Child Behavior Expert Forum
Four year old son will not eat

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Four year old son will not eat

Since my son was a baby he has not been a good eater.  He had nursing issues as he was a NICU baby and never got the latch right.  So I pumped and gave him my milk with a bottle and a fast flow nipple as he just didn't have a good suck reflex.  But did well with this till it was time to start first foods.  We tried at 6 months but just gagged or spit it out.  Our doctor said to wait a little longer as he was premature.  So we tried again at 8 months, but still wasn't ready.  At 10 months we finally were about to get him to swallow very thinned oatmeal baby cereal.  But would not eat any of the first fruits or veggies till almost 14 months.  Second foods were easy to transition to, but there was a complete roadblock at stage three foods.  When my son was 2 years old he entered Early Intervention (a program in New Jersey for toddlers not meets their milestone markers).  Though Early Intervention doesn't technically do Feeding Therapy, the Speech Pathologist that worked with him did a little food work.  She was able to get him to eat graham crackers, and also yogurt.  But again a complete road block to anything else.  With some struggles we have now been able to get him to eat mac'n cheese, pancakes and sometimes (I stress sometimes chicken nuggets and hotdog).  But absolutely no fruits, veggies or what I would call real proteins.  On our own, we substituted his morning milk with Pediacare - Ensure.  He turned 4 in December and over the last  couple of months we has stopped eating pancakes and mac'n cheese. So right now today he mostly just eats yogurt, graham crackers, baby food fruits (squeezie pouch things in the market these days) and the occasional chicken nugget.  This cannot be a healthy diet for a growing four-year-old boy.  Can you suggest anything to get him on track with his diet?
1 Comment
In addressing eating and diet issues with children, the key is to determine if the child is developing in a normal fashion and you should consult his pediatrician about this. A limited diet in itself is not a cause for alarm. It invites intervention if the child is not gaining adequate nutrition.