Neurologist or Neurosurgeon?
Do I need to see a Neurologist before I see a Neurosurgeon?  I am wondering if my problem lies in the fact that I am seeing Neurosurgeons instead of Neurologists.  Will a Neurologist explain to me better what is going on than a Neurosurgeon who is just looking into surgery?  Every NS I have seen has not explained anything to me and they act as if I already know what the diagnosis means.  I have not had it explained to me by a doctor yet.  The only info I have gotten is from the internet!!  Just wondering if I am doing things backwards.  Should a Neurologist be seen before a Neurosurgeon?

Wow, that's a good question, Imo, I would see a neurologist first, I've been seen by a nl since dx'd with chiari in 2001\2002. She has been the one referring me to the ns...but I do think nl then ns.
Mazie
Hello, well the only real treatment for this condition is surgery.  The problem may be that you are not seeing a true Chiari specialist.  Most of these are NS's.  I think if you want to try to manage symptoms a NL who is familiar with Chiari may be able to help you. My experience has been with the 4 NL's that I have seen is they dont understand it and want to diagnose migraines.  My primary care is trying to manage symptoms for me while I await surgery. I havent had any luck finding a NL.  My doctor is a NS who specializes in CM.  I hope this helps.

Pam

Hi....generally a NL will dx, and treat with meds and PT...and a NS of course treats only if u r a surgical candidate.....

Not too many NL's r chiari specialists unless they work together....many chiari NS have a NL they have u see b4 the NS.

If u have a good NL close to home that has some education with chiari that is great as u will need one for post op care too!! So be sure to find a good NL as well as a good NS, they r both equally important.

May I ask, did u have a CINE MRI?...to check for CSF obstruction and overcrowding?...did the drs rule out a syrinx?......tethered cord?.....Ehlers-Danlos?....sleep apnea....a NL may be helpful in doing these tests and getting the info to u so u have a better understanding of what is going on, but u do need testing to rule these out.

"selma"