Allergy Community
titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 1001-1198 comments:
"I'm just so annoyed at the ignorance and blithe attitude on the part of dentists though..."

Exactly!  what is it about that profession?  I don't get this from other medics but it appears to be endemic with dentists.   I have time/ reasonable intelligence and a bit of spare cash, so I have the wherewithal to bash away at this, and I have actually made them look like bozos a few times, but lord help anyone who doesn't have time ( that includes most people).   They remind me of plumbers or something .. laying forth with an air of total authority that its essential you have this or that procedure and anyone (including your previous dentist) who says otherwise is an idiot .!   Dentists will diss each other in way I have never come across with other medics, somehow they've got stuck in their own cosy little world and been allowed to get too arrogant.    Here in the UK we have state dentists with a 1950's attitude ( you do as you're told or bog off) or the private sector where they seem to be 80% salesman, 20% dentist & charge eyewatering amounts.  I'm hopping crazily between them, trying to get my own needs looked after w/out bankrupting us, in a section of the medical professional that seems only to be interested in looking after itself.
I told that doctor twice prior to my surgery that I had a metal allergy.  I explained to him that I didn't even wear jewelry because of it.  I do not even wear a watch and I pointed to the watch that I attach to my purse.  He just lied, straight out.  It is very upsetting to me to the point I no longer place trust in my physicians because of this.  He even lied to me about the brand  of implant he was going to use, instead of using the one he said, he used a no name company that no telling where they get their implants from.  

The sad thing is that even a year after this implant was removed I am still having medical and dental difficulties that came up because of it and I have spent a fortune on all of it.
Do you not know which company made your implant?  Is there any way you can find that out?  As with my case my doc used a tiny company and there is no telling where that implant came from.  I did find out there was nickel in my implant, which nickel is a base metal in fashion jewelry.

It is just insane that patients can have their lives ruined because of these doctors' egos.
I get the ketoconazole nasal spray from a compounding pharmacy in Seattle, WA--I think Key Compounding.  I was thinking though, that in a pinch someone could mash up a ketoconazole tablet between two spoons and put it into their sinus irrigation or buy a spray or diffuser bottle and get it up in the nose that way.  

You are right about being sick and tired and feeling like it is all just too much to deal with--probably why I haven't traveled out of state to have the implant removed.  That, & the implant isn't causing pain in the jaw unless I take antibiotics or am in an environmentally contaminated area.  

That is a horrid story about not being told the truth re: the origins of a material implanted into YOUR body.  That professional should lose his license or at the least be repimanded by the medical board.  

The problem with the dental and medical professions as a whole is that their rules and regulations are set with the foremost idea of protecting themselves versus the public they proclaim to serve.  They really have to be careful about damaging the reputation of another practitioner as that is something they can be sued for.  

Most of the help I've received so far are from practitioners who dare think for themselves.  
Thank you to whoever mentioned **** Van Dyke and his trouble with the dental implants.  There was a poster in the beginning (brokenjaw) who had a pulsing in his head due to titanium plates and screws in his jaw.  I wonder what happened to him...
Hi Suzie, I only have a small test screw in atm, I'm keeping it in for 6 mo's before deciding what to do.  If can tolerate that , then that's useful info for future poss surgery as well as implants, as long as I contact the mfr first and ensure that there is nothing more than titanium in the metal.   I am testing grade 4 titanium, the next generation of grade 5 is (according to my local dentist) causing more allergies than grade 4!   don't know what they've added to it, but this stuff changes from one year to the next, it seems.  Anyone thinking of using titanium,  ask the mfr for a spec sheet first on exactly what these guys are putting into you.    

3 months so far & I seem to be ok.  But boy I had to fight to get taken seriously! It was my specialist who came up with the idea of a small test screw.  Even tho I use titanium powder to make my own sunscreen (I cant tolerate commercial brands) it's not the same as having something embedded in your jaw 24/7.    

I made sure I knew what type it was before it went in, it's NobelBio.  I am losing lower molars and have to replace with something.. dentures seem to not work well on lower molars, and are made of artificial chemicals which give me a bad time.

From my info, even with good brands, the abutments can be more of a mix of metals than the implants,  so presumeably more of a potential problem, but my specialist says he can do titanium only or zirconium only abutments.  I'll be contacting NobelBio to double check that.!
I also get a lot of sinus infections, I use a neti pot with boiled water & sea salt; it works very well tho not as convenient as a spray as you have to bend 45deg over the bath or loo, head down & pour salty water in.. goes in one side, out the other and rinses your sinuses en route.  Very effective, painless, very cheap, but not very glamorous  :-D    There are videos on youtube showing how to do it, if anyone's interested.
I think the test screw is a good idea, however later it may cause problems.  I had a titanium marker put in about 10 years ago and had no problem at all with it, then later after the titanium implant was done it all came crashing down.  About a year after the implant was done I started to have all kinds of problems with my teeth again.  After the implant was removed, I had to have two surgeries, a bridge and several replacement crowns.

Why not think about Zirconium-Oxide?  You can be tested for that too.

The dentist I use did a lot of research for me and the product he uses is FiberMaster (Root Post) by New Technology Industries for posts.  I haven't had to have a post placed yet, but we did the research prior in case I had to use them.  Also he makes his own crowns and uses Identceram.  He doesn't do bridges, but he has a lab that uses the same for those.

My dentist takes my metal allergies seriously and frankly I appreciate all the work he did prior to working on me.  
Hi Suzie, I wonder if your original titanium marker was 'good stuff' and the implant sounded like it could have been a rubbishy, since the guy even lied to you about the brand he was using.  Might that be the reason for your different experiences?

I am hoping to have zirconium implant for one missing molar (I have two I need to replace) but they are 50% more expensive and the few dentists who put them in here don't have vast experience with them.

Re 'posts', I think you need to put those in before teeth are root canalled or extracted??  Is that right?    I have one tooth I rescued this year with a zirconium post & crown, supposed to last 20 years.  It cost as much as an implant, but if it lasts 20 years, well probably an implant will only last that long anyway.
Yes, been irrigating for years--I used to use an apparatus that you could attach to a waterpik and pulse the water through your nose.  Now I just use a bottle and pre-mixed packages from Neilmed.  

The frustrating thing is I told the periodontist I had sinus issues, was using nasal steroids (this eventually thins the sinus membrane), & was irrigating 2x/day.  Since then I've read it is not a good idea to do a lift on someone with pre-existing sinus issues.  At the very least he should have done a scan or taken some precaution so as not to drill into the sinus as he did!

Shocking!  did you get some redress from that dude?   we need to shake these guys up!!  I'm managing to do that at this end, local dentist looks scared when I walk in these days lol..& my specialist seems at least to listen & learn.
I like your English humor.  Redress in the Wild West. Ha! The practitioner who put the implant in and did the sinus lift is one of the most popular and competent? in this area of 500,000.  They stick together like figgy pudding.  I've been referred to as an interesting "case" on files and told to "accept my condition", whatever that is.  The precaution to be taken regarding the steroid use and pre-existing sinus issues is something I found on my own.  

To be fair, the environmental medicine specialist was hopeful I would become less reactive to the titanium after recovering from the mold exposure.   Despite still having the screw lodged in my jaw I have made a huge improvement with detoxification methods.  I would probably get the most help from an oral surgeon or dentist who actually believes that these implants are not the greatest thing since peanut butter, and would have to travel out of state for that.  

How interesting.. they diss each other at the drop of a hat over here!    However they can be just as dismissive of their patients too...just in more polite fashion (at least to our faces lol)
Professional organizations such as the AMA and ADA have bylaws that prohibit disparaging the reputation of another practitioner, less they invite a lawsuit upon themselves.  They tread very gingerly when discussing anything done by another of their profession.  This has the effect of limiting the amount of honest information you get when you pusue a second opinion, as well as to protect themselves from lawsuits.  

Seems a conflict of interest to me.  How are you supposed to get an honest and unbiased assessment when they are beholden to each other like this?

Two of the ENT docs I consulted regarding the sinus inflammation atop the implant did seem disturbed about the dental profession and their mishaps with the sinus cavity.  One told the referring oral surgeon to remove the implant and the oral surgeon still wouldn't do it, as he was concerned I might be worse off for it.  

Our countrys' motto is "The land of the free and the home of the brave", but in medicine it is "don't rock the boat", I'm afraid.

I used to follow http://www.osseonews.com/ ( you can ask dentists questions there) and now that i think of it the worry about getting into trouble with fellow professionals did come up.  Seems the AMA /DMA may be the culprits here - I would write / email them & ask that exact same question re conflict of interest ..& post their answer here !!  If enough ppl here pick it up maybe you can push to change things.?
hi wendy who removed your implant and what method , was there bone loss? im looking to remove a titanium dental implant asap.. in London.. thanks
i had melisa and molybdenum was high, after doing some investigating turned out the crown of the implant contained molybdenum... i had it removed and the aching in my jaw has reduced but i still suffer from some anxiety/panic, and general lethargy....
Wow.  What kind of crown did they tell you it was?
BTW my specialist is in London & is an oral surgeon, I found him at the Eastman Institute which is the dentistry section of UCL,he's on the teaching staff as well as a practising dentist / oral surgeon, UCL's a good place to start looking.  I recommended him to someone else, just messaged that guy to see how he got on..
hi jodiet. Wonder if you could pass your London specialist's details on to me?
I had an Ti implant about 6 months ago and my whole life has completely fallen apart. Symptoms very similar to those described by takeitout in early October, plus more. I am now a total physical and mental wreck and quite suicidally depressed by it all. .. Dentists and doctors all insist it cannot be the implant, but I was completely healthy and well beforehand. I need to get this thing removed. Can you please help?
Hi Takeitout,
Sorry for the delay. I haven't been on the site in a little while. I believe my dentist slowly drilled around the implants and took them out piece by piece. They were in the lower front, small and quite stubborn. I did lose some bone although am still so grateful the implants are out since they were killing me. My dentist has since purchased a unit that zaps an electrical impulse around the implant and which is supposed to create a pocket of necrotic bone around it so that it comes out easily. He just got the device though so I can't report on success rates yet.  He practices in New York, New Jersey, and Bulgaria. If you'd like to talk to him I can give you his info. Whatever you decide to do I wish you like and hope you get the implants out soon!!!
Jim, hope u got the message I sent.  I left one on this thread too but it seems not to have turned up!  
Just checking in to say that I met with my internist as well as the Oral Surgeon. (I had been bedridden three weeks post implant decimated completely). My internist feels certain that my response was a result of my weakened immune system from having had a serious case of Lyme Disease years ago. The oral surgeon felt that was a reasonable explanation, although truthfully, he seemed not to want to pursue the subject once I felt better.I asked his opinion of the ceramic implants. He will not do them, as he says they are susceptible to breaking, especially if there is any curve in the root. He is one of the best implant surgeons in my geographical area (Philadelphia Pa), and is technically excellent. Though I don't feel the need to have them removed now, I would be loathe to ever have titanium placed in my body again!!! The one "thread" which has been mentioned by several of us, myself included, is that we have mentioned to the surgeons ahead of time that we are allergic to metal or in my case had a severely compromised immune system. It is incomprehensible to me that the dentists seem not to take these risk factors seriously (or whatever), so it is a "buyer beware' situation for us in the future before having procedures.     Anita louise nov. 13 2013
Definitely buyer beware!

I had a long list of allergies/sensitivies, chronic sinus trouble with nasal steroid use, & sleep apnea.  Prior to submitting to this dubious procedure I consulted with an oral surgeon & two periodontists, who were not concerned with such pre-existing issues in regard to the sinus lift, bone graft & metal implant. Yeehaw let's git r' done was the consensus.
Hello, I need a really quick advice on cements, if you have researched them. My doctor is sympathetic and he removed the implant already, however an inlay had to be done.

I am checking cements myself and he offeref me choice between Variolink (by Ivoclar) and Choice 2 by Bisco. I can't find their composition, though, and still don't know if they contain titanium oxide. Has anyone researched cements? It would be extremely helpful!
An additional note to the previous post, in case anyone else is also interested in avoiding titanium dioxide in dental cements.

Variolink by the company Ivoclar contains titanium dioxide; here is the source, page 7 & 8 of the document.

http://www.ivoclarvivadent.us/zoolu-website/media/document/21456/Variolink+II+(Base)+(Canada+English)

On the website of the company, you can't see the titanium as it is hidden behind the name "spheroid mixed oxide."

I am still researching the other adhesive, Choice 2 by Bisco. It is weird that the exact composition of these materials is not readily available...

Anyway, good luck to everyone. This thread has been very useful for me as I had so many of the symptoms desribed here and felt so miserable and misunderstood. Big thank you to everyone who shared!  I will also find the time soon to post my story & progress.

There is a blood test offered by Clifford Labs to test for various sensitivities to dental materials.  I wonder if they might know how to find the info. you are seeking.  The manufacturer should be able to provide you with a matrials safety data sheet on their product.
email the company & ask for the technical info sheet, they have to have one as all this stuff has to be ok'd by various bodies for health & safety reasons.  No irony intended ;)
Those who developed autoimmune issues after their implants may be interested in looking up "metal implant syndrome".  

Perhaps this should be included in the list of possible risks of the procedure, although I am sure you would get the line "There is no evidence of such a syndrome".  Right.
Hi Everyone,

I think a new years goal for me is to start a blog about the dangers of titanium implants. I would like to create a space where people can go to find facts and read others stories quickly and easily.
This has been quite the journey for me and I have met many wonderful people along the way that have suffered and recovered as I have.
I am well and have so much energy these days!

I am still in the process of getting the zirconium implant and crown for my front tooth (long story). While I was at the office of the surgeon that I have been working with he told me a surgeon from Japan is coming over to the US next month to speak to dentists about the dangers of titanium, that he himself learned from his own patients. So progress is being made slowly but surely.

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and a blessed new year!
Terry

The blog is a wonderful idea Terry.  I am so grateful that the medical community is slowly realizing the torture it has been placing on those of us who are allergic to metals contained in the implants.

Merry Christmas to you too Terry and to those who celebrate our Lord's birth and a prosperous and happy new year to all.

B4SuzieQ
Wow!  That is great.  Is the Japanese surgeon speaking to the American Dental  Association, or to one of the more progressive groups such as the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology?
anyone know of dentists and doctors in NY or NJ  that has experience in this area that will help?  My wife is going through the same problem with her implant.

has anyone observed in the context of the titanium implants any blood analysis marker (eosinophilic cationic protien, tryptase, lymphocite count, IgE) out of range?
thanks
My "ana" was "off the charts" before I had my implants removed. Also, I had a strange but related experience. I had handled raw meat and got very sick. My eosinophils were very elevated (at 50). The were so high the doctors thought I had leukemia. While I know that parasites can raise eosinophis, the hematologist didn't think it was due to touching raw meat alone and attributed it to a combination of metal toxicity and parasites. Nothing was definitive... Hope that helps.
I just posted a question about relationship between a cyst above my titanium dental implant (done in 2008) and chronic illness.  I am not sure how this site works, but hope to continue following it.  I want to get my implant removed with the hope that I will feel better.

My dentist thinks the oral surgeon perforated my sinus when putting in the implant and that is why the cyst formed.  The ENT's I have been to don't think the cyst is a problem.  But they also can't explain my hearing loss, horrid tinnitus, sensations of heat and bugs crawling in my scalp.  My head feels like a battery or a short wave radio being held by plyers.  

There is a long history that I will spare you of - as you can read some of it in my other post if you are interested.  I will be seeing a new oral surgeon next week to discuss getting my implant removed.  I would love to hear from any of you who can related to my symptoms or provide any insights to help me along the way.
Have you been metal tested?
Yes.  I do not have sensitivity to titanium, but I do to nickel, aluminum and silver.  There are small parts of these metals in my implant.  I had the Clifford testing.
Titanium is not 100% titanium, it usually has nickel in it as an alloy.  I am not allergic to titanium, but to the alloys in it.
It is probably the same case with me.  I feel as though there is an infection in that part of my sinus that travels all the way to my eye and ear.  I have had it for quite a while.  It feels like seltzer in there with many other odd sensations.  I am seeing an oral surgeon next week to see what he thinks.  My 3-D x-ray is quite telling with the cyst above the implant, which seems to be penetrating into my sinus.
Bluebird,

I had a cervical spine inplant, but during the time I had it I developed a fungal ball in my sinuses.  After the doctor surgically removed it, it took a lot of antibiotics and care to make sure it didn't come back.  Even after my implant was removed, I had to have extensive dental surgery and work done because the metal in my neck effected my dental work too.
So you developed a fungal ball in your sinuses as a result of a cervical spine implant?  Did you develop dental cavitations as a result of the fungal ball?  Or were there other types of dental problems you developed? How did you discover this?

I just went through 6 weeks of ozone treatment (ears, nose and painful injections in my jaw, skull and neck trying to kill whatever infection has been brewing in there).  The dentist who treated me does not believe I have to worry about dental cavitations any longer, but I think anything is possible after this experience.

My symptoms are now moving to both sides and I am fearful that I am going to lose my hearing all together.  It is very frightening.  I have a root canaled tooth that I hope to get extracted on the 'good side' as well as the implanted tooth on the side where most of my symptoms have been.  I know it is not going to be easy.

Perhaps I need IV antibiotics due to having lyme disease as well.  My hunch is that the bacteria have been hiding in this vulnerable spot and the year of oral antibiotics I took were not enough to eradicate it.

I hope others will chime in.  I have tried to read through the entire thread and it gets confusing.  But there are many similarities in symptoms and history of the implants.  Thanks for writing B4SuzieQ.

I do not know if the fungal ball was a result of the implant, just that it happened during the time the implant was in.  

The dental problems I had resulted in the metal that was in the original work reacted when the implant was in.  After the implant was removed, I had as much work redone as I possibly could.  I use a dentist that doesn't use metal in his bridges and crowns.  You can tell the difference where the replacement work has been done vs the work that is still remaining, but cannot remove.

My question is why aren't you having your implant removed?  People have them removed and replaced with a non-metal solution and report that they are doing well afterwards.
I AM having the implant removed, as soon as I find a good oral surgeon to do the job.  I have an appointment this week to consult with one.  I just hope he will be able to remove it without too much difficulty.  It was done in 2008 and apparently integrated nicely with the bone, which will make it more difficult to remove.  I was writing here, hoping others could chime in about their experiences of having their implants removed to get some guidance and support.

My dentist does not do anymore mercury fillings and is trained to remove them and replace them safely.  I have already used him to remove one big silver crown with 2 mercury fillings underneath.  It caused my symptoms to worsen for a while, but I eventually got back to my baseline.  I am hoping the implant removal will make the biggest difference for me.
Hi, I have had trouble sending you a messag. Please feel free to emai me. terrybrown12 at aol *******.
I've never had ozone therapy done or looked into cavitations, but I did have two implants removed by a dentist in NJ. They were small and very well integrated. I think each case is different and my implants were a little stubborn. He worked very carefully to minimize bone loss and did ultimately get them out. He's since replaced them with one zirconium implant. Pretty soon I'll be ready for two zirconium crowns. I've done detoxes and more or less follow the body ecology diet and must say I feel pretty good overall. All of the symptoms are gone from the implants and I even have more energy than I did before I changed my diet. I too took a lot of antibiotics in the past. They play havoc with your system and ruin your intestinal health. The BED has helped me to regain my intestinal health, but when I go off of it (e.g., start eating sugar), I get foggy and start feeling lousy again.  
Thanks for writing, Wendy.  I'm glad you were able to get your implants removed successfully and you are feeling better with the diet.  I am seeing an oral surgeon today to discuss removing the implant.  I hope that he has experience with this and he thinks he can help me.  I so look forward to some quiet in my head again.  I know there are no guarantees, but my head feels like a short wave radio being tuned!

I have been detoxing for quite some time - having been treating lyme and heavy levels of mercury and arsenic found with testing.  I am sure I will need to continue this.  Diet and probiotics will always be an important part of my life.  I will continue to do whatever it takes to get my old body and life back!
It sounds like you're on top of it and know what you're doing. You WILL feel better! If the oral surgeon you go to won't do it, look for another one! I went to one other person before I found someone who understood the dangers of titanium implants and had some experience removing them. Overall, I think that removing them is a new procedure for dentists but more and more dentists seem to be learning about it. My head felt so so spacy before I had the implants out. Good luck and keep us posted. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Well - I had my visit with the oral surgeon and he told me the implant looks perfectly fine and he would not touch it.  He said I could do more damage than good if it were removed and he thinks my symptoms are neurological symptoms of Lyme disease.  Also mentioned that I have arthritis in my TMJ bones and a mouth guard might help.  UGH.

I will keep doing more research and try to get another opinion.  There was an oral surgeon in Philadelphia mentioned earlier on this thread that I will look up and consider going to see.  It would be about a 6 or 7 hour drive for me.  Please PM me, if anyone knows of any oral surgeons in New England who are experienced in removing intact dental implants, I would be ever so grateful.  
So sorry you had that experience. When I was looking to have mine removed I visited an oral surgeon who specialized in zirconium, who said the same thing to me. He said I might lose the tooth next to it and do a lot of damage. My dentist (at the time! ) told me that implants were permanent. He also had a host of reasons to explain my symptoms as did a few doctors. Don't give up! One of the reasons I decided to have my implant removed by a particular dentist was that he was in total agreement with me. He said he understood and that's what he did! No scary stories. I did lose a some bone but I can live it, and I didn't lose the tooth next to the implant site like the oral surgeon warned. I could not have gone on living the way I was and I am better now!
What you are saying has happened to me also.  One oral surgeon told me if the implant were easy to take out he would do it, and that he was concerned I would end up the worse for it.  In retrospect it is perhaps good he didn't take it out as I wouldn't have found I was being affected by toxic mold in our home.  
At this point the sinus and jaw pain are gone provided I irrigate the sinuses, use antifungal nasal spray and stay away from environmentally contaminated environments.  It is still a suspicion that the implant has certainly not improved my health and that it and a possible cavitation could be contributing to ongoing sensitivites. Infrared sauna is also helpful if you can find one to use.
The oral surgeon in PA you may be referring to is a Lee Caruso (not sure if the spelling is right) who removed an implant from a contributor named Serbin if I am remembering it right.  There is an oral surgeon out west renowned for cavitation surgery and removing implants and helping people who nobody else will help.  I have heard he has come out of retirement and is working again.  I have thought about looking him up, but hear he is quite aggressive in his technique and that people are left with not alot to work with as far as any future prosthetics.  The good thing is that their health is usually improved, though.  
Take care and keep at it!
Thanks everyone.  I wish I had a magic eight-ball to tell me what to do.  I will keep on researching things and hopefully all my efforts will lead me in the right direction.  I really appreciate all the experiences you are sharing and the information you are providing.  
Is it worthy to take the MELISA test even after the removal of the oral implant (Titanium plates and screws)?  I mean, will the test reveal whether a person is allergic to metals specifically?

Or the MELISA test is for when you have the implants and suspect an allergy.

Please someone clarify. Thanks!
JoeJoe,

I did both.  I took the Melisa test prior to the removal of my cervical implant and then afterwards.  The test result prior to the removal of the implant were very high and way out of range.  A couple of months after the removal I retook the test and my levels fell back into the range.  My concern was would the test been able to predict my metal allergy.  I ask the lab about this and was told that even though they were in the normal range, that since the results were in the upper part of the range and that I would have been told that there would have been a large probability of having a reaction to the implant.  I hope that answers your question.  If not, please feel free to ask.
There is a discussion board for dentists which I follow.  A question has  come  up about poss reaction to a patient's titanium implants.  Anyone including you guys can leave comments on there... given that this is a dentist's forum and a rare opportunity to get some info out there, you might want to throw some light on this for them & hopefully help the patient... ?http://www.osseonews.com/ruling-titanium-toxicity-implant-case/
Thanks for your response B4SuzieQ.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but basically the MELISA test is NOT a predictor of specific-metal sensitivity?  For instance, if a healthy person, who thinks he or she might be allergic to a metal (based on observations), wanted to get confirmation of being allergic, the MELISA test would not provide such confirmation.  Is that right?

I am dealing with an issue that I think is metal-allergy related and would like to find out of a test that confirms a person's allergy.
See my post here: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Allergic-reaction-to-metals-but-cant-prove-it-yet/show/2115425
JoeJoe,

I read your post and the symptoms you are describing that your child had seemed very close to what I had.  What I was told is that on the second test that my results although were in range, they were in the upper part of that range and would have been warned that there is a possible metal allergy.  I cannot wear any jewelry, including a watch, because of this allergy.

If I were you I would contact Dr. Valentine-Thon at the Melisa lab in NJ.  She is a wealth of information and I think she could give you a lot of insight.  She is an extremely pleasant person and takes this seriously.

I hope this helps.
Hello everyone

First i would like to say that since my 2 implants were placed 2 years ago i have done just about every bit of research and spoken to every expert possible in eastern and western related medicine. Through all of this information i have collected i have drawn an overall conclusion based on my own experience with the 2 implants  so i would like to share this information with you:

1. Galvanic corrosion is a high cause for leaking metal ions. When two different metals/alloys are present in the mouth with an electrolyte (in this case the saliva), there can be a reaction which stimulates the release of the ions from the less noble metal. This is particularly the case with dental amalgams. If you have ANY dental amalgams in your mouth then it may be the release of the extremely toxic mercury causing your health problems REMOVE THESE FIRST AND ASSESS FOR CHANGES. Replace any dental amalgam fillings with ceramic ones.

It is also advisable to replace any other metal present in the mouth that can be more easily removed. Any dental crowns made of metal should be replaced by the biologically inert ceramic zirconia, now freely available on the market. I had both my porcelain fused to metal crowns replaced with zirconia ones and now have no other dental restorations made from metal besides my two implants. Whether a causal relationship can be made, i feel progressive improvements.

2. Avoid any products containing titanium dioxide and paricuarly FLUORIDE. Fluoride has a negative reaction with titanium, significantly increasing the release of titanium ions. Fluoride is a toxin anyway so should be avoided regardless. Switch to a fluroide free toothpaste which can easily be found in any health shop.

3. CHANGE YOUR DIET. The potential for healing through nature is a gift and should not be ignored. Limit your consumption of sugars, wheat, gluten, dairy and anything artificial. All of these have a cumulative effect on the body and your immune system. As this is hard to cut out all at once, work in gradual stages. I started through cutting fast foods and fizzy drinks and then switched from milk chocolate to dark chocolate or raw cacao, and now have replaced dairy with better alternatives such as soy, coconut and hemp milk and now i ensure that i blend a variety of fruits in to a smoothy each morning as well as the same with vegetables at night.

I had previously suffered extreme digestive problems and restless leg syndrome since the placement of my implants which got progressively worse but and now beginning to drastically improve. Again i can not pinpoint exactly why, but i believe it to be a combination of my dental improvements, removal of flurried and dietary changes that work hand in hand

3. Consider the possibility that the alloyed metals may be more harmful than the titanium. I have titanium grade 5 which is alloyed with small amounts of aluminum and vanadium.

4. Remember the body is an interconnected and interdependent system. Research the relationship between the teeth and meridian points using this interactive chart. See if your physical/mental symptoms correspond with this chart. In my case (teeth 9 and 10), my digestive problems could be linked to the kidney meridian.

5. Consider the use of continual homeopathy to remove metals from the body. I personally believe the metal leakage isn't the main issue as we have the presence of much higher levels of metal residuals naturally in our body. I believe that the insertion of a foreign body in to the bone is causing an energetic disturbance, interfering with our body's homeostasis and leading to nervous system and hormonal dysfunction. I do also believe that we can help ourselves should implant removal not be accessible, affordable or safe.

I have spent the second year with problems learning more about holistic medicine as well as our ability to heal anything through positive intent. This involves accepting the implants as part of our new selves as opposed to seeing it as a threat. Our bodies have an amazing ability to adapt to changes, but we must . I know this is hard, as this has been my biggest obstacle, but after great advice from very respectable and caring holistic therapists and healers, i have began to reverse my fault cognitions and heal the body at the metaphysical level where everything is energetic. This is is why i reiterate the removal of any other metals that may be causing a reaction.

I had spent every day pondering over whether to get my implants removed and  this was very frustrating and depressing for me, so i can relate to everyone on this thread wholeheartedly. However i have decided to accept that nothing is perfect and we are exposed to all sorts of dangers in todays environment and must be dubious trusting anyone in the mainstream medical arena. I have learned to help myself and through dedication and continued research, i believe i can continue to restore my body and mind back to optimal health, regardless of the presence of the implants that i believe may well have been responsible for my digestive issues, restlessness and extreme fatigue.

When considering removing implants, you should take in to account all the factors- physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and reach the most viable conclusion. Feel free to write back for more advice as i should be able to provide this for you.
Apologies for the spelling mistakes, i should have proof read first and auto correct changed a few things wrongly. 'Flurried' = 'Fluoride'

Here is a link to the interactive chart is was mentioning. Sorry!

http://www.talkinternational.com/toothchart.html

*Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal, but we must aid in this healing process through positive thought patterns. Try and focus on any of the positives of your implants. I am by no means saying that they are not the cause of your issues, but that we have the ability to reverse these effects. Although i have felt cheated and regretful about this procedure, i have now come to accept that this wasn't my fault, it was the decision i made at the time and i am going to live with it and find a way around the problem. My stress and anxiety, i am certain has only exacerbated my problems.

When i mentioned the removal of mercury fillings. This should be done regardless of the presence of implants, so even for those who may have had them removed already. They are practically one of the most toxic metals known to man, and there are numerous cases reporting leakage in to the body.

HAVE ANY FUTURE DENTAL PROCEDURES CARRIED OUT BY AN EXPERIENCED HOLISTIC METAL FREE DENTIST. This is imperative as using the wrong dentist may actually cause more problems than they will resolve and you are likely to face a backlash due to their high level of indoctrination in the medical field. It is so important to use a dentist you can trust, who makes you feel comfortable and understands where you are coming from. These dentists are far more likely to negotiate costs with you despite their higher initial costs. Unfortunately quality does cost, so if you are considering dental treatment, it is worth saving up for the best to save more costs down the line from problems that might emerge.

Please refer to my recent few comments at the end of this thread. I hope this information may be able to help you. Any further questions, i am more than willing to chat with you :)
I had a hair test for heavy metals done that showed the mercury fillings were not a problem but titanium was off the charts.  As I don't use sunscreen; it could only come from a tiny pin in one tooth put in years ago.
What a great post and wonderful information. I agree with everything you have said. I believe you can do this, given the very tough decision to have them removed. I think about this often.
For me I went two years doing all of the above. (except I do have a few crowns to remove) I improved 75 percent which was huge as I was really ill. I saw holistic doctors, ate an impeccable diet,prayed, meditated, excercised.... I still was 25 percent ill and had crashing fatique also.
I can now say with the removal of the implants I am at 100 percent. But removing them has been a BIG ordeal  and I do believe if you do not have issues that are really bringing you down, leaving them in would be ok. I have so many friends with implants and they are having no issues at all.
What a journey life is!!!!

Thank you for your post! You have certainly done the leg work and I appreciate you sharing your information and your on-target conclusions.  I personally believe I was affected by not only the implants but the other dental metals which synergistically created the galvanic response so that my symptoms were pretty clearly those of metal poisoning. I didn't want to take any chances and did have my titanium implants out and will in time also remove my remaining two porcelain fused to metal crowns. My health is back to the way it was before the implants, which is much much better!  While I no longer feel the effects of the dental metals that brought me down I've also struggled with autoimmunity issues. I really appreciate your suggestion about continued homeopathy and perhaps even  more, about positive thought patterns and the importance of continuing to do all that is possible to reach maximum health! I also believe it is possible but it is also a journey with ups and downs and your post is so encouraging. Thank you!!
I posted this info in a different thread but I should have done it here instead.  I just wanted to add my experience with metal allergies. Sorry for the double post

original thread: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/Allergic-reaction-to-metals-but-cant-prove-it-yet/show/2115425

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am the parent of a child whose health has been deteriorating due to, what I believe, titanium plates and screws implanted in his mouth for orthodontic purposes.

From muscle fatigue, to joint pain, fevers and rashes, my teen child has experienced it all.  Treatment has been done for the illnesses but there is no conclusive info to support my belief or anyone else's, for that matter.  I have read most of the scientific articles about Ti/Ni/Metal allergies in dental patients and I have a strong feeling about that THIS IS the source of the problems.

The dental implant was removed, and 'coincidentally' my child's health has started to improve (relatively speaking in regards to the symptoms). My child is allergic to Nickel based on observations throughout life but we have never proven it scientifically.  Every specialist is baffled (lack of exposure to cases like this maybe?).

Like I said, the symptoms have improved, except for the fevers that come back (one/twice a day). There is no sign of infection but there is a sign of decreasing inflammation - Doctors decided that the best course of action was a high dose of steroids (prednisone) for three days to reset the immune system. Started yesterday, so two more days to go.

The symptoms my child presented was of the following diseases (as per Drs diagnosis): Mono (a week after implant), Serum sickness (a month after implant), rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile idiopathic arthritis, lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever. LTT to Ni and Ti and a biopsy test results are pending as well as of other diseases.

I would like to believe we are dealing with allergy to metals because it makes the most sense. However, I pray it is something non-malignant and treatable. I am so very thankful of the physicians that have treated and still are treating my child and the nurses caring for the kid.

Once he recovers, I will do a full metal allergy test.

Here are the journals that have helped me during this rough time (I encourage you to read and educate yourself):

http://www.biovis.de/resources/Titanium_allergy.pdf

http://www.melisa.org/pdf/Metal-induced-side-effects.pdf

http://www.melisa.org/pdf/Hypersensitivity-titanium.pdf

http://www.melisa.org/pdf/neuroen.pdf

The picture below is of the type of rash we are dealing with.  Does it look like yours? It is not itchy in our case.
joejoe, thank you for moving your post that describes your son's health history.  I am so sorry that he has had to go through all of this - and I can only imagine how hard it must be for you.  I just want to caution you that steroids and Lyme disease are a very bad mix.  They wreak havoc on your immune system.  It is probably too late, but I thought you should know this.  Many of us that have had Lyme disease have had autoimmune problems after taking steroids.  (I took prednisone for sudden and severe neruo-sensory hearing loss and that is when all of my neuro symptoms began)

I know there are times when you have no choice.  It sounds like you have done a lot of research and it is great that your son has you as his advocate.  Thank you so much for all of those wonderful references.  Good luck to both of you and please keep us posted!
I wonder if anyone here has tried physical therapy and whether it has been beneficial in any way, shape or form to the overall recovery process?
JoeJoe,

I went to a physical therapist before to get some relief.  She hurt me so much I had to have a cervical fusion surgery immediately.  I do believe if it weren't for her I would have never had to have this surgery.  And this was a very respected physical therapy office.  I would not go to another physical therapist or chiropractor.  I do go to an acupuncturist and have had some very good results with that.  
It could come from titanium dioxide (a white coloring) rather than the titanium metal itself. Titanium dioxide is EVERYWHERE: coating for many medicines/vitamins, skim milk (it would be bluish without it), toothpaste, most foods/fillings that are really, really white (such as powered sugar, donut filling, clam chowder), sunscreen, make-up, deodorant, cigarette paper, etc. Skim milk doesn't have to label that it's there; other foods say artificial color, and pills may say edible ink.
Did the fevers ever stop for you completely? or did you get a fever here and there after being affected by the Ti/Ni? My kid is under prednisone treatment and in the past week has gotten a couple of fevers
Does anyone have a good dentist in the UK who will remove a dental implant?   I have spent months trying to find someone.  Please help, I am desperate.
My specialist might well help, I'll,send you a private message..
Sorry I cannot help you with the UK.  But I am seeing a third oral surgeon tomorrow to help me determine whether my titanium dental implant might be responsible for many of my lingering symptoms of a chronic illness.  I will post after my visit.  He is in western MA in the US.  
Again, the latest oral surgeon does not think there is anything wrong with my implant and he does not want to remove it because he says I would be suffering from sinus infections, drainage and pain there if it was a problem.  He thinks that my symptoms are from Lyme Disease.  I completed a health history with MERISA Diagnostics and received an email back that the symptoms I do have fit the profile for someone who is likely reacting to the metals in my dental implant and would probably find relief if it were removed.  I am going to try to get the MELISA testing and if I do find out that I have sensitivity to the titanium, I am going to travel to where ever I need to go to get this dental implant removed!
Hello

I have a titanium implant three years ago. A month later I suffered a lot of symptoms (panic attacks, increases in fasting glucose, muscle weakness, fatigue, etc).
Symptoms gradually declining, but still I do not feel completely recovered. After visiting crowd of doctors, an allergist finally found that the eosinophilic cationic protein was worth 75. He blamed it on some type of food allergy. All doctors I've visited agree an allergy to titanium is impossible to produce this, but I've never been in poor health and since then I do not feel well.
I made the Melisa test in which a high nickel allergy and possible allergy titanium oxide appeared.

I don't know if I must remove the implant, can the cationic protein marker be related?
A titanium implant isn't made up of 100% titanium, it has alloys in it, and usually nickel is one of them.  It could be that your implant contains nickel.  I did not have a dental implant, so I can only speak of the cervical implant I had.  After almost two years with the implant in me, I felt like I was dying.  I had the melisa test from the NJ location and spoke with a very caring Dr. Valentine-Thon there.  Long story short, I had it removed and did a lot better since.
Thanks B4SuzieQ
The implant is the prime suspect

I wonder if anyone else with these problems have increased levels of cationic protein marker in blood
hi moosemoo, I'm also desperate, + I've got at least 8 implants, progressive health decline, only keep going because of raw food diet +constant detox, but so tired! did you find a solution?I'm still waiting for melisa results.here in uk not as aware as in States.my chief problem is bronchial, constant mucus in throat which affects my voice + I have to negotiate by email.I'm considering zirconia replacements, but need to find practitioners, few in uk!
bear up! KatyN23
further to this, has anyone experience with removal +replacement with zirconia? I'm concerned that my body may not tolerate further implantation.I know hal huggins says sticking any foreign matter in bone provokes reaction. in that case I'll be left with a denture, + I'm only 66!
I don't believe dentists are particularly conspiratorial, just the system runs everyone off their feet. surgeons perform wonders for people with accidents etc, but a  lot of our health problems are because we don't instinctively go with nature anymore.implantation is the only surgery I've had, + I bought the "bio friendly" argument! my implants worked wonders, but my body doesn't want them. I.m specifically interested in people's experiences here in the uk, but welcome all your imput.only just mastered logistics of getting into this community.
KatyN23 p.s.. I recommend the detox doc at dr robertmorsend youtube site. competent, big hearted naturopath,healer
Hallo, i am new to this site and i am looking on information how dangerous dental implants can be. I got my implant 6 years ago and everything was fine, but about 2years ago started to feel terribble. Just from no reason my blood preasure started to jump high and my pulse was 110 per minute, i felt very deppressed. I develop adenoma in my thyroids, as well i had high ATPO antibodies in my blood test, as well i started to feel pain in my heart area, plus digestion problems. And month ago i done hair test for mikroelements and my result shows very high number of CO (cobalt). It means my body is poisoned with cobalt. Could it be from dental implant, maybe somebody had the same expierence?
I didn't have a dental implant, but I had a cervical implant that caused me a great deal of trouble.  I was metal tested by a Melisa lab in NJ.  There are other labs too, but I really liked the doctor there.

It is odd that you are mentioning this, because I am presently being tested for a pheochromocytoma.  One reason is my bp spikes I an having.  However, I started to have those symptoms prior to the implant.  That being said, I have had a great deal of dental work done in my mouth, but not an implant.  

Please keep us updated.
Cobalt is used in some dental implants http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt-chrome, but possibly also in fillings / crowns .. worth googling.   Ppl need to get a spec sheet from the manufacturer for implant, abutment,screw & crown the dentist intends to use before going ahead with an implant, it will tell you what it is composed of.  You can replace fillings fairly easily if you have probs with them but not implants, dentists should give you these details as a matter of course IMO, but its like trying to get state secrets out of them unless you do it BEFORE the implant goes in when they're still after your cash.
Katy, ask Steve about replacing removed Ti implant with zirconia.  He doesn't like zirc, thinks they crack too easily, but then surprised me by saying he'll replace my Ti with zirconia if I have trouble with it.  I also found a good dentist 10 mles from here (google around & you should find one but probably not right next door) who will do zirc implants, he has put in 10 so far but he says its like getting into a strangers car .. he has to go slowly & carefully as he doesn't do them every day.  This means more chance of infection & i cannot take antibiotics... + the price seems to be leaping up (£2500 now) so I'm sitting on the fence with that one.
hi jodiett, I've emailed his reception, so they should reply after the weekend.my dentist should remove them if paid[altho' he doesn't do ceramic as far as I know ]but wants "proof" hence  [im]patiently awaiting melisa ,2 weeks now. lots of dentists do ceramic crowns on titanium screws. If you google metal free dental implants uk just 4 practitioners come up, 2 in london area, 1 in hampshire, +1 in lyme regis, but he has an equivocal attitude to mercury. vera at melisa mentions a doctor mendonca caridad in spain, but I don't want to hike that far. there are also biodentists here + in europe,dr thomas rau at the paracelsus clinic advocates zirconia.I'm interested to get feedback from those who've had ceramic for 3-4 years, as it's taken that amount of time for me to really start feeling wierd with the titanium. there is an amazing russian raw food vegan lady who had hip implants years ago, + is doing fine, advertising herself as 15% titanium.b.t.w, inabality to take antibiotics shows a finely tuned system. cheers! katyn23
I will try to contact my surgeron who placed implants for me, maybe he will give some info, I just know that implant is straumann brand, but other parts no idea. Plus it was 6 years ago and all those bad symptoms i started to feel just about 2 years ago. But hair test was done month ago and just now i find out that i got very high levels of cobalt.
I had mine replaced with zirconium and one has been in over a year and the other 6 months. My body is accepting them just fine.
Terry
Could that be coming from fillings/crowns?  

This is what I got from Straumann when asked about metals in their dental materials..""ln general, Straumann implants, abutments, closure screws and healing caps are made of titanium implant quality grade 4. Some of the base or occlusal screws and synOcta abutments are manufactured from a titanium-aluminium-niobium alloy containing 90% titanium. Straumann ROXOLIO implants are made from a titanium-zirconium alloy containing 85% titanium. There is no nickel, cobalt or any other metals added to these materials, and only trace amounts thereof are present."

email & ask them what they were using 6 yrs ago, but even better if u can get the exact part no's yr dentist used & ask about those.  If they say there was no cobalt in there & cobalt is the problem, its possible its coming from somewhere else.
It's the Hampshire one that I saw, in Fleet.  Good guy.  One of the London clinics (Ella) charged £3000 for zirc & didn't reply when i asked if they cd do without antibiotics.
I need to know if doc Smith will remove my implants, or direct me to someone who can, a.s.a.p.I have an appt with him for the 22nd.once they're out I'm sure I'll recover, + can negotiate zirconia replacement.the bronchial + throat inflammation I suffer I'm sure is from the metal, ear nose +throat clinic found nowt, offered me speech therapy!Is the hampshire guy amenable? has he experience with titanium toxicity?
Speech therapy ..  ROFL!  Sent u a private mssg yesterday.  Be certain the are the prob when u see him - tell him you got sick soon as they went in & you've been tested to death for everything else.  Incidentally it may be some other metal than titanium which is in the implants and causing you probs, the MELISA test will be interesting.  If you show positive for any of the metals google them and see if any of them are used in implants.  Its more ammunition for you.
I'll do as you say. my implant has 10% aluminium/vanadium +there must be a whole cocktail of metals in the crowns so in the 4 years I've had them the load in my body must have built up.melisa lists inorganic mercury as one of the ingredients. inorganic? if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck etc,anyway mercury messes up your bonchial mucosa, also causes nerve reactions. I notice several posters here got that, +muscle weakness. we're in good company with mercury poisoning; sir isaac newton,paganini, plus all those unfortunate romantic poets/ artists/ musicians who were given mercury for the pox.metal medicine is SO 19th century! katyn23
Thanks for Your replie on Straumann implants, i got the same answer from my surgeron, that is made from titanium and cobalt could be, but just macrograms in it. But i got crown on another tooth and its made from chromium and cobalt. Now i"m waiting for my blood test for cobalt, chromium and titanium in my body. If it shows that is too high i will have first of all to remove that cobalt crown. The test i done before was from hair and it showed that cobalt is too high in my body.
my melisa results show no allergies to any of the 11 metals tested, except zirconium, but toxicity from vanadium which is in the implant. however melisa don't think a dentist would consider this sufficient cause to remove them, so I'm hoping your guy will be more amenable. as it seems from this that implanting zirconium will be risky, I may first consider getting my crowns all metal free + see how I do.a bionetics hair test showed no heavy metal toxicity, some from chemicals +hydrocarbons.
Katyn23
Jeez I really cannot trust my iPad.  I posted a reply this morning but it has disappeared.   I'll let you know my email addie, this site is quite slow with notifications.

Many ppl here show up as neg in MELISA but still get relief from symptoms once the implants are out.  Not all weird things happening in your bod can be tested for.. (don't I know it, having suffered with MCS for 15 years!)  It was Steve's idea to put a test screw in for 6 mo's even tho my previous MELISA tests were neg for titanium.

If you put your case well I still think he will remove them for you, tho if you can afford it it might be good to redo the crowns first, they could be causing more trouble than the implants but are much easier to sort out.  
Are you saying that if you test negative for sensitivity to titanium and metals in your implant, that it might help to get the crowns replaced in your mouth that could have metal in them? I often wonder if I am having a 'battery effect' or 'galvanized mouth', as described in Hal Huggins' book.  I have already started getting my mercury fillings replaced, but I have 3 more to go. I do have a couple of crowns that might have mercury fillings underneath them too.

I did finally get the MELISA testing done and am waiting for the results now.
I definitely think there's something to the galvanization effect drawing the metals into your system if you have other metals in your mouth. In my case, I'm pretty sure that this compounded the effects of the titanium implants. My worst symptoms were symptoms of heavy metal poisoning, which occurred several months after I had the crowns in and a year after I had the implants in. I also think my crowns were toxic to me because the moment they were in they stung my tongue a little and felt rough even though they were smooth. I can't remember the makeup anymore but I believe vanadium was part of it. The fact that I tested negative on MELISA meant nothing to me since it only tests for allergies and it was simply "toxic" to my system.

I had the crowns removed and wore a temporary for 3 weeks to see if my symptoms would go away but they didn't. The temp however, was a Maryland bridge and had metal wings. I'd worn the same temp before I had the crowns in with no problems but don't know if it was effecting me later due to my body being so overloaded at that point. I also thought about getting porcelain crowns to see if the symptoms would dissipate but didn''t want the extra expense if it didn't work. Can you get acrylic temps instead of having porcelain crowns made? I wore acrylic temps after I had my titanium implants out and they didn't bother me much (at first they stung but after detoxing that dissipated)? It just seems like such a big expense to get all porcelain crowns, which are more expensive, and then to not have it work.
thanks Wendy, I've decided to have the implants out. there are  too many people out there suffering the same symptoms,flu, fevers that don't resolve, skin problems, throat +bronchial discomfort, muscle weakness, cramps, + above all deep down lethargy, for it to be a collective fantasy.I'm negotiating with 2 dentists here. most people on this forum say it wasn't difficult to remove the implants, it must be part of their training.last resort, there are bio-dentists in europe who are well aware of metal toxicity, + maybe your specialist in bulgaria would help.
KatyN23
Hi Katy, I came to the same conclusion when deciding to have mine out. Also, the implants could very possibly lead to health problems down the road, like, say, cancer. Our bodies are already fighting an onslaught of toxins just from everyday living. I think the location of the implant may have something to do with how easily they come out. Mine were a little difficult because they were in the anterior and very small since I have a small jaw. Someone else recently went to my dentist and experienced a very easy removal. Either way, congratulations, I think you've made a "health-smart" decision! I have absolutely no regrets. I'm glad that ugly metal, which came out black, is out of me! My dentist practices in the states and in Europe part-time. It seems that every few months he flies over. I may have given this to you already but in case I haven't, his name is Dr. Veselin Shumantov. His number in the states is  (973) 736-3636. If you want his email, just text me. Good luck again.
Hi myname76

There are other blood analysis markers which are related to allergy / inflammation. Were you tested for tryptase and IgE levels as well?

IgE Total was elevated in the first blood test. It decreased in the following tests (every 6-12 months)
Tryptase was within the limits.
ECP was very elevated, it has decreased too, but are still elevated.

My health has also improved over time, I still have some symptoms and fatigue, but I can do more or less normal life (the first year after the implant was awful)
hi, i am from denmark.

in all titanium pure or alloys, there will be nickel, vanadium, palladium, so if get implants, ask the doc to test you for all metals.
Those of you who had your dental implants removed, what are you using instead? Partial dentures or what? I am considering my options to replace a tooth due to be pulled soon because decay set in under a crown.
My MELISA testing came back negative, but after a long discussion with Dr. Valentine, my dentist thinks my titanium implant is at the root of my chronic illness and multiple head symptoms.

The hard part is finding an oral surgeon who is willing and competent to do this.  I have been to 3 so far and nobody wants to take it out.  My dentist gave me an article written by a holistic oral surgeon all about the problems with titanium implants - her name is Lina Garcia.  She is in Chicago and she does remove intact implants.  Problem is, I am in New England.  The other oral surgeon my dentist found is Dr. Sammy Noumbissi in Silver Springs, MD.  That would be closer for me.  

Forgive me if you have already provided this information, but... do any of you know of any oral surgeons in New England or NY, PA, NJ who are experienced and capable of moving intact dental implants?  I am really scared, but hopeful that this will help to relieve me of my awful symptoms.
I hope someone has replied to you, i believe there are a few in your area.
I heard from someone in this forum about an oral surgeon in Philadelphia (Dr. C) that I have an appointment with later this week.  If there is anyone closer, I would love to get that contact info!  Thanks, Terry.
crazy how every time I come here to this site to check in, the page is covered with ads for titianium implants!
just had to share....
I finally saw Dr. C in Philadelphia.  He thought that it would be a mistake to have my titanium implant removed.  When I described my symptoms to him, he said that I was describing damage to the 5th cranial nerve 'to a tee'.  Unfortunately, he said that only about 1% of the patients who come to him with my symptoms are helped by dental implant removal.  He said the people who are helped by this are those who come to him complaining of a general feeling of malaise, fatigue, and symptoms that are not necessarily in the vicinity of the dental implant. He was so very informative and I liked his bedside manner.  I am disappointed, though, that implant removal is probably not the answer for me.  He said that my symptoms could have been caused by a dentist or oral surgeon hitting that nerve or it could be related to my battle with chronic Lyme disease.  I am probably going to try treating this more aggressively.  I thought I should post this information for all of you out there considering implant removal. By the way, both Clifford testing and MELISA testing showed no sensitivity to titanium for me.  But I do still wonder if the corroding metals could be leaching into the tissue and bone where the implant is placed.  If only there was an x-ray or test to determine this!
My sister had a surgically implanted tens unit to control pain from a previous back surgery.  She developed a lot of symptoms similar to mine plus some different ones when I had a cervical titanium plate implanted.  Since I personally had to have a cervical plate removed, I told her to get a Melissa test.  She scored 1.5 on about 10 different metals, but nothing over a 2.  She decided to have it removed and is doing a lot better 2 months later.  

This is a difficult and personal decision.  I hope you get some answers too.
I am a person who had dental implants twice in last eight months. The first time it was of traditional method using titanium roots. For some reason the implant was failure and i was suffered with some dental issues. And the specialist who did my implant could not exactly find the reason. Then one of my cousin who did an implant couple of years back suggested it may be due to an allergic reaction. He recommended me to go to a holistic dentist (drwolch.com/holistic-dental-procedures/bridges-dental-implants/ ). I took his suggestion and went to a holistic dentist nearby. He did the necessary treatments to my existing issues and then did the implant with something called zirconium. It fitted my teeth perfectly and no issues arose. After four months a ceramic crown was placed and everything ended up very well.  
Hello again to everyone,

I am here to share some good news and hope. I have previously posted my story - had an implant in 2009, when I was feeling perfectly healthy and energetic. Symptoms started several months later and quickly exacerbated until I was homebound and not functioning at all - terrible fatigue, muscle weakness, panic attacks, stomach problems, anxiety, depression, brain fog, poor concentration, etc. Generally feeling very, very weak and not myself. As my husband and a friend one day concluded - "it is as if you are being slowly poisoned." That's how it occurred to us that it could be the implant; I didn't make the connection initially.

I had the implant removed in 2014 and that's the best decision I have made so far. Haven't recovered 100% but I think it takes time and effort (exercise, detox), to compensate for the years of not moving and for the toxicity.  But there is huge improvement - my close ones say that I even talk and move differently. I feel stronger and more myself. After not doing anything for years, months after the implant is gone, I am back travelling, working, taking better care of my child, etc.

This weekend we were mountain biking (my muscles still in bad shape but improving), it was very hot, and I noticed with joy that I have no agoraphobia and I can tolerate the heat perfectly. While I had the implant, I couldn't tolerate any direct sun, I immediately started to feel dizzy and had to go in the shade and lie down. So, it seems like that will be the first summer since 2009 that I may be able to actually enjoy!

Just like you, I was told numerous times by dentist and doctors that I am imagining all of that and the reason may be different. How can one imagine it? Am I imagining now that I can do more things?

I just wanted to say that there is hope and the implants should be removed, regardless of the risk! My dentist was trying to convince me against the removal until the last moment, even right before the surgery. However, I was very stubborn (though scared), because I realised that I am getting worse every year and if I don't take the risk of removing it, I am just sitting, waiting, deteriorating, and not living.

Sincerely wish everyone here success with the removal and with reclaiming our own bodies.
Thank you for sharing AbsoluteBeginner!  I am so happy for you.  Could you give any details on the surgery to remove your implant?  Was the implant well integrated with your jaw bone?  Was the procedure traumatic in any way?  Mine is tooth #14 in upper jaw and I am told it could cause trauma to the bone to have it removed.   I know I have read here that even a dentist was able to do this for a patient in NJ in just a few minutes with only Novocaine.  It would be so helpful if you could describe your experience for those of us still contemplating this.  Thank you!
There is another holistic dentist in PA who has removed about 50 implants.  I'll message you with the name.
thank you for sharing your success story! it always makes me feel good to hear others with similar stories to mine.
Bluebird, I know with the right surgeon your implant removal would be EASY!
Sorry for the delay; I wrote a long post yesterday but lost it somehow. So here are the details for the operation. But I live in Europe - Sofia, Bulgaria, so some of the info may not be applicable here :-)

The surgery itself was short and not painful; only with local anaesthetic; I was awake. The big scare was actually the months before the surgery. It was my upper left 5th tooth that was replaced with an implant. The place of the missing tooth was very narrow, so it was a very small implant.

The surgery was done by my long-term dentist (and a friend already), who placed the implant in the first place. It was perfectly integrated with the bone, no signs of infection, from a dentist point of view - I'm totally crazy to remove it. It took me a long time to convince the dentist, who was sure the problem was somewhere else, but he gave up in the end.

He admitted that he has never removed an implant before but I decided to take this risk because 1) he has placed it, so he knows the exact location, brand, had all the X-rays and 3d scans, etc. 2) I knew from experience that he is a really good surgeon and removing an implant shouldn't be that much more difficult than  removing a wisdom tooth. 3) I couldn't find a dentist in Bulgaria with proven track record of removing implants, so I decided to go with one whom I generally trust. Besides, you know how difficult it is to convince anyone that a well-intergrated implant should be removed. My dentist at least knows me for years and knows that I am not typically paranoid or anxious. He also agreed that I have started to look unwell, just couldn't believe that the implant could be the reason.

So, the dentist thought that he could be able to unscrew it. We agreed that if it turns out difficult or impossible to unscrew, he will not try and push too hard, but will just close the site and postpone the operation. I found a dentist in Scotland who has experience with removing implants, so we agreed that if unscrewing doesn't work, I will travel to Scotland. My dentist actually offered to come with me, because he said he would be very interested in observing this.

Fortunately, thus wasn't necessary as he managed to unscrew it! It wasn't easy, he had two assistants and made several attempts. At one point they stopped to look for a different instrument and at the end, modified one of their instruments. They also made a cut on the top of the implant to be able to place the instrument in the cut and use it as a screwdriver. Just as I was beginning to panic, the nasty thing came off! The entire process took no more than 10-20 minutes (including the break for changing instruments and making their own).

My understanding is that the major risk is bone loss due to the missing tooth or damage to the neighbouring teeth or the jaw. Even though my dentist was inexperienced, I have no damage. The bone loss is minimal and that's inevitable when losing a tooth or an implant. As I said, my implant/ gap was small, neighbouring teeth really close.

They were insisting on doing bone grafting but I refused. I didn't want anything else foreign in my bone. I decided to let nature heal the spot. Besides, I am not interested in a new implant. Of course, if you need a new implant (zirconia?), I guess bone grafting may be necessary.

When it was all over, I was just wondering why I didn't do it earlier. I realise that the surgery poses risk, but with the right dentist, it isn't that scary at all. Keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome for you guys! At the end I found the courage for the surgery because one morning I realised that my condition was deteriorating every year. So, I thought - what I am waiting for? Yes, there is a risk, but if I want a full life, I have to take it. Otherwise have to just drag my feet around feeling sick.

The improvement is not 100% and not too fast, but there is significant improvement and I am happy the nasty thing is out.
Congratulations on getting your implant out! So happy for you!!  Thanks so much for sharing your story too.  It means so much to those of us contemplating this.  My dentist told me he wishes he could take it out, but he does not feel qualified to do this.  Even most of the oral surgeons I saw don't feel qualified, I am pretty sure!  

It was an oral surgeon who placed my implant 6 years ago.  I did not care for him and it was a rather traumatic procedure for me getting my failed, root canaled tooth extracted and then having that implant put in.  I would not want to use that OS again.  I am considering calling back the OS I saw in PA who does a lot of implant removals and telling him I am getting worse and my symptoms are not just in my head...  

I have a cyst on the floor of my sinus right above the implant and the stem of the implant penetrates above my sinus cavity, but it is protected in that cyst.  I think that the oral surgeons are afraid of a big hole in my sinus once the implant comes out.  Anybody here have a cyst like this above their implants?
It has been a busy week and I have not had time to use the infrared sauna.  Once again I am reminded of the cavitation and piece of crap metal leaching aluminum into my jaw!  

For those of you looking for some relief while you are searching the right surgeon--try the infrared sauna.  It will have the effect of opening the blood vessels and increasing circulation to this dead area of jaw bone created by root canals and extractions.  It will help transport toxic metals out of the area.  The standard of care in dentistry is resulting in pain and disease for some people.  When are they going to acknowledge this and change the way they do extractions and help the people who are affected by cavitations????  
So sorry to hear about the complications. Yes, it sounds like the original surgeon wouldn't be a good idea. Have you discussed bone grafting with them? If the sinus is perforated, aren't there other ways to deal with it (besides keeping a metal implant?) BTW, on the 3D scan before placing the implant (in 2009), they also saw a cyst in my sinus cavity but said it was unimportant and the implant was not that close to the cyst or the sinus, so my experience isn't relevant. I so hope that the experienced surgeon in PA finds a solution for you! Keeping my fingers crossed!
AbsoluteBeginnier, the oral surgeons don't want to do anything to that cyst as it appears to be protecting my sinus.  Most tell me they see these often.  But my dentist did not like it one bit. His life was turned upside down by mercury toxicity from all the fillings he has done over the years.  He got extremely ill and searched for answers for a long time.  It wasn't until he saw a naturopathic doctor that he found out he had mercury poisioning.  He has been being treated for this (chelating heavy metals) and doing much better.  But like those of us damaged and disappointed by the medical system, he is encouraging me to continue to search for answers.

smileynow, I will try the infrared sauna.  I also would like to try Ondamed treatment.  I was speaking about this with someone yesterday and learned that it helps to heal damaged tissue by increasing circulation and even rebuilding dead or damaged tissue.  These two things would be a lot easier than jaw bone surgery for cavitations, if that is what I have!  I had a 3D x-ray that showed mild bone infection but I later had some pretty intensive ozone treatment by a biological dentist and he does not think cavitations are an issue for me any longer.  (I sure hope he is right!) But he recommends that I get my tooth extracted that has a root canal.  That will be next on my list after I get my remaining 3 mercury fillings replaced.  So I guess there are lots of things I can do before removing that implant. A step at a time...  Thanks everyone for your input.
:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Hi - had 2 implants. Seemed okay. When crowns placed skin reactions went ballistic. For 5 years watching my hair fall out, joint pain, eczema, headaches. Not killer level, just low buzz. Do not sleep ever.
Want implants out, have to try and salvage what I can of my health, but dentists fighting to keep them in. Just want them out. I am allergic to nickel - found that after 4.5 years. and have auto immune problem. If I waste my money, I tried, I wish the dentists would help me, not make me drag myself along another day half dead. Considering shaving my head - Im a woman - as cant sleep thinking about it all. Just go balb, its like self destructing.
I am pretty certain there's traces of other metals in titanium implants - even a difference between 2 of same implant from same supplier, even tho they swear they are 100% pure.   I have tested positive to allergies to about 6 metals, titanium isn't one of them, but I also have a history of bad reactions to many things which don't show in testing.  For this reason my specialist put a small titanium pin in my jaw for 7 mo's as a tryout .. no problem.  Went ahead with the real thing - same brand as tester -  & 3 weeks later my mouth nose chest was horribly sore painful & burning.  I suspected the abutment so we changed that to zirconium (this also covered the screw so it wasnt in contact)..  no difference, so it obv was the implant. Waited another 4 weeks or so to be sure, no change, so it had to come out.  Symptoms gone within 3 weeks.   It was a doddle to get out btw, took no more than 8 mins & hardly bled at all even tho it had integrated.  My specialist said he'd never seen such a well integrated implant, he was practically in tears at having to remove it.
BTW that may just be the crowns rather than the implants?  
OMG, that's EXACTLY what happened to me. I seemed okay with the implants, although started to get intense headaches and some on and off unexplained nausea. I have to make this short right now since I'm getting ready for work, but when I had the crowns put on my symptoms went through the roof - mouth burning (first symptom), blisters in my mouth, eczema, itching, out of body feeling, heartburn....I got the implants and crowns out and detoxed. I believe that the galvanization effect contributed to my symptoms pulling the metals into my body so that I had metal poisoning. I got the crowns off and let two weeks pass before I got the implants out (nothing changed in those two weeks). I'm good now - no more dental symptoms although I can be a little sensitive to other dental materials like plastics. Get them out! If you're in the tri-state area I know a dentist who would do it (he also practices in Europe). You will be so much better once your body is clean.
Where are you? There must be an experienced dentist in your area, who will take them out. You will get better! I know how hopeless it may all seem, but it isn't. Taking them out isn't that difficult and it seems as it seems. Our bodies have incredible healing power and, once you get what's poisoning you our of your system, you will get back to your old normal self.
Remembering back to a hair analysis ---beryllium was measurable, and this is a toxic metal that they are still using in some dental crowns and dentures.  Why I wonder?  It is carcinogenic.  Something else to think about besides the nickel.  

The medical and dental profession have an obligation to inform their customers as to what is going into their mouths and bodies!  In the future smart consumers with ask:  Who manufactured this?  Where is it from? What is in it????   What are my options?

just beat the record[?] .with 12implants[many of them mini-screws] removed in 2 hrs. have been trying 8 months. will really detox now.thanks to y'all for your info!will recount more when recovered.
KatyN23 [uk]
Wow, KatyN23!  That is incredible that you just had them all out in 2 hours.  When you are feeling up to it, can you share how you finally found someone to do this?  I look forward to hearing about your recovery and any changes/improvements in your symptoms... Congratulations!!
thanks, am lolling around bruised + battered today, but already breathing better, +feeling relieved.we're in england, my dentist in 30 years had never heard of such a thing.  he wanted "proof" of allergy, melisa test showed none except vanadium toxicity.he booked me in for the 6th june, then got cold feet +trundled me off to a teaching hospital consultant who gave him the go ahead as the implants were failing due to inflammation, wonder why?!!I had valium to get me through it, +now have a frightful temporary denture, + am trying to shunt juice down my throat.if anyone in the uk wants to message me privately I can let you know the name of that consultant, she is very fair, + although she won't openly admit to immune reaction, she did concede I was ill.I was rapidly sliding into senility! will continue progress report............KatyN23
Congrats on getting your implants removed. I know its a big step no matter how badly one feels. The temps are a little scary but you'll find the right solution in time. I opted for zirconium, my implant's been in over a year and haven't had difficulties with it yet. All the best to you on your road to recovery!!!
anyone know if the ada reads this sight?
I highly recommend Christa Davis's "steel standing", [only a few £/$s on kindle] covers every angle of the implantation nightmare, in her case, hip/knee/pacemaker. highlights muscle "myopathy" [deterioration] + recovery when offending metal removed. when you think of the chunks of metal involved in joint replacements, cervical etc, also stents, stents can't be removed!
I had escalating symptoms similar to yours, absolute beginner. 10 days after removal still weak + woozy, but notice I too can tolerate hot sunshine/hot baths, am regaining concentration + grip in my hands. am on a highly alkaline diet to help detox.
Agreed about the attitudes of dentists! An emergency situation arose and I needed to find a dental dummy quick. However, my emergency search turned into 6 weeks that eliminated most dentists in my area. I ended up driving 2 hours away to visit a dentist who seemed to be the best of the worst. Turns out that he may have been the worst of the worst. He didn't resolve my issue, pressured me while under anesthesia and laughing gas to have have a procedure done that we hadn't agreed on or talked about and when I didn't comply with what he wanted he filled my teeth terribly. I was pretty mortified after the whole thing and will be in a legal battle with him. I'll be glad if I walk away from this whole experience without any other terrible side effects of that clown's work.

Why can't dentists be more uniform, or at least more intelligent?  
Complain, complain, complain - your dentist must have some sort of professional body you can bring this up with-  - and leave reviews on public sites.  I only discovered recently here in UK we can put in a complaint online to the Care Quality Commission which will bring up the issue with the dentist on the next inspection.
I had one implant put in 7 weeks ago. After 3 weeks, developed on/off tinnitus; at 6 weeks tinnitus (ringing in ears) is non-stop. At more than 6 weeks, developed joint pain in hips. My surgeon said tinnitus coincidental. I expect to have it out before more things go wrong.

Fluoride corrodes titanium, as you note. But surgeons are not advising people not to use fluoride. I've been brushing my implant and all my teeth with fluoride until yesterday. Check out the research on fluoride and titanium implants and you'll see a lot, even though my surgeon insisted not a problem.

Everyone needs to report problems having/had to FDA. Otherwise they'll continue to say titanium dental implants are free of problems. We need to document so other don't suffer like us.

Let me just say I think I have a good surgeon. The titanium implant is the problem, not the surgeon.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16734365
http://www.rdhmag.com/articles/print/volume-33/issue-9/features/focus-on-implant-home-care.html
http://www.crestprohealth.com/pro-health-faq/ - my toothpaste. it corrodes titanium. been brushing my mouth and implant with it.
http://www.dental-tribune.com/articles/news/europe/9437_titanium_implants_may_carry_risk_of_corrosion.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12500173 study speaks to  removal of  metals and also refers to implants

tinnitus
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0940960211001993

Use Google Scholar. Much research on titanium dental implant.

I might add the entire concept of lodging a piece of metal in the skull that is known to leach aluminum is one of the worst ideas in modern dentistry.    

A genetic mutation thought to be present in a significant percentage of the population (MTHFR) renders the affected individuals unable to process toxins efficiently, especially heavy metals.  
Thank you for these articles and information!  Sorry about your tinnitus, Ilenpie.  I have had ringing in my ears every day after losing almost all of the hearing in my left ear - suddenly in 2011.  This was about 3 years after placement of my titanium dental implant. The ear affected is on the same side as my implant.  I was diagnosed with a chronic case of Lyme disease several months following my hearing loss, but I am still searching for answers... I have a hunch that my implant is playing a role in all of this.

Since the hearing loss, I have had all of my mercury fillings safely replaced with non-mercury materials, had an infected tooth (root canaled) extracted right next to the implant and have been to 4 oral surgeons about having the implant removed.  Not one of them is willing to do this, including Dr. C in Philadelphia - who does not think my health would improve once it is removed based on his experience of implant removals.  He even thinks it might be traumatic to my jaw to remove it.  

But how can all of my symptoms be explained?  I have buzzing, tingling, burning, bug crawling sensations, and sometimes extreme jaw and dental pain all in this area.  (I also have these symptoms all over my body now, but definitely more pronounced in my left jaw).  

My body is testing high in aluminum and cadmium (not sure what is causing this!)  I also have the MTHFR defect so am very concerned about the heavy metals in my body. My levels are coming down for mercury and arsenic after chelating gently over the past year or two.  But I am very concerned about the high levels of aluminum and cadmium and will be chelating these ASAP.

I have recently started some strong Lyme herbs and Rife treatment after failing to see any improvement with antibiotics and other herbs.  The new treatment is definitely affecting me - as I have more fatigue, flu-like symptoms which are likely Jarish Herxheimer reactions.  The interesting thing is that my tinnitus seems to be calming down soon after the Rife treatments.  But I have become much more symptomatic in the vicinity of my left jaw and ear.  I am just waiting for the implant to fall out of the bone one day with all of the symptoms I have that are not visible in xrays and cat scans!

Does anyone here know how I could go about finding out the exact make up of the titanium implant that I had placed?  If I called the oral surgeon who did the surgery (I would never go back to him), do you think they would have the records as far back as 2008?  I want to find out if it contains aluminum and cadmium!
Yes they should have the records.Also if you want to get it removed its best for the surgeon to know the type of implant. I had mine put in 2008 and they still had the records. I really had to rely on my intuition to have mine removed as I was not getting the support from anyone except my husband and the two dentists I eventually found that supported me. My intution was right. It was a long journey, and im am glad it is over!
Hi, terrybrown12! Did your autoimmune issues improve after removal of the titanium implant?  
Your symptoms sound similar to what I had.  We had a small amount of toxic mold in our home.  The m.d.s who can recognize and treat toxic mold syndrome are few and far between.  I had a crawling feeling under the skin, especially on the back and arms.  There is a lab test from Realtime Labs in Texas that can test for mycotoxins to see if that is playing a part in affecting your health.  Many symptoms have improved since treatment for the mold syndrome.
I still have the implant, but the heavy metal is still placing a burden on my sluggish detoxification system.  I know I need to get it out, but traveling is a challenge with environmental sensitivities.  
Also--tea has fluoride in it.  I drank tea every morning for 30 years and then after the implant noticed it was making me feel worse.  No tea for me.
Yes! I am normal now! :)
Wow!  That is amazing.  So the zirconia implant (& cadaver bone?) must agree with you?
I got the information on my implant yesterday.  It is mostly titanium, but has 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium.  I cannot believe that it is okay to drill something with aluminum into a bone near your brain when they have found a connection between Alzheimer's disease and aluminum.  Unbelievable!  

Terry, my dentist is totally in agreement with me, but he does not feel qualified to take out my implant because it seems to be so securely in my jawbone.  He has given me a couple of names of oral surgeons that he got from his own research that would probably take it out but they are very far from home for me.  Also no insurance.  So it would cost me quite a bundle with no guarantees.  The whole thing is wrong!

Smileynow, I have been on cholestyramine for several months suspecting mold might be a player and it did not seem to make a difference for me.  We also moved in January of this year from our home of 20 years into a brand new condo on a slab!  So hopefully, there is no mold in my environment now!  But I do wonder if perhaps there is a fungus that has set up home in my sinus that has lingered.  (I have a cyst directly above the dental implant) My ND is going to look into treating this with lufeneron or a type of VEG spray without the gentamycin, which is harmful to the ear.  I have thought about the mycotoxin testing.  I have spent so many thousands of dollars on this illness.  I just hate to throw it away if I have already been on the cholestyramine and it didn't seem to do much.

Thanks for your suggestions and support!
I also had a crawling feeling under my skin, which went away completely when I had my implant removed. I had many many symptoms but like Terry, I'm now normal after removal. The metal my old dentist used on the back of my new crown was definitely a factor and the fact that I had three different metals in my mouth, and the implants, created a galvanization effect that was drawing the metals into my system. If you have other metals in your mouth removing them might help your symptoms until you can get the implant out. Good luck with finding a competent oral surgeon. You can and will get better.
Thanks for this information and for your encouragement.  My dentist has offered to replace the crown over my implant with a more compatible material.  (He says that he can tell it is a metal crown by the x-ray)  That could definitely be a factor.  I have used up all my dental benefits for this year so it would cost me quite a bit to have done this fall.  I am going to continue treating Lyme, getting the RIfe and Ondamed treatments, and then will have the crown replaced early in 2015 if I still cannot find an OS to remove the implant.  I would be so happy if this made a difference.
It WOULD be great if replacing the crown made a difference! I'm sure you've thought this through but the only drawback would be that if it didn't work you'd be faced with removing the implant and replacing the crown yet again if you chose to use zirconium implants or a bridge (btw, I'm fine with zirconium!). Would your dentist replace the crown now with a non-metal temporary? That would give you a good idea without the added expense. My old dentist replaced my toxic metal crown with the metal Maryland bridge I'd had previously, and I had no relief in the three weeks I gave it, but I've always been curious as to how many of my symptoms would have been relieved if I'd given that a fair trial.
Yes, I hate to throw my money away!  To be honest, I've been thinking about not replacing this implant with anything if I have it removed.  It is molar #14.  I have already lost #15 due to an infection in the tooth and surrounding bone (I developed a fistula in the roof of my mouth that was the tell tale sign).  Not sure I want to even try zirconium.  A temporary is a good idea though.  It would be amazing if that is all I needed.  Thank you for your suggestions :-)
It's great that you have the option not to replace the implant. If you wanted to do something, you could probably get a zirconium bridge if you teeth to support it on either side to avoid more metal. You could also do nothing, although you'd have some shifting, but that probably wouldn't be the worst thing. My missing teeth are in the front so it's necessary to replace them. I'm just relieved that I've had no reactions to the zirconium and that I found a good dentist to work with. There's got to be someone out there skilled enough to remove your implant. Don't give up! There is light at the end of this tunnel!
I don't think I could get a bridge, because there would not be any tooth on one side to support it.  But still, it is not that visible from the front.  So you are right, there would be some shifting and I would not be able to chew on that side with much success.  But when I compare these deficits with the life I am living now, I think I would prefer living without the implant.  I guess the problem is not knowing for sure that this is my problem and there is a risk involved...

I am going to try chelating all of the heavy metals out of my body in the next few months and then in early 2015, I will get my crown replaced and see if that helps.  If I continue to have these symptoms after this, I will probably pursue the implant removal more aggressively (if that is possible!).

Thank you for your support and encouragement!!
Ridding yourself of dental metals and regaining your good health is much more important than esthetics or allowing your teeth to shift. Since my ill health, I've been reading a lot about digestion though, and believe that my system was vulnerable before I had the implant due to "leaky gut syndrome" from too many antibiotics, sugar, etc. I've since fixed my digestion, which in addition to removing my implant and crown, has helped me to recover (if you're interested, read the Body Ecology Diet). So, sorry to sound like some kind of momma bird, just make sure you fully chew your food on the one side of your mouth. :)

I know how scary it is to contemplate removing an implant, especially considering the expense of the implant. If you find your not getting better though, I would highly recommend that do it. My symptoms are gone and I don't regret my choice at all. I haven't once wished I left the implant in!

I'm really curious about the metal detoxing your doing. I was rereading Mark Hyman's book, The Ultramind Solution and he talks about the prescription agent DMSA. I've only used zeolite, which may be sufficient, but I'm wondering if you know of something else?

Be careful about chelating while you still have metals in your mouth - the metals will still be leaking into your system so you may not notice healing effects .. and with mercury I was told chelating while it's still in your fillings will suck even more of it out from your teeth into your bod.

As far as shifting teeth are concerned I think it might depend on the amt of bone you have under adjacent teeth.   I had a molar out 18 mo's ago & an implant out 4 mo's ago and nothing has visibly shifted so far.   One of my dentists was discussing a patient whose teeth had not shifted 'til 10 years after an extraction.

I'm looking a Duraflex flexible partial with ceramic teeth - tested loads of different materials & those are 2 of the few that don't make my mouth burn.
I am seeing a naturopath who uses several gentle and safe methods for chelation.  But she is very concerned about the cadmium and aluminum in such high concentrations in my body.  Because of this, she wants me to see an integrative physician who specializes in chelation.  From what I understand he uses DMSA, EDTA and other chelating agents intravenously - but I don't know what he will want to use on me until I meet with him.  I believe a lot depends on your levels and other health factors.  

I just had the last of all of my mercury fillings replaced, so I am in pretty good shape that way.  In fact, my mercury levels have come down in the last 2 years, but are still a bit high.  I am also very high in arsenic!  It seems my body is having trouble detoxing these metals!  I have the MTHFR genetic mutation and wonder if that is playing a role.

I don't sweat much anymore when I exercise and sweating is a really important way to detox.  Lyme has probably messed with my endocrine system.  I think it messes with so many things.  So there will be many steps to feeling better for me.  I hope I am on the right path.
lots of support & discussion re Lyme & detox on Planet Thrive planetthrive.com - worth dropping by ;)  How did you find out about your MTHFR mutation?
I missed the fact that your mouth burns when I first read your post. I haven't read many people state their mouths burn related to the titanium implants, but, that was the first sign I had that I was in trouble after I had my crown placed. I didn't have my crowns placed until a year after I had the implants. With the implants, I started to get headaches and had nausea but several weeks after I had the crowns put in, my mouth started to burn something terrible. As soon as the crowns were placed, they felt dull and odd to my tongue. I have no doubt that the burning and many of the other symptoms were due to either the crowns or a combination of the crowns and implants. It took me almost a year to be able to handle resin temps or the invisilign I'm doing now. At first, the resin temps stung my tongue and the invisilign created red striations on my gums.

A good but conventional oral surgeon (friend of family) also pointed out that the combination of the metals was most likley causing galvanization. Do you have any other metals in your mouth (including the titanium?) I believe it takes three metals for the galvanization effect to occur.
No metals left apart from a post in a root canal deep under a crown.  The tissue around it is apparently dead so not likely to be interracting in any way but who knows.   My specialist also discovered someone has left a tiny broken metal file in a root canalled tooth - that was decades ago - didn't tell me of course - that's still there.  If they tried to remove either I would lose the teeth apparently.

Interesting you were able to tolerate invasalign eventually.   It was in the back of my mind that maybe I was hoping for too much to deal with denture material so soon after the titanium implant was removed, but I have so many years of weird reactions to things which made no sense I just accepted this was another.  I finally have a specialist diagnosis of mast cell activation disorder last month (not the worse sort which is Mastocytosis, but the more difficult to diagnose sort- of course! taken 17 years to get there!)
oops sorry I just realised u were talking to Bluebird !  

Still would love to know how you got the MTHFR mutation diagnosed?  I've seen this come up a few times for those with multiple chemical senstivities..
I went to a neurologist who sees a lot of Lyme patients and he helped me figure out the MTHFR mutation with some blood work.  I sent away for the 23andme genetic profile testing kit as well. I have been on Planet Thrive a number of times. (thank you for suggesting though :-))  There are so many people out there struggling with this illness.  It is like living a nightmare because the mainstream medical community does not even recognize it. Instead, we are accused of our symptoms being in our head or seeking attention! The incredible thing is that for 57 years of my life when this all hit me, I had gone for decades without needing any meds except an occasional advil!  I exercised daily, ate a healthy Meditteranean diet, had gone back to school to get my master's degree and I was enjoying my life, giving back to society by helping others. Whatever it is that has hit me has turned my life upside down.  

I took heavy duty antibioitcs for a year after my diagnosis, but have not gotten any relief.  I theorize that perhaps some of the bacteria and biofilms are hiding out in the area of my implant and perhaps that is why I am so symptomatic in that area.  I have tingling, crawling and odd sensations elsewhere too, but my symptoms are most intense near my left ear that has gone deaf and the nearby implant.  24/7 horrid tinnitus too :-(((((  I hope we will figure it out soon. Thanks for listening to me complain!
Similar story here -  was never ill!  'til MCS hit me in my late 40's.  Now *everything* I have to do to get by in the 21st century is is fight & a struggle.  I help to run the Environmental Illness Resource so I see so much damage being done to people, suicides even.    I think there will be critical mass soon, a good few of us are now getting MCAD diagnosis for MCS..MCAD is an 'official' condition & MCS is not yet.  It is only just lately we have come under this heading & mainstream specialists giving this diagnosis
ask their patients ''what kicked this off?' Often it's some massive exposure to environmental toxins.   I really think a picture is going to emerge soon of how we're destroying our biology with overdoses of artificial chems, inappropriate implant materials etc., -our bodies dont have the ability to recognise these toxins & to deal with them properly, so they can cause terrible mayhem.

Zeolite is used a lot to detox heavy metals, but no sure it removes titanium, I've emailed a few companies for info on that but no reply..

You two are obviously more informed about MCS than I am, so this may be a niave question, but have you looked into the Body Ecology Diet? My chemical sensitivities started in my mid-forties and culminated ten years later when my mouth felt like it was on fire due to the titanium implants and crowns. I've been following BOD's principals on and off for about a year and sensitivities are improving immensely. I was getting so bad it really scared me but now I can tolerate plastic in my mouth, smelling mild perfumes (I don't wear them), and traffic fumes to some extent. Sherry Rogers books helped me too, especially her "detox cocktail," which I take daily. It's a combo of reduced glutathione (400-800mg), Lipoic Acid (300-600 mg), and a teas vitamin C powder (I use caps). When my symptoms were acute, I could feel them lesson within an hour of taking this combo.  
You can read quite a bit about the dental cavitations caused by routine extractions & root canals on biologicaldentalhealth.  They are implicated in MCS as well as other ailments.  
Yes I looked at it, seemed to remember it involved low carbs which I do very badly at (the only diet I couldn't follow back in my experimental days) .  Also I can't take supplements at all - herbal/ probiotics/vits - apart from v low dose liquid vit/mins.
I had a sort of 'scan' once for these cavitations which suggested I had some - my alt.dentist then did a minor op to remove what he thought was necrotic tissue under some molars.  Didn't make any difference to my health tho, unlike having the mercury amalgams removed, which made an immediate difference.  
If anyone wants to post any of this on http://www.ei-resource.org/ you are welcome to do that - makes for more awareness, it comes up quite high in google searches ;)
I've had dental cavitation treatment with ozone injections for several weeks. It did not seem to help, unfortunately.   Also have gone gluten free, dairy free, sugar free with little difference in my bothersome symptoms. But I did feel better with less bloating! Fortunately for me, I do not suffer from MCS.  That must be so very challenging.

Interestingly, my ND just ordered me a nasal spray (VEG spray) from a compounding pharmacy.  It contains EDTA to break down biofilms and 2 antibiotics.  One of them is very 'ototoxic' (damaging to the ears) so the pharmacist replaced that with difulcan as an antifungal. This spray is doing something in there that no meds have done!!!  I can literally feel and hear something sizzling in my sinus, skull and face.  My tinnitus is quieting down and there is an odd smell in my nose, like chemicals and garbage (gross I know!).  I have some mild flu-like symptoms.  I hope this means my immune system is fighting for me.  I wonder if the spray is helping to dissolve that cyst over my implant.  I will keep you posted!
oo that is interesting, never heard of an antibiotic nose spray, or an antifungal one come to that.  Yes keep us posted.  I'm off to my GP next week as it happens due to sinus infection I've had for 7 weeks, soon as I stop the salt washes it's back with a vengence..was going to ask if there's such a thing as an antibiotic nose spray!   I can't tolerate oral antibiotics or oral antifungals,  both send me into shock, but topical stuff not so bad.
I met a friend yesterday who lives abroad and I see only once a year. She couldn't stop commenting of how different, healthy and energetic I looked this summer. And with a different, much healthier skin colour. The last time she saw me I still had the implant.

I am posting this because I am so sick of the doctors, who were saying that I was imaging it and that my symptoms were due to stress, age, menopause beginning (at 39?!!!) or another illness, but not the implant.So, no, I didn't imagine or fake the fatigue, headaches, panic attacks and the general sense of feeling weak, sick, and slowly poisoned. It took me years to convince myself and a doctor to remove the nasty thing. The medical community has a lot to learn.
Anyone with complaints or problems with their dental implants should call the FDA to provide that information so there can be documentation of those issues. Were you warned not to use fluoride because it corrodes the implant? Let the FDA know your health issues that you experienced after the implants.
Phone for FDA consumer complaints of FDA-regulated products (includes dental implants) here: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/ReportaProblem/ConsumerComplaintCoordinators/ucm2008077.htm

I saw an ENT who said that my developing tinnitus 3 weeks after getting a titanium dental implant was coincidental and the implant had nothing to do with 24/7 ringing in my ears. I have no doubt a doctor will tell me the joint pain I developed 7 weeks after getting the implant is also coincidental.

It's fascinating how many people have similar symptoms after implants and they're all "coincidental" to their recently getting implants. BS.

I was in very good health before the implant, now I'm having health issues. I'm not risking my health further and will ask the surgeon to take it out.

Shameful. Titanium putting people's health at risk. My mother's surgeon for her hip plant said they used to have many issues with titanium hip plants and that's why they switched to ceramic hip implants, which don't' produce the problems titanium did.

Everyone don't use fluoride toothpaste! It will corrode your implant and send titanium leaching into the body. Many published studies on this.

Removing metal from mouth helps many. Study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12500173

Hello!
I'm just jumping in this but if anyone can give me any info?! My brother got several surgeries (spine and knees) almost 2 years ago. He has been having severe health issues since then. I'am desparately trying to find a Dr. in the US who specializes in metal allergies. If anyone can give me any information or references, I would be extremely appreciative! Thank you!
The Environmental Health Center in Dallas can test for metal allergies.  You can also look into the Melisa test or a lymphocyte transformation test from Orthopedic Analysis.  My experience is that even with a positive test from Melisa or Orthopedic Analysis the dentists would sooner wipe their behinds with the test results that believe the implants are contributing to ill health, especially if it looks like a surgery could possibly leave you worse off.    

Your brother may be able to take injections to desensitize himself to the titanium, or the implant may have caused "implant syndrome' where the implant serves as the tipping point at increasing other pre-existing sensitivies.  The Environmental Health Center in Dallas has a protocol for that.  I have not been there myself, but have read about it.

I had a dental implant in May of this year and it took me 4 months to realise the correlation between my declining health and my implant.
My symptoms were/are sore chest muscles/intercostals (I was diagnosed with costochondritis and anxiety through this period as doctors did not know what was wrong with me), anxiety,foggy brain, sensitivity to light/music, sore/stiff legs and arms, fatigue, back acne and most frightening a tremor that goes from my jaw and spreads to my arm. The tremor only developed after the crown was placed (the combination of cobalt chromium and sealing the implant was the straw that broke the camels back). I had the implant removed last Tuesday (23 Sep 14) and felt almost immediate relief.
One week on and I am feeling about 70% better. The tremor has subsided but is still present.
It is difficult not to get overly worried about these symptoms as googling them leads to all sorts of scary conditions such as Parkinson's and MS.
I know some people have had success post implant removal but I was wondering if anyone could lead me through a time line of their recovery so that I can know what to expect without freaking out and before I bombard the doctor again to make her test for  what could be possible long term side effects from the implant.
Any help would me much appreciated.

It sounds like your are feeling much better already!  From what I understand it is a build up of toxins that is causing trouble.  Have you tried supplements such as liposomal glutathione from Readisorb and timed release vitamin C?  There are other detoxing supplements you can read about as well.  
I have been helped quite a bit from using an infrared sauna (Therasauna), and sitting in the sun 20 minutes per day to help reset the immune system.  It all is a matter of decreasing the total load of toxins your body has to deal with and assisting it with the detoxification process.  
Please can I have the name of this oral surgeon Thx. Karen
I need the name of a good oral surgeon in New york to remove my implant. The 3 d scan shows the implant is only 2ml away from the nerve and zi could be left permanently numb in my mouth from the removal
it's starting, folks! melisa medica foundation facebook;leading  implantologist of more than 50 yrs standing, dr jean paul davidas admits he's seriously concerned that metal ions from implants can cause serious health problems. this in an interview to dental tribune magazine.I wonder if he'll set up a fund from his ample profits over 50 yrs poisoning patients to compensate them for the stress+ suffering they endured? 3months after having all mine ripped out my asthma is slowly loosening up, but I still haven't recovered all my strength.I'm doing the dr robert  morse detox with graduates here in england of his detox school, herbs, raw fruit, veg +juices to get my lymphatic system moving.friend of mine, not english, inquired if I'd got all the plutonium out of my teeth yet!
FINALLY! This needs to become public knowledge!!!!!
This thread honestly saved my life in my darkest times and has encouraged me to really speak about my experience with as many people as possible. It has resulted in 5 people, through friends and friends of friends tracing their unexplained illness/depression/fatigue to the source- their mental implants.
I have unexplained high blood pressure but also with mercury present.  I am health freak and a pro--obvious eating al the right things and eating taking the right supplements.  Anything that is a net stressor on the system can and is likely to increase bp.  I was desensitized to the allergy of the titanium--but the negative affects of the implant are with me after eight years of bad health despite respites of good health that did not last.

My bio dentist now agrees with me and rejected the opinion of another bio dentist in his same office that advocated immediate removal of the implant.  By ART--it is hurting me in unknown and substantial ways.

I surely hope I can remove it without shattering my jawbone.
Mine came out easy after 4 years. You just need to fine the right surgeon.
Trying to do the surgery asap.  My life has been a wreck since it was installed.  I need all the help and info I can get re the device you describe--by upper jawbone is very delicate and one fears it will crack--it is close to the sinus joint and bone grafts will be required--where do they get the bone?  From my mouth?

David
Hi Terry
Have you started a blog? I am really interested in this and would be happy to contribute.

No time to start a blog just yet, though one is desperatly needed or a website. Its on my to do list!
Hello natslondon,

I am just about to have my implant out. Could you tell me more about how it was for you? Did it go easily? I have mine in since March 2014, having several symptoms 4 days after the implant was put in. I had strange dizziness, head symptoms and imbalance towards the left side where the implant is actually. Here in Hungary the dentists and surgeons try to frighten me, that it is so complicated to bring it out, and also denying that it can be from the implant. They simply do not want to have this case in their clinical record. Please tell me how the removal was? If they do not do it here for me, I am prepared to go to England.

Thank you so much!
Hi Terry,

Ahh, it is good to hear about cases where the implant came out easy. I have the feeling that the dentists and surgeons try to frighten me here in Hungary, so that I would decide not to do it, so that my case will not be in the clinical medical record...
Could you tell me which tooth it was?
Mine is upper left 5th.
I would love to find a good surgeon.

Thank you!
I had two a back tooth and upper front right. It is crucial you have someone remove it that is confident and knows what they are doing.
Hi. I had mine removed by the dentist that put it in. He had never taken one out before and was hesitant as it has fused to the bone. It came out very easily and other than some pain for a week after my mouth has healed completely.
It's the neurological side effects that I am struggling to get rid of.
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
I found the neurologial issues took some time, but did resolve with healthy living and detox habits.
Terry
Now I have the Neuro saying that I have occipital  neuralgia, which I guess is in line with all the inflammation that I had due to the allergic reaction to the metal.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired, I try to stay positive but it feels like every few weeks I just crash!
Can't help the mind wondering into dark places and thinking it is something else.
But the metal makes all the sense!
Hi could you place message me the details of your dentist. I am in the same problem, I haven't spelt for 3 nights use to the pain and dentist says he cannot do anything and I have to wait. Am in tooooo much pain. Finding a good dentist is very difficult. Please help me
http://www.robertgammal.com/OtherPages/Implants.html
http://americasimplantdentist.com/dental-implants-dangerous/
Viewing 1001-1198 comments: