Child Behavior Expert Forum
My 6 year old son has recently started urinating in the house
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My 6 year old son has recently started urinating in the house

Over the last month or two my six year old son has started urinating in his room, the kitchen, my room and the laundry room.  When we ask why he did it he says he doesn't know he just does.  The bathroom is in close proximity to all 4 areas.
Is this normal and how do I stop this?  I have tried taking toys and other things away from him.  There are days he promises me that he will use the potty. Any suggestions will be helpful

Thank you
Related Discussions
242606_tn?1243786248
The most important thing to do is figure out why your son is doing this. Any particulalr behavior can occur for a variety of reasons. For example, a child can behave in this manner as a form of so-called acting out - that is, as an expression of anger. Or, the behavior can occur due to fear or due to obsessive thoughts. Regardless of the reason, it's OK to establish a systematic behavioral plan to address it as part of the intervention. You can figure out a reward for using the toilet, as well as a consistent consequent (e.g., no television for that night) for violating the rule. But make an appointment for him with a pediatric mental health clinician to figure out the reason(s) for the behavior.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank