What antidepressant works best for anxiety?
I have been on lexapro for almost 4 months. I have had anxiety and now depression for over 2 years. What a crazy disorder to have. It's so disabling. I still deal with anxiety and depression daily and I am on 15 mg of lexapro. It is better but I still am dealing with it. Can anyone tell me what antidepressant works best? Is wellbutrin better for anxiety? If anyone has had bad anxiety where you get the chest heaviness and shortness of breath and let me know if your taking antidepressant and if it takes the anxiety away. I have considered buspar because thats just for anxiety but I don't know anymore. I have been on so many differant things over the past 2 years from  5htp to antidepressants and xanax. I just want this **** to go away. I try to will it away but it doesn't work. Right now I just take 15 mg of lexapro. I am 44 years old. Crazy stuff to go through..
I'm on Lexapro too...it's been about 6 months. I wouldn't say its life changing but it does help. Unfortunately I get heart palpitations which no medication can help with anxiety wise. I just have to deal with them. On the days where I get that chest heaviness your describing I usually take some sort of benzo like valium, ativan, or xanax. I try and take this only once or twice a week and I keep the dose low so I don't become addicted or experience withdrawals. It's weird with anxiety, Some days are bad and others good. Also, I can wake up feeling great and then for no reason I can get that heavy chest sensation or palpitations and then the anxiety begins.
I'll tell  you what...I had anxiety for 10+ years. I have tried all kinds of meds and I felt like i was at my wits end. Most meds made me feel worse, aka more depressed, suicidal, so dizzy I couldn't walk.. it was awful.  

Finally I got a new doc. He gave me some lorazepam. He advised that it can be addictive and its not for daily use or even long term use...but it is amazing. It actualy shuts down the anxiety and has no side effect for me. My presciption is .5mg. The 1 mg make me pretty tired and a little dizzy, but thats a small price to pay for just being able to shut off the anxiety like flipping a switch.  

I found that it gave me enough of a break to recover and start being able to cope on my own again with out meds. I still keep a bottle around just in case. I may take 1 pill once or twice per month at this point and only when things are getting too intense.

But, thats what I would suggest.

The next part of conquering anxiety (after you get it in control) is figure out what is causing it. You may need to make some BIG life changes. For example I quit my job that was stressing me out and left the girl I was dating.

Good luck to you! You will get better.

I began taking Paxil for the past 2 months and my changes have been better than the other medication I have taken.  Prozac, zoloft and immipramine did ok.
I'm on Lexapro too -- about 10 weeks now.  I started at 10mg, then went to 15mg, now I'm at 20mg and it seems to be working pretty well.  The anxiety-provoking thoughts still occur, but they're less frequent and they can't get any "traction" so I don't get into an obsessive worry spiral.

The reason I was given Lexapro to begin with is because it's supposedly one of the best SSRIs for anxiety.  So along with the good suggestions above, maybe you could try a higher dose of the Lexapro.

Best of luck!  I find this forum to be very helpful -- so nice to know I'm not the only out there dealing with this!