Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
preventing Alzheimer's

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

preventing Alzheimer's

My mom and my aunt (mom's sister) are both in their mid 80's and suffering from Alzheimer's. My mom was the first one diagnoised 6years ago, then my aunt 5 years ago. Is there anything proven, that can help with prevention. I was told family history is a good indicator for getting Alzheimers's. So now I am very concerned. What would you recommend I do to help prevent this disease.
  • ALZ (7 replies):
    hi dr thank you for your time . my mothers moter had ...[more]
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Twinbee ,  
Alzheimer’s disease is associated with brain damage and is thought to be caused or aggravated by free radicals and vitamin deficiencies . The disease may be prevented be eating a highly nutritious diet rich in antioxidants – vitamin C , E , vitamin B complex , multiminerals and Omega 3 .Please use natural supplements for these .Exercise plays an important role in keeping the body and mind healthy . Keeping  risk factors like diabetes , hypertension , smoking  and exposure to environmental pollution under control may help in delaying the onset of disease . People who are mentally alert and active and engage in intellectual activities such as reading, playing board games, completing crossword puzzles, playing musical instruments, or regular social interaction show delayed onset or reduced severity of Alzheimer's disease .  Hence the basis of prevention of Alzheimer’s disease lies in a healthy diet and a healthy living . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
I have read about Okinawa (Island) where Alzheimers is virtually non-existent, until the people move away and develop other lifestyles. I think the Okinawa diet is somewhat similar to what you recommend above.

My question is do you think the Okinawa diet is a good choice? Minor acceptable memory issues have already set in for my 55 year old brother, so do you think strictly following your diet can hold off progression of the disease for him or does it never stop once it takes hold?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Birdie,
Good nutrition and lifestyle changes do delay the progression of the disease and slow down the adverse effects and brain damage. So taking care to take excellent nutrition and intellectual activities does help a lot in holding the disease from progressing. Take care and regards!
are they not letting you post anymore i not see where it lets you
well ask dr a question what i mean
A related discussion, memory loss and eyes rolling back was started.
A related discussion, learning how to deal was started.
A related discussion, mri was started.
A related discussion, Impresssive information was started.