Child Behavior Expert Forum
refuses to go poop in potty

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

refuses to go poop in potty

My son will turn 4 on October 25th 2010. He refuses to go poop in the potty and i have to force him to just go pee. He tells me he is too little or he is scared to go in the toilet. He comes up with every excuse in the book and if i try to hold him there so he can't get up he'll hit me and try to bite me til i let him up. I've tried everything i know of to get him potty trained, underwear, pull ups, no underwear at all just letting him be nude but then he went all over his bedroom floor. He now takes his dirty pull ups off and dumps the poop out in his toy box. I don't know what to do i need help. I can't put him in preschool until he is potty trained and he has been kicked out of daycare because of it as well. What can i do? Could there be a medical reason behind all this like ADHD? He is extremely defiant all around.
1 Comment
No, ADHD plays no role in this. Strong willed children generally take longer to accomplish toilet training. You are allowing this to be a struggle and thoe more you do that the longer it will take. It's important that you pull back, stop acting in such a forceful way, and adopt a reassuring, patient approach. Reward him when he does use the potty. Now if he puts his pull up in the toy box or any such behavior, don't let that go. Let him know the content of his pull up should go in the potty. Give him a five minute time out if he doesn't follow that rule. Otherwise, be patient and supportive. The more he sees that you are overly invested in his accomplishing this task the more he will resist it.