Child Behavior Expert Forum
Eating problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Eating problems

My son is 7 1/2 years old. He eats very little or should I say there are very few things he will eat. He has never had the usual foods most children have--hot dogs, pb&j, a sandwich, vegetables, fruit, etc. He will eat food high in carbohydrates--pretzels, popcorn, waffles (no syrup), cereal and he'll eat certain sweets. The doctor keeps telling me not to worry, make sure he gets a multivitamin, he'll eat one day and he hasn't fallen off his curve. He has no body fat at all. I have tried on a few occassions to make him eat what his brothers were eating and telling him it was eat that or nothing. He wins--he will go days without food. If I think too hard about the lack of eating, it makes me crazy. Is this a potential eating disorder? Am I worrying for nothing? When I ask him to just try a bite of something,he always says it doesn't look good.
Dear Ms. Thessin,

No, your son's behavior does not sound like incipient eating disorder. The pediatrician's advice is very wise; you won't be making a mistake if you take it to heart.

One adjustment you might make is around the types of food you have in the house. Perhaps you abet his habits a bit by making too many of the desired (but not particularly nutritious) foods available.

Try not to think about this in terms of winning/losing. It's not a contest. Simply prepare sensible meals, offer them to him, and let nature take its course. He'll be OK.
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, eating problems was started.