Bipolar Disorder Community
Extreme Xanax addiction!

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Extreme Xanax addiction!

My highs are so high the prescribed 2mg turns into me buying them on the street. I am in a word of hurt since you can die from stopping abruptly. I try to ween myself off but its out of my hands now. HELP! I am 10 years clean from heroin and everything , alcohol too. But a simple prescription to 2mg of xanax turned into me self medicationing up to 10mg a day. I will die in detox I know it!

Anyone in similar sitution. Anyone that can offer help?

You need to seek professional help to get you through this.  Are you on any other meds for your BP?  

First off I would make an appt to see your doctor and be honest with him.  He will be able to advise you on the safest way to wean off the xanax.  You also need support from someone who is experienced in addiction (sorry if I'm stating the obvious).  Also you need a psychiatrist so that you can be put on the correct BP meds which will help stop you self-medicating.

It might be worth checking out the addiction forum as well for more specific advice regarding addiction.

Good luck
You need to go to rehab then talk to a psy doc about getting you on more appropriate meds for your highs. Good Luck
Xanax is generally used for short term anxiety. However, unfortunately this seems like a form of self medication. You should ask your psychiatrist what your diagnosis is. Xanax is not a mood stabilizer. That could be part of the problem. We have information on websites linked up on what are standard medications as regards mood stabilization but no medication should ever be obtained outside of a doctor's or psychiatrist's care and taken in that manner. However, since Xanax is physically addictive you can't just discontinue it for your safety so I agree with people's posts that rehabilation is best. I would ultimately suggest a dual recovery group for a person with a psychiatric disability and a substance abuse issue in addition to speaking to your psychiatrist.
You've beaten Heroine, you can beat this, but you need to go to detox - there are plenty of non-addictive drugs out there that can help. I'm not sure why you were given that med with you being an H Addict to start with. I don't get it. Go to detox!