Anxiety Community
Tense Muscles?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Tense Muscles?

For the past couple weeks my sternum and lower back have been hurting, not to the point where I can move but just an achy feeling. Once and a while I am short of breath but I believe it is caused by pulled muscles. I do have anxiety and I am probably making it worse then it really is. I am just really wondering if this could be a pulled muscle or something more than that. I do smoke and I am 20 years old. My job is very physically demanding and always have to keep moving, I really dont rest when I get home so I believe that I keep stressing the muscles even more, my chest and back are very tense in the morning. So I am really just wondering what this might be. Thanks Tom
We can't say, but it's always best to check out any new symptoms with your doctor before assuming it's anxiety.  You need to know if it is a pulled muscle or not, you may be doing more damage by not taking it easy, and having a physically demanding job like you do would make one lean towards it being a muscle.  But only a doctor can tell you this, and knowing for sure what it is will also ease your anxiety.  Take care.
Hi!! Of course, I'm no doctor but I can tell you based on experience that it seems like anxiety could be behind this. Of course you want to see a doctor if it bothers you enough and persists. I know that when my anxiety gets really bad I have horrible sleep and that causes my back to get all out of whack. My chiropractor has told me before that problems in your back, like a pinched nerve, can wrap around to the front, so sometimes an adjustment helps me with that. Of course if you are having breathing issues, quitting smoking would help, but you know that. Breathing sensations like shortness of breath, or more like a feeling I'm not getting enough air to my own satisfaction often couple with my anxiety and then everything is down hill from there. It's easier said than done, but relax and take some over the counter tylenol perhaps, or if you take anything for anxiety. If it keeps making you that worried or uncomfortable then give the doc a call. Hope this helps some.
mishymoshymarcy You are in some deep troubl... Comment
19 mins ago
Nighthawk61 commented on Embarrassing, but i n...
39 mins ago
andrea_hemingway95 added the Weight Tracker