Anxiety Community
Sudden panic attacks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Sudden panic attacks

Over the last few days ive been having sudden panic attacks. My anxiety started about 6 or 7 weeks ago, tonight i had a panic attack that lasted for around an hour. and went to the doctor who did an ECG and this came back normal. Has anyone here had a panic attack lasting this long? It came on suddenly, and would start and stop, over and over again, and I am finding these extremely hard to deal with, it feels like a tightness in my chest and sick in my throat, and an overwealming feeling come over me. Even though I know its anxiety, its still really hard to come to terms that it is. Can anyone help me with some ideas or techniques to combat or at least reduce the simptoms? Many thanks to you all, its great to have somewhere to come to and people that understand.
Also I started Celexa 20mg 2 weeks ago, can medications bring on forms of anxiety?
hey ,here is a announcement of a  commonweal psychology  E-talks characterized by oriental philoso[hy &culture .I hope it will do you some favor ! Give yourself another chance,maybe it's just the door which opens onto a brand new world you are looking for.

E-Talks on “the cure to social phobia, OCD and depression”

Purpose: To help those who have been suffering from social phobia, OCD and depression, gain better understanding about themselves and the situation they’ve been through, as well as the forum to be more informative and diversified.

Speaker: Mr.Hei Xi, the founder of Hei Xi Psychological Counseling Center in Shang Hai, who has graduated from psychological department of Chinese Medical University , as well as suffered from social phobia, OCD and depression himself for more than 10 years .

Highlights:

Mr. Hei Xi makes use of oriental philosophy therapy, such as Buddhism, Taoism, Zen, Morita Therapy. By going through those philosophy, he realized that such self-low-esteem complex can never be removed forcibly. “But when we fully accept it, just let it be, it will disappear magically”. (Counter Therapy)

Based on Mr. Hei Xi’s more than 10 years’ research findings and experiences gained from the treatment process, he came up with his own so-called Easten or Natural Therapy. For instance, the treatment of Social Phobia, which includes 2 principles:

“ Principle 1:
The correction of low self-esteem (inferiority complex), and the build-up of self-confidence, namely “total acceptance of yourself”, In Eastern Philosophy Therapy, it is called “Original Form” or “to do nothing”, it is the root-removing principle.

Principle 2:
Behavioral Therapy, Exposure Therapy, Desensitization Therapy and NLP etc. A large amount of social practice can quickly remove the symptoms. It is symptom-removing principle.”

“The difference between eastern therapy and western therapy is like the difference between Chinese medication and western medication.”

Time: GMT 12:00-2:00 PM, December 10th, 2007 (Monday)

Platform: This forum will be held through a software called Team Speak, which is a quality, scalable application which enables people to speak with one another over the Internet.

Go to http://www.goteamspeak.com/, download the free client software, and connect to server’s address at: ts1.teamspeak.com.cn:8770

If you’re interested to participate, or for further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us at:

MSN: heixi_madeline @ hotmail.com

Hi, I understand what you are talking about.  I hadn't had a panic attack in MONTHS, until last week.  They are back with bang, too!!  The first one I ever had, it's been 4 years ago, so I don't remember exactly how long it lasted, but it was like what you talked about.  It started, stopped, started, and stopped so many times, it was unreal.  I have the tightness in my chest first...as the attack progresses, I have chest pain, sick at my stomach, and gasping for air.  I had one this past Thursday night that I had such severe chest pains with, that my chest was sore for SEVERAL days after.  One thing that seems to help me is if I practice my deep breathing exercises daily.  I don't know if the meds could cause the anxiety attacks, but it's definately worth checking into.  Maybe research on the web, or even call your doctor.  I wish you luck as I know exactly what you are going through.  Panic attacks are scary.  
I was very scared when I had my first few battles with panic attacks.  DO NOT WORRY!!!!
I have been through hell and back with panic attacks.  Yes, they can last over an hour.  I know it seems so long and painful.  I know many ways that I got my panic attacks/anxiety attacks under control.  I have been to the doctor for testing,etc as well.  Do not worry.  If you are interested in some easy tips, write me and I'll through them.  I have been just fine and content for the longest that I have ever been.  

Just a few QUICK tips...not much time today sorry!
-Stay away from stimulants like nicotene and caffine (in a lot of stuff)
-Eat a well balanced diet (processed flour/sugar is not good if too much is eaten)
  Your blood sugar must stay regulated or you will stimulate your anxiety!  Much research
-Exercize regularly
-I had to use meds, even though I hate the idea of it, only short term though.
  This helped to get it under control
-Make a change
  Is your job making you crazy?
  Is your relationship unhealthy?

I battled seperation anxiety and bulimia which makes attacks worse.  So do everything to be physically and mentally sound.  Be healthy.  Don't let your life get too chaotic or you will see hard times with attacks.  

Coping with attacks when they happen...
(mine used to last atleast an hour varying in intensity)

Pop a pill of recommended.  I had to but always took as little as possible.  Don't have to anymore
KNOW you will be fine.  You have lived through it before and many other people experience this
Stay POSITIVE!  As hard as it is, don't let your mind believe that something is wrong with you.
CRY-it helps to relieve the panic I've noticed
Breath in and out, don't hypervenalate
Call or talk to someone you are comfortable with...they'll talk you through it
(Make sure you feel comfortable with acting strange in front of them, make sure they can understand what you are going through)

Don't feel bad, I also had no clue what was gonig on, i have suffered from panic attacks for only about 3 months and they are hell.. I'm just now getting to the point were i can get through the attacks. I wouldn't start medication till about 2 weeks ago and I wish i would have sooner, it does make a difference (for me anyway) hang in there and just breath, as you can see there are tons of ppl on here that are willing to lend an ear (i'm one of them) I've made a couple great realationship on here. it nice to know that someone knows what your going through...
you'll be in ym prayers...
Hey thanks for all your comments they have been very helpful, It is definetly nice to hear from others that are going through similar things.

Im going to try some of those coping techniques you listed above Concernedcarrie.
especally the breathing exercises.

I wish you all well.
my panic attacks last between 1 - 2 hours. its completly normal. it taks a while for my heart to calm down. breathing, and concentration always helps :)
having someone there to talk you down is often a good way to calm down. even better, someone who's had anxiety or depression problems. they can relate to your symptoms, physical or mental, and sometimes if you get wrapped up enough in conversation, your anxiety goes away without you realizing it.
kbug1013 Hello Everyone!!!! Comment
1 hr ago
once in a lifetime experience
1 hr ago by kbug1013
MightyNole commented on New GMO
1 hr ago