Alzheimer's Disease Community
Alzheimer?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Alzheimer?

The doctors say my aunt has alzheimer, from one day to the next she got so bad, I think maybe she had a stroke or something,  She refuses to eat, she repeats the same word, over and over,like 100 times in a few minutes,  she doesn't talk and has to be on oxygen all the time, they say oxygen isn't getting to the brain.  I don't know, i never knew anyone with this disease.  Can anyone tell me if this is the norm for someone with Alz?  Does this mean she is going to die soon, since the doctors are saying we should "keep her comfortable"?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you
You can go to the Library for sources of the stages of Alzheimer's or contact the Alz's Assoc in Chicago.
My Mother had Alz's for years and yes, it is very normal for the person with the disease to repeat themselves. Their short term memory is almost erased and they don't really remember asking the questions much less remembering if you answered. Because they eventually become bedridden they do have small/mini strokes. She actually can not remember how to chew or swallow or if she even ate of if she feels full. The disease destroys all motor functions one at a time. You need to read a book you can purchase on Amazon.com called the 35 hour Day. It explains the # of stages and what to expect.
Any other questions of help I can be to you, please ask.