Chiari Malformation Community
Chiari and ear problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Chiari and ear problems

Is it common to have a lot of ear trouble with Chiari?  Recently my hearing has been muffled and my ears ache.  I started taking Diamox recently.   I woke up a couple of days ago and spit out blood clots.  My ears suddenly felt better.  Not 100%, but a little better.  I'm pretty sure the blood clots came from my head/sinuses connected to my ears.  I saw an ENT and General Practitioner last month to make sure I didn't have an ear infection or other.  I was told I did not.  The blood clots have me a little worried.  Sorry if I grossed anyone out.
Kristel
Oh that would be kind of worrying to me is this happened to me! I know a lot of Chiari patients have tinnitus and pressure in the ears. Sometimes balance issues and ringing in the ears, so I imagine It could be related somehow, but I am not to sure what exactly would cause this. There are a lot of capillary vessels in the nose and sinus's that could easily rupture and leak. Maybe this spontaneously happened and naturally your sinus's and ears are connected. Maybe the blood somehow went to the path to your ears and caused pressure behind them. That would make since on how you woke and the clot came out, while laying down, if you sinus's were bleeding it seems like that would be a likely way for blood to drain toward your ears.    I am no doctor but so this is all a shot in the dark here, we just hope it goes away and it to be a benign occurence.    Good luck to you!

Hi Kristal,
  The blood clots would worry me as well.....did u call ur dr about this?

Ear issues r sooooooo typical of chiarians...it seems we all have them from the tinnitus as Stacey mentioned to just a fullness many others have reported .

I also had what I called a pain that felt like an ice pick jabbing me in the ear...no fun....along with fullness and buzzing and ringing too...so , it is a full gamete of ear issues which can impact hearing as well.

We all also have sinus issues which Stacey also mentioned....as it may be nothing much to worry about, it should be a part of ur medical records that u r having these issues, so do talk to ur dr about this.

"selma"
I agree with the others...I would definitely give your Dr a call about the blood clots.

I have a lot of ear problems too...I feel like I have a lot of pressure behind them. When it gets bad I feel them throbbing and I feel faint. I get the ice pick feeling and sometimes I get pain and my ear leaks a little.

My ears ring, buzz and forever have this white noise...like rushing water going past my ear. Sometimes my hearing cuts out in one ear and it makes me feel really weird. I also get times when I have my heartbeat thudding in my ear.

So...normal for CM...though not a normal thing in general!!

Carolyn
I am going to share something and it is a bit disturbing (to me atleast). But I want to share this because I think If this were to happen you need to seek medical help.   A ear symptom that could be a sign if a possible risk of  brain bleed is blood coming out of your ears.
Last June my godfather died of a massive brain bleed after stopping his high blood pressure meds.  He actually had a an ear bleed shortly before the major bleed happened and we didnt find this out until later. He had only told 1 person this happened because it frightened him and he didnt want to worry his family.   After the doctors pronounced him brain dead, they filled him with a cocktail of meds to keep him alive for organ donation. One of the drugs was to keep his blood pressure up, and shortly after this started, his ears started bleeding. By keeping the blood pressure up, they were pushing more blood in to his brain where a main artery had given out. It was terrible to know what was going on and if he wasnt gone before, he really was then.  
   After experiencing this, I warn people about bleeding ears if you have high blood pressure, I think it is a sort of warning sign.
Thank you for sharing such an important piece of information...I'm sorry to hear about your godfather that is really sad. Sometimes, we make the mistake of not recognizing some symptoms as being serious b/c we are faced with so much already so the warning is appreciated! The only fluid I have had come out of my ears is clear but I will definitely keep in mind what you have shared here.

Take care,
Carolyn
Thank you for the responses.  So far so good, no more blood clots.  I didn't share this with my doctor yet, but I will at my next appointment.  I think an infection was missed by the ENT and my Family Doctor.  

The Diamox is working somewhat.  The pressure on the roof of my mouth and teeth is much less severe.  I feel it, but it's not making me want to crawl out of my skin like before.  I'm a little worried about my Kidneys and the long term use of this medication along with the zonegran (generic) I'm on for my seizures.  

Have a great day!