Child Behavior Expert Forum
9 year old son still wetting the bed

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

9 year old son still wetting the bed

My son is 9 years old and still wets the bed every night. He wears a pull-up at night but he pees more then the pull-up holds. He was using a nose spray for about 6 months and staying dry nightly with it. We moved to a new city and he began wetting the bed again even when taking the nose spray. I thought it was just due to the stress of the move but we have been in the same place for 2 years now and still no dry nights. I also have a 5 year old and an 18 month old and I am worried about my 9 year old because he seems to pees more at night then either of the other boys. I have tried the waking him up about 11 at night to go to the restroom but that didnt seem to help. I dont allow any drinks from 6 pm on and he goes to bed at 8:30 pm. I make sure he goes to the bathroom every night right before he lays down so I thought he would have and empty bladder wen he fell asleep and would be able to hold it through the night. I've talked to his dr about it but he say's to just leave it alone. I'm not sure I fully trust his dr and want to get someone elses opinion. I am also worried that if he continues that it will hold my other boys back from not wetting the bed at night. Should I consult another dr or just wait and see if he stops on his own? And if I should wait how long till I should worry?
Nocturnal enuresis is evident in approx. 5% of children his age. It is not wise to be waking him. As he gest older this will resolve. He initially had a positive reaction to desmopressin (DDAVP). Trying a different preparation might be useful. Eventually this will resolve itself.