Chiari Malformation Community
8 Weeks Post Op + Pseudo Treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

8 Weeks Post Op + Pseudo Treatment

I thought I'd post the good news I got yesterday. I'm about 8 weeks post op from my 4th surgery (this time with an NS I think is fabulous). I had an MRI and I got my results yesterday and they could not be better! My pseudomeningoclele is completely resolved -- there is no fluid anywhere that it shouldn't be for the first time in years. The space where the pseudomeningocele was is mostly filled in with muscle at this point. The CSF flow looks good and there's good space around my cerebellum. The new dural patch (which was placed due to a large hole in the old patch) looks good. My NS couldn't be happier.

In case anyone is dealing with pseudomeningocele treatment, I wanted to mention that my NS believes that using a lumbar drain for a few days after surgery is the key to not having pseudos reoccur. For the first five days I had to lay completely flat (bed at zero degrees, you can't even sit up for a second) with the lumbar drain in place in the ICU, where 30cc's of CSF was drained off every hour, around the clock. After the five days (which honestly were pretty brutal), they moved me to a regular room and removed the lumbar drain. On day 7 I was allowed stand up and on day 8 I went home. I know this was a long hospital stay, but after receiving my positive MRI results today, it all feels worth it!
This is wonderful news; I am SO happy for you!

And the Chiari knowledge base expands!  

Hi wonderful news so glad to hear this....

U know u mentioned something I forgot about....I had  asked b4 how many had a drain post op and most said no, so I thought  it was bcuz I had my pericardium harvested that I had one and the others did not....but, after what u said I am so glad I did as I am sure  this is y I did not have that set back.

Again so happy for u : )
Wonderful to hear!!! congrats!!!  Headed for my 4th on Monday and hoping my pseudo will be gone this time!  I am scheduled for five days with my LP shunt externalized and hopefully removed once they use it to drain CSF.  Crossing my fingers I can post like you did that all is well and the leak is closed!!! I hope it continues to go well for you and no return of pseudo or problems!  -zygy
Wow thats sooo nice!glad u found a great ns
Im 10 days post op and love hearing this positive news!!  Thanks so much for posting :)