Child Behavior Expert Forum
Disrespectful 14 year old daughter
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Disrespectful 14 year old daughter

How do I get through to my 14 year old daughter about her disrespect? She is a great kid, an A student with honors classes, beautiful girl, plays sports, liked by her peers and teachers, but she can't seem to make and keep friends to hang out with outside of school or church and gets really depressed about that. She doesn't like to do things with groups when she is asked to go out. She just seems to be hateful all the time with her Dad and I. We try to ask how her day was, I sit with her and help with homework every night (at her request) but everything always turns into an argument and procrastination with her. She tells me that I overwhelm her when I try to keep her focused on homework (2 to 3 hours a night). Her and I have a very close relationship and it breaks my heart. My problem is that taking things away from her doesn't seem to matter because she will say "it doesn't matter I don't go anywhere or have friends anyway" she doesn't really watch TV or get on the computer other than for homework. She already has chores that she doesn't have time to do, she goes to school, practice, home, chores, shower, dinner, homework and bed. Weekends we do things together as a family such as church, traveling, etc and we spend most of our time with her. Her dad also feels left out and hurt because we do alot of girl things together and she doesn't want him to go with us, which puts more stress on me.
242606_tn?1243786248
She sounds like an unhappy child, though obviously competent in many ways. Arrange an evaluation for her with a mental health clinician (preferably a woman) who specializes in treating adolescents.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank