Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old wants to quit activities
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

6 year old wants to quit activities

My 6 year old daughter is involved in a Ballet class, Gymnastics class and a cooking class.  Each are held one day a week and are separate from school.  She has suddenly decided she wants to quit both the Ballet and Gymnastics classes.  (Her cousin also goes to the cooking class and that might be why she is willing to continue and loves that class.) I don't mind her quiting the Ballet class but I'm upset with her quiting the Gymnastics.  She LOVED the gymnastics class up to 3 weeks ago when they made changes to the groups the kids were divided into.  My daughter was very upset with the change and this is why she wants to quit.  I have continued to take her hoping she will get back into it.  She gives me a really hard time getting her to the class and getting her to go into her group, but once she gets started she seems to have a good time.  When she is done the class, she tells me she still wants to quit.  She is very shy and not very coordinated, so I thought this would be a good class to help her with her coordination.  I was also a very shy and not very coordinated child and was always picked last in gym class at school.  I don't want this to happen to my child and that is why I would like to get her involved in things that I feel will help her.  Am I doing her more harm in wanting her (and I guess forcing her) to continue with the gymnastics or should I just let her quit and hope things will go differently for her in school and gym?  I would hate for her to quit just because of her shyness.

Sorry for the long letter.
Thank you for any advice you can give me.
Dina