Anxiety Community
Has anyone had experience with Buspar (buspirone) for Anxiety?

A community of people with Anxiety offering support. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

My psychiatrist prescribed buspirone (also called Buspar) for my anxiety. I have been free of any medication for a few months now. I am very sensitive to medication and cannot tolerate Effexor, lexapro, or other SSRI's. I also have tried a benzo and it was helpful, however I do not want to take benzos long term because of it's addictive properties and likelihood of tolerance. However, I need help with my GAD, I have pretty intense anxiety and am going to school to be an RN, which is stressful in itself! :) I am a little nervous to try Buspar! Please give me your two cents! I have not started it yet. Thanks!
Buspar either will work for you or it will not at all.  It is not a benzodiazapine and it is not a controlled substance.  In my experience as a patient, people develop a tolerance to it very fast and it just quits working after a while if it ever works to begin with.  I have extreme panic disorder.  I low dose klonopin and I have for a for almost a decade.  I do not believe it is as addictive as xanax or valium and often skip a whole days worth of doses.  Stay away from valium and xanax.  Remember I am not a doctor.  This is my experience as a patient.
Kelly Ann,

I also have a very difficult time with SSRI's, but have tried Buspar on two different occasions and I noticed zero side effects.  Unfortunately, I also noticed zero results.  
Yes I take klonopin .5mg as needed (when I'm having a bad night). I have medical anxiety problems so I'm always terrified to take meds. My panic attacks started with a bad reaction to Effexor... ever since I have never been the same. Klonopin has been the only thing that works for me but I am so scared of becoming addicted or building up a tolerance, does the same dose still work for you even after all these years?
All SSRI's do for me is make me incredibly dizzy and nauseous. It never used to be like that I was on Lexapro a few years ago and I never had a problem with it. I haven't tried my Buspar yet I'm so terrified of having another bad experience! What medication has worked for you?
MH Community Mgr uploaded new photos
specialmom School starts next week aft... Comment
Anxiety Tracker
Track Anxiety Symptoms