Child Behavior Expert Forum
3 yr, 8 mon potty training resistance

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

3 yr, 8 mon potty training resistance
I know everyone has heard of the potty resistant boys and the advice always come down to "let it go" and eventually, someday, your child will magically choose to cooperate.  Sadly, reality is just not permitting this.  Due to his age, the child care facilities in the area refuse to accept kids that won't use potty.  I am in a financial crisis from missing work because I cannot get a reliable sitter (and private sitters get 12 to 15 an hour in this area, leaving me broke after paying them, if they show up at all, and have consistently left him in overflowing diapers).  I found only one facility that would take him but left him in his filth all day, resulting in horrible diaper rash, infectious condition, and wholly gross.  He is intelligent, wakes dry, but has simply resisted everything from rewards, to going naked (no qualms about messing on floor), every specialized potty seat out there, pees and poops in underwear and will sit in it, refuses to tell us when he's wet or pooped (or if he needs to).  We are at the point where he must change his own pull up, but we do not want to force him to sit on potty.  There must be some way to encourage, so he chooses this, without just ignoring it.  I can't afford this anymore.  I need potty trained to be accepted in child care so I can work.  I've already lost our health insurance for lack of hours, so I am desperate!
Why not have him sit on the potty?Why are you resistant to doing that?