Brain (Cerebral) Aneurysm Community
Do Ruptured And Unruptured Aneurysms Look the Same On an MRI?

WELCOME TO ANEURYSM THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Brain Aneurysms which is a weak or thin spot on a blood vessel in the brain that balloons out and fills with blood. The bulging aneurysm can put pressure on a nerve or surrounding brain tissue. It may also leak or rupture, spilling blood into the surrounding tissue (called a hemorrhage). Some cerebral aneurysms, particularly those that are very small, do not bleed or cause other problems. Cerebral aneurysms can occur anywhere in the brain, but most are located along a loop of arteries that run between the underside of the brain and the base of the skull.

I had an MRI about 2 weeks ago for ongoing skull base headaches and when they did it they said they found a possible 7mm aneurysm.  I am scheduled to go in for an MRA tomorrow to see if that is really what they saw or not.  My neurologist did not seem too concerned based on the symptoms I was having.  Of course all I could focus on was he said the word aneurysm.  I was wondering if it is an aneurysm would a ruptured and an unruptured aneurysm look the same on an MRI?  They did not indicate either way.  I imagine because they were not 100% that that is what it was.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If it were a ruptured aneruysm you would have been immediately hospitalized -so that's the good news.  At 7mm that is large.  Fortunately if one was going to have a diagnosis of a aneruysm today technology brings better choices and outcomes.  In NC you have some good facilities around.

For your protection and others I come in contact with having possible aneruysm surgery, I can't stress the following: I would strongly recommend that you make the following arrangements and documents because you can't do it afterwards.  They include: a power of attorney naming someone you trust, a medical power of attorney, and even a will.  This is not to alarm you at all but to put your mind at ease.  We had to scramble to get these documents when my wife had emergency clipping surgery and I don't recommend this approach.  You have the luxury of time to get these documents in place.   Again it's not to alarm you but the majority of people don't have these simple documents in place.  I wish you well and good luck!