Bipolar Disorder Community
Mania with psychosis

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Mania with psychosis

I was hiospitalized for mania with a variety of visual hallucinations and sudden blindness and physical symtoms (symptoms) such as numbness tingling inability to speak and those that appeared similar to seizures that they were unable to diagnose weather they were seizure or mania related. After I was released I had {a dellusion} that the only reason my new roomate was letting me live there is because he had taken out an insurance policy and was going to kill me for the money. None of this was true of course and after a few months of snooping through his mail etc to be sure... the belief subsided. This has been some time ago. End of Dec o6 hospitalized. January through feb or March of o7 insurance dellusion. Nothing that spectacular has haened since. I do hear regular fuzzy mumbling in my head and once since then I heard the tv talk to me.
Ive tried to look up if all of these, dellusions, hallucination, the physical symptoms could all be the psychotic features of the bipolar but I havent been able to find much information.

Could this all be due to the bipolar and specifically what are the physical symptoms that can manifest from bipolar psychosis. I dont know weather I need to be seeing a medicalnerologic doc or not. What seperates bipolar psychosis from schizoaffective and schizohrenia diagnosis.

When my mania is really out of control, I get some pretty crazy delusions. Just crazy stuff.  When I'm kind of in between, going into or coming out of a serious mania, I will hear what sounds like a radio on in another room. I can't make out any words, but I can hear the voice. I would walk around trying to find where the radio was. And as soon as I went to  go downstairs to look it would disappear. I have also 'overheard' bizarre conversations taking place in the room next to me. I'd hold my ear to the wall to hear better, but the thing was, there was no one talking in there, but I was CERTAIN there was. I now know by the content that it was a psychotic symptom. I would also 'overhear' conversations where my mother was talking about me and I'd go down to catch her at it and there would be no one there, or she'd be there alone. It was confusing at first. I was put on Seroquel and it has done wonders for the mysterious radio and muffled conversations. It also helped me not make connections where there were none, not have false memories, and it helps keep my thoughts organized. Without it, my thoughts start to feel like undone jigsaw puzzle. Also, when I get manic with euphoria I get a sensation like I'm not in my body, like perpetual de ja vu.

When I am severely depressed my brain goes blank and I can barely move. But unfortunately, I don't know about your seizure like problem. I wouldn't be surprised. Most psychiatrists I've been to nowadays are actually neuropsychiatrists. They are neurologists that specialize in psychiatric illnesses, so I would hope they would know what that was all about. If you aren't getting the answers you need, get a second opinion or ask for a neuro consult.
Im not sure so I will ask.

Have you seen a pdoc?

I don't see anything to indicate you may have, certainly blindness is a serious symptom although optical neuritis could cause that but. I mean my mum was MS and had bouts of it.  It really sounds like there is something physical here that you need to get checked - have they done an MRI ?

Yes the physicals could be psychotic symptoms but the blindness is a very rare one from what I know
I'm developing similar symptoms. Does your head ever tingle ? I cant take anymore panic attacks it feels like im going to die
This thread is five years old, so it's not all that likely that the OP will respond to you.  However, head tingling can actually be a physical reaction to hyperventilation.  Hyperventilating during a panic attack can make you feel dizzy, make your teeth buzz, and make various body parts tingle for purely physiological reasons that have to do with unloading too much carbon dioxide and suddenly changing your blood pH.  It's not dangerous, just highly uncomfortable, and it's not psychosomatic (if you make yourself hyperventilate the way you do with a panic attack, you will start to feel the tingling and such).

If you are having problems speaking, or are hallucinating, then you should see a neurologist (especially with the speech problems).  For panic attacks, you should consider a control medication to stop them from happening in the first place.  If you are bipolar, you should generally avoid the SSRIs, although if you have a mood stabilizer on board and no history of bad reactions to SSRIs it would be worth a shot.  Buspar is also an option that's unlikely to cause issues in bipolar, and can help take the edge off anxiety when taken every day.  If you get regular panic attacks, you might need a "rescue" med in the form of a benzo to take as needed when you have an attack.  Definitely talk to a psychiatrist and a therapist about the panic attacks, as a combo of therapy and meds can work wonders.