Child Behavior Expert Forum
Retaining information

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Retaining information

It seems my son who is 12 and has been diagnosed ADHD a long time ago. Has great difficulty retaining information. His spelling is below that of a fourth grader, his writing is just as bad. He goes to KUMON to get help in math but had to start at a 3rd grade level. My husband and I go over spelling with him over and over and it seems like his brain turns on and off when it wants to and he just doesn't get it. I believe there is something more to his learning impariment than just ADHD, b/c even on meds he may concentrate but I don't believe he is learning and retaining the information. Can you please help? I honestly feel like he just doesn't get it, not just in school but on things like doing wrong and being on punishment, he acts as if he forgets why the next day.. Can you help.
Yes, your son displays signs of a learning disability. The symptoms you describe cannot be attributed to ADHD alone. He should be evaluated in school and an Individualized Educational Program (IEP) should be designed. Part of his difficulty ivolves working memory, but his problems with learning go beyond that as well.