Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 Year Old Constantly Licking Hands/Arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My 5 year old is constantly licking his hands, arms and now his knees. It started about a year ago but before that he was licking his fingers while eating and it was not as bad as it is now. Now it's getting out of control. He is constantly doing it in school and he has been getting sick a lot lately. Sick with colds. His hands and fingers are getting very dry and red. I'm getting really worried that he won't stop. Do I take him to a specialist for this? I mean, I don't even know where to take him. Which Doctor? He has his 6 year check up next month and I will let his Pediatrician know. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Yes, broach this with his pediatrician at his annual visit. Some of the time such behavior is symptomatic of meatbolic or nutritional problems, though chances are that this is not the case. But it needs to be considered. So you needn't seek a specialist - leave it to the pediatrician. Such behavior can also be typical of some children who display developmental disorders, and such behavior can also be symptomatic of some anxiety conditions that develop into habit patterns. For now, focus on the strictly medical considerations.