directions and see if it helps. I feel very unwell and I'm still on the dental merry go round.....
and I'm doubting myself again.
Thanks for telling your 'removal story'. It is very encouraging to hear what you've experienced. It sounds very promising. I feel the same in that I think I would feel better having them out just so I would know, otherwise I will continue to have this nagging suspicion that it is implant symptoms but just have no proof.
Thanks, and I felt even better yesterday. Long way to go, but feeling these improvements is great. They are so obvious there's no question they are real, and it is a fact that the implant was the problem for me.

Best of luck and I hope we are reading good news from you very soon.
Up until about a week or so before I had it removed it seemed like I was going through a nonstop mental battle trying to decide whether or not to have the implant taken out, I probably changed my mind back and forth about hundreds of times in the course of 2-3 weeks. I think it was the fact that I finally read enough stories where it turned people's health around to believe it was the right decision to take it out, and during the last week I never wavered one time. I was actually excited when the time came, like a little kid on Christmas morning. Like you said, I was feeling SO bad and did want to live with the lingering nagging suspicion that it was the implant. I finally decided what the heck, the only thing it would really hurt is my wallet and a sore mouth for a while if I removed it and it turned out NOT to be the implant.

I can't say that I think anybody out there should definitely have their implant(s) removed, because we just don't know that for sure. But I would encourage people to not let doctors opinions be the reason why they don't have it done, because they don't know any more than we do about it. Very few people in the medical field realize there is a real issue with this.
I would also like to add something that Dr. Mehta, who I have the utmost respect for, wrote in an email to my oral surgeon, and then forwarded to me:

"As I tell ALL patients, titanium implants have proven themselves over time and since millions of implants are placed each year with no problems, the likelihood of everything going well is very high. However, as we know with material science, we cannot exclude the possibility of a reaction which we don’t understand and as such, if the patient starts complaining of systemic health issues that coincide with implant placement, it is something that we cannot ignore.

I have talked to several researchers on the subject and the current belief is that most of the reactions are not allergic in nature. True allergies are scientifically measurable via a MELISA test or such and since the reaction to titanium is not always a true allergy, it may not entirely be measurable.  This ultimately is a problem.  The current belief is that there is a macrophagic tissue reaction at the titanium dioxide / bone margin which is causing some people problems."

Maybe this is some information that people could take to the doctors and dental associates who are telling them that their implants are not the problem. Every bit of information might help.
I totally agree rowdybuddy." What the heck" is also what I think. I'm also not worried about the money or the procedure. My biggest problem is finding a specialist to do the job (and to be civil about it) I cant seem to convince anyone how bad things are for me.
There is only so much a human being can endure. Im near the end of my rope.

Thanks also for including the letter from Dr. Mehta. I may well show it at my next appointment.
I agree with you about telling others what to do in regards to removal. Its a very personal decision and everyones circumstances are different.
Yes, I think Dr. Mehta made some very important points there. Doctors should not ignore what's going on or rule out possibilities. Just because it's a rare circumstance doesn't mean it's not real. My oral surgeon is very experienced and I was the first patient he has ever had that showed no signs at the site, but needed the implant removed. At first he seemed leery, but at that point I also did not think the implant was my problem. When I went back to him with some info he was open to the possibility, and he started looking into things and making phone calls. He said you can never say never, and I think that's the right approach. But doctors seem to want to stick with what normally works, especially when it works 99.9% of the time. But they should be open to other things when something goes wrong for the 0.1% of us.
I am so delighted that you are doing better!!

I also want to add to the conversation that many that have implants may be having issues and not even relating them to the implant. I would say the success rate is not as high as 99.9.
If I had not had a second implant put in and gotten ten times worse than I was I would never have connected my MS type symptoms to the implant.
Even when implant two went in and I became so ill it still took me a long time to come to the conclusion that is was my implant.

My dentist that helped me get my implant removed has many stories of people don't connecting their health issues to their implant.
One story he told me of a woman who told him her husband had a tooth knocked out at work. He got an implant. He slowly became lethargic and depressed. One year later at work the implant was knocked out! (I don't know where he worked!!) The man decided to not have it replaced, sure enough with in weeks of the implant coming out his personality returned to what it was prior to the implant.

Just thought I'd share as I really do not believe titanium implants are good for anyones body.

Hwin 44, I am excited for you. I will send you an email soon!

Yes those are excellent points. For all we know the number could be 70% or more, who knows how high, we just have no way of knowing. It could be everybody or at least most people who have had metal implants are being bothered by them in some adverse way, to varying degrees from person to person.
Thanks for the anecdotal story about the woman's husband.
I would say that lethargy and depression are two of my main symptoms (along with the headaches.) I have a history of depression but having said that, I've never felt this bad before. This is a whole new level of incapacitation.
"This is a whole new level of incapacitation."

My lethargy, weak muscles and terrible joint pain had gotten that way the last 4 weeks. I was almost bedbound. I could not stay awake more than 2 hours, and during those hours I was awake I felt horrible. I would pass out and sleep 15 minutes to an hour, wake up for two worthless hours and pass out again. Cycle went like that for four weeks.

The day after I had the implant removed I was awake for 7 hours and actually got some work done. On the 4th day after removal I was up for 10 hours straight and able to do some things. I was up 12 hours yesterday, which was the 7th day. This has been the most shocking change for me since the removal.
wow! :))))))))
Hi Everyone!

After four flights and one dental surgery yesterday, I can happily report that my implant is finally out! I flew down to Orange County to see Dr. Mehta and back (to Portland, Oregon) after the procedure. The procedure was incredible – he really has created a “best in class” procedure for removing titanium implants and I am blown away.

It took a bit of time (maybe 30 minutes?), and it wasn’t painful at all, with the exception of the numbing injections (I’m not great with needles, and that’s always hard for me). I am not in much pain at all, only taking Advil at this point.

Today is day 1 for me without the implant and I woke up this morning and for the first time in months, I wanted to get out of bed. I felt a feeling that I didn't realize that I'd lost - something like joy mixed with motivation - I always used to feel that, especially on a beautiful and fresh Saturday morning, and I haven't in many months. Ready to take on the day. Not dragged down by some toxic exhaustion -- the best way that I know to describe it.

I slept well, didn't awake multiple times during the night with severe anxiety and my body feeling like it's vibrating (again, best way that I know to describe it). I'm sure that I'm also feeling relieved because this nightmare is over, but there is definitely a very real physical component!

As I explained this morning to someone, I feel like the proverbial frog in boiling water, I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I woke up this morning and felt drastically better.

One thing that I didn’t realize, that Dr. Mehta explained to me, is that my implant (as are all titanium implants, I believe) was coated with titanium dioxide. I feel like I keep hearing that the implants are “pure titanium.” If there is titanium dioxide in anything (toothpaste, coconut milk coffee creamer) I feel nauseated after using it, so I avoid it.

Also, when Dr. Mehta. removed my crown, a little piece of it was broken inside – and it had been allowing bacteria and food to get in. So that wasn’t good for my system, I’m sure.

I’m only on day 1, and I realize that I have a ways to go, but I know with 100% certainty that my implant needed to come out. All of my symptoms are definitely not gone, and it will take some time, but this is a fabulous first day. Just wanted to let you all know.

Rowdybuddy – I’m so happy to hear that you’re feeling so much better! Fantastic news! It’s given me courage to read about your progress before my own implant removal surgery. I look forward to reading more and more great news from you!

Thanks everyone! Hilary
Wow what great news, I'm so happy for you. I can identify with a lot of the things you said. For the last six weeks prior to my implant removal, I can honestly say that on a scale of 1-10 on how I felt, I felt like a 1 every single day. Aside from the extreme fatigue, muscle and joint pain and many other problems, my brain was extremely foggy. I could not focus on anything, think straight, carry on a conversation, and I had absolutely zero motivation to even get out of bed. And I have never had any problems in that regard whatsoever.

Since the removal, now 10 days ago, I've had days where I can say I felt as good as a 5 or a 6 already, which blows my mind, I did not expect that this soon in my wildest dreams. I have a long way to go with a lot of issues, I've still had a few days I would rank as a 3 or a 4, and I expect to have some ups and downs as my system recovers and balances back out.

I'm very clear headed and have no lack of motivation at all already, and I am thrilled to death with what has happened so far. Like you said, there is absolutely no question in my mind this was a very real physical problem, not just some crazy thoughts in my brain.

Congratulations again on feeling positive changes so quickly.
Hi everyone,

I'm just writing quickly that I had my titanium implant removed ten days ago. Everything went pretty smoothly, but the titanium implant had been installed too close to my sinus (it was already seen at the initial X-ray) and unfortunately my sinus got perforatehttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/new/1252386#d during the process. This is turn meant a sinus lift and a lot of stitches. I can only hope that this won't cause any long-term problems.

As the gum in front of the implant had been eroded the dentist took some material from my palate to have the gum fixed. This caused a huge swelling (that was extremely sore) in the palate and yesterday I was forced to see a dentist, who perforated the swollen part and thus managed to make it smaller. Now I feel that part is finally beginning to heal properly. I took a corse of antibiotics (7 days) and was given another one, but I'm hoping to avoid it as the antibiotics are not good for fighting candida.        

So because I've had pain here and there (palate, implant, gum and sinus) I've had some trouble sleeping and thus can't tell yet if the operation has made a big difference or not. I do feel that since the operation I've felt calmer (almost not anxious at all) and "more normal" than before removing the implant, but I need to wait a bit more to be sure it's not placebo effect or just relief from having the implant taken out.      

But I do have to say that I am very happy I got this done, I will be even if it makes no difference in the way I feel. Due to other changes I've already made such a big difference in my health and I believe this was a natural and necessary step during this process of healing.

I think the doctor was very good and the good thing about the operation was that he managed to get the old implant out with no further bone loss. But as I said, until yesterday my mouth has been on fire and hasn't let me sleep properly, so I'll give it some time now and report later on my progress. So far I'm feeling positive and as I said I do have a strong feeling that something has changed in me, even if it may not be like a miracle cure some people here have reported. Thank you again for all the support I've received here!

Hi again,

I'm so sorry for the link in my previous message! I don't understand how it got into the message. I even read my message through before posting it so the link had to get there at the very end. As there is no way of editing the message I can only apologize and hope that the moderator would kindly remove it from my post!
Wow, sorry to hear you have all that going on, best of luck with everything and I hope we're reading good news from you in the near future.
Thank you! Also congratulations on your progress, I sure hope and believe that by time you will make an even bigger progress!

Yes the first nine days were quite tough, but as I said it's much better now so I'm feeling positive. Last night was the first one I managed to sleep without the crippiling pain in my mouth, so already that is a step I now appreciate :)  
Many of the messages on this board strongly suggest that the Ti implants are causing us problems through changes in our immune systems.   I am getting my implant removed in about a week and am planning to document a number of immune markers before and after removal.     However, I need to pick and choose which immune markers to measure.  I would be most grateful if any of you who have had tests done could share with me suggestions.    I am not talking about Melisa, which tested negative for me, but measuring such markers as ANA, interferons, immunoglobins...    Has anyone documented unusual levels of any of these cytokines during the time you had your implant?
That seems like a great idea. I did not specifically have any tests done for those things. I did have blood drawn twice during the 5 months when my implant was in, for other reasons. As far as I know none of these things were checked. I have no clue, but do labs ever save blood samples for any possible future testing? One time I had blood drawn was at a hospital ER due to hives and severe swelling one week after the implant was installed. The second blood draw was at an endocrinologists lab/office.

I'm at day 14 and still improving. Even though I fluctuate some from day-to-day and even sometimes during a given day, it's safe to say I am at about 40-60% of my old self now. After feeling like I was 0-10% for the last 4-6 weeks before the removal.  
Thank you rowdybuddy!

I'm definitely still feeling better and seeing some improvements. Today is day 5 without the implant for me. Still not having any anxiety, which is remarkable, because I had some sort of anxiety almost all the time for the entire year that I had my implant in.

I'm still on antibiotics, and I never feel well on antibiotics, so I'm looking forward to gauging things once I finish them, next week.

I'm so glad to read that you're continuing to improve. 40-60% of your old self - that's so incredible!
Studiotea, so glad to hear that the pain is lessening and I hope you're starting to feel better!
That's a good idea if the right marker(s) could be known. I'm not sure that's the case. Maybe this will help you decide:

Background: My situation is unusual in that I had been ill with post-viral CFS for many years at the time of my first implant, around 2000. Although many new symptoms started developing after that relative period of time, there was less of an immediate or clear direct cause and effect in my case than for those who were perfectly healthy before their implants. For that reason I never suspected it at that time, and for that reason after it failed 12 years later and had been removed, I had two more placed last year.

(They were removed three weeks ago and I've been holding off posting my experience because it's taken me so long to recover from the surgery and travel involved that it's been hard to assess.)  

It was not until around 2010 that my ANA and IgG1 began showing abnormalities indicating autoimmunity and immune deficiency. My IgM is in a hyperactivated state and there were smoldering indications of that at least by 2006. I don't remember when C3 began turning up low, whether it was then or after. My immune functions were not tested at all before late 2006. My IgM went up further after placement of implants last year and my IgG (total, sub-classes not measured) went down more.

Judging from results of my immune function tests, if I were to choose a single test to do before and after implant removal it would be IgM. I wouldn't have great hopes of it showing anything, but who knows? If you decide to test anything I would leave a good amount of time after removal for your immune system to settle down first.
Thank you for the information.   I was a little surprised that so little testing seems to have been done for our group.   My doctor today said it's because the immune markers are often only changed locally at the site of the problem.  However,  it seems worth a try.   I hope you can see improvement from your removals soon.  
Glad to hear you are still improving too.

I am around 50-60% still but I can tell I'm slowly improving. I assumed this would take awhile before I had the implant removed, and I can see it is going to be an ongoing process. As messed up as I was, I am not surprised. The only surprise was the initial quick turnaround in the first two weeks.

Take care and best of luck with your continued recovery.
Hello Dr. Mehta and everyone on this site!

I am new here and wanted to thank you all for the enormous amount of information for over the years.

I am writing on behalf of my mother who doesn't speak English and I am very concerned about her health. She is 65 years old and had two titanium implants placed in her jaw about 1,5 months ago. Both procedures went smoothly and the implants seem to be completely healed, no signs of inflammation in the mouth.

After the second implant though, she started to have shooting pains on the side of head where the second implant is. The pain is usually present in the jaw, in the ears and other parts of the head but not directly at the implant. According to her dentist everything looks fine.

She also also started to develop periods of dizziness and muscle weakness that effects her legs and arms. Yesterday she started to feel very unwell in the car, had severe nausea, numbness in in the arms and legs and her hands had a period of muscle spasm when she couldn't open or close the fingers for about 10-15 minutes. She felt so weak that also couldn't not get out of the car.  

She was taken to the ER and they kept her in for 24 hrs but nothing was found. She is also having tremors and signs of anxiety. Prior to the implants she always had a generally good health, never any major problems.

As I have read through some of the comments at the beginning of this site, I have realized that there were others with same / similar symptoms due to titanium implants. I have recommended her to think about their removal and thankfully her dentist offered that he would do it if it comes to that.

But I would really appreciate your opinions first. There seem to be a community here very well educated on these titanium issues. I twisted whether having her going through all kinds of medical tests that can last for months and might not even bring any results or just go ahead and remove these implants as soon as possible. Certainly 90% of these problems are present since they are in, and they seem to be getting worse.

Dr. Mehta - If we go with the option of the removal, I am concerned about the technique that is going to be used and want to advise her talking to the her dentist before he does it. I do understand from your comments that some procedures may leave tracks of titanium in the jaw and hence not solving the problem. I wish I could fly her over to you to the US but she is living in Europe and it is not an option.

Can you please recommend me what it is that I should be asking the dentist and what kind of techniques are being used that are safe in this regard. For your answer I am very thankful in advance!

studiotea, who has posted here recently before and after implant removal, is in Europe and knows of a good dentist there who can remove them properly. You might try private messaging him/her.

You are doing the right thing in directing your mother to have the implants removed. I wish her good luck.
Vow!!! I am so happy for you!
Just like in my case...My implant was removed one month ago. The dizziness immediately ceased...and now my whole body is recovering...If my body could talk! It is really happy...it is jumping around...
Ahh I must tell everyone!
now that I have been jumping around in happiness and relief for a month, it is time to write my blog! I will write it in Hungarian, English and German.

:))))
Thank you for your reply and support PT105, I appreciate it!
Im still on my quest to have 2 implants removed.
My health is deteriorating. Saw the maxillofacial surgeon for the second time yesterday. He was not the one who put them in so he was not overly defensive. He did warn that to remove them will do quite a bit of damage to the bone and was generally steering me away from that. That scared me and I don't know whats true any more. It seems like some of you guys have had removal done without major issues to the jaw bone. Am I correct?
Feeling scared and alone......
The surgeon evidently does not have the right tool to minimize damage and wants you to be prepared for the loss of more bone than would occur when you lose a tooth.

If it's not too much trouble and expense, you should try to find a surgeon who can remove them with the special tool. Maybe the surgeon you've consulted could help locate one or maybe you could contact the dental society in your area or your regular dentist to find one.

If you decide to go ahead with the surgeon you've consulted already instead, you can ask him about bone grafting. Maybe Ti_Removal_doc has an opinion on whether it's better to wait or can be done at the time of removal.
Don't worry! I am in your position too, so don't feel alone and don't feel scared. You have the support of a great and now experienced implant removal dentist who has had proven success, which has been reported directly in this forum. Anecdotal evidence in these cases can be very valuable, despite their subjectivity. It all comes down to trust, and i trust what i read and the amazing results that everyone has had since opting for the removal.

It is always the priority of dentists to protect their interests and err on the side of caution when it comes to giving advice, and so they will tend to inform you of a worse case scenario. You should speak to Dr. Mehta for some reassurance, as i will be doing too, and perhaps he could be the one to carry out the procedure for you in such a way as to relieve as much anxiety as possible.

The body is an amazing healer you know. Despite my strong belief that my implant has led to a range of systemic issues, due to the VERY convenient timing, i was lucky enough to avoid a bone graft in the first place because my bone seemed to heal so quickly, that the experienced dentist of over 25 years was so shocked. This may have partly been due to taking good care of my teeth and the surrounding sites, pre and post procedure, through supplementation and a practice known as 'oil-pulling' which is excellent for pulling out toxins and reshaping and growing the gum tissue.

The body is an interconnected unit and we must look it at as so, from a holistic perspective. Nothing affected at one area of the body is likely not to have an affect on another, due to the nature of the meridian channels that define us at a subatomic, energetic level, beneath the physical. Whilst you make up your mind, as i am too, it is worth researching holistic healing methods such as diet and homeopathy, acupuncture to try and rebalance the meridians, and a course(s) of homeopathy to try and tackle the physical issue right at the deepest level, in an attempt to override it. Perhaps our body could adapt to the change, if we can overwrite the energetic signature blueprint which has been affected by the installment of a toxic chemical right in to one of the meridian sites. Each tooth corresponds to a different meridian channel, that can affect different glands, organs and bodily sites.

This may be a long shot, but i believe it may be possible to override, and am a big advocate of the plasticity of the brain and the body- in other words its ability to adapt and find new pathways. This could enable us to readapt to the 'new environment' of our bodies. I am an extensive researcher in to spiritual practices and holistic healing, have had some very useful advice from many experts in the past, and am now writing my own blogs and articles in these areas.

I actually managed to relieve some chronic IBS, COMPLETELY, that i had for a year, post implantation through the use of these methods, but have since developed chronic restless leg syndrome, characterized by intense tingling and crawling sensations in the legs whenever i am still, which has severely affected my sleep, energy levels and ability to concentrate. I will be trying acupuncture and some more homeopathy first, as well as iron and magnesium supplementation. If that fails, implant removal will be the only remaining choice, and i will be happy with that. Sometimes life throws challenges at us, but they can and they will be overcome. You have the strength within you so don't worry. The future is bright for both of us. I hope this helps.

If anyone reads this and gets this far and could possibly provide me with an estimate of how much the whole procedure of implant removal and instant zirconia replacement would cost, then i would be extremely grateful. Dr Mehta how much would you charge roughly for two implant removals and replacements in the upper jaw front region. I am from the UK, but would consider flying over to you for the procedure as i have a lot of trust in you. Might as well take a holiday whilst i'm at it as well, soften the blow and all that ;-).

And if anyone has opted for a replacement bridge instead, i would like to know how they feel about that. I know zirconia is extremely safer and biocompatible than titanium and the other components of the grade 5 alloyed implants, but perhaps it is best not to implant anything in a meridian site? Just a thought. I would have thought zirconia would be quite inert and act more similar to the original bone though, and your feedback seems to suggest that is the case. This is certainly the thoughts of Dr. Mercola as well, who gives some very useful advice about this topic and is getting, or now has zirconia implants himself.

i hope to hear back from some of you guys! Thank you
There is a way to prevent any damage to the bone but it is very technique sensitive.  Oral surgeons will usually want to trephine out the implant. This means drilling away the adjacent bone thereby loosening the implant which then basically comes out. This is NOT what you want to do.  Your problems may be shared by many on the board so I bet you're not as alone as you think.  Dr. Mehta
The decision to place a Zirconia implant at the time of removal of the Titanium implant depends on several factors.  The removal of the Titanium implant can be done in such a manner to NOT involve any of the adjacent bone so that once the titanium implant is removed, you can actually visualize the thread pattern in the bone from where the implant was removed.  Depending on the size of the implant that is removed dictates whether or not the Zr implant goes in.  For example, let's say a 3.6mm diameter implant is removed and there is enough bone thickness in the area.  Then, a 4mm Zr implant can be placed easily enough with excellent success.  However, let's say a 4.1mm implant is removed perfectly. The Zr implants come in 3.6mm, 4mm, and 5mm.  If there is not enough room (thickness) to place a 5mm Zr implant at the 4.1mm removal site, a bone graft is a better option here as the 4.0 Zr implant is slightly too small to fit the 4.1mm size site. Hope that makes sense!
Thank you for your reply, Dr Mehta.

Because zirconia implants are still not widely used in the US, there will be other patients in the position I was in, where even had it been technically possible to place zirconia implants at the time of removal of my titanium ones, they are not used in the practice of the surgeon who removed mine, and so it was not an option.
Hi All! I found this thread after searching on the internet for a connection between autoimmune disease and dental implants. I had one placed a little over 6 years ago and have felt that my health has been deteriorating since. I experience skin, gut, and brain symptoms leading me to believe there is something off-kilter in my gut-brain axis which is mostly likely autoimmune in nature. My biggest complaint is the cognitive dysfunction, brain fog, and faituge that I get periodically throughout the day and am afflicted with some days for the majority. These symptoms seem to worse after I eat which makes me think I have constant inflammation in my body that has caused me to react to foods just like a Celiac patient would react to wheat for example. Since the dental implant i have developed allergies and/or sensitives to dairy and many other foods. I get regular abdominal pain, and despite that I have been on an autoimmune paleo protocol to quash these problems I have seen only minimal improvement in 6 months.

I am starting to think I want to get my dental implant removed and am looking around the US for doctors who have done this before and are familiar with the procedure that Dr. Mehta discusses. I would consult with Dr. Mehta, but I live in Virginia and so seeing a doctor on the East Coast is preferable as I can avoid costly plane tickets and such. studiotea mentioned a Doctor Kazeemi. Does anyone know if this is the same Dr. Kazemi that practices in DC and MD? If so, is he familiar with the technique Dr. Mehta describes?

Thank you all for such an elucidating and informative thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jeff Triska
Thank you for your thoughts on my situation. After mucking around consulting other highly skilled specialists in my area and getting nowhere, Im now at the point where I will just stick with my original periodontist and hope he will do the job for me. The ones who didn't put them in don't want to be the ones who take them out. ( as the implants are mechanically sound)
This process is so very tiring.
I will contact Dr Mehta to get his input.
Thanks.
It sounds like you have a lot of experience with natural healing methods and have also had a lot of symptoms to deal with.
I will be contacting Dr Mehta to ask his opinion. I hope we both find the best outcome, and the sooner the better.
Thank you for your advice and knowledge. I seem to remember the only conversation I had about removal with my periodontist was that he would drill up around it, which is exactly what you are advising against.
He seems to have performed this procedure on other people who come to him with failed implants? or badly placed ones? He cannot seem to get his head around removing one of his own perfectly placed and well integrated implants.
What you say about the size of the Zirconia implants makes perfect sense although I can't imagine wanting to put anything else into my jaw bone again after this nightmare.
Hi Dr. Mehta

I am interested in having my titanium implant removed and you seem to be very familiar with the least traumatic method of doing so. I posted a bit of my back story yesterday, but I live on the East Coast and am willing to fly to CA to have it done if you are interested. I am trying to plan for this procedure to get an idea of a timeline of when things would happen. For example, do you know how long it would take to get an appointment with you to have the implant removed if I called next week?

If you want you can email me at ***@****

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Best,
Jeff
Sorry about that. I guess you can't post emails so I will spell it out: jeffscott357atgmaildotcom
I would just like to make a general statement about replacing one or more removed implants.

I have had a fixed bridge for decades that I've been very pleased with. It was made for the loss of a single tooth and was done in the days before implants were so heavily pushed as an option, or, as with many dentists now, "the only" option. If a bridge would work where I had my titanium implants removed, I wouldn't hesitate to use one. They are far less risky than implants and have a much better history of longevity when made correctly and using quality materials.
I could not agree more with regards to a fixed bridge. I had mine for 6 years before my implant and other than it falling out 3 times in 6 years it was great (the cement does wear down and mine is a front tooth so used a lot of biting into things). After having my implant removed I had another bridge fitted and this one is of an even higher quality and feels even firmer- No one can tell it is not a real tooth (some people have even commented that it looks better than the implant).
Your new one sounds better. A well made crown or bridge should fit like a glove so that it doesn't depend on cement to adhere, but will remain in place unless suction is applied to it. Mine never came loose for that reason.

A badly made crown or bridge will wobble and fall off by itself when not glued in place and it will not fit into the gum line as it should. It will not even fit well when it's cemented in. It will fail in time because of the thickness of the cement, which isn't intended to be used excessively in that manner.
You both are correct and incorrect about the bridge.  Think about the mechanics of a bridge.  You are replacing a missing tooth by putting an anchor on the two adjacent teeth and then "bridging" the gap with a false tooth.  So, if you think about the mechanics, you are now putting the biting force of 3 teeth along 2 teeth so the pressure / forces are now elevated on the two remaining teeth.  This can and does pose problems in many patients. Not to mention the hygiene issue with bridges as it's very difficult to clean under the missing tooth (pontic) area.  This can create periodontal issues.  Trust me that for every good bridge, there are probably just as many if not more that patients hate.  Of course, considering the lesser of two evils, a bridge is definitely better for you if you have a negative reaction to titanium implants - no one will argue that. However, ceramic implants in my opinion are the best option if you are sensitive to titanium.

Hi. I had a tooth extracted and a titanium implant put in on Feb 2, 2015. I started getting a sour taste in my mouth, which then became horribly salty,  then bitter. I also had dry mouth. After 6 weeks, I asked the oral surgeon who "has never heard of such symptoms in 30 years" to remove it. He removed it on March 16. My symptoms have not entirely gone away. Some days its still salty, some days its sour. I still have dry mouth, but not quite as bad. I am having a bonded bridge made to replace the tooth. This is temporary for awhile until I can possibly get a ceramic implant. No one in my area is doing them from what I can see.  Removing the implant was fairly easy. Good luck to everyone.
I actually had a very salty taste in my mouth 24 hours a day shortly after my implant had been installed, and a very dry mouth constantly as well. At first my oral surgeon said it was common for the body to release salts into the mouth when it senses trauma or changes, as a healing mechanism. He said it usually lasted up to a month. It seems like the salty taste lessened some around the 4th month, but I still had it when the implant was removed. I am one month out from removal and I have not tasted that saltiness at all since the implant was removed.

Congrats on getting your titanium implant out so fast, great move.
Thanks for the message. I thought this salty taste and dryness would be gone  fairly quickly after removal, especially since it was only in for 6 weeks. Some days its better, then I relapse. My tongue wasn't stuck to the roof of my mouth when I woke up this morning, so maybe its improving. The other interesting thing is that I am allergic to a component in some eye shadows. My left eye (the one directly over the implant) got really red and swollen while the implant was still in.  One of the ingredients in most eye shadow is titanium dioxide, so perhaps that is what I am allergic to. I took a photo of both my eyes and showed it to my oral surgeon.He could see that the left one was very red.  It will be 4 weeks since the removal this coming Monday. Fingers crossed that these symptoms are gone soon!

I just wrote a long message, but I hadn't logged in and somehow the message was lost while doing so. Now I'm trying to be more efficient but tell pretty much the same things :)

As I couldn't have a zirconia implant installed where I live in Scandinavia, I went to Bulgaria to get it done. This dentist has a clinic in New York, but he travels to his home country a few times a year. I had talked to two of his customers and they told me very good things about him, and after reading some internet reviews as well I had made up my mind.

Anyway, I was very happy with him so I can really recommend him. To be honest I think he must be one of the best possible choices at least in the east coast as he's got excellent tools for removing old implants and he seems to know what he's doing. He speaks very good English so that shouldn't be a problem for sure.

I'll ask him first to make sure I can post his name here (I see no reason why, but I think it'll be polite for me to do so). So in the meantime, if anyone wants his name and contact info please send me a private message!  
Hello, my name is Mary and I am from Spain. Sorry if my English is not correct

I want to comment on my case. Wear 4 implants of titanium, has never liked carrying metal in the body, but thought there was another option.

I recently learned that there zirconium implants, metal free ... They are good experiences with these implants?

I'm experiencing a lot of fatigue, salty taste in the mouth, and I am very clouded mind, I can not think or concentrate.

I am very angry with my dentist for not informing me of this option ...

My questions are:

1. Wear implants for 5 months, I can take them off?

2. In case of removing the implants, accept my body again zirconium implants?

3. Anyone with zirconium implants, what experience do you have?

4. I wear implants are to replace eight front teeth, is all smile ... so I have very afraid, and I am very young, 22 years.

5. zirconium implants feel more natural? Because with titanium implants I do not feel unnatural, and when I bite'm very hard ...

6. zirconium implants let the energy flow? Because titanium implants destroy it.

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me ... It is very urgent.
Mary -  Energy flow problems will be the same, as far as my research tells, but minus the negative effects the titanium may be having on your immune system.

Dentists who don't do zirconia implants are probably not aware of the number of patients who are sensitive to titanium and there is no way of knowing who is and who isn't.

I am not aware of anyone who did not tolerate titanium having problems with zirconia. Everyone has been pleased with their zirconia implants that I have read about.

I had my titanium implants removed but have not yet had them replaced. Mine were in place for a little over 5 months when they were removed. It is easier to remove them sooner, but it can be done any time. It is best to find a dentist who has a special tool for minimizing bone loss. If you read the last page or two on this thread you will find information about this issue and answers to some of your other questions.

Zirconia implants are not likely to feel more or less natural than titanium.
Thanks, PT105 ...

Then, in his view, zirconium implants do not cause health problems? Because I have read that titanium can lead to cancer ...
I want to feel active, healthy again, as I was before ...
Hi, I got your message but can not access it again.
Please send me an email. It is eaiser for me to respond that way.
terrybrown12 a taol *******

Through my dentist and natural health care person, I am told that Zirconium allows the energy to flow. I am doing fine with mine.  
Thank you very much for your answer. I am very interested to talk to you, but I can not see your email address. If you can send it to me via PM I'd appreciate it very much.
Brand new to this forum.  Tried to post awhile ago, but it didn't work.  Won't make it so long this time, but want to see if this works this time.  I want to respond regarding Zirconia implants and my allergy to it.
Last post worked!!  

I have had a titanium implant for 8 years.  I also have Lyme Disease (for 27 years, first diagnosed as CFS and then Fibro).  Got a firm diagnosis of Lyme 3 years ago -- finally.

I am having awful problems for the last month or so.   Started having mild symptoms  8 years ago.  But I just thought it was Fibro (mostly tiredness).  Now I am sure the implant is shutting down my entire body.

I am planning to have the implant removed as soon as I possibly can.    I am planning to have it removed with the Neobiotech tool that I have seen discussed here on this forum.  

Only problem I have EXTREMELY allergic to Zirconia.  I had two dental bio-compatibility tests in the past and they confirmed this.  Test through Biocomp lab.  

My question is:  I have multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS).  When I get the implant extracted and I have a deep hole in my jaw and cannot put in another implant, what do I do?   I know I will react to any synthetic "bone" product put in there, or cow bone powder, and I don't have any bone to spare of my own.  I am not YOUNG anymore!!

Hi Everyone!

Like most people in this thread, I have been exploring every possible cause for my symptoms.  In late Dec 2014, I underwent a jaw surgery which included titanium plates and screws.  In the following days, I experienced night sweats and swollen lymph glands under my jaw.  Then I noticed numbness and muscle weakness in my right foot, following by progressively worsening tingling, buzzing, numbness, in both legs and arms.  I also have random joint/muscle pains, chills, and cold toes.  Does this sound like an allergy?  I don't have any visible rashes though.  I have been to my GP, 3 neurologists, and have done lots of blood work, MRI's EMG's and everything is coming back normal!  I have an appointment with a rheumatologist and oral pathologist this week.  I'm also planning to see a Lyme specialist just to make sure.  But after reading this thread, I think it could be a possible foreign body reaction to the titanium.  I am going to call the manufacturer tomorrow to see what exactly the parts are composed of.

Now my question for you all:  Does a negative MELISA test mean that you are NOT hypersensitive/allergic and therefore should not remove the metal?  I think I read somewhere of people removing it anyway and feeling better.  But the last think I want to do is have another unnecessary surgery.

Also, I don't have any symptoms at the surgery site.  This seems to vary by person.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!  Stay strong!
Thanks for bringing up this topic. I thought I was the only one around having teething problems. I have had an issue with my teeth for a long time and my condition is deteriorating and it’s becoming difficult for me to take a decision. I do not know whether I have an allergy towards Titanium implants and hence I am pretty confused as to what the next step should be. I do have sinus that can be classified as severe. Would it be helpful if I pay a visit to dentistry like Sierra Dental( http://www.sierracentre.com/ ) in Calgary. I need to be cent percent sure about going ahead with the implants treatment because from what I have read so far here, I do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. I hope things turn out to be otherwise.
I just found out today that my Titanium screws have 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium.  So when they say titanium, they mean MOSTLY titanium.  I'm not sure if I can wait another few weeks for a MELISA test result.  I am strongly leaning towards taking these out anyway.

I would strongly suggest a MELISA test.  However, even if negative, it doesn't really measure your body's reaction to the implant.  Lots of people improved significantly after having the implant removed.   There is lots of light at the end of the tunnel!
I feel incredibly grateful to have found this today.  A little about myself.. 17 years ago I had an implant introduced to my young, physically fit healthy body via a dental implant... Hit fast forward... Today I am a sick, weakened, auto immune disease ridden, allergic to everything, depressed mother of 3.  It recently occurred to me that it could be my implant and now I feel even more reassured that it is. I have decided to have it removed but first will do Melisa testing. I have started calling around in hopes of finding an implantologist who can provide this service and am very surprised at how many have refused the service even the consultation. I reside in Toronto, Canada.  If anyone reading this knows of a reputable professional please send me their info. Thanking you all so very much. I will be updating you all on my quest to heal and rid myself of this ticking time bomb.
Good for you, Crissy!  I think you are on the right path.  I hope someone on forum will be able to refer you to someone in your area to remove your implant!

ALL my health problems started right after getting two root canals.  Did not realize at that time that having a mouth full of mercury fillings certainly wasn't  helping either.    I had all that taken care of many years ago.  Still sick after 27 years, but Lyme is in the mix too.  I HAD two dental biocompatibility tests (which test for about 300+ materials that a dentist may use in his office) including materials for dentures, cements, all metals, etc. etc.  I showed up "negative" on Titanium and was feeling strong enough 8 years ago and let my "almost" biological dentist talk me into it.  I didn't have a computer at that time to check anything out.  

I started going downhill slowly but have suddenly reached the point that I haven't been able to care for myself very well, can only drive when I feel up to it.  My legs are cold and tingly all the way up, not just my feet.  I have developed what appears to be kidney problems, liver problems, scleroderma, severe eye problems (including 2 infections at the same time), problems with my cornea, increased tinnitus.  But the worse are the anxiety,  loss of sleep, getting dehydrated and then ending up in emergency to get IV drips.   The very worse is just not being able to think, period!!  My daughter is coming from out of state to help me get my affairs in order, just in case I have to move.  Having the implant removed will be the first priority.

I did read on one website that a man with scleroderma had his implant removed and the scleroderma disappeared.  I am very thankful that those here on this forum have finally found the ROOT of our problem, which is our fake ROOTS of our teeth!

I think you are definitely doing the right thing, Crissy, by pursuing this!!!   Keep up -- I'm sure you will find someone to help you.

Hi, Doctor Mehta:

My son is making an appt for me at one of your offices here in Southern California to have my titanium implant removed.

I have a couple of questions if you could please respond to:??

I am allergic to Zirconia (confirmed by a BioComp dental biocompatibility test a number of years ago.)  I have also had Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)  for many years now  Got my implant about 8 years ago, tested O.K. to titanium beforehand but I know NOT OK with it now!!!  Awful symptoms.

I am concerned about the "hole" left by the implant removal, and not able to do Zirconia implant; and am concerned about any artificial bone/calcium put back into the space and being allergic to that.  Also about developing bacterial infection in the cavity left by removal of the implant and not putting anything back in that "hole".

Sorry for all the concerns, but I have had fibro,chronic fatigue syndrome and possibly Lyme disease.  Disabled for 27 years and NOW THIS with the implant.  I am in my late 60's but suddenly realized that if I keep up at this pace, with all that has recently happened with symptomology from the implant, I will not be able to take care of myself much longer if I don't get it removed.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Jean

Please send me your email address.
Hi Everyone! It has been exactly 5 weeks today since I had my titanium implant removed, so I wanted to check in with an update on my progress.

I still have days that are better than others. If I put my body through too much stress (improper diet, too much exercise, not enough sleep, etc), then I definitely feel it (I'm a bit weak and tired overall for a day or two).

But for the most part, I'm about 80-90% recovered. The only symptom that is really lingering for me is a bit of an odd feeling (very slight numbness?) in my forearms and hands on and off, from time to time. And a little bit of eczema off and on.

My insomnia is gone, anxiety is back to normal levels (normal life stress), my well being is wonderful, blood sugar swings and blood pressure issues completely gone, skin itching almost nonexistent, jaw pain almost gone. My motivation is great and my mind is sharp and clear, whereas it was very foggy before the implant.

I also was shocked the first time I attempted cardio exercise after having the implant removed. My stamina had dwindled down to almost nothing and literally almost overnight it bounced back once the implant was gone. I'm able to exercise as much as I want to now! I'm really enjoying being active again.

I feel that I so much energy and motivation for the things that I love, and didn't realize how much of my zing had disappeared with the implant. I feel like I've gotten my life back, which is amazing.  

My husband made a comment last weekend that he hadn't seen me be hyper (I'm a pretty energetic person normally) since well before Christmas - I've had my implant since March of 2014, so the later part of 2014 was pretty rough for me. And he commented that now I'm back to my super-hyper, energetic self.

I've been reading through the recent posts and wanted to let everyone know that if I can answer any questions or talk with anyone about my experiences, I'm happy to - honestly. Some great people here reached out to me during the time that I was considering having my implant removed and I am forever grateful.

I realize that it is terrifying (or at least it was for me) to have these symptoms and try to make such a major decision. I'm always happy to talk to anyone and answer any questions that I can. If you'd like my email address, just let me know or send me a note here and I'll respond as quickly as possible.

Anyway, sorry about rambling on and thanks so much for all of your stories and ongoing support. This is such a wonderful group of people.

Hilary
Yay Hilary!! :)
Really happy for you Hilary, this is great news.

My recovery has continued to be remarkable, I am at the 6 week mark now and I am also about 80% back to normal and at times I almost feel like it's 100%.

The extreme brain fogginess I had experienced, which was beyond description, and the horrible fatigue and lack of energy/motivation are all completely gone. I am stunned at how alert and sharp my mind is again, this quickly.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to send me a message and I will be happy to do my best to answer them.  And once again, thanks to the people who were there to help me make my gut wrenching decision to remove my implant, like Terry Brown and Dr. Mehta and some others!
Great news Hilary. Thanks for sharing your progress.
I hope to soon be able to report similar health improvements. My periodontist has agreed to remove my two implants but a definite date hasn't been set yet. I expect it will be in a week or two.
The foggy thinking and the fatigue you describe are so awful. Its like moving though mud all day. Physical and mental mud.
I really hope I will see the sort of progress you have experienced. It seems out of reach right now but it is so inspiring to hear your story. People like you carry the hope for the others here who are still on the journey to wellness.
Thanks again
Implant experience is the worst experience in my life. I won't recommend it to anyone. I was turned into the walking antenna thanks them. Every sound, every vibration from the outside were going exactly into my brain. Anyone experienced something similar?
Dr Robert Marshall researched this and on his radio show said a titatium implant was like have a cell tower in your head.

By the way, Dr Marshall is the founder of QRA and  top of the line, pure supplements. You can google him to learn more.

He lives in Texas and has his dental work done here in Ca by my dentist,  Dr. Aguilera's and his implant work is done by Dr Mehta.  

I found this to be very impressive and it gave me confidence to have my work done by both Dr M and Dr A.  
I am just so happy to read all of these success stories!
It really makes me happy!

I knew once I had mine removed and had assurance it was the implants causing the problems, I had to share my story and be available to help others in need.

Looking back it was very a very scary time and I know exactly how you are feeling as I felt the same way.

I was blessed to find  Dr. Aguilera, a metal free dentist, that assured me that yes the implants could indeed cause problems. Then he referred me to Dr Mehta and he agreed to research and take the implants out for me.
Blessing for me that they are both about 5 miles from my home!
They are both kind and highly skilled. A combo that I love!!

My journey with these was a bit more complicated than most but all in all it worked out and I am healthy now and have a great smile to boot!

So I just wanted to say congrats to those with the courage to go forward and to those searching for a dentist, don't give up!  
As always feel free to email me. Those I have been in touch with know I am very busy so my reply emails are quick, but to the point.
I have met some wonderful people here and I love how Hilary, RB and Wendy and others are here to help anyone too.    
Support is everything!
I'm still on my journey. I don't know what is health anymore.
So Dr Marshal has the implants himself?
Yes he does(zirconium). I know what an expert and purist he is, I imagine I would not have put in another implant after the hell I went through without knowing that he tested and approved them and had one himself. He needed an implant for years and waiting a long time for the zirconium to be FDA approved here in the US. He talks about it on his radio show.

Hang in there. I feel you would have immediate relief once the implant is out.
I had found this forum earlier and I am posting to possibly help others.  I had a titanium implant put in back in August 2014.  I started have small hives and itching in September 2014 but did not relate the two.  By December, my body would break out in these hives and I could not sleep.  My PCP did a thorough exam and ran a slew of lab tests and ended up placing me on steroids (in addition to the antihistamines).  As I was leaving the office he asked "Have you had any dental work done lately?"  That's when we first starting thinking it was might be related.  Fast forward to multiple visits to the Allergists and visits to my dentist and periodontist - all who said it was not related to the implant.  At that point I was having waking up in the middle of the night with hives and the antihistamines were no longer working (I was weaned off the steroids). Based on that, the dentist and periodontist agreed to remove the implant.  The implant was well-integrated and I had not had any issues with it at all.  Removing this healthy implant would be a first for both of them (they had removed many that had failed).  I had it removed about 7 weeks ago.  The hives did not stop right away, although they did start decreasing.  I was not waking up in the middle of the night and I was able to cut down on the antihistamines.  As of right now I may have to take it once every other day, but as soon as I do any redness subsides and the hives do not come out.  I did not have any of the other symptoms the people on here discuss - weakness, foggy, etc - it was just pure hives and itching.  My advice is that if you have ruled out everything else, it may be a reaction to the implant.  Mine was 100% titanium and yet my body reacted. I appreciate my doctors listening to me and being open to move forward with something they were reluctant to do.  It has definitely worked out for me.
Thank you Terry!

Thank you Rowdybuddy! I'm so happy to hear that you're recovery is going so well. At times, 100% - that is beyond fabulous news!

Yes, you're right, the brain fog, the debilitating fatigue, lack of energy and motivation were so awful. I'm really glad that it's completely gone for you. It is for me as well, which completely surpasses my expectations of this process.

Eucalypt, thank you! I'm so happy that your periodontist has agreed to remove your implants. Yes, the foggy thinking and fatigue are awful. It is exactly like you say, like moving through mud all day. I understand what you mean when you say that feeling better feels out of reach right now. I felt the same way when I was going through the process of deciding to have my implant removed.

It's really hard to imagine any sort of light at the end of the tunnel when you feel so awful, so exhausted. I'm totally thinking about you and I hope that the date is scheduled quickly. I know that you'll feel much better once they're out!

Annable100, yes I did feel a vibrating sensation and I hated it. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and just feel like my body was vibrating. That symptom did go away almost 100% after I had the implant removed. I like what Terry Brown said about a "cell tower in your head." Yikes! Best of luck to you in your healing journey!

Sandmac24, UGH, the itching. It kept me up at night too. It was actually the symptom that sent me to the internet to try to see what I might have changed in my life last year that could have been causing it.

After a while, I stumbled upon this forum and it felt like a miracle. I started to realize that the crushing fatigue, etc was all interrelated. I'm so happy to hear that you've had the implant out and are doing so much better! I had my implant out 5 weeks ago and the hives are gone, but I still have patches of eczema occasionally. I did find a creme that works like magic, it's called Vicco Tumeric cream, and I buy it from Amazon. In case you're still having the itching symptoms. So glad you're feeling better! It's great that you're doctors were willing to remove the implant so quickly.
Viewing 1201-1361 comments: