Chiari Malformation Community
Is this brain surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Is this brain surgery?

My daughter is having decompression surgery in the morning. I really don't know but is this considered brain surgery or something else?

Julie
hi julie,,,yes, this is considered brain surgery.....may I ask who is doing her surgery?

"selma"
Good luck to your daughter! Hope all goes well!
No, this is spinal or back surgery done usually to alleviate pain caused by a pinched nerve from the disks in the back. A piece of the spinal vertebrae disk can be removed to stop pressure on that nerve.
I think u may be thinking about decompression for disk issues,
but the type of decompression surgery mentioned here in the CHIARI  forum is Posterior fossa decompression, it is done to relieve pressure on the brain stem from the part of the brain called the cerebellum ...this part of the brain has 2 tonsils which can herniate when the skull is mis shaped.....the surgery consists of opening the dura and chipping away bone to allow the CSF to flow ....this is brain surgery....and if there r ne other questions...please feel free to ask.

"selma"
Her surgery is being done by Dr. Carol Wadon at Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst NC. We will be on our way in about thirty minutes, Thanks for your answer.
Sending good vibes ~~~~ and prayers to ur DD and ur family and all in charge of her care.

Please post updates on her progress : )

"selma"
How did the surgery go???? Is she ok???
Julie is up with her and cannot reply. The surgery went well and she will be in the ICU recovery room soon. Thanks for thoughts and prayers. (her husband)
Thank u soooooooo much for the update...please let Julie and ur DD know we r praying for a smooth recovery : )

"selma"
Hope she has a speedy recovery and does well after recovering! Thoughts and prayers coming your way!
I am the daughter who had the brain surgery almost 3weeks ago. I have had constant headaches that I take fioricet to relieve at this point. This morning I had clear liquid dripping from the top of my incision. It stopped once I put a dressing on it, however the area remains damp on my skin. It hasn't gotten the dressing wet yet. I'm concerned this might be a csf leak and I'm not sure what to do. The dr on call has mentioned just to watch it, but I'm nervous it could be more serious. I've been light headed today and had a headache however I always have headaches,so I just don't know what to do. I am so close to being able to do things outside of my house and I'm hoping this isn't as bad as I've heard it could be.
Hi..I am so sorry u r having this issue in addition to all the typical chiari day to day things to deal with....

It sounds as tho u may have a CSF leak...does ur HA get worse upon standing or changing position?....a CSF leak will be more bothersome when upright...keep hydrated, drink plenty of water...drink some caffeinated bevs as well and lie flat for a few days...it can help it self seal.....if not u may need a blood patch to help seal the leak.

To still have HA's or symptoms is typical for this condition.....as u r still in the very early stages of healing...and as u heal u will have symptoms resurface....it is normal....but the leaking is not.

I had a CSF leak after childbirth...and I was in the hospital the whole time lying flat in bed...even had to eat lying on my side....the best thing u can do is to rest, rest and then rest...and drink plenty of water.

If u do not get nauseated or the HA do not get worse when u r upright, u just may have a little oozing that may not be much of nething...but the lying flat and keeping hydrated will help just in case it is a leak.

Good luck and do keep us posted : )

"selma"
The same thing happened to me after my surgery last year. All I had was leakage out of my incision area. I had no headaches, no nausea, nothing that they said  I would have if it were CSF. My leakage started as an occasional drip and then proceeded to a steady leak after a couple of days. A CT scan was done which showed a small pocket of CSF. I has a lumbar drain inserted and had to lay flat for 4 days. It was very uncomfortable, but it was well worth it because it worked.
If I were you, I would most certainly have it checked out if it continues. Better to be safe. Let me know how it turns out.
Good luck to you

kkratz