Child Behavior Expert Forum
temper tantrums in almost 6 year old

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

temper tantrums in almost 6 year old

My daughter is almost 6.  She's very bright, but sensitive. She has a tendency to go a for a month or two of pretty good behavior, then we'll have maybe 2 weeks of naughtiness etc. In Pre-K & Kindergarten she was a dream for the teachers. She's never been in trouble at school &gets along well with classmates.But since about the middle of May, we've been dealing with sassiness, temper tantrums, pouting, crying, rudeness, etc. She used to be good as gold in public &would never misbehave in front of other people. But now she is inclined to cry hysterically or throw temper tantrums in front of friends or family (I do think she only does it for her daddy &me but still in front of others) when things don't go her way. Ever since she was very young, I've never given in to temper tantrums or crying & I still don't. I have taken away toys, ignored bad behavior, & tried many other things. We've talked about how this behavior is unacceptable, she can't act this way in school and so on. Also since the end of May, she has had 4 episodes of night terrors & 2 of sleepwalking. I am very strict about keeping her on a bedtime schedule. But all of the night terrors happened when we had been visiting family & had some late nights.Nothing unusual happened in the spring when the behavior gradually started.  We have spent all summer with bad behavior. For a few days, it seemed like she was coming back to being herself but then we've had more episodes.I feel like I am walking on eggshells waiting for the next meltdown. I don't enjoy being with her because it seems everything is a battle. I give her plenty of opportunities to make choices & help with projects around the house. She is an only child &gets lots of attention but can & does amuse herself when needed. As a teacher I thought I'd know how to deal with her but I don't. I'm worn down and frustrated. She & I have tempers which doesn't help. She swats at her daddy when he tells her what to do but doesn't try it with me. What do we do?
I will give you a straightforward, systematic guide to solve your situation. Read Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents and follow the guidelines precisely (see www.sosprograms.com). The problem rests in the parent/child domain and that is where it needs to be solved.