Bipolar Disorder Community
Manic...does it come on suddenly for you?

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

My manic comes on very suddenly w/o warning with elation, does anyone else experience?  Do you have warning signs you are going into a manic episode.
When I'm manicky....I feel great. I feel more outgoing and all those good things associated with mania but what goes up must come down. I'll get all psychotic when my moods are in a mixed episode. Sometimes I have to step back and lay off the mania stuff before it turns sour.

I can tell when I'm going into mania and I'm responsible to put the brakes on it. It's a learning experience. Sometimes I catch myself and sometimes I don't. It's hard for family members to recognize mania too and they usually wait until I'm in full blown mania and follwed by the mixed moods.

Even though I'm on meds...I have to watch myself.
Well for myself I get urges to do things that might have consequences or feel unpleasently speeded up. I always remind myself before I take any actions that might have consequences even if they could be beneficial to think them over first and ask other people what their opinions are. I know my psychiatrist is certainly reliable in that area and as he functions as my talk therapist as well he can see what is going on emotionally and mentally and match them up.
Sometimes when I'm going more manic I can tell the day before, but sometimes not. Those days I'll wake up manicky and if I'm manic enough, it's a bad thing and I'm too fast, heart pounding and I can't sit still. If it continues, i get flirty :( and delusional. It's a good thing my meds work so I don't get that bad anymore.
i have rather mood swings and this occurs very often because I am not on a proper mood stabilizer. But when i consume more antidepressant then suddenly i slip into the manic side (more eating, less sleep), then i use the breaks (seroquel) to return back either to norrmal or a bit lower.
Because I have rapid cycling, it comes really fast without warning. I can wake up feeling okay, but then suddenly I'm shaking and I can't think and I feel like my insides are trying to crawl out of my skin. It just feels like my brain is put on fast forward and my body is shaking trying to catch up. I hate it. Sadly, I don't get euphoria. I do get that grandiosity. (Oh, I'm a genious, I'm going to be famous, just wait until I do this, blah blah blah.) But I get into repetative thinking on high speed. That's usually my first sign. That and I can't focus on one task and I try to do 50 things at once.
Yeah, Xila31, sounds exactly like my experience, it comes without warning but I am aware of the feeling when it comes. My head races and I get the high speed repetitive thinking too. I often have accidents because I am careless, through rushing around. I feel as if i'm going to explode with energy! Actually I'm feeling a little bit speedy right now. I've had to take steroid tablets for asthma and since then I've had very little sleep, time to taper them off me thinks.
Wow, you could have been talking about me...I go thru the exact thing but I have elation and grandiosity.  Were you dx with Bipolar I?  I also get the repetitive thinking as starbunny mentioned.  Starbunny, I can relate to the expolsion of enery..too bad their has to be a downside!
They think right now it is only BP2 since it doesn't seem I get full blown mania. My dx is pretty new right now, still less than a year, despite the fact I'm sure I've had it since I was at least 12 if not before that.

I have been feeling very speeded up the last few days. I'm starting to worry. I've also started shaking more often, but I hear that can be a side effect from lithium. But, I think I have a lot of mixed states which is bad. I feel speeded up but I don't feel like I have any energy. I get really frustrated and irritated.
My mainia has always come on suddenly it starts with me feeling up and normally when I do I treat it with the meds as quickly as possible this soulution has normally worked for me