Anal Cancer Community
anal fears after several examinations

WELCOME TO THE ANAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Anal Cancer, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

anal fears after several examinations

Let me begin by saying that i have Health Anxiety, for those that don't know what that is, it's a mental condition where you worry over your health excessively, finding things, checking, it's a very serious condition which i have suffered with for 9 years.

My most recent worry started in april, I found what i thought was a lump in my rectum, i got sent by my doctor for a sigmoidoscope examination, i was given the all clear, but it did not help and i got reffered a second time, i accepted there was nothing wrong but it was short lived, about 4 weeks later i just had to check to make sure, at first i was happy i couldn't feel anything, but this time i pressed against the anal lining a bit harder, feeling the muscular parts beneath, i felt a kind of strip of muscle that ran from the anus to the pubic bone area, just next to the prostate, i could feel this strip on both sides, what worried me is that the one on the left was a straight,smooth strip, but the one on the right had a kind of lip to it, i could get my finger underneath, kind of flip it about, i was very distressed by it. I went and told my doctor who said that you don't get cancers in this area, but examined me anyway, he said i can reassure you that it's all just normal muscular structure. I still wasn't convinced and saw 2 other doctors, both felt the area and said it all feels normal, and repeated what the first doctor said, you don't get cancers in this muscular region. But i was hoping that between me and the doctor, we could come to some agreement as to whether he had actually felt the exact thing i was describing, he said it just feels normal, but couldn't say for sure he was feeling what i had felt, he kept assuring me it was all perfectly normal, but due to my mental problems i am finding it very hard to accept and am still very worried about what i felt. I am seeking helpful advice here, i don't want any smart arsed comments about how many times i have been to the doctors or that i am mad etc etc, so anyone wishing to just state the obvious, don't bother. Only helpful advice please, preferably doctors or people with knowledge.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, with any malignancy besides tumor growth and local symptoms patients tend to have other symptoms also, like loss of appetite, weight loss, malaise and fatigue. In the absence of these symptoms it's unlikely you have any malignancy. Also, cancer cells will grow into tissues or organs which will inturn produce local symptoms. As you have been examined thoroughly, its unlikely you have a malignancy. Worrying so much is not good for you, you should enjoy life too. If things are really bogging you down and you need help consult your primary care physician, he will guide you appropriately. Take Care and Hope this helps!