Chiari Malformation Community
chiari and chiropractic

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Chiari Malformation and Living with Chiari Malformation.

chiari and chiropractic

I am 4 years post decompression surgery for chiari malformation. I had c1 laminectomy with a alloderm patch. I am having a new symptom which I dont know if its related to the chiari or not. Its severe arm pain which seems to radiate up to the upper cervical area. I haven't seen my NS in 2 years as he said I would have to live with the ongoing symptoms I have after the surgery. i'm not sure if I should go back to him or should I try a chiropractor? My GP did an mri in april 2012 which was seemingly ok, but the pain started in july 3 months after the mri. Im confused as to what to do.

Hi and welcome to the Chiari forum.

Since the pain is new, I doubt it is residual issues from surgery...I wonder tho if u have a related issue/condition that may be causing the pain...

Does the pain feel like it is coming from muscle or the joint?

I would not go to a chiro as u still do not want to have ur neck  area manipulated.....

Did u get a MRI of the area that u r having the pain?
Thanks for responding, No I didn't have this area looked at yet. It is in both shoulders and arms, Severe pain that is worsened by use. I can do hardly anything. Have to have help with even dressing myself. When I push on the affected muscle below the shoulder I get a shooting pain into the cervical area, like c1. I  wondered if it could possible have anything to do with the laminectomy. I had an MRI in april but it showed nothing. The pain started after that though. Its so bad it literaly takes my breath away. Why is chiropractor not good when the chiari Issue is technically gone? I am only trying to understand tis better and my research ability is limited due to eye pain from the chiari symptoms.
Was your cervical spine looked at carefully for compression?
My understanding is that Chiari and chiropractic care do not mix. My neurosurgeon told me that having a chiropractor adjust your neck when you have Chiari "is like standing on the edge of a tiger pit and having someone give you a push." I also had a chiropractor tell me that chiropractic care in the neck area is contraindicated for those with Chiari. If you think about it, your brain is still herniated -- basically hanging down into your spinal column, regardless of whether or not a NS has made more room in there. Neck adjustments can put a sudden squeeze on the part of the cerebellum that hangs down. Scary.

I would consider finding a new NS to talk to about this if your old one has told you that you need to live with symptoms. My old NS had an "I already fixed you, what's your problem?" attitude and completely missed that I had a large hole in my dural patch. You know yourself and your symptoms, so keep trying until you find a doc who will listen to you. Good luck!
No as a matter of fact it was my GP that ordered the MRI and he didn't even contact me after. He sent a note saying it was negative. Thats all I was told.

It is a falicy that surgery removes the Chiari and that it is no longer an issue to contend with.....

Once u have Chiari u will always have it, as chiari is the malformation of the skull, surgery is done to restore CSF flow and slow progression....

A chiropractor could manipulate u in such a way that could hurt u, since with decompression surgery a laminectomey is usually done at C1 and C2 making this  vulnerable area of the spine weaker...

The issues u want to exclude is EDS, ICP, POTS, TOS, .....and scar tissue.
How would Neuro surgeons make money from operating on patients every 2-4 years for the same thing is you went to a Chiropractor first and your Chiari "got better"
I only know what EDS is not the others. I do think I have EDS as i've had 3 meniscus tears since my surgery, both hips and a knee.Is this what EDS does?? I'm wondering if I might have another in my shoulders, causing the arm pain.I dont know what these other abreviations are?? Thanks for your help.

I also did not think I had EDS either...but I do...let me tell u I was shocked...there are so many types and I never tried to move the way  many that are double jointed do as it looked as if it would hurt....but, the NP that tested me for it with the NL saw that my joints were indeed lax......and I always knew I bruised easy and was slow to heal, the thing is there are many types of EDS this is just one....

Oh Deff...tears like that are deff EDS...the skin and muscle and connective tissues r more fragile....

POTS-Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS, also postural tachycardia syndrome) is a condition of dysautonomia,[1] to be more specific orthostatic intolerance, in which a change from the supine position to an upright position causes an abnormally large increase in heart rate, called tachycardia. Several studies show a decrease in cerebral blood flow with systolic and diastolic cerebral blood flow (CBF) velocity decreased 44% and 60%, respectively.[2] Patients with POTS have problems maintaining homeostasis when changing position, i.e. moving from one chair to another or reaching above their heads. Many patients also experience symptoms when stationary or even while lying down.

ICP- intracranial hypertension is excess build up of CSF fluid causing pressure.

TOS-Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition whereby symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels, or both, because of an inadequate passageway through an area (thoracic outlet) between the base of the neck and the armpit.