Child Behavior Expert Forum
ritalin
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ritalin

My eleven year old son has been on Ritalin (methylphenidate) for about 2 1/2 years  at a dose of 10 mg. 3 times a day. We didn't like the rebound he was having between doses so we tried Adderall (adderrall) and even at 20 mg./day it didn't give him the anger control the Ritalin did. We are now trying Ritalin SR at 20 mg. once a day and the anger is a little better, however he said he feels it wearing off after 6 hours. We thought it should last 8 hours. I have 3 questions: If 10 mg. of the regular Ritalin worked, what is the equivalent of the time release form? Could it be that he is 'outgrowing' the 10 mg. dose? Also, even at 20 mg. the Adderall (adderrall) wasn't effective---could that be due to an inadequate dose or could it just be my son's body chemistry? We would like to avoid taking his meds at school.