ANXIETY
COMMUNITY
Can fear of HIV cause symptoms of HIV
by scared352, Aug 20, 2008
Can Anxiety of contracting and STD cause physical symptoms making you feel like you have an STD? In my case I have recently been exposed to a very low risk situation. My doctor and HIV speacialist agree that the situation is very low risk. I have asked questions here on the STD forum and they also agree that it was low risk. My mind is grappled with fear of HIV now. I have feeling of being a killer having possibly exposed my wife. ( please know I did a really dumb mistake and have been honest with my wife all along.) My sypmtoms are 1. night sweats 2. upset stomach 3. coated toung 4. nausia 5. tingeling 6. sensitive skin 7.nightmares. 8. loss of sleep 9. loss of appetite 10. soar throat.. My doctors keep telling me that all this is anxiaty and nerves. I am still in the waiting period before i can test for HIV and get a better picture to know if im infected or not. To tell the truth I am scared more that I have ever been in my whole life. Please let me know your thoughts and yes I have learned my lesson.
Member Comments (22)
by manthalatrice, Aug 20, 2008
To be honest with you, a lot of things cause those same symptoms........even ANXIETY. It seems to me that you are worrying so and this is how your body is reacting. You have got to calm down. Question........Is the person you were active with have HIV, or are you guessing? What I am asking is are you scared they could possible they have it or do you know? Your mind can make your body manifest any symptom. It seems to me that you are totally obsessed with HIV. Have you diagnosed with an Anxiety Disorder? Do you take medications? Listen to your Doctors, and when the time come take the test. Hopefully you are negative. And when your results come back negative , please do your best not to put yourself OR your wife back in this situation. It seems that you really show signs of anxiety. You should seek some help. Best wishes. Keep us posted. We are here for you.
by scared352, Aug 20, 2008
This all happened at a strip club and I am unsure of her HIV or STD status. I posted this question in the HIV section of the forum. All my doctors, wife and freinds who are aware of the incident have all told me that I am over reacting.   I was at one point drinking Paxel when I was younger and stopped because it gave me cotton mouth. I never thought I needed it again. I dont think they diagnosed me with anything except anxiaty. I have been crying on and off for weeks and days. I feel like I murdered my family by possibly bringing a sickness home. Since this insident I cant stop myself I end up on the internet double checking my symptoms to insure that I have or have not contracted HIV and Herpes. Yesterday was the worst I felt like I couldnt even extend my arms and just wanted them close to my body. AJ in the STD forum and the guys on the HIV forum feel low to zero risk but for some reason Im sure I got it and just waiting for a death sentence. I guess they are all right and this is anxiaty. It has been a month since the incident and I have lost 15 LB.  I have set up an appointment with a councelor for Thursday at 5:00 pm to see if I can sort this out some. Below is the details of the incident.  

I was at a strip club very drunk and the stripper dancing for me was seemingly excited. I leaned back to enjoy a grind session I put my head back and opened my mouth. She had been working her privates with her hand and then placed her fingers and hand in my mouth there was an access of vaginal fluid there. Ok 17 days post this incident I have had a PCR test, p24, and antiboy test. I have good insurance so i went to an HIV speacialist Doctor. My family doctor and the HIV doc feel pretty sure I am not infected. All tests came back negative. Could my mind really be making me feel what I think are symptoms. (night sweats, itching, upset stomach, soar throat, weekness, tingle in arms and legs, dizzyness, etc. and this has been going on for weeks.  PS.. trust me ill never do anything like this again.   ( please answer back and let me know your thoughts.)
by scared352, Aug 25, 2008
why has no one responded? Is it becuase the circamstances related to my incident? I am sorry I am an adult that has made an adult mistake. I have never cheated on my wife of 12 years (dated for almost 10 and didnt cheat either)  and I am a good husband and father. I just did something really stupid i am the first to admit it. Please everyone seems to think that my symptoms are cause by stress and on the other forums they asked me to come here. I was hoping you could give me guidence to see if these are physical or mental symptoms. My councelor really just listened to me and didnt come up with an answer. Please can anyone in the anxiaty forums sympothise with my symptoms maybe they are the same and maybe there not. Just want some advice thank you.
by ali3674, Aug 25, 2008
Fear of anything can produce symptoms of anything, so the answer to your question is YES
by DONEWITHITNOW, Aug 25, 2008

I am so glad I found your post.  I have been going through a similar situation but for a different risk.  I read your situation and I want you to know 100% unequivocally you do not have HIV from this situation.  HIV cannot be transimitted by ingestion.  There are two reasons the mouth is a hostile environment for HIV and it would not be possible to transmit it this way and so is digestion.  If the disease was capable of being caught in this way then there would be confirmed cases of people catching it like that and it would be everywhere for you to find easily on the web.  It is a sexually transmitted disease ( you need to have sex, be the child of a baby who is breast feeding from an HIV + mother or be an IDU)  in 51% of cases and most of those are Male to Male only 11% are heterosexual and only 5% of those are female to male.  This is so unlikely there are not even statitistics available to quote you.  I better rephrase that this not unlikely it is impossible.  I am going through the same GUILT which is what you are suffereing and yes your mind is that powerful it can make you sick if you think you are.  I had a realer risk, oral sex.  I am so guilty I went and had a full panel took the cures even though I was negative and still believed I had every bacterial and HIV.  This is not a whose crazier contest but I definitely feel your pain.  I had HIV testing done six times all the way to 176 days and I still doubt my results.....what if the nurse used a dirty needle?  what if I have a strain they did not test for etc. etc. etc.  Let me tell you all I have is incredible guilt and as a result anxiety.  I wish I could take my own advice I cannot but I will pass it on to you so perhaps I can get some merit points from above.  You are fine, you are human, we make mistakes  its how we were created despite best of intentions. some mistakes bigger than others and some monumental, collosal errors of judgement that as you know they pay for with their lives.  You had nothing of the sort furthermore your wife knows what you were up to and also thinks you are over reacting and she is right.  I hope that I can at some point return to myself I really do.  If you need to talk it helps me as much as you feel free to chime in to my name.  Have patience I try not to come on here too much as it stokes the flames if you know what I mean. I want you to know you are not alone and you will be fine and hopefully get over this, I wish I could talk to my wife about this she is and always was my best friend and the person i told everything to and now I have something I am keeping from her.  One thing I have learned through this ordeal is I like you am a good husband and a good father,  I made a mistake one page in my book of life. Your guilt rests on the fact that like me you had a high bar you used as a benchmark and now you feel somehow that your mistake changed the whole game.  It did not. some will argue with me but one thing has nothing to do with the other.  You had a little too much fun with a stranger, no intent to cheat, do something behind your spouses back, it just happened, you learned a hard lesson although I wish i were in your shoes, it is in the past.......let it go if you can.  i am here for you.....good luck all the best.
by Selenea, Aug 25, 2008
hi, from reading your posts I see that you are suffering from a groase act of guilt and yes I think the symptoms you are experiencing are more psychological than anything.

The night sweats, nightmares, loss of sleep, loss of appetite sound like emotional issues.  
by Selenea, Aug 25, 2008
.......just from reading your post that you felt no one responded was due to your description of the strip club incident shows that you have such guilt.  Would talking to a priest help, like a confession.  I don't know if you are a religious or spiritual person but maybe it will help.  I don't suggest you confiding to your wife about it, most women won't be very understanding even if you merely just had a lap dance.  

Try to focus on your fatherly and husbandly duties and eventually the guilt should pass.  We all have our weak moments.  There are men who do by far worse.

So what, you had a lap dance, you enjoyed it...whatever.

I thought strippers get tested for such things.  I sincerely doubt she had HIV.  You could try speaking to the manager about it or to the stripper.  It may ease your mind some more.  When will you go for testing.  
by dmcard, Aug 26, 2008
Hi scared352

You are beating yourself up over a stupid mistake. I have done the same, and have gone through the same feelings as yourself. I had a one night stand with a woman and cheated on my partner of 20 years.
Through guilt I convinced myself I had caught hiv. I have gone through the same symptoms as yourself including weight loss, sweating etc. I have had 4 rapid tests done in the uk at 12,14,15 and 18 months since that night, all negative but always start doubting the result. Three of them were done using blood from finger by NHS trained staff and one from a private doctor taking blood from vein. Every time I think of some reason to doubt the result which if you think about it is wrong to question the professionalism of trained staff. I always thought I was a intelligent adult but it is proving hard to break out of this condition despite medication. So I know what you are going through very well. I know this is not really giving you advice but hang on in there,  you have made a mistake. We all do, if you feel taking a test a 3 months do it and move on. Don't make the same mistake as myself and get into the cycle of repeat testing as it's hard to break.
Good luck.  
by DONEWITHITNOW, Aug 26, 2008

seems we are in the same boat if you need anything let me know.  I am rolling along like you hoping this will go away and I have avoided drugs and will do everything I can to do that as they may cause other issues.  The funny thing is I know I could alleviate all of this be leveling with her but that would destroy her my kids and ultimately me so what good is that?  In any event, suffering with you you are not alone.