Bipolar Disorder Community
Natural help for racing thoughts!!!!! :0)

Bipolar Disorder is also known as "Manic Depressive Disorder". This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder. The forum covers topics ranging from Aggressive Behavior, Affect on friends and Family, Alcohol and Drug Abuse, Appetite Changes, Chronic Pain, Denial, Depression, Difficulty Concentrating, Euphoria, Guilt, Manic Depression, Medications, Mood Swings, Poor Judgment, and Sleep Disorders

Hey guys, I have to share this so others can get relief too!  Back before I was diagnosed I had a sound machine to soothe my "busy" mind.  It played soothing ocean wave sounds among others.  Then it broke and I was so sad.  So I went to walmart and bought the one they carry.  It had ocean waves with seagulls and it was awful.  However, I have been suffering with using the raindrop noise on that machine for this past year, right after I got diagnosed, so my sleep has been poor along with crazy racing thoughts.  I decided a week ago to find a new sound machine like my old one, which they do not make anymore.  I found the groovy soothing sounds machine on ebay and it is amazing!!  I got it in two days ago and the ocean waves break up my racing thoughts! YIPPEEEE...  I like the ocean sound because I can breathe with it.  So relaxing and the best sleep I have had in over a year!  So, I wanted to pass along this information to help others get relief from those crazy racing thoughts!!  BTW, if you choose this machine is clear plastic and it has a blacklight in it that is bright and you can not turn it off. So I went to hobby lobby and got plastic paint and painted it, an excellent solution!!  Ok, my fellow bipolars, here is a drug free solution!!  
I have used those for sleep before. Unfortunately now I use ambien. I do have some melatonin, which is a natural herb So I am going to talk with my dr. so I will have his permission to take it. Just some info that may help if the ocean sounds start to stop working.

Barb
Thanks!  Ambien makes me see double and get very dizzy.  Also, is it not habit forming?  I think the ocean waves will work, because they have before.  I am just thankful to be getting awsome sleep!!  I use melatonin too, and it helps.  I also use Chamomile and Passion Flower capsules, they help me relax.  
I am going to try very hard to get rid of the Ambien and go on Melatonin. I am very drugged at night and that isn't good. I believe it is the combination of serouquel and Ambien. Take Care.

Barb
Melatonin is great, but do make sure you talk with your dr first even though it's OTC.  You can't take them with certain conditions such as autoimmune diseases.  Unfortunately for me.
I found out that 5mg of dissolving melatonin knocks me on my butt!  I love it...finally something natural that is really helping!  It is way better than the tablets because it hits the blood stream instantly!!  :0)   Oh, and that new noise machine...AHHH...best sleep I have had in ages!!
My psychiatric nurse practioner recommended I take Melatonin every night!  So I am a-ok!!
I'm glad you're doing so great right now!!  Not getting enough good sleep affects us physically and mentally.  I loved Melatonin when I could take it.  Got it out a few weeks ago to start taking it again and read about the AI diseases and not taking it with them.
I am going to try natural sleep tonight.  I am feeling drowsy!!  Ahh...lovely feeling.  I am going to try it and see.  The less stuff I have to take the better.  But, I will pop that melatonin if I need to!
Hope it works for you.  Helps me also to wear a sleep mask so that it is pitch black.  Seems the little bit of light coming through my eyelids keeps my brain wound up too tight.  
Me too!  I like it pitch black in order to sleep.  I use it especially when I sleep in and the sun peaks through my darkened light blocking curtins!
What exactly is the machine.  I've never bought anything on ebay but I think my husband has.
It is called the Groovy Black Lite Sound Machine.  I like the room dark and it has a built in black light.  I spray painted mine with black spray paint safe for plastic from Hobby Lobby.