Child Behavior Expert Forum
What is a 7 yr olds attention span as well as organizational skills

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My concern is of my 7 year old daughter.  My problem is with how easy it is for people to consider children these days as being attention deficite.  My daughter is 7 and she is having so problems at school.  I am told by her teacher that she may have attention deficite due to my daughters organization and completing task skills.

I would like to know exactly what is expected of a child who is 7 years old. She is currently in a class room where the teacher is teaching both 1st and 2nd graders in one room.  I as have notices that because of this that the children are given tasks and not supervised as much as they should be.  I believe that my daughters problems at school stems from the lack of supervision.

When I am at home I can give my child a task or chore she will complete that ontime.  She does have alot of energy, but I believe that energy is good for a growing child.  I have watch here very closely and I don't see this as being to the extreme as her teacher is telling me.  

I also understand that staying on task at a early age is vital for a childs developement, but I do not think that todays educational system is teaching the children time management as well as the importance of staying on task.  

So I guess what I am asking is what things do you take in to consideration in a child who has attention deficite disorder.  Do you take in to consideration the childs environment, A child that has just been up rooted to a new city (we had just moved this last summer).  Or am I just making excuses and there is not relivence to my opinion?
Dear Ms. Maddox,

In general, it is fair to expect that your average seven-year-old, given appropriate instruction and supervision, should be able to attend to normal classroom expectations and complete the assigned work.

When a child displays some problems with attention, the important consideration is whether this interferes with mastery of the material at the respective grade level. Some children experience difficulty with organization or attention, but it's not much of an impediment to successful functioning. For others, the problems do interfere with success.

Relative to the difference between functioning at home and at school, there is often discrepancy in children's behavior and skills in the two settings. As you know, the two situations are not at all similar. Thus, simply because you might see your child display some skill at home does not, in and of itself, mean that the same level of achievement will be evident at school.
1 Comment
A related discussion, how can i judge my child's right  attention span. was started.