Child Behavior Expert Forum
Smegma Cyst

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Smegma Cyst

I took my son to a pediatric urologist(who diagnosed a "smegma cyst") about a week ago when I discovered a small white area located at the rim of his penis, just before the head (I had to pull back the foreskin in order to see it).  
The white area seemed to be broken open and the white material in the area was coming out (I could wipe it away), however, this caused a lot of discomfort for my son.  

Since last week, the "cyst" has disappeared (all of the white material has come out) and all that's left is a raw area, it seems to have broken the skin there, as if it was split open.

I am keeping triple-anitbiotic ointment on it at least once a day and it seems to be causing my son minimal discomfort, however; I am wondering what I can do (if anything) to prevent this from happening again?  Is this some hygenic thing that I am doing wrong or is it something that will continually recur at which point I will eventually have to have him re-circumcised?

Please advise, thank you.
This Forum answers questions about child and teen behavioral and emotional issues, not about management of medical situations. Be sure to check with your son's pediatrician for guidance, though.