Anxiety Community
Throat closing up & not breathing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to generalized anxiety, anxiety and eating, anxiety and sleeping, mood swings, panic attacks and panic disorders.

Throat closing up & not breathing

Hi everyone I am having a problem with my throat feeling like it is closing up and then I panic because it feels like I am not breathing.  It used to just happen sometimes and now it happens everytime I lay down to go to sleep.  Today I was in walmart and it happend  it really scared me.  My mom and dad told me it is from stress, but right now I dont feel all that stressed.  I was wandering if someone could tell me why this is happening or does it happen to anyone else.  Thanks
Definitely sounds like anxiety, I would go to the doctor just to be sure though.  Then that way you know what is is for sure and could work through it.  :)
If your throat was closing up or you couldn't breathe, believe me, you would know it. You are just too anxious and/or stressed. When I feel anxious, I sometimes feel like I can't breathe, but then I realize that I AM breathing and that I AM NOT going to die, so I just ignore the sensation the best I can until it goes away.
I have the same problem every night, as we speak I just awoke from my sleep 30 mins ago and I still feel this was, but just try to relax and know your ok, trust me I know its hard, I still have trouble relaxing but just know it will pass soon.
I too experiance the same thing as you. One thing i would suggest is this. The feeling that you are experiencing can be due to stress, but it can also cause stress. So it becomes a cycle that gets worse as you being to stress about it happening again. I would go see your GP and get 1 or 2 muscle relaxants or anti-anxiety pills, and when you feel it starting up again take 1 of them. If it helps with the feeling then you can rest assured that it is due to stress or just a muscle spasm. Sometimes just knowing this is enough to break the cycle and start getting away from it. If it is a muscle spasm it will pass in time as your body deals with it. I know from my experiance that it is a scarry feeling but the more you focus on it, the worse it will get.

Best wishes
Wow, I get this all the time too. I have always related it to anxiety. My anxitey actually started with my throat and feeling like it was going to close up. What I do when I start to get that I just drink fluids constantly. Knowing that I can swallow, I know that my throat is not closing up. I know it is a very scary feeling, but I think it is all anxiety related. Your mind can play nasty tricks on you. Good Luck.

Kristen
Feeling as if your throat is closing, or that you cannot breathe is actually a VERY common anxiety/panic attack symptom.  You say you do not really "feel" stressed.  That's the kicker...most panic attacks seem to come out of the blue...when you aren't "feeling" too badly to begin with.

I also think you should visit your doc, and start tacking anxiety issues, after, of course you get the "all clear" that your throat is, indeed, just fine.  That will probably give you some peace of mind as well.

Like another poster said...if your throat was "truly" closing up, and impeding your breathing..,.it wouldn't clear up and then return.  Call your doc...get the "all clear" and then start addressing the anxiety.

Keep posting here as well..most of us have experienced these exact kind of symptoms and know what you're going through.  You are FAR from alone in what you are going through.  We'll support you......hang in there, okay?
Thanks to everyone, I feel a little bit better to know it happens to other people.  I had the hardest time going to sleep last night, I kept thinking I was going to die in my sleep.  I am on medication 60mg remeron and 2mg klonopin.  I take them at night.  I just dont think it is what I need.  Today is the worst ever and I have no medication til the 17th. I do think I need something to relax me only to take when this tightness in my chest and throat happens.  I just do not know what to do it is miserable.  I think I am going to try to go see a regular dr. and talk to him instead of my phsycaritrst. Thanks for everyones help it is nice to have people to share this with.  
yeah anxiety can be difficult to deal with.  my therapist said on a scale of 1-10 that my anxiety disorder is at an 8.  im improving a little but im still not at full function.  you'll get through this, and i will too.  unfortunately it just takes some time.  
I just got back from the dr.  I had the worst anxiety of my life today, I have been worrying all day about my throat, my heart pounding so hard I could hear it, it was terrible.  The dr said my pulse was 127 and had me stay there until it lowered a little, they took blood and all that stuff, now that is something else  to worry me thinking about the results.  Any way she gave me.25mg xanax and said take 1 to 2 every 8 hours as needed for anxiety. I took them about 20 minutes ago and already I feel a little better, maybe that is because my stomach is empty from not being able to eat all day.  I am going to take them as directed and see if they help any.  I am on klonopin 2mg also, but only 1 one at night.  Do you think it is ok to take xanax during the day and klonopin at night?  I feel more relaxed now thanks for everyones help I will keep in touch.
There is a name for this particular anxiety symptom and for the life of me I cannot remember what it's called.  Someone help me out here!  This was one of my main panic symptoms.  Sometimes I would be talking to someone and all of a sudden I would think I feel my throat closing and that I could not breathe.  They key word here is "think".  Of course my throat wasn't closing.  Sometimes I felt a huge lump in my throat and that scared me...until I actually looked and noticed that it was my uvula touching the back of my tongue.  The more you focus on this symptom the worse it gets.  Try not to focus on it.  I agree with nursegirl.  Get the all clear from your doc and start focusing on your anxiety issues.  Good luck and keep us posted.  For what it's worth that particular symptom vanished for me once I realized that it was common.
OMG, its so good to know that this happens to other people.  I am getting the lump on my throat and my throat closing feeling more and more everyday.  I,ve noticed that when I go to the movies, the loud sound triggers my anxiety.  Last night it was really bad, I use VicksVapoRub and put some under my nose and it helps some.

Please let me know if other methods have been working for you.
Peaches, I am only reading now a post you did back in May regarding your throat closing up when you sleep.  I'm guessing the other respondents were correct regarding the anxiety issue, and you are probably OK by now.  I just wanted to mention that when I lay down on my back to sleep, as I drift into sleep, my throat does close up and I partially wake up.  My problem is sleep apnea, and I started wearing a mask (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) each night to sleep.  It keeps my throat open, and I sleep much better.  Sorry, if this is unrelated, but I wanted to mention it.
heyy everyone i have a question i think i anxitey but i dont know when i fell scared or nervous i fell like i cant breath and it fells like a i have a lump in my thorat and gets me more scared and gets worse can anyone tell me what this is!!
I hope that people are still reading this thread. I have had the same thing for over 2 years. Every time I start to drift off to sleep, my throat closes - it has to be the most scary sensation ever. I have been to the GP several times and even undergone a sleep study. I have just been referred to the neuroscience department at James Cook University Hospital due to the abnormalities which showed up on my sleep study. Unfortunately my appointment isn't for 2 more months and my symptoms are getting worse. My GP is completely useless regarding this situation. If you are still having problems you need to get a second, third and even a fourth opinion. I am on a quest at the moment to find out how many more people are suffering from these symptoms. I don't believe for a second that there are only a few.  I am also going to create a blog site for people to come and visit with their stories and hopefully what cured them.
I have the same problem, just dozing off to sleep my throat closes and I sit up in a panic and it opens up in a second or two. ( The longest second of my life) I read that Milk of Magnesia can cause this to happen. I have used MOM fo a couple of years. I quit taking it and the problem seemed to be going away. I forgot a couple of days ago and took some more and my problem has returned, Could this be your problem?
Regarding Walmart, Kmart, home depot, etc.
You may want to check out multiple chemcial sensitivities. I can get choked up and scared sometime just by a smell of outgassing of synthetic fabrics or plastics. Maybe just leave the store as fast as possible to change the scenery.

Recently I also starting getting panic attacks again after years of peace. The ball in the throat, swelling tongue, fear of dying, due to some paifull dental work along with fear of drugs and loss of control.
Hi.i have depesssion,anxiety,social axiety,eating anxiety,panic attacks and so on,but even when im eating i go into panic,i feel my throat is closing over,that i cant breathe also,dizzy spell,i get such sore throats,its all to do with my anxiety and racing thoughts,yeah and at night when i lay down i sit up in a panic that my throats closing that i cant breathe,and its all good and well for people to say if we couldnt breathe we would know it,cause are anxietys and racing thoughts tell us different,its changing r thoughts,easier said than done for us,x
My 12 year old is going through this ..at night when we are sleeping.. he starts to make this weird noise..like no oxygen goes in. i get very scared. its been days now. til today. i don't' even want to go to sleep. when this happens he panics then he tries to stay calm but he can't breath for several seconds. maybe like 30-40 seconds.
I want this to stop.. I can't sleep.
Wow. This just happened to me about half an hour ago. As soon as I started to drift to sleep, my eyes shot open, I gasped for air and it felt like I was having a heart attack. My heart was racing, I couldn't breathe and my throat felt like it was closing over. I've since calmed down, only after coming online to Google the symptoms. I thought I'd had panic attacks before, but obviously not, because that was something for the record book. I am a very anxious person, never been medicated at all, I just kind of roll with the proverbial punches. This episode was very frightening, though. It ***** and I feel for all of you and anyone else that's had to go through that.
How long does this sensation last? I have anxiety and I have had the felling that my throat is closing and trouble breathing for about 3 hours now?
oh my gosh this happens to me all the time and it scares me so much ! im glad to see that it's not the only person you is experiences this too. im pretty sure this is from anxiety ,one time i thought i couldn't brethe and i told my mom i had to go to the hospital and when i got there i setteled down a little bit, and they told me i was just having a panic attack ,and it's strange because they just come out of the blue  and you might not even feel that stressed out ,and now i know i do have a anxiety issue but it still scares me when i get that feeling, also to cookie13 that happens to me too ,loud noises and uncomfortable situations trigger the feeling,can someone help me and have any suggestions of what i should do?

This isn't so peaches.   I have had this along with 32 other people & this has told me it isn't something I just have.  4 times in the past 2 years. get a tickle in you throat & a coughing jag comes on & the coughing gets real bad, you can feel your throat closing down to the point you get no air,fear sets in, can't get breath words are distorted Or can't talk & you do think this is it.This is very scary let me say.If you do pass out you will in a few seconds start breathing again for the throat relaxes & breathing begins again but shallow.This is if the fall doesn't kill you when you pass out. I sit down right away & breath in short breaths through nose  & blow out air through pulse lips like blowing out a candle softly. what is this, what brings this on I have tied it a cold coming on & mucus .
wow, i cant believe this, so many others with my same symptoms. ive had this problem for about a year or more. ive gone to dr's and they never mentioned anxiety or really seemed to care for that matter. for a while it was happening to me every night, but i was unhappy at the time. now that things are better it doesnt happen nearly as much. im def an on edge person, so that fact that it would be anxiety isnt surprising. i saw someone put they use vaporub on their nose area, i too have done this! one thing i recently found that pretty much clears it up completely is 'sore throat spray'. try this!
I am going through this same situation ,but I can`t even swallow food sometimes and I lost a great amount of weight because of it, I feel sorry for everybody who has to deal with this....It`s a nightmare ,I am trying to get out of a bad situation and see if it`s helps...god I hope so!!
I have exactly the same problem too, I have the throat closing up sensation, heart beating really fast, dizzyness etc and its so un-comfortable to live with. I have learnt to cope better with it when i know im upset or stressed about a certain situation but my problem is when it comes on out the blue, i start to doubt that its anxiety and that its something more serious, so of course i panic more. I have had trips to A&E before and got put on a ECG as i had chest pains aswel and it came back that its anxiety, this was about 2 years ago now so of course doesnt give me much comfort as it was so long ago. Its such a viscious cycle and is so horrible to live with. I hope we can all find a way 2 get past this and live a more comfortable life. Its good to have blogs like this for people who understand and experience anxiety aswel to talk to and to know your not in it alone x
It's one of the main symptoms of panic/anxiety attacks. I'm pretty sure it's called globus sensation, basically means it feels like there is something stuck in your throat. I've been dealing with it daily for almost 2 months now. Acid reflux can cause it too.
I'm 17 and I've been suffering with panic and anxiety since I was 12 and I also take Klonopin and it really saved my life. I take it in the morning with propranolol which is used to slow my heart rate down. I also take Cymbalta for my anxiety long term and after trying about 7 diffrent kinds this one worked the best. But I know how you fEel with the rapid heart rate, feeling like your throat is closing and ultimately trying to fight off your own death because at that moment you feel like you're going to die. Its such a scary feeling and I still get it every so often but recovering from this is a a psychological journey that you have to be committed to. Getting better doesn't happen over night and it takes a lot of self work and constant evaluation of your bodys responses to certain stressers. Once you are able to somehow pin point what those stressers may be, through cognitive behavioral therapy you will be able to rid your self of this awful plauge. Just remember everything gets better in time and be strong because as many times I've felt like I was going to "die" annd "my throat was closing" I didn't die, my throat is fine and I'm still here writing this to you. Stay strong and hang in there. We're all in this together. Everything will be okay and in the end you will be a stronger individual because of it. Good luck!        
Thank you so much for your comment, im glad you are feeling better and have learnt a way to cope with anxiety. I have had a bit of stress latley which has caused my anxiety to feel worse. Its good to know that im not the only person who has experienced these symptoms and that your ok and as you say ive experienced it many of times too and here i am writing this back to you. The way you described your anxiety symptoms and your thoughts are exactly the same as mine. Its so scary when u feel like that. I have been booked in for an ECG on Thursday at my doctors as i kept going back and requesting one (even though ive had 2 before) i feel very nervous for the results but hopefully it will be fine and i can make a real effort of trying to overcome my anxiety and enjoy christmas. He has never offered me any medication for my anxiety i may mention it if it really helps.
Also..... did they find a cause of ur rapid heartbeat? is it caused by anxiety?? hope you dont mind me asking x
For about 4 years now i have been dealing with similar situations when i first noticed it i was a heavy weed and newport smoker one day i just felt like i lump in my throat an every time i would try an swallow i would literaly get chocked when i drunk drinks like coke sprite it felt like my airway was closing up until i would burp time went on felt like it moved to my chest kinda like a real heavy feeling wheneva i set up Untill i layed down it went away but when i had to work there was no laying down thats when i would get the rapid heartbeats an barly could breathe i went to the er so many times they kept giving me stronger doses or nerv pills the nerv pills made me think i was going crazy!!! now itz to the point to where im thristy all the time or seems like it constantly having a hard time breathin sitting up or laying down i have to battle to catch my breath dont let me get around smoke a grill n e thing itz the worlds worst i hate to say it but if i have to go on feeling like this i'd rather Die!!!!! im tired!!!and just want to be my normal self ( on im far from suacidal thoughts just wanting this to go away    ) times that the hospital my oxygen level would be so low i had to get hooked to the oxygen it settled me i dunno i just want ti be normal again
     I have read most of the posts here and totally know what you mean with the throat closing or just plain, as I coined the phrase "NO AIR IN THE AIR FEELING", and as stated in earlier post, that in and of itself can cause the symptoms to worsen due to anxiety created by NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO!!!
     The causeation of my symptoms were not induced by anxiety, and I do suspect that many of you THINK it is anxiety, I venture to say that might not be correct, Here is why...THINK ABOUT THIS VERY CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU DISMISS THE POSSIBALITY....
      I had had a natural gas leak in my home for 3 1/2 years and in that time I was put on life support for 6 days due to pnemonia (pneumonia) and also threw a pulmonary embolism, then had inhalers and meds for bi-polar manic, then was the cervical cancer with the cryosurgery then the growing lesions on back of hands, tired weak, dizzy, hair falling out, skin started to turn gray, cholesterol went high, teeth loose 1 week and a week later tight again, constant colds and sinus infections, agrivated fibromyalgia symptoms as well as s.v.t., (Supra Ventricular Tachacardia) heart beating fast and through your chest and throat which includes difficulty breathing because it feels as though you throat is closing. I and the drs thought I was nuts.Got rid of the gas leak and after about 4-5 months those symptoms started to diminish somewhat...NOW, That was from "97-2000....SKIP TO 2005....I moved back to York after being in Wisconson, (where by the GRACE OF GOD I lived through a SAH ((sub-arakanoid hemmorage...BRAIN BLEED)) that put me on a helicopter in the middle of the night in a blizzard and was flown 65 miles away to the UVW in madison and the next day provided with thirteen hours of brain surgery in which I had a 2% chance of living and if I did I would be 1/2 paralized and or blind in both eyes...), shortly after moving back to york (within 2 months) those breathing things started again as well as some of the other symptoms that I had had years prior, ....I soon found out that the apartment had MOLD....I moved, more mold, moved and even checked the place very well, it rained BAD, basement flooded, landlord thought it was taken care of and cleaned up...no, MOLD, moved....I figured it out...in 5 years I had to move 9 times...Now the last place I lived, I was there for 3 years and by the time I moved in sept. 2010....I WAS ALMOST DEAD!!!!!!!On Oxygen 24-7, nebulizer machine was rescue machine not a medication delivery system....Could not go from lying down to sitting up without being out of breath and visa-versa, to go the 10 steps to the bathroom was such work, EVEN to TALK ON THE PHONE....out of breath....throat closing, sometimes it was as if I had a necklace or turtle neck on to tight...pain and palpitations of the heart area... THEN one day in mar of 2010, I saw a pulmonologist at Penn State Hershey and he said the lungs were dissolving, I said why, he said...I don't know, while leaving that day I had an attack in which everyone came running...A vocal cord specialist happened to be there and started to talk to me and she talked me right out of the attack, This was the first breath of real air that I had had in about 2 1/2 years.....If she had not shown me that trick, I would have died before I had a chance to move 6 months later......Sept 2010, 7 months ago.
     FOR ALL THOSE READING THIS WITH SIMULAR SYMPTOMS.....WHETHER OR NOT YOU THINK IT IS ANXIETY RELATED, CAUSED OR WHAT...JUST TRY THIS, Then let me and us know the results............
    When you were little, (ALL kids do this)......and they still do.....BBBRRRRRRRR........and as you do that put vocal sounds with it, almost like rolling your rrrrrrrrs, but with your lips....Do that and as you do, imagine...(where your diaphram is, ((at the sternum area, right between the wishbone area of your ribs))...Heart, stomach, liver and diaphram are all right there together with the lungs, but it is not the lungs that do the breathing.....IT IS THE DIAPHRAM that moves), Now as you do this BBBRRRRRRR thing make sure that you push in with you shomach muscles so that it clears out all the air in the lungs....Your breathe out this way should be slow and steady...I know sounds hard but it is NOT, especially after you get good at it!!! Now when you go to breath in....DO IT SLOWLY....Through your nose...Slow and steady....Then do the BBBRRRRRRRRRRRR again....for the full complete L O N G breath out. After doing 2 or 3 of this controlled breathing technic you can break the cycle of no air that might have happened as a result of vocal cord dysfunction or diaphram spasms which can be a result of some type of mold or chemical exposure as well as an allergic reaction or from things such as C.O.P.D.,( chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)...If you just stop maybe 4 or 5 times a day....when you are not out of breath.....DO THIS...it will over several weeks RETRAIN your body as to, HOW TO BREATH...CORRECTLY and that will control all the other symptoms before they get started...or allow you to take control right away when things SUDDENLY get out of control....
   I sure do hope and PRAY that after all this hunt and peck typing.....Someone is helped..
         "HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!" Have a wonderful BLESSED day!!  GOD BLESS!!
                                                   loimmarmar
Your problem might be that you are sleeping on your back.  When I sleep on my back I wake up choking.  I then tried sleeping on my stomach and I never have the problem.

I also have struggled with anxiety.  It seemed to have gone away for the past two years but recently I have been experiencing the throat tightness (feeling like I cannot breath) that people have been describing.  The worst is that it happens when I am working and other random times.

Good luck to everyone
whenever I lay down to go to bed, my throat feels like its going to close. Im 13 and i dont think i should be stessed:p  Whenever i try to breath it scares me  and im on the verge of tears. What should i do?
Well I have the same problem for last 3 Years I am only getting about 2 hours of sleep every night due to this it's only when I lay down to go to sleep after I get up and out of bed I feel better then an hour goes buy and I try to lay down and I know it's gonna happen and it does then back up again for another hour or so then suddenly I think I just passout and wake on about 2 hours and start me day this ***** don't know what it is
man i too thought i was th only one goin thru this because i feeel the sam sensation of my throat closing up and not getting any air too.  this startd for me whn i was in 6th grade and it went away for many years but not until now it cam back now that im a freshman in college. I DID NOT WANT TO BE ON DRUGS AND MEDS THOUGH SO I FOUND ANOTHER SOLUTION: have calcium and magnesium, drink warm tea, vitamin B complex, "white oak" is all natural too and it helps alot, or try this "bach rescue remedy" you get at whole foods, it helps me out alot and there arre no negativ side effefcts =)
I have all those symptoms its gotten to the point I feel like death is the only escape please tell me how to handle all this with out going crazy. . .
That happens to me too. I feel out of breath for no reason sometimes, like my throat is closing up. Its an awful feeling. My doctor said its psychological and is part of the anxiety. My dad taught me a couple of breathing exercises that help, the easiest one is to sit with your back straight and take a deep breath through your nose and make sure you breath through your stomach and then breath out through your mouth... keep doing that for 10 mins. Its actually helped me sometimes.
mikerod806: I understand your feeling, in some horrible moments of anxiety I almost wish the chest pains I get were a heart attack so I could get it over with or something. Sounds horrible but its the truth. Now that I'm somewhat better I'm really glad I never had one though. Its kinda like a madness... totally feel your pain!
Wise men turn to meditation and yoga to relax the body and mind. It is possible for everyone to learn some basic techniques that can make all the difference in coping with life's stressful moments. So much better than taking prescription drugs and adding worry about side effects!
Yes anxiety will wreck your body in so many ways. I also have tightness in the throat that it is the result of stress and anxiety. There are different techniques you can use to take your mind off anxiety. There is this website that sends you bunch of helpful emails but of course still wants you to buy their material, it is the clamclinic.com. A real good technique when having a panic attack is not to fight it but let it run its course becasue it will soon pass. Another is counting down from a hundred in 3's. Knowing the systems of anxiety and how to deal with is very curcial. Being aware of the effects anxiety will not just help with the tightness of the throat but as mentioned in the other comments you will not focus on the various sensations it will alleviate the tightness and other physical symptoms.
I have Anxiety Disorder. I have been on Zoloft and Xanax .25 which I avoid. But since last two weeks I have stopped taking Zoloft because I do not have insurance and I have no more refills. I feel the symptoms kicking in again. When I lay down a certain wait my heart starts to pound. No I do not panic as much as I did when it first happened to me. I try to control my breathing by taking a deep breath in from nose and slowly exhaling thru mouth. I do this 5 times. I am really scared now since I no longer have the meds.
Few! I'm not alone! Mine starts in the pit of my stomach right above the naval & goes strait up my throat. If I do not make myself relax it gets tighter & tighter so i've learned to train my mind to breath slow& stay relaxed. Then it finally goes away after about half hour. It's been.happening to me off & on for 12 years now! I guess i'll make a visit to the dr! Does anyone know much about diazapam?
I agree with those who are cautious about the 'anxiety' explanation, it's not always the case. I have a similar thing where I wake up suddenly with heart racing and a feeling like I wasn't taking air in properly. I have had a lot of stress in my life so it is easy to pin it on that but a recent experience has proved it is structure neck muscles.

I have had acute sinusitis and my nose has been completely blocked. I have been unable to breathe through my mouth and have been awake at night because my throat closes as I relax and I can't breathe OUT, not in. My body is relaxed, i am desperate for sleep and I make this strange noise after a while when I am dropping off  which is me trying to breathe out. I have become so conscious of it that I can feel it happening very clearly.

Don't know what I will do next though.
Laryngospasm
Laryngospasm is mostly everbody problem on this thread.
This happens to me too. Started over a year ago. Feels like my airway is closing and makes it hard to swallow food and breath. An anxiety attack soon follows and I think I am going to die! The only way I can describe it is pure misery! No wait, pure HELL! is a better description LOL! :) It's comforting to know that this problem is common, more than I had originally thought. Misery loves company LOL!

I  first developed Anxiety and panic attacks when I turned thirty. Strange that I developed allergies to foods, trees, dogs cats etc.. during this period also.  On a daily basis I had moments where I felt I couldn't breath and thought I was going to Die. This lasted about two years. I think back then and I remember a stressful job and I was in a bad relationship. I walked away from my job and bad relationship and the anxiety slowly went away. My allergies hadn't though.

Ok so fast foward to the present(I am 45 now). About a year ago I had a strong reaction and some throat swelling. I had trouble breathing,swallowing and this was triggering panic attacks. I thought I was going to asphyxiate. I went to the doctor and had a cortizone shot. It helped reduce some throat swelling and we determined that it was allergy related. The problem improved but isn't completely gone though. I still have sensations of a closing airway which make breathing and eating difficult sometimes. This almost always trigger a panic attack. My allergist thinks that the allergies are causing the lump in my throat sensation.

It's crazy but the slightest feeling of a closing airway can trigger the most severe panic attack!

The good news is I feel like I am slowly getting better. Nowadays when I feel a lump in my throat thats hard to clear I think of my allergists advice: Relax your airway isn't closing it's just a sensation in your throat. This helps alot! Also I find that exercize helps! I jog everyday now and do as many push ups and situps as I can. Also I changed my diet. No more alcohol or junk food. Lots of fresh fruits, veggies and no more skipping meals!

Some closing comments.......Hang in there! I know you think your going to asphyxiate but you wont. I've had feelings that I couldn't breath for many years, but I am still alive. When I think I am going to die,  I never do LOL!  Fact: I never have an anxiety attack unless I am thinking about it! When I am focused on a project I never have a problem. Try lying on your stomach instead of your back when you go to sleep(helps me). Try to relax. Remember that you will be ok! your still here arent you?
The same thing happens to me! For the longest time I thought they were heart attack symptoms, or that something was wrong with me. It happened a few months ago but stopped, & now it started back up again today, most likely because I was stressed today. Nice to know I'm not alone! It is scary, but stay strong everyone! Xoxo
I been having the same feeling with the closing throat feeling mines started when I was pregnant with my 5th baby when I first felt it. It comes and goes out of no where and Im not even pregnant anymore and I'm still having the same problem it's almost like I can't breath. I think it's like that because of my weight but I could be wrong so im going to the doctor to get some answers you should do the same if not yet.
I've also had the same feeling, the night i had one of my worst attack's. I was sitting out the front getting some fresh air, my whole body started to tingle (pins & needles) i looked at my boyfriend and said i cant breathe properly i feel like my throat is closing up, please help me! I was so stressed and scared i just cried begging for help. We went to the hospital, sat down to wait and that was it i was getting very distressed because no one was coming to help me, my throat and nose were even tingling i was petrified. Finally the nurse came and got me took my blood pressure and it was a bit high but nothing concerning she instructed me to take deep breaths which at the time i found quiet difficult, within 45 minutes i had started to calm down. I still get the feeling of my throat closing up but now i can remind myself it is just the anxiety and eventually forget about it.

(HOME PAGE)
CAN'T BREATHE? SUSPECT VOCAL CORD DYSFUNCTION!

by Carol Sidofsky

Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD) is a hidden, yet common, usually unsuspected condition of throat closure &/or choking sensation that can strike any age, can cause sudden, severe episodes (attacks) ofbreathing difficulty, sometimes with wheezing (whistling or sighing sounds) &/or stridor (harsh, high pitched, ‘windy’ gasping sounds). In the Emergency Room (ER), VCD is usually misdiagnosed as being difficult (refractory, or brittle) asthma, anaphylaxis (severe, life threatening allergic reaction), or hysteria (all in one’s head).
VCD can feel like straining to breathe through a straw. Some cannot get any air in (or out) at all. Panic and fear of dying from feeling that one isn’t getting in enough air, often causes repeated ER visits or hospitalizations. 

The "throat" closure actually occurs inside the voice box (larynx), (behind the "Adam's apple") when the vocal cords go into a "closing-up" spasm.  (See drawing on web-page 1).

VCD attacks can happen at any time, including at night, while sleeping, or, at rest, when exercising, during or after meals, etc.

A VCD patient can have one, several, or even many causes of VCD.

Many doctors, nurses and ER personnel have not yet heard about VCD, even though VCD is common. Although there are many journal articles in the medical literature about VCD, few medical text books even mention VCD, even though VCD has probably existed since time immemorial --like from volcanoes, dust storms, forest fires, "silent" gastric reflux (without heartburn), other medical conditions, etc. 

VCD was seen to exist, back in the 1800's (mistakenly caused hysteria), was written about in medical literature in the 1970's, and later, VCD was studied extensively by Nat'l Jewish Medical & Research Center in Denver, CO in the 1980's to the present/2012. Much confusion existed and still does, from the many different names given to VCD, and from the multi-factorial (many possible causes) nature of VCD. 

Misdiagnosis of VCD as asthma--when the person doesn't have asthma at all--or, has only mild to moderate asthma-- has resulted in many VCD patients unnecessarily taking steroids &/or bronchodilators for years, and even decades, before finally getting correctly diagnosed with VCD.

Also, VCD attacks can happen alone, or along with, some life-threatening conditions. Some of these life-threatening conditions may have symptoms that "mimic" (seem similar to) VCD. Some examples are: severe asthma, severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), collapsed lung(s), pulmonary embolism, actual choking, something obstructing or narrowing parts of the airway, spasms of the diaphragm muscle, etc. 

And, (after the patient is saved by Emergency Room doctors), some of these life-threatening conditions, may even cause VCD attacks. One example of this, is pediatric gastric reflux. 

VCD attacks, themselves, can sometimes be life threatening (see webpage 2). And, please see NOTE!!! below:

NOTE!!!: To learn HOW TO STOP VCD ATTACKS, please click onwebPAGE 4. See "VCD attack SURVIVAL GUIDE" on webPAGE 4.To learn HOW TO PREVENT FUTURE VCD ATTACKS, please click onwebPAGE 5 (and web-page 3).
You are now on the HOME PAGE of this website. You can easily get toany of the other 11 web-pages, by "clicking" the mouse pointer/arrow on top of any web-page description you see in theOUTLINE. Or, you can click on top of a web-page number (& the'links' web-page) at the very end/bottom of this home-page.(On most web-pages, you can also click on the silver "back" and "next" buttons.) To see what web-page you are on, look at upper right corner, or bottom, of the web-page. When printed out, each webpage is several pages long. This website has a total of 12 web pages. 

I made this website in the spring of 2001, and I continue to update it (2012). 

OUTLINE of webpages:

1. What exactly is Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD)? How is VCD different from laryngospasm?

2. List of some SIGNS (physical, objective--seen, etc. by others) andSYMPTOMS (subjective--experienced by patient) that occur during VCD attacks (and between attacks):

3. How to recognize and accurately diagnose VCD:

4. How can VCD patients and medical people quickly control and treat VCD (stop each attack), during and between attacks? (includes"VCD attack SURVIVAL GUIDE"). Also listed are some life-threatening VCD "mimics" (that have symptoms similar to VCD).

5. What are some causes of VCD, triggers of VCD, aggravators of VCD (that make VCD worse), and associated conditions that may pre-dispose people to develop VCD? (All are mixed together on this webpage 5, since it's sometimes hard to tell them apart).

6. Can VCD be prevented or cured?

7. What medical centers, etc., know a lot about VCD? This includes National Jewish Medical & Research Center, in Denver, Colorado.

8. What VCD Conferences are available in 2012, for medical professionals and allied health professionals? I update this webpage 8, as I learn about upcoming medical conferences.

9. References: medical journal articles, books, internet web links, personal communication with physicians & speech pathologists & VCD patients, and others. Also please click on the "links webpage" below, for more references.

10. VCD support for patients, family, friends, medical people & others. ALSO, tips (ideas & suggestions) that may help cure VCD (ask doctor first):
APPENDIX A: Some SINUS TIPS;
APPENDIX B: Some GASTRIC REFLUX TIPS for adults & children;
APPENDIX C: Some PEDIATRIC REFLUX TIPS for infants with colic, reflux, etc.
APPENDIX D: Some ERGONOMICS TIPS (body position when using computer, driving, etc.)
APPENDIX E: (added in 2007): Some GLUTEN-FREE (g-f) EATING TIPS (plus how to temporarily avoid milk proteins, corn proteins, soyproteins, etc.) 
APPENDIX F: (added in 2007): Some TOTAL DIARY TIPS (keep daily journal for at least a week. Includes doing "scavenger hunt" using webpage 5, to help add to "total diary")

LINKS webpage:  References: internet web links. (Also see webpage 9.)
DISCLAIMER: The information in this website is not intended to diagnose you. Call (911 or 0, etc.) for an ambulance, or go to an Emergency Room, IMMEDIATELY, for any breathing problems! Then, please see web-page 4, for "VCD Attack SURVIVAL GUIDE". 

My son is suffering greatly when he lies down to go to sleep his throat closes, this has been going on for several years, we've been to more docters than we can count , sleep studies, throat scopes, etc my son is in a desperate situation, the Dr.s have different opinions, everything from vocal chord dysfunction, tone of the tissues flapping above the voice box, acid reflux, sleep apnea, tongue enlarged, anxiety, soft palate reduction, uvula trimming,no two Dr.s concur, my son is ready tro try anything including surgery to his soft palate, and by profession he is a singer, if anyone knows of a specialist that they can recommend, or has any success with this problem please, e-mail me at ***@****    Thank-You & God Bless You

Ive been having the feeling that my throat is closing up and I feel like im short of breath at the same time. I also feeling like my lung numbs up. Been having 24/7 migraines, dizziness, muscle spasms, and neck strain. What scares me the worse is that I feel like air circulation and blood flow is beefing cut of from my head. So depressing.
Im relieved to see all of this feedback on this same "irrational" thought/symptom.  Ive been on paxil for going on around 10 years.  Had attacks before but not as severe as they are now.  Just recently i started with the fear of the throat closing and then comes the attack. Went to the ER Friday of last week for it and now im almost anticipating an attack all the time.  Anytime i have any scratchiness or the feeling of not being able to breathe, i almost immediately panic.  I know you have to tell yourself that its not actually closing and everything is fine, but in the midst of an attack or racing thoughts, feels damn near impossible.  Almost feels like my tongue is somewhat swelling and making it real hard to breathe, but when im not focusing on this, it has never happen.  Never in my life has my throat closed from anything and i know its not going to happen.  I have no allergies except for the very, very occasional seasonal attack.  Does anyone have any idea on ways to cope with this? Just the rational talk helps tremendously.
Wow. I definitely know these feelings. As I type this I feel like my area where my throat meets my chest is causing it for me to be difficult to breathe.

I wonder though, can anxiety and panic cause things physically? Like do we retrain our brains somehow and then it produces incorrect responses?

I hadn't had a panic attack ever. Then I went to visit a doctor for a lidocaine injection for pain and it made me feel terrible despite my vitals all being ok. I shrugged it off eventually after a few days. I then had to move away from home about a month later. While driving through a dusty area (which i have driven through before...) i felt like I couldn't breathe. Sure enough I stopped at a gas station to recoupe myself and got driving again. Eventually felt ok.

Fast forward a few weeks later and I'm in my new apartment and driving home on the freeway in a new area. I feel like all of a sudden I can't breathe. I freak out, pins and needles, lighthead, worry etc. Tell my gf to call 911 and they tell me it was panic basically and all my vitals are fine.

Now I'm researching a million different things. I feel like it caused my allergies and asthma to come raging back when I haven't had a problem with them in years. Does your body send signals after being shocked by a panic attack that it didn't send before? I know I'm stressed but I've been stressed before and this never happened.

I'm visiting doctors now but I feel so hopeless. I'm attempting to read some books about helping anxiety and such but I feel it's a vicious cycle now (I've read linden method, claire weekes, eckart tolle etc) I honestly feel like somehow this caused me to have some type of negative feedback loop and now it's actually a physical problem :(

It doesn't help that I don't trust doctors and feel most of them aren't up to date on research.
Is there a way I can contact you directly? I have had several bouts of throat closure over the years. Many happen at night and truly I struggle greatly to get air. It is like some has me by the throat in a strangle hold. I of course get very scared...try desparately to get snipets of air in and get the bresthing process back to normal. I have been diagnosed with asthma, copd and a very mild case of sleep apeana. Not a smoker....your article really hit home.  may i have an email contact or phone? I had another attach tonight...husband is gone and this one really scared me. I am afriad to go back to sleep. My name is Wendy Headley, I  live in Ohio. Cell number 419.601.0603  home 419.352.6085 what is this website you reference? I am not super comptuer saavy.  i want to know more of your thoughts and theories. Thank you for any help, CArol.
I have no idea other people go through this.

I use to feel suddenly like I couldn't breathe. Off and on I was anxious and worried. It gets worse especially when I keep focussing on it on how to breathe better and feel less anxious. Overtime, I realised that if I don't focus on it, it will go away. It's exactly what you guys went through!

Then there were times when I feel fine and I get fearful of myself not being able to breathe and I seem to not be able to breathe. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy. These fears...your mind....
Im a christian and I know fears originate from satan.
Fear to me is a very crippling thing. The unseen, abstract things are one of the most dangerous but underestimated things in life (well that's what I think). Fear is to be afraid of something that you don't want to happen because you think that thing may potentially happen. If it is not going to happen, you won't fear right?. So, if you fear of something it is going to happen.

Ultimately, in the past for me I think as much as I don't want to be aware or admit that I am anxious and breathless, and ignore or suppress it, I realise that it is important to acknowledge it, that it is okay to be anxious and it's not the end of the world that you feel breathless. Afterwards, it's important to manage it which involves your thoughts playing a big role. I've heard from the book called Battlefield of the mind by Joyce Meyers (a christian author) which I will be reading soon and generally in the media that your thoughts affect how you think you feel, you behave.

So, to manage breathlessness, perhaps you could tell yourself reassuring, positive thoughts (because in the end it's just the mind isn't it?). It's what you choose and believe to think.

If you're a christian, definitely pray to God because you may or may not be fighting a spiritual battle. You need God's help. After a while, it'll be tiring to fight your own mind battles alone. So depend on God to get added power lol. I use to not want to tell God this problem I have but believe that I can solve everything on my mind. After a while, I couldn't take it anymore so I started praying. I dunno how God helps but God is God.

Another thing I would mention personally is to do your favourite exercise if you have. If not, you can try exercising. Well, it personally calms me down, provides happy feelings, tones your body, feel better, provides your more energy, and helps you focus on the moves you need to do. (:

Now I don't have as much breathlessness or paranoia anymore, but when I get fearful, I just tell myself to relax and choose to not think about breathlessness anymore and let myself be because I am simply too tired with that mindset and life.

Ok this is long hahaa.

Hope this helps. (:
Oh wait, after rereading your question. It may VCR! I dunno!

I am searching for answers to some strrange things that have been happening to me lately.  I just happened to stumble onto this site and well, we will see.  I also have been experiencing my throat closing lately.  Most of the time its at random times, but it seems like i can almost bring it on if i look down for too long, or look up - because of the position of my neck and throat.  But to me i am feeling a creepy feeling when this happens.  It feels almost like i swallowed some food and it wont go down my throat.  It just sits there like a lump.  I also feel (as wierd as this sounds) like there is something alive in my throat.  Like it could be moving around.  When this happens, I often see a very strong heatbeat in my skin at the base of my neck.  It doesnt look normal.  I also often see a gray or blueish kind of shadow in my neck at different places.  I don't like it.  Just wondering if others . . . ?    The ACTUAL reason i started writing this was to find out if anyone else is having any eye problems also (in conjunction with the throat).  I know this probably sounds crazy, but like i said.  I HAVE to reach out and ask some questions cause it will push me over the edge if i do nothing.
I have always experienced this. my throat feels like its either closing or something is stuck and sometimes i have to cough. I have had it at random times through the years. usually it last for a  few days then stops and at random times during the years. I probably still have asthma but i never use a inhaler. I did when i was in school sometimes. Once in school it got pretty bad and i could not stop coughing went on for the whole class, even after using my inhaler it still continued. But it seems like i have kinda grown out of that never have issuses with breathing or dust or anything. Except for this whole throat thing..
I have suffered from anxiety since I was about 12 years old. I remember as a child constantly having a feeling of needing to clear my throat when I laid down to sleep at night. That went away until a few years ago and now every other day almost I feel like I am having a heart attack. There feels like there is a lump in my throat and I can't swallow..... I wake up out of my sleep gasping for air. I have been to the Emergency room countless times... They have done everything just about as far as tests go.... I have seen a cardiologist, had a brain scan, and had all my levels tested... They all say anxiety.. I, too, am a Christian and have to agree with this being some sort of spiritual battle, possibly a battle in the acceptance of the fact that we all die... Once we accept that death is inevitable, the fear will then go away... I believe it is all about how we are taking care of ourselves... We need to eat right, exercise, stay at ease in our minds, and keep peace in our lives and I believe these sensations will cease or atleast decrease... What do we all have in common?? Are we all overweight... Do we all drink or smoke??  How old are we all and what are all of our spiritual beliefs and views towards death?? Maybe, if we answer these questions, then we can narrow down the cause... IF WE CAN FIGURE OUT THE REASON AND STOP OR FIX THE CAUSE then maybe, just maybe we can GET OUR LIVES BACK.... any suggestions??
hi guys im from manila philippines, all i read here is happening to me i start i cough and phlegm will go and start to close my windpipe i'm scared for to 2 week, my attack start at 2am - 5am everyday i consult a doctor, and purchase a high anti biotic and don't get good result but i research i found Luyang dilaw here also called Turmeric, i buy fresh for p20, 5 small pack, then  i crash a finger size turmeric and boiled 2 cups water, i drink this 3x a day for 1 week i see result for 4 day but don't use any medicine, now i everyday drink turmeric tea 2x a day nice result for me, and i hope my experience help out everyone who suffer like me.
I have anxiety attacks while Im sleeping, I guess I stop breathing and start digging at my neck with my nails and end up covered in blood. I hate this.!!! Its not sleep apnea.

This is not anxiety actually. This is one type of sleep apnea. Which can be due to so many linked in reason. for instance.

1- Respiratory blockage  may be

2- Check your tonsils it may be due to that

check this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumHOsjBdwQ
I was having a similar problem. The frequency of my not being able to breathe was increasing during the day and night. I was only getting a few hours sleep each night because I had to keep jumping up in a panic. During the day I was trying to manage the problem but as afternoon wore on I was struggling to swallow and breathe. In desperation I googled for a few hours and hit upon some things that have really helped.
1. I gave my vocal cords a rest- no humming or singing and less talking
2. I boiled caraway seeds and drank the tea from it
3. I swallowed raw honey and let it slowly slide down my throat
I immediately felt relief and was able to sleep for about 8 hours that night.
I think they relax the throat and the honey and caraway seeds are meant to help with bacterial infections. Apparently, the throat keeps tensing up (which is the brain getting in the way) so you have to really focus on trying to rest and relax your throat. Hope this is helpful :)
This is my first time and I'm scared, I can't breath and it feel as if my throat
is closing up, it's a tight feeling like I'm about to chock. Please help me..
***@****
Hello.. I have the most unusual throat issue and I don't know where it all started.  What happens to me is I will feel a slight throat spasm and then it will totally close off.  No air at all.  This will last only a few seconds and then my throat muscles will relax.  It usually happens when I am just getting into a sleep state but it also happens during the day.  My worst problem with it is that I cannot just put a piece of food in my mouth or guzzle down something to drink without making sure my throat is not spasming (spelling) first.  If it is, it will totally close off.  I just want to be able to eat and drink like normal people.  so I can relate when you say "will I ever be normal again?". I do attribute it all to anxiety but there has got to be an answer. I am now going through a burning sensation throughout my body which I am not sure what that is either. Is anyone going through this as well?
I have a similar condition. I have COPD, Pollen Allergies and Acid Reflux.  If I sleep on my back occasionally my airway feels like it closes off.  No inhale or exhale is possible at all.  In my case, my doctor has said it is a combination of things. If even 1 drop of stomach acid enters the lung it can trigger this event, thus from the acid reflux. It feels like my entire sinuses dump into my airway, thus from sinus congestion from pollen allergies.  My years of smoking has limited my breathing process awake or sleeping, thus the COPD. Over the counter medications will help with the allergies and reflux, also don't eat too close to bedtime and limit late night alcohol. Try the OTC medicines and see what works for you. COPD, get an inhaler. Talk to your doctor about that. If you don't want others to suffer this, use any means necessary to get them to stop smoking, drinking to excess and late night snacks. Emphasizing these things is paramount when talking to young people. Chasing them a club works too. Good luck.
ShawnBick joined this community
Welcome them!
11 mins ago
allinblack commented on Tramadol & Ultram...
1 hr ago
kcwolf is taking it one day at a time Comment