Aneurysm Community
Flying in a plane after a brain stem bleed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Can a person fly after having a brain stem bleed? It's been17 months since it happened to my husband. He's totally disabled from the bleed but eats pureed foods and thickened liquids, talks and as full memory and can move his left leg and arm but has no feeling. His eye sight is poor but he can read with strong reading glasses. I want to relocate to Oregon in the future and wanted to know if someone in his condition can fly in a plane across country.
I think you would have to consult both your husband's doctor and the airline that you want to fly on.  There are too many variables to give a pat answer.  You will have to think ahead about things like, will his stamina hold up for the length of time that you expect the trip to take?  Can he use an airplane restroom?  Will you have to change planes, and can he handle  that, and how would you manage getting from one gate to another, under time pressure?  Who is going to help you in the airport?  Can he even sit up in a wheelchair, and how and where would he sit in the plane?  What if your flight was canceled or got delayed or re-routed?  What if you ended up sitting on the tarmac for several hours because of some scheduling glitch?  What if you got delayed overnight?  The trip would have to be planned out in excruciating detail.  He might be able to be transported on a nonstop charter plane, if not on a regular public airliner.  There are air ambulances, also.  Only his doctors can answer the question of whether he has adequate medical stability to even attempt this.