Chiari Malformation Community
Tests all done, now I need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

Tests all done, now I need help

I finally did get in to a ns that has chiari experience. Had all the normal tests, now he can't see me for a follow up until Jan. 17th, I hate all the waiting games. I have the results that I'd like to post and see if anyone understands any of it, if any of it means anything, and can help me understand more. Original MRI said 6mm herniation and nothing more.

Cervical Spine
In midline there is approximately 3mm of tonsillar ectopia. Just to right of midline, approximately 4.5mm of tonsillar ectopia. Tonsils have pegged appearance and there is certainly crowding at level of foramen magnum. No evidence of cervical cord syrinx. The neural foramina are patent.

Thoracic Spine
There is mild dextroscoliotic curvature. No evidence of syrinx. Low normal position of the conus medullaris, terminating at the superior L2 level.

CSF flow
Ample csf flow is identified in the ventral pre-pontine, pre-medullary, and ventral cervical subarachnoid spaces. There is no significant bulk motion of the cerebellar tonsils. Retrocerebellar cistern is effaced without significant csf flow in this area. Minimal superior to inferior flow is identified in the foramen of magendie during the systolic phase. There is little measurable directional flow within the fourth ventricle.

Impression: Decreased csf flow within the fourth ventricle, formen of magendie, and retrocerebellar cistern compatible with patients chiar 1

If anyone knows what any of this does mean please help out. Of course they also found a herniated disc to add to the mix. I was sure they would find out something else is going on somewhere between my shoulders as well, the pain, tightness and knots between my shoulders and up into my neck is unreal, is this a common chiari symptom?

Thanks in advance for any help. I spend much time reading the posts here, but to find something I read before that I want to see again seems virtually impossible sometimes.

Hi...well it states u have restricted CSF flow with no formation of a syrinx in the cervical spine....the area in which u have the restricted flow is typical for those with Chiari.

Did they do a  lumbar spine MRI too? as we can have syrinx's there too,.it states where ur conus ends and I would imagine it would have been a lumbar spine MRI but it is listed under thoracic...??

Since u have disk issues and according to this a form of scoliosis...although mild....did they look for tethered cord? as it can be a reason for scoliosis in many of us.

Have u tried the search this community feature? If u type in the topic u will get other threads on the topic and it should help u locate older threads.

If not u can always ask....I can usually find them.

Hope this helps : )

No lumbar mri, which had me wondering as well about the conus. Says the herniation is small, but I surely feel it! No mention anywhere of tethered cord. I have said for years, with lack of how to explain it, that it feels like my spinal cord is too short. If I bend my head forward I can feel it pull in my neck down through my shoulders. I have had scholiosis for 18 years now, being told before that the spine curves in 2 places.The ns was a bit stand offish. Basically saying I don't need to tell you your main symptoms fit chiari, I'm ordering these other tests and we will go from there. I am thinking now that these tests are done I may send it all to the institute and see what they recommend, just gotta figure out how to do it.

I have tried searching, but much of what I search are the medical terms and much of the time there isn't a lot that comes up.

Is the neck/shoulder pain I have normal? The feeling of short cord with chiari? Where the conus ends normal?
I also looked at my images, not that I have a clue what I am looking at....but one of the images has a spot that looks real funny, that they measured. I was sure the reports would've mentioned that, considering it's the area in between my neck and shoulders that causes me so much pain. How would I share that on here and see if anyone has any ideas what it could mean?

Selma, you are amazing! Even though I don't post, I read a lot and I see so much information come from you. I knew you would be the first to answer, waited actually for your answer figuring you would know so much. You are truly appreciated! I hate to see how much you have had to go thru, but to help everyone else soooooo much....you are a saint! Thank you!

Hi u can upload ur MRI pics...just be sure they do not have ne personal info as this is a public forum...some had SS # on them so be sure they do not have info or use photo shop to blacken out ur name etc...and then post in ur profile....

That neck shoulder pain is normal for chiari, but u also want to rule out all related conditions as they can also cause pains that many Drs will discount as chiari.

Well let me know what u want more info on and I will show u how to locate that info here...u can also look to the Health Pages too.

But we have sooooooo many threads on similar topics that people ask about so u can read them to see what others said too.