Anxiety Community
Hypertension

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Hypertension

I am 30 years old and I have never checked my blood pressure, except two times in ER after having  a panic attack. First time it was 140/90, and for less then a ten days while having another panic attack my blood pressure was  130/80.
I suffer from anxiety and my hearth sometimes beats faster then normal, I can feel my pulse raising and that's when I always thing that my blood pressure is high. Is that a sigh of a high blood pressure or am I just being to sensitive?
My father have high blood pressure, he is now in his 70., not overweight. Now, what I am concern about,  are  genes  responsible for  blood pressure or is that up to  lifestyle?

Your heart racing does not necessarily mean that you have high blood pressure.  120/80 is normal, so your blood pressure really hasn't been that high.  Additionally, your blood pressure is going to be high while you are having a panic attack, and can be high even when you have it checked if you are worrying about it.  High blood pressure is hereditary, but your lifestyle can definitely counter that.
Anxiety and panic can definitely cause our BP to go up.  I actually have 'white coat' syndrome (or whatever you want to call it), when I go into the doc's office that he just shrugs it off and tells me to check it out of the doctor's office once a month or so or he waits until the end of the appointment, which at first also made me nervous.  My BP can be initially as high as 150-160/90-95 when I am really nervous but just a few minutes later it is down into the 120's/70's 10 minutes later.  

What does your doctor think?  Have you been getting help for your anxiety?  
Thank you for your reply. I went through all check ups before I knew I am having a panic attacks. And after I found out that everything is fine I stopped visiting a doctor. So I didn't ask for further medical help.

The reason way is that I really believe that I can go through this without medications. After using the meds people are going through crises again, so why don't I do that now. I don't have any reason not to.
I start working on my self, some days are better that others but that's part of every program (even with meds). After ER I had only one panic attack couple months ago, which is good.  I still have anxiety moments and I know that it wont be easy to get rid of anxiety completely especially because it was a way of life. But not having a panic attacks is huge for me.

I know that my BP was not that high but that is what concerns me the most when I feel anxious. That my pressure will just rise and thinking about it just make my hearth beats faster.
I don't even know why am I so concern about it maybe because I have a genetic predisposition or because I hear a lot about it. I eat healthy, exercise and I am in a pretty good shape.  
CRSeaside commented on photo
meegWpaw commented on Rosy?
CRSeaside commented on Jade59's status